PDA

View Full Version : BC 2010. I barely bet any races because I just wanted to root for my favorite horses.

Zippy Chippy
11-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Is anyone else more of a fan than a bettor? Day 2 of the Breeders Cup I was all ready to make tons of bets, but there was so many horses I wanted to root for and didn't want any bets to take away from my enjoyment of watching the races. I think every race Saturday I had a sentimental choice. Anyone else feel the same way?

NTamm1215
11-08-2010, 08:11 PM
I cheered for the horses I bet on.

RXB
11-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Is anyone else more of a fan than a bettor? Day 2 of the Breeders Cup I was all ready to make tons of bets, but there was so many horses I wanted to root for and didn't want any bets to take away from my enjoyment of watching the races. I think every race Saturday I had a sentimental choice. Anyone else feel the same way?

I'd say that was smart of you to lay off. As soon as sentiment gets involved in your wagering, trouble ensues.

I didn't make any bets on Friday. I was volunteering for much of Saturday and only got home in time to watch the Classic, which I didn't bet. I guess I might've enjoyed the race in retrospect if I'd bet Blame but I think those two minutes themselves were more enjoyable just as a racing fan rather than as someone with an invested interest.

Zippy Chippy
11-08-2010, 08:33 PM
I'd say that was smart of you to lay off. As soon as sentiment gets involved in your wagering, trouble ensues.

I didn't make any bets on Friday. I was volunteering for much of Saturday and only got home in time to watch the Classic, which I didn't bet. I guess I might've enjoyed the race in retrospect if I'd bet Blame but I think those two minutes themselves were more enjoyable just as a racing fan rather than as someone with an invested interest.

Theres nothing worse than having a bet on another horse and seeing your favorite horse going for the lead, but you have $20 wp on a 30-1 shot and not knowing who to root for. Definitely takes the fun away IMO

horses4courses
11-08-2010, 08:48 PM
I won't get seriously involved in races that I can't narrow down to four, or fewer, contenders - with a view to betting exactas.

In the BC, that leaves quite a few unplayable races for me.
You just have to spread too wide.

I played a few small PK3s and PK4s for an interest - nothing to dent the bankroll, though.

The one race I took a swing at was the Juvenile.
Uncle Mo and BAT were standouts to me. A Nevada house quinella, and a weighted ex-box got me close to 4-1 to my money - I was happy with that.

My only regret was not playing Dangerous Midge to Blame in a DD.
I liked both of them, but did not pull the trigger.