PDA

View Full Version : The Power of Twinkies, Powdered Donuts & Little Debbie

bigmack
11-08-2010, 05:26 PM
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s254/hunkoburninlove/twinkies.png

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

boxcar
11-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Yup, Rush talked about this today. This guy just blew a liberal myth out of water. It's in the caloric intake, stupid! :D

Meanwhile, Frisco just passed a law forbidding Big Mac toys in foods the city deems non-nutritional. They bill this as "food justice"! :bang: :bang: :bang:

Boxcar

Jay Trotter
11-08-2010, 07:59 PM
It must be a sad little world you live in where everything goes back to a polarized political viewpoint!

Can't you just for once say, "ah, I did not know that"? :faint:

Yup, Rush talked about this today. This guy just blew a liberal myth out of water. It's in the caloric intake, stupid! :D

Meanwhile, Frisco just passed a law forbidding Big Mac toys in foods the city deems non-nutritional. They bill this as "food justice"! :bang: :bang: :bang:

Boxcar

sandpit
11-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Ditto, this country is filled with fat people of all political bents. My mother-in-law listens to Limbaugh all the time, and she needs to shed a good 80 lbs.

JustRalph
11-08-2010, 09:17 PM
two months does not a lifetime make.

He points out that the long term stuff is still in doubt. The wife and I were discussing this over dinner tonight. We have recently changed our diets drastically and lost a bunch of weight over the last 5 mths or so. I am sure the caloric intake is the great overall ingredient in this puzzle, but living on what this guy was eating over a few years would surely start to catch up with you. Especially if you are pre-disposed to Diabetes etc. I don't care what happen with his weight. This guy was walking around with a very high blood sugar level for two months. Long term.....the pancreas has got to be working overtime.

johnhannibalsmith
11-08-2010, 09:37 PM
...He points out that the long term stuff is still in doubt. ...

Don't worry, I'm decades ahead of this imposter with this study. I'm still alive, but I age like a dog now.

boxcar
11-08-2010, 09:56 PM
It must be a sad little world you live in where everything goes back to a polarized political viewpoint!

Can't you just for once say, "ah, I did not know that"? :faint:

Not in this case, chump. Rush has discussed this issue in the past, so I'm not surprised at this professor's findings. All this guy did was verify and validate.

And yeah...everything today is quite political. That's what happens when you have Marxist-type control freaks in government and it wants to intrude into every area of our personal lives. I mean really Depriving little kiddies of the McMac toys in the name of "food justice"? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Tom
11-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Twinkies.......mmmmmmmmmmmm!

JustRalph
11-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Don't worry, I'm decades ahead of this imposter with this study. I'm still alive, but I age like a dog now.
:lol: :lol: very funny........ i like it

cj's dad
11-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Ditto, this country is filled with fat people of all political bents. My mother-in-law listens to Limbaugh all the time,and she needs to shed a good 80 lbs.

Send her a case of Twinkies !

Valuist
11-09-2010, 08:10 AM
I'd like to see this guy's health after a year of eating this. There is no nutritional value in that crap; basically no vitamins, minerals and fiber, and very small amounts of protein. There will be morons who try this. Wait and see.

There is NO way this is political at all. I have criticized the liberal policies of the current administration on this forum but somehow tying this politics is way too big of a stretch.

Robert Goren
11-09-2010, 08:10 AM
People are always looking for ways to lose weight on a 3000 calorie diet. That why get all low carb or low fat diets. But as this guy proved a calorie is a calorie. Unfortunately there are only two ways to lose weight. Count calories or get a very physically demanding job. If you shovel coal for eight hours a day, you can pretty much eat as much of what you want as you want.

Grits
11-09-2010, 10:30 AM
His book'll be out in a year. It'll shoot, with a bullet, straight to the top of the New York Times Bestseller List. He'll sell more books and make more money than he's ever made in his lifetime career, professoring.:eek: :lol: :eek:

Man! I wouldn't eat that junk if I was deserted on an island and it was airlifted in. Just can't hang with Twinkies and garbage sweets. Salsa and chips, yes. But not the other junk.:lol:

Ralph, glad you and the bride are still dropping the pounds! You're gonna look just like your in-uniform photo. I know it.:ThmbUp:

RaceBookJoe
11-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Unfortunately health isnt determined by a number on a scale. Also, the short run success doesnt always lead to long term success, which is why the majority of diets dont work for people. rbj

BenDiesel26
11-09-2010, 01:42 PM
People are always looking for ways to lose weight on a 3000 calorie diet. That why get all low carb or low fat diets. But as this guy proved a calorie is a calorie. Unfortunately there are only two ways to lose weight. Count calories or get a very physically demanding job. If you shovel coal for eight hours a day, you can pretty much eat as much of what you want as you want.

This is getting way overblown. One, this guy was most likely starving. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie is not necessarily true. Two, I heard the triglyceride stuff and whatever, but put him in the weight room. See how he performs. See how his body composition changed doing this (although he was still drinking protein shakes). Low carb diets are not fads either. Over fifty years of research (somehow lost once they came up with the saturated fat-cholesterol myth) shows that a low-carb, high fat diet is superior to a semi-starvation diet high in carbs. We're talking a 900 calorie carbohydrate diet vs. a 900 calorie LCHF diet, a 1200 calorie LCHF diet, all the way up to a 2700 calorie LCHF diet.

I lost 27 pounds in 2 months without counting a single calorie, eating as much as I wanted. You won't be hungry eating meat, fat, and avoiding grains. Eat lots of plants and animals as unprocessed as possible, that's it. No vegetable oils. There are 1000's catching on everyday too. Fat storage is hormone driven. Period. Hormones (mainly leptin and insulin) are greatly effected by what you eat, as is you satiety level. Try to eat 3000 calories of just meat, and see how you feel.

redshift1
11-09-2010, 02:08 PM
two months does not a lifetime make.

He points out that the long term stuff is still in doubt. The wife and I were discussing this over dinner tonight. We have recently changed our diets drastically and lost a bunch of weight over the last 5 mths or so. I am sure the caloric intake is the great overall ingredient in this puzzle, but living on what this guy was eating over a few years would surely start to catch up with you. Especially if you are pre-disposed to Diabetes etc. I don't care what happen with his weight. This guy was walking around with a very high blood sugar level for two months. Long term.....the pancreas has got to be working overtime.

Primarily diet with some exercise:

Two hours of hard cardio every day at the gym burning 1500 calories per session and and my weight stayed the same.

Cut the caloric intake to 2000 calories a day and lost 50 lbs
Blood pressure from 140/90 to 125/70
Cholesterol from 260 to 200
Resting heart rate from 60 to 45

The key is accurately tracking your caloric intake and keeping it lower than
calories burned.

BenDiesel26
11-09-2010, 02:29 PM
What people miss in the calorie counting equation is that what you are eating (your calorie intake) is not independent from what you are outputting (your calories burned). Your output is affected by what you are eating, hence a calorie is not a calorie. It is hormone driven. There are a few ways to control insulin: reduce your caloric intake on a regular recommended diet so you do not have to produce as much insulin, or don't eat the food that drives your blood sugar up in the first place, meaning don't eat a diet that recommends 6-11 servings of grains/carbs that have zero nutrition as its base.

For anybody who wants to try, do an experiment on yourself. I already know what your outcome will be. Prior to starting, record your general day to day hunger level, your weight, your fat%/body composition (take a picture), some measure of your strength/physical performance.

Now, for a month (if you can last that long):
Eat like this guy did with the twinkies, at 1800 calories a day. One twinkie every three hours till you hit 1800 cals. Record the variables above. At the end, monitor your improvement. Hint: You will be absolutely starving most likely, depending on your natural weight.

Next, for a month:
Eat plants and animals. Lots of eggs, some real pastured bacon, grassfed beef, chicken fried in butter, green vegetables, anything natural. Throw some butter on your steak, and eat the fat. Don't use vegetable oils, since they are about as unnatural as it gets. Eat only real food, meaning it hasn't gone through 15 different processes before it got to your plate. Here's a link for some decent rules explaining a pretty good plan with plenty of meal options(Link (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/)). Avoid grains, but feel free to eat fruit. Eat when your hungry, not on some strict schedule. If you aren't hungry, don't eat. The idea is you will take in between 50 to 150 grams of carbs (you won't have to count eating like this because that's A LOT of blueberries), but most of your calories will come from protein and fat (the two you actually need to live). Record the variables above, and monitor at the end.

Perform the strength test at the end.

If you really want to add a twist, add in the exercise:

For scenario one, do chronic cardio, 3 sessions of 45 minutes or so on the treadmill/bike/whatever you want, burning calories. Definitely don't forget to record your day-to-day hunger in this case. So basically, scenario one is you have limited your calorie intake and decided to add in exercise. You're basically going by the premise that a calorie is just a calorie.

For scenario two, try to get in a couple of walks for about 30 minutes each. Do two tabata sessions (or something similar intensity) at the gym once a week, this will take you a total of 6 minutes. 3 minutes if you only do one. Every few weeks maybe add in another day, or an extra lift day. Lift heavy once or so per week for 20 to 30 minutes, total body and high-intensity. So in scenario two, you aren't counting any calories but just following rules on which foods to eat, and exercising in short bursts with a few easy walks. No calorie counter. You might be hungry for the first few days or up to a week, but the hunger will most likely go away after a few short days once your body's blood sugar begins to adjust from your routine diet.

A picture will be worth a thousand words. Just make sure you are recording what your body is telling you, especially the hunger.

Pell Mell
11-09-2010, 03:26 PM
What people miss in the calorie counting equation is that what you are eating (your calorie intake) is not independent from what you are outputting (your calories burned). Your output is affected by what you are eating, hence a calorie is not a calorie. It is hormone driven. There are a few ways to control insulin: reduce your caloric intake on a regular recommended diet so you do not have to produce as much insulin, or don't eat the food that drives your blood sugar up in the first place, meaning don't eat a diet that recommends 6-11 servings of grains/carbs that have zero nutrition as its base.

For anybody who wants to try, do an experiment on yourself. I already know what your outcome will be. Prior to starting, record your general day to day hunger level, your weight, your fat%/body composition (take a picture), some measure of your strength/physical performance.

Now, for a month (if you can last that long):
Eat like this guy did with the twinkies, at 1800 calories a day. One twinkie every three hours till you hit 1800 cals. Record the variables above. At the end, monitor your improvement. Hint: You will be absolutely starving most likely, depending on your natural weight.

Next, for a month:
Eat plants and animals. Lots of eggs, some real pastured bacon, grassfed beef, chicken fried in butter, green vegetables, anything natural. Throw some butter on your steak, and eat the fat. Don't use vegetable oils, since they are about as unnatural as it gets. Eat only real food, meaning it hasn't gone through 15 different processes before it got to your plate. Here's a link for some decent rules explaining a pretty good plan with plenty of meal options(Link (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/)). Avoid grains, but feel free to eat fruit. Eat when your hungry, not on some strict schedule. If you aren't hungry, don't eat. The idea is you will take in between 50 to 150 grams of carbs (you won't have to count eating like this because that's A LOT of blueberries), but most of your calories will come from protein and fat (the two you actually need to live). Record the variables above, and monitor at the end.

Perform the strength test at the end.

If you really want to add a twist, add in the exercise:

For scenario one, do chronic cardio, 3 sessions of 45 minutes or so on the treadmill/bike/whatever you want, burning calories. Definitely don't forget to record your day-to-day hunger in this case. So basically, scenario one is you have limited your calorie intake and decided to add in exercise. You're basically going by the premise that a calorie is just a calorie.

For scenario two, try to get in a couple of walks for about 30 minutes each. Do two tabata sessions (or something similar intensity) at the gym once a week, this will take you a total of 6 minutes. 3 minutes if you only do one. Every few weeks maybe add in another day, or an extra lift day. Lift heavy once or so per week for 20 to 30 minutes, total body and high-intensity. So in scenario two, you aren't counting any calories but just following rules on which foods to eat, and exercising in short bursts with a few easy walks. No calorie counter. You might be hungry for the first few days or up to a week, but the hunger will most likely go away after a few short days once your body's blood sugar begins to adjust from your routine diet.

A picture will be worth a thousand words. Just make sure you are recording what your body is telling you, especially the hunger.

Isn't that something like the Atkin's diet?

BenDiesel26
11-09-2010, 03:33 PM

No, there is no restriction on calories and zero carb/calorie counting. Once I was off of grains/pasta, 20 years of IBS was gone in about 3 days. Bloat/puffiness in face was gone in about 7 days from loss of inflammatory water. Hence the first 10 lbs I lost in the first week was mainly inflammatory water storage and water from loss of glycogen stores. You are avoiding grains, because they really aren't that good for you. They just drive insulin production and have very limited vitamins/minerals, which are questionably absorbed due to phytates/lectins. Nor are you actually counting carbs. Most Americans consume 300+ grams of carbs daily, and are gaining weight regardless of caloric intake, even if they aren't eating very much. It's easy to see too. One of those lipton quick rice flavored packets you can get at the grocery store has around 200 grams of carbs and will only fill about a bowl of soup. You'd have to eat between 4 and 8 bowls of blueberries of the same size to get the same amount of carbs, and you'll be consuming about 15 times the fiber in the process.

JustRalph
11-09-2010, 04:17 PM

It's not far from it. But closer to south beach. Pretty close to what I have been doing. Stopping processed foods. Basically if somebody has to do a Chemistry experiment on something you are eating.........you shouldn't be eating it. If it doesn't appear naturally on this earth.....you shouldn't be putting it in your body.

I also have almost completely given up sugar and bread. No pasta etc.

Grits! Still a long way to go from that Uniform......but I feel pretty damn good and have been off the blood pressure meds for almost 3 months now.

140/95 no longer. Was at the Doctors office two weeks ago and my blood pressure was 106/73 according to them. Heart rate was 55.

Feeling good..........closing in on fifty pounds off. Still got about 25 to go short term. 40 more long term.

bigmack
11-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Here's a link for some decent rules explaining a pretty good plan with plenty of meal options(Link (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/)).
Interesting stuff. I done gonna give some of that whirl. :ThmbUp:

sandpit
11-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Send her a case of Twinkies !

Man, that made me laugh :D . Problem is, she might down them in a day or two, which wouldn't help any.

Grits
11-11-2010, 09:44 PM
It's not far from it. But closer to south beach. Pretty close to what I have been doing. Stopping processed foods. Basically if somebody has to do a Chemistry experiment on something you are eating.........you shouldn't be eating it. If it doesn't appear naturally on this earth.....you shouldn't be putting it in your body.

I also have almost completely given up sugar and bread. No pasta etc.

Grits! Still a long way to go from that Uniform......but I feel pretty damn good and have been off the blood pressure meds for almost 3 months now.

140/95 no longer. Was at the Doctors office two weeks ago and my blood pressure was 106/73 according to them. Heart rate was 55.

Feeling good..........closing in on fifty pounds off. Still got about 25 to go short term. 40 more long term.

I'm proud of you, bud!!! Really, really proud.:ThmbUp: What you and the bride have done is outstanding. You're gonna look just like your photo when we see ya next summer in the tent. ;)

JustRalph
11-11-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm proud of you, bud!!! Really, really proud.:ThmbUp: What you and the bride have done is outstanding. You're gonna look just like your photo when we see ya next summer in the tent. ;)

Thanks very much.......... :ThmbUp: