PDA

View Full Version : My Forty Cent Day at Arlington Park

LutherCalvin
09-20-2003, 09:57 PM
I had the opportunity to use my free racing pass at Arlington Park today. I got to the park five minutes before post and rushed to the machine to place my bets for the Daily Double. I hubcapped my pick in the first race with my three top choices in the second, grabbed my tickets, and went outside as the horses were loading in the post. I felt the adrenaline rush in my system as I watched my horse, #7 Katie's Kalling (a 3-2 favorite) win by a head bob over #3 Jaguar City (who I had figured to be the primary competition). That's a good omen, winning the first race, I thought. Then I thought "Damn, I should have played the Exacta." I had written my top three choices 3-6-7 on my downloaded and printed Daily Racing Form . Well at least I'm in good shape for the double- or so I thought. I examined my tickets and realized I had looked at my top three horses in the first race instead of the second when I played the Double. So instead of a 3-8-10 in the second half of the double I had coupled my first race winner with 3-6-10. I looked at the horse I mistakenly didn't play, Suspicious, who had the top Beyer in his last race. I mulled over buying insurance by betting on the nag I didn't have in my double. "You know that horse is gonna win," I thought to myself, "No, I got a good shot with my two other picks, and besides I'd be betting against myself," I went outside to watch the race. One of my horses, Better Place, led all the way until the final sixteenth until he was collared by- you guessed it- Suspicious, the horse I had left out of my Double bets. I just shook my head knowingly. I looked at the numbers I had written down for the second race and realized that I had the exacta again but had not played it. In races three and four I decided to play the Exactas but had only one half of the combination in both races. I was disgusted and thought to myself, "If I don't win the next race, I'm leaving." I looked at my pick in the fifth race, Be Factual, and saw that he was an odds-on choice on the tote board. "Damn," I thought to myself," I ain't gonna play that horse." He was the sole speed in the race, but I noticed that the distance of the race was a furlong further than he had ever traveled before. "False favorite", my mind screamed. I looked at the Form. Only one horse, Lighthouse Lil, a closer at 3-1 had even went the mile and 1/8 distance and had finished evenly in that race. The filly had won her last race in closing fashion. The next to last race Lil had lost to the present 3/5 favorite, Be Factual, but had made up 6 and 1/4 lengths in the stretch in a race that was a furlong shorter. I played Lighthouse Lil to win, doubling my prime bet. The race ran according to form. Be Factual, the only speed, led from start to late stretch. I watched Lighthouse Lil trail the field as the crowd oohed at the tremendous daylight lead that the 3/5 favorite had. Then Lil made her move with Carlos Marquez urging her on. I marveled as she ran with her tail perpendicular to the ground and began to chew up the turf. I was strangely confident as I watched her mow down the 3/5 favorite as the crowd collectively groaned. "I love this game," I thought as I collected my winnings. After all was said and done, I had lost forty cents for the day. Just another day at the races.

superfecta
09-21-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by LutherCalvin
I was strangely confident as I watched her mow down the 3/5 favorite as the crowd collectively groaned. "I love this game," I thought as I collected my winnings. After all was said and done, I had lost forty cents for the day. Just another day at the races. Neat feeling huh?Wonder what we could name it(that split second in the stretch when you know you won the race ,no doubt,no worry,no excitement,just a peaceful easy feeling).

Kentucky Bred
09-22-2003, 07:52 AM
...you can make $120 every year at this rate!

Kentucky Bred