PDA

View Full Version : Blame retired - that's weak

tribecaagent
11-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Blame retired - boy, that was quick. http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/59792/blame-retired-available-for-inspection?source=rss

I'm disappointed. Perhaps the big mare will stick around.

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 10:56 PM
I hope she will!

PaceAdvantage
11-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Blame retired - boy, that was quick. http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/59792/blame-retired-available-for-inspection?source=rss

I'm disappointed. Perhaps the big mare will stick around.Wasn't it reported before the race that this would be his last go round win or lose?

tzipi
11-07-2010, 10:59 PM

I'm disappointed. Perhaps the big mare will stick around.

No different then what's been going on for a long time. Too much money involved. It's what kills racing. You cant't follow anyone for long anymore. 99% of big horses retire right away.

tribecaagent
11-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Wasn't it reported before the race that this would be his last go round win or lose?

I didn't see that. If my memory's correct, wasn't Zenyatta supposed to retire at the end of last year?

Sometimes people change their minds. Off Blame's performance, I'd certainly give it a second thought.

garyscpa
11-07-2010, 11:17 PM
I didn't see that. If my memory's correct, wasn't Zenyatta supposed to retire at the end of last year?

Sometimes people change their minds. Off Blame's performance, I'd certainly give it a second thought.

Yes, that's why they didn't schedule the Breeder's Cup at Santa Anita again.

JustRalph
11-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Yes, that's why they didn't schedule the Breeder's Cup at Santa Anita again.
:lol:

good one

GaryG
11-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Blame was already being advertised by Claiborne before the race. It was signed and sealed.

Pace Cap'n
11-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Zenyatta should get an award for showing up to race twenty times.

Has any other G1-quality horse ran in as many races as Z in the last two decades?

hencicleva
11-08-2010, 07:07 AM
Although a bit old news, Goldikova is "50 - 50" to come back. That would be amazing.

Sparky13
11-08-2010, 07:08 AM
Horse racing is a lot like college basketball, one and done. Just when a horse becomes good, lets retire them and make some breeding money. Where are the true champions that race for 3 or 4 years?

FenceBored
11-08-2010, 07:46 AM

Has any other G1-quality horse ran in as many races as Z in the last two decades?

Hey, let's just keep it to the past few years, shall we:

Einstein - 30 starts
Ginger Punch - 22 starts
Well Armed - 24 starts
Wait a While - 24 starts
Fabulous Strike - 24 starts
Lawyer Ron - 26 starts

Fence stop now, him tired.

Robert Goren
11-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Blame was already being advertised by Claiborne before the race. It was signed and sealed. Are they still standing by his pre BC stud fee?

FenceBored
11-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Are they still standing by his pre BC stud fee?

Maybe they'd already priced in the win. :D

Grits
11-08-2010, 09:16 AM

Yes!!! Evening Attire. He's the first that comes to mind. Perfect Drift is another.

Stillriledup
11-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Blame is a forgettable horse who will be whisked off to stud and 'glorified'. They won't tell you about his unsoundness and bad feet, they'll tell you that breeding to him is the bomb.

Blame isn't in anyone's top 100 horses of all time list, a few years from now people will be asking "who's that horse who got destroyed by Haynesfield at Belmont in early October 2010?"

"What's his name again?"

PaceAdvantage
11-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Blame is a forgettable horse who will be whisked off to stud and 'glorified'. They won't tell you about his unsoundness and bad feet, they'll tell you that breeding to him is the bomb.

Blame isn't in anyone's top 100 horses of all time list, a few years from now people will be asking "who's that horse who got destroyed by Haynesfield at Belmont in early October 2010?"

"What's his name again?"You are getting more irrational with every post. Unsoundness and bad feet? I guess I missed that one...

tucker6
11-08-2010, 03:10 PM

"What's his name again?"What is with you lately?? You make absurd statements about Zenyatta and HOY, and now this. Calm the hell down. I used to think you were a rational poster, but you've become a mockery of yourself. If your intent is to embarrass yourself, you've succeeded. Now STOP!! Jesus :bang:

WinterTriangle
11-08-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm sure it was owners decision, "he beat Zenyatta, a memorable name, let's get him to the shed while the gettin's good."

He's run 100% ITM in his 13 races, and he's been a monster in '09 and '10.

Some horses are not the same after running a few "big ones", why tempt fate. His stud fee would plummet if he came back and lost the next two.

Stall is a good trainer, but he's not Freddie Head.

NTamm1215
11-08-2010, 04:50 PM

"What's his name again?"

Do you bet on horse racing? If not, please start. If you do, bet more.

JustRalph
11-08-2010, 05:21 PM

"What's his name again?"

I picture you pacing the floor with a picture of Zenyatta hanging out of your hip pocket and then madly rushing to the computer to research other "greats" while simultaneously refreshing your browser to check the threads on Z and then furtively writing posts like the above.........

give it a break....you are embarrassing yourself

Cardus
11-08-2010, 05:25 PM
I picture you pacing the floor with a picture of Zenyatta hanging out of your hip pocket and then madly rushing to the computer to research other "greats" while simultaneously refreshing your browser to check the threads on Z and then furtively writing posts like the above.........

give it a break....you are embarrassing yourself

I look at it differently.

When a poster gets to this point, I think, "Keep going! Keep going!"

It's one of the beauties of PA!

Steve R
11-08-2010, 05:28 PM

"What's his name again?"
I guess that puts Zenyatta in the proper prospective. All the hype about her greatness ends with a loss to a "forgettable horse". I guess she wasn't as good as I thought. I'll have to drop her down on my list of top horses.

Cardus
11-08-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm sure it was owners decision, "he beat Zenyatta, a memorable name, let's get him to the shed while the gettin's good."

He's run 100% ITM in his 13 races, and he's been a monster in '09 and '10.

Some horses are not the same after running a few "big ones", why tempt fate. His stud fee would plummet if he came back and lost the next two.

Stall is a good trainer, but he's not Freddie Head.

The salient point about Blame is that he is hardly a "monster," even in relative terms.

An efficient, winning horse, no doubt, but not a "monster."

FenceBored
11-08-2010, 05:34 PM
The salient point about Blame is that he is hardly a "monster," even in relative terms.

An efficient, winning horse, no doubt, but not a "monster."

:( He is a monster! Only a monster would beat Zenny in her last race. Didn't he know he was supposed to let her win? :(

sandpit
11-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Paolini, the 2002 Horse of the Year in Germany, ran in 23 straight G1 events on 4 continents, and if it wasn't for horrible trips in both his Arlington Million starts, he would and should have won the race twice.

Robert Fischer
11-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Blame is the type of stallion you WANT to breed to.

as a runner he could win when he got his setup, and he had enough stamina to run all the way to the wire.

He's not some sprinter mix.

Get the right mare and you have a chance at getting a classic division horse.

RaceBookJoe
11-08-2010, 09:39 PM
You are getting more irrational with every post. Unsoundness and bad feet? I guess I missed that one...

Didnt you read, there was no way they could run him in the marathon :rolleyes:

Tom
11-08-2010, 09:56 PM

as a runner he could win when he got his setup, and he had enough stamina to run all the way to the wire.

He's not some sprinter mix.

Get the right mare and you have a chance at getting a classic division horse.

And then you get another 5-6 race season. :sleeping:

WinterTriangle
11-09-2010, 02:44 AM
Only a monster would beat Zenny in her last race.

I was looking at his 5 race win streak, then that hiccup when Haynesfield won, which I don't really count against him (mostly because I had Haynesfield coming in last in the BC...don't think much of him).

I wasn't even thinking about the classic when I posted that.

Good try though. ;)

It appears there are a lot of people, however, who think Blame is not "all that."

KingChas
11-09-2010, 02:59 AM
as a runner he could win when he got his setup

Vague Promises.................. :confused:

Sounds like a name for his 1st-born. :D

CincyHorseplayer
11-09-2010, 04:35 AM
OK,here's my simple selfish take.Before Haynesfield ran away with the Gold Cup I was looking at Blame's PP's and thinking "Here's a horse who could be the staple in the handicap division".Fast horse.Looked to be coming into his own.A winner.He is.He was.

I agree with the title post=weak.Claiborne farm is celebrating 100 years of probably at least a billion dollars and they do it by retiring a horse in his prime??Yeah count your dollars boys and girls,it takes a lot of loot to dress up in that KY fashion!!:lol:

tucker6
11-09-2010, 04:44 AM
OK,here's my simple selfish take.Before Haynesfield ran away with the Gold Cup I was looking at Blame's PP's and thinking "Here's a horse who could be the staple in the handicap division".Fast horse.Looked to be coming into his own.A winner.He is.He was.

I agree with the title post=weak.Claiborne farm is celebrating 100 years of probably at least a billion dollars and they do it by retiring a horse in his prime??Yeah count your dollars boys and girls,it takes a lot of loot to dress up in that KY fashion!!:lol:People keep talking about what ails the sport. Zenyatta was popular in part because she had a three year campaign. Her following could build up over time and bring non racing fans to her. Unfortunately, many horses retire at the end of year one, and most certainly at the end of year two. Not nearly enough time for the horse and industry to romance the public. There really needs to be an incentive or dis-incentive for owners to pull grade 1 horses from the track early. For example and I don't know if it would be possible, prevent any stallion from breeding prior to his fifth year. That would at least keep a significant amount of horses in training at age 4. If the owner wants to retire them at 3 anyway, okay, but you lose stallion fees that first year until they turn 5.

CincyHorseplayer
11-09-2010, 05:44 AM
People keep talking about what ails the sport. Zenyatta was popular in part because she had a three year campaign. Her following could build up over time and bring non racing fans to her. Unfortunately, many horses retire at the end of year one, and most certainly at the end of year two. Not nearly enough time for the horse and industry to romance the public. There really needs to be an incentive or dis-incentive for owners to pull grade 1 horses from the track early. For example and I don't know if it would be possible, prevent any stallion from breeding prior to his fifth year. That would at least keep a significant amount of horses in training at age 4. If the owner wants to retire them at 3 anyway, okay, but you lose stallion fees that first year until they turn 5.

Zenyatta also wasn't able to race when she was younger.Bad example.She was a late comer and that kept her ontrack longer.

Your idea,while tenuous in reality is actually great.If horses were mandated to race into their 5th year it would be great for the game.Blame is 4yo but raced just 13 times.Just when you start getting fired up about somebody,boom,they're gone.It'll never happen though.It just irritates the hell out of you though that a prestigious farm like Claiborne is pins and needles on a single horse,ready to whisk them off into sperm sales.Blame could dominate next year.But he'll sit inside a barn with million dollar walls!!That stinks.