PDA

View Full Version : The Off-Season

PhantomOnTour
11-07-2010, 09:59 PM
As far as wagering is concerned my year is just about over. Aside from the Clark Hcp card at CD, I likely will not place another bet until GP opens.

As usual, it's review time...ugh. This includes my bets, my pars, all my trainer crap, you know...
I will also try to add a solid set of pars for a track or two that I don't currently cover, and will follow the 'new' Santa Anita closely. Hell, I may actually bet on a California track again.

So what's your plan, man?
Do you have an off-season or does the madness continue through the winter?

illinoisbred
11-08-2010, 07:22 AM
I generally take Jan. and Feb. off, but this year I'm seriously considering giving Fair Grounds a go. Love the track and have played the meet in
past years. Besides AP and Haw., FG and Woodbine are the only other tracks I have kept updated pars for through the years. With racing reduced to just 4 day weeks here and FG returning to their traditional Thanksgiving day start it seems a good fit for me.

Tom
11-08-2010, 09:27 AM
I think I will just do harness for a while. One track at a time.
Tampa Bay is just around the corner.

wisconsin
11-08-2010, 10:48 AM
This is the time of year where I generally shut it down. I look forward to the day after Christmas.

olddaddy
11-08-2010, 11:14 AM
I am folding up the tent now except for the Japan Cup and waiting for Tampa and Gulfstream. I may do a day at Hialeah just for old times sake.

magwell
11-08-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm a racehorse junkie, for me to shut down is like asking me to stop eating, drinking, and chasing women......watching and betting good horses run puts flavor in everything.....:cool:

JustRalph
11-08-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm a racehorse junkie, for me to shut down is like asking me to stop eating, drinking, and chasing women......watching and betting good horses run puts flavor in everything.....:cool:

I didn't know Hugh Hefner was a horseplayer.....Welcome Hugh!@!

Mike_412
11-08-2010, 04:57 PM
I love the time after the Breeders' Cup. I generally shut it down with the exception of a random card here and there up to and including Thanksgiving weekend. I take the entire month of December off for a freshening. I take a look back at my wagering year and see what's worked and what hasn't.

I gear up again once Gulfstream starts. It's my favorite meet of the year. I come in fresh and truly enjoy it.

Force of One
11-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Greatness never stops.

Nah, seriously....I have actually been in a bit of an offseason (minus the Breeder's Cup) since Del Mar ended. A little bit of Oak Tree/Hollywood.

Actually gearing up for Fair Grounds which is one of my big meets.

I do think it's a good idea to take breaks. Good luck with yours.

proximity
11-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Greatness never stops.

and neither does mediocrity!!

so a few months down the road, when i finally get my first "overlay" winner of the delta meet..... i may pause to take a five or ten minute break. :)

The_Knight_Sky
11-09-2010, 09:53 AM
....i may pause to take a five or ten minute break. :)

I'll join you.

and then....Carry on My Wayward Son !

Robert Goren
11-09-2010, 10:04 AM
The inner dirt track at Aqueduct is less than a month away. Then all will be right with the world again.;)

turfnsport
11-09-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm with Robert...The inner track at the Big A is very kind to me. The NYRA takes a week off at Christmas, that's good enough for me. :ThmbUp:

Lasix67
11-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Will continue to play Delta and when the Fair Grounds opens I will play a few cards.

Jackal
11-09-2010, 08:24 PM
I usually spend a couple weeks in New Orleans each winter. My trips to the Fairgrounds are one of the highlights of my stay.

Beachbabe
11-09-2010, 09:33 PM
I love the time after the Breeders' Cup. I generally shut it down with the exception of a random card here and there up to and including Thanksgiving weekend. I take the entire month of December off for a freshening. I take a look back at my wagering year and see what's worked and what hasn't.

I gear up again once Gulfstream starts. It's my favorite meet of the year. I come in fresh and truly enjoy it.

Gulfstream is my meat (meet). :jump: I wait every year for this meet. Had my best days of the year last Jan & Feb. I'll start following Calder from now till Gulf opens to see who's coming in & who's getting prepped at Calder. I'll take a couple of trips to Palm Meadow to watch some workouts.

wonatthewire1
11-09-2010, 09:34 PM
I think I will just do harness for a while. One track at a time.
Tampa Bay is just around the corner.

I'm really looking forward to TB as well

Might play some cards on the weekends, but not much else unless a grass race pops up at Remington, looking forward to GP as well.

Market Mover
11-10-2010, 03:29 AM
I am folding up the tent now except for the Japan Cup and waiting for Tampa and Gulfstream. I may do a day at Hialeah just for old times sake.

Where can u wager on Japanese racing, esp Japan Cup and Japan Cup Dirt? Youbet used to have it regularly but that seemed to stop abruptly. What happened there?

ihatenyra
11-10-2010, 09:20 AM
You can't get a worse atmosphere but for some reason December at aqueduct is my highest bet volume all year.

olddaddy
11-10-2010, 09:23 AM
I have an account with TVG and use it just for Japan Racing. I dont know who else takes bets on Japan.