PDA

View Full Version : Goldikova is the Best Mare in The World

nmhusker
11-07-2010, 10:04 AM
You talk about not ducking any competition. 3 Breeders Cups, she can win right off the pace, mid-pack and dead last. She beat males 8 times

Three Melbourne Cups @ 2 miles, fields of 15-20, carried weight equal to the colts/horses, competed from 2002-2006, and because she was foaled in the UK and raced in Australia she constantly raced against horses at least 6 months older than her and carried their weights

Grits
11-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Thirty reads and not a single reply to this thread, 3/4s of the way down the page, almost out of sight. Simply amazing what horseplayers and racing fans choose to ignore, after having watched history made on the turf course yesterday afternoon.:faint:

She came, quietly, into Churchill with no fanfare whatsoever, as did her trainer, Freddie Head. There was next to no interst afforded her by the media throughout the entire week--one piece, maybe, written at DRF; one piece, maybe, at Bloodhorse. To say she was buried in the shadow of Zenyatta is an understatement.

I was in awe of her. Petite as she is, and a hellcat in her stall. Head noted her toughness, her tempremant, she'll kick, she'll bite, she's all about "outta my space, leave me alone". It was a joy not only to watch her run, but to hear this man talk about his mare as well.

His comments, all of this make me believe--her actions may be part of what leads to her greatness. This mindset transfers directly onto the racetrack. Its as if her thoughts are, "when its time to run, I'll be ready. I always am. Don't bother me 'til its time."

She is one of the toughest, the most determined racehorses I've ever had the great opportunity to see. No racemare in the history of this sport, and this certainly does include Zenyatta, has achieved what this mare has done. I LOVE this fiesty, no nonsense, get the job done, WORLD CHAMPION MARE.

Going to watch replays of yesterday and beyond? Watch her's.

Looking for greatness? You found it!

cj
11-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Thirty reads and not a single reply to this thread, 3/4s of the way down the page, almost out of sight. Simply amazing what horseplayers and racing fans choose to ignore, after having watched history made on the turf course yesterday afternoon.:faint:

It has been discussed in several threads. I was going to reply here, but what is with the Australia stuff?

OntheRail
11-07-2010, 12:20 PM
I'd watch her races in the France I could not understand the calls but could pick her out in the crowd. I always wondered how they shoehorned what must be a big heart into such a slip of a thing. :faint:

I was pulling for her to Win and 3pete... :jump:

nearco
11-07-2010, 12:47 PM
It has been discussed in several threads. I was going to reply here, but what is with the Australia stuff?

It's a reference to Makybe Diva.
Not sure what point is being made.... Goldi is the greatest? Makybe Diva is also the greatest?
Confusing.

Steve R
11-07-2010, 01:30 PM
It's a reference to Makybe Diva.
Not sure what point is being made.... Goldi is the greatest? Makybe Diva is also the greatest?
Confusing.
I think the point is that "nmhusker" believes there are at least two mares in recent history superior to Zenyatta. Makybe Diva didn't go 19 for 20 but she did have a far more challenging career, was twice Australian HotY, is the all-time leading Australian money winner, was the only horse ever to win three Melbourne Cups and was successful from 7f to 2 miles. I've seen many videos of all three mares and I would concur with "nmhusker".

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 01:30 PM
She's a great one for sure. I love seeing her accleration and how she digs down everytime.

I have a feeling they will race her next year.

beertapper
11-07-2010, 02:00 PM
yes, there is a humble greatness to that mare and her story...

she just comes here and gets it done

nearco
11-07-2010, 02:01 PM
I think the point is that "nmhusker" believes there are at least two mares in recent history superior to Zenyatta. Makybe Diva didn't go 19 for 20 but she did have a far more challenging career, was twice Australian HotY, is the all-time leading Australian money winner, was the only horse ever to win three Melbourne Cups and was successful from 7f to 2 miles. I've seen many videos of all three mares and I would concur with "nmhusker".

And to think that Makybe Diva wasn't even the best Australian mare of recent history.
I'd say you'd have to give that honour to the amazing Sunline. Her two Cox Plates wins (among a whole bucketful of G1 wins against males) were the equivelant of two BC Classic wins.
Sunline in action... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEwdlz5YRm0

Run Nicholas Run
11-07-2010, 02:05 PM
whats really impressive with Goldy is that she runs
so awesome with a euro-spank rider.
With the exception of Frankie those yo-yo's cant ride
and even a spank like Cameron Colledge at Elko could
outride Olly Pelly.

cj
11-07-2010, 03:36 PM
outride Olly Pelly.

Of course they can ride. I would argue they are at least as good as our riders, certainly deeper.

Tom
11-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Best on turf.

olddaddy
11-07-2010, 07:05 PM
outride Olly Pelly.

Watching how those euro jocks ride in those huge fields on weird courses makes me wonder why you think american jocks are so much better.

Charlie D
11-07-2010, 07:25 PM
outride Olly Pelly.

I can only presume from this you are either on a wind up or you missed jockeys like Keiron Fallon, Ryan Moore,Mick Kinane, Lester Piggott, Christophe Smoullion, Micheal Hills and the other Euro riders that have ventured over to ride in US and Canada. I also presume you do not bother watching Euro racing or racing from Dubai etc

Seabiscuit@AR
11-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Now that Zenyatta has been beaten Black Caviar is the best mare in the world

As for Makybe Diva the last preparation of her career was simply outstanding. But before that she was only a top 2 miler and nothing more than that really. So judged across the course of her career she is never going to make the best ever lists (not my lists anyways). Kiwi mare Sunline probably was better across her whole career. She was brilliant as a 3yo filly and still racing well several years later