PDA

View Full Version : Zenyatta's Future

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 12:28 AM
I definitely want Zenyatta to race next year, given that she is healthy and up to the task.

When will we know the Mosses' decision on it? Do you think they will retire her tomorrow? If they did race her next year, should she race against males on dirt?

Should she retire? What would you do?

As much as I want to see it, my gut says they will probably retire her. I dont think the Mosses want Zen to lose anymore. They were very protective of how record and that was without a loss!

You just hate to see a horse like her go out on a bitter (my feelings!) loss.

The_Knight_Sky
11-07-2010, 12:34 AM
Whatever they do, I hope they don't waffle like last year. ;)

They're probably mulling over:

"Will we get extra HOY votes if we say Zenyatta will race next year?"

"Or should we announce a retirement now,
and (if needed) plan a comeback tour after the Eclipse Awards are done?"

jelly
11-07-2010, 12:39 AM
If she's healthy and wants to run,they should run her.

I'd do the same thing as this year,smack around the so. cali.filly's then go to the BCC.It only missed by a head.Might work next year.

teddy
11-07-2010, 12:41 AM
I see them retiring her but the reality is her appearance fees would be worth more than breeding... the nose defeat is going to but a deflating end to her movie. They better bring her back in Dubai so we can get the happy ending.

RXB
11-07-2010, 12:43 AM
I definitely want Zenyatta to race next year, given that she is healthy and up to the task.

When will we know the Mosses' decision on it? Do you think they will retire her tomorrow? If they did race her next year, should she race against males on dirt?

Should she retire? What would you do?

As much as I want to see it, my gut says they will probably retire her. I dont think the Mosses want Zen to lose anymore. They were very protective of how record and that was without a loss!

You just hate to see a horse like her go out on a bitter (my feelings!) loss.

I think Zenyatta of '08 and '09 would've got there today. Zenyatta of '10 just missed. Zenyatta next year... guess where I'm going with this.

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 12:43 AM
If she's healthy and wants to run,they should run her.

I'd do the same thing as this year,smack around the so. cali.filly's then go to the BCC.It only missed by a head.Might work next year.

I'd race her outside of cali. If they want HOTY, they need to race males in other states.

She's proven, again and again, she can beat the girls. She needs to face the boys now.

But i dont know if the mosses are willing to do such a "risky" thing.

ArlJim78
11-07-2010, 12:45 AM
she turns 7 next year, it's going to be even tougher to beat the top 3 and 4 year old males. I think a return is doubtful.

cpitt84
I see them retiring her but the reality is her appearance fees would be worth more than breeding... the nose defeat is going to but a deflating end to her movie. They better bring her back in Dubai so we can get the happy ending.

That's it...i def. want that happy ending and i dont want her to retire like this.

I am assuming that is what the mosses and family are thinking about too.
You get spoiled after 19 straight wins. You dont like the sting of a loss. But, what will they do about it?

I am anxious to see.

PhantomOnTour
Good lovin' down on the farm.

Marlin
11-07-2010, 12:46 AM
Dubai and done! That would be fun.

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 12:46 AM
she turns 7 next year, it's going to be even tougher to beat the top 3 and 4 year old males. I think a return is doubtful.

Yeah, that's true. Although she did mature later, at almost 4, so maybe she's got one more year in her!

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Anyone else notice that zenyatta's stride just wasn't there like on synthetics?

If this was run on her favored turf, maybe she wins it.

Tom
11-07-2010, 01:02 AM
Dubai.

olddaddy
11-07-2010, 01:03 AM
Let her retire, don't let her do what too many of us do, chase our losses.

OntheRail
11-07-2010, 01:07 AM
I don't see them shipping her to Dubai... they said the trip over the Rockies was to much. If they keep running in Cali they will be limited to Del Mar and Hollywood as SA is going back to Dirt and we seen she don't like dirt getting kicked in her face. So I say they walk of into the Sunset as they head toward the shed. Wonder how much they will have to pay for Blame's services.

jelly
11-07-2010, 01:09 AM
I'd race her outside of cali. If they want HOTY, they need to race males in other states.

She's proven, again and again, she can beat the girls. She needs to face the boys now.

But i dont know if the mosses are willing to do such a "risky" thing.

Disagree,she missed HOY by a head.Every thing worked except the last race.

If she races against the males she prob.won't be around for the BCC.

Market Mover
11-07-2010, 01:57 AM
I think Zenyatta of '08 and '09 would've got there today. Zenyatta of '10 just missed. Zenyatta next year... guess where I'm going with this.

The problem is..Shirreffs said she was better going into the race this year than last..

PhantomOnTour
11-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Breed her to More Than Ready and run that kid on the turf.

RXB
11-07-2010, 01:08 AM
The problem is..Shirreffs said she was better going into the race this year than last..

I prefer my own handicapping over the pronouncements of trainers and jockeys.

JPinMaryland
11-07-2010, 02:53 AM
I see them retiring her but the reality is her appearance fees would be worth more than breeding... the nose defeat is going to but a deflating end to her movie. ...

are you kidding? In the movie they will have her beating Sham to win the BC.

gm10
11-07-2010, 03:06 AM
I guess it depends on how she comes out of the race. LAst year she was kicking down the barn, I think she'll be a more sedate after yesterday. Hope to see her back in the Classic next year, but I'd say the chances aren't great.

Alacrity
11-07-2010, 03:59 AM
She'll run in California again.

stuball
11-07-2010, 08:24 AM
The year is not over..she can still run this year..if Blame were to run challenge him again...she could possibly snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
No, wait that would make a great movie. Ya Think!!!!!!!

Stuball

NJDevil
11-07-2010, 09:11 AM
you can see how much she enjoys racing and being at the tracks. I really don't believe Zenyatta wants to stop racing, I think she'll miss it, but she's not weighing the pros and cons. That's what the owners are for. :(

depalma113
11-07-2010, 09:21 AM
There is no reason to retire her. If she is not injured and still has the will to race, why stop? The Big Cap at Santa Anita on dirt should be her target.

She just might get a walkover.

startngate
11-07-2010, 09:42 AM
I doubt we'd see a full campaign in 2011, but keeping her in training with one or two starts prior to Dubai could be a plausible scenario.

If she's going to run all year, IMO the Dubai trip wouldn't be in the cards, but as a swan-song on a synthetic surface, it works.

Jasonm921
11-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Santa Anita Handicap

bcgreg
11-07-2010, 09:51 AM
The year is not over..she can still run this year..if Blame were to run challenge him again...she could possibly snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
No, wait that would make a great movie. Ya Think!!!!!!!

Stuball

It's over for Blame...he is off to breeding shed.

Zenyatta is 6 and a mare, HUGE MARE...think about this in terms of the toll the last 3 years has taken on her.

Regards,
bcgreg

Stillriledup
11-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Its exciting to think she might race again, but i think that was it for her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M69LdDFbY0c

Cat Thief
11-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Well I know this is where you have an opinion and people should respect that opinion but I can't believe what I am reading. Zenyetta is 6 years old, she has done everything in racing including racing against the boys 2 years in a row, one of them on dirt and who the hell beat her? Only Blame by a nose. It is time for her to retire and take it easy. I am sure they don't give a damn about horse of the year, what is that anyway? Everyone knows Zenyatta is horse of the century. She has done enough.

Grits
11-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Well I know this is where you have an opinion and people should respect that opinion but I can't believe what I am reading. Zenyetta is 6 years old, she has done everything in racing including racing against the boys 2 years in a row, one of them on dirt and who the hell beat her? Only Blame by a nose. It is time for her to retire and take it easy. I am sure they don't give a damn about horse of the year, what is that anyway? Everyone knows Zenyatta is horse of the century. She has done enough.

You're right, I can respect your opinion, while I can still state, "horse of the century"? What a joke. So far from it. And much of that can be attributed to her owner's decisions.

Saratoga_Mike
11-07-2010, 11:36 AM
I suspect Zen is one of the great distance TURF horses of the past 30 yrs that never ran over the turf. I'd love to see her come back and run a few turf marathons next yr. I doubt it will ever happen, but I'd love to see it.

Stevie Belmont
11-07-2010, 11:37 AM
I thought with a win she should be retired, but now I am not so sure. If she is %100 sound and happy it will be a tough call. I would love to see here run again next year, and the door is open.

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 11:59 AM

I hope they fill us in as to why they thought she didnt run her A game.

cj
11-07-2010, 12:01 PM
I hope they fill us in as to why they thought she didnt run her A game.

Who said she didn't? That would just be ridiculous.

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 12:02 PM
There is no reason to retire her. If she is not injured and still has the will to race, why stop? The Big Cap at Santa Anita on dirt should be her target.

She just might get a walkover.

I agree. I'd like to see her run against both sexes and just to see her win again..I miss it already!

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Who said she didn't? That would just be ridiculous.

If sherriffs did say that she will run better than last year, why didnt she? thats just what i want to know.

cj
11-07-2010, 12:06 PM
If sherriffs did say that she will run better than last year, why didnt she? thats just what i want to know.

Who says she didn't run better?

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Who says she didn't run better?

Well, for now I am saying this. since she won last year and not this year, I do not know if they can say she ran better.

although, sherriffs said she ran an excellent race. I think it goes back to: if a really great horse runs an excellent race, they should win! It's disappointing for a new fan such as myself!

tucker6
11-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Well, for now I am saying this. since she won last year and not this year, I do not know if they can say she ran better.

although, sherriffs said she ran an excellent race. I think it goes back to: if a really great horse runs an excellent race, they should win! It's disappointing for a new fan such as myself!you ever consider that her competition this year was much better than last year? Say she improves 5% over last year, but Blame was 10% better than the place horse last year. She'll lose while having a better race. Why so hard to understand?

Grits
11-07-2010, 12:33 PM

although, sherriffs said she ran an excellent race. I think it goes back to: if a really great horse runs an excellent race, they should win! It's disappointing for a new fan such as myself!

You say I keep busting your chops. I'm sorry you feel this way, it's not my intention. To help you learn would be a better way of looking at it, but you simply come up with snippy replies and messages unfortunately. Maybe, I, nor others, can teach you anything. If so, that would be your problem and not mine or anyone else's. Too, you are demanding answers to questions that are not attainable by others here. Who can speak on behalf of her trainer?

Please, allow me this one important note for you, and my, hopefully, last one.

One of the very first givens, the very first rules of this game:

YOU ARE GOING TO BE DISAPPOINTED OFTEN!

The sooner you learn this, the better off you will be. And this is what is leading to many of your posts being questioned. One doesn't demand answers or make atrociously incorrect statements. One reads and studies and learns this game and those that are new to it, those with true desire, fully understand this. Honestly, they do.

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 12:39 PM
you ever consider that her competition this year was much better than last year? Say she improves 5% over last year, but Blame was 10% better than the place horse last year. She'll lose while having a better race. Why so hard to understand?

I didnt mind you explaning it but the last sentence was just a subtle dig against me.

That is what the internet does...the stuff people say on here they would never say person to person. They hide behind a screen.

Grits
11-07-2010, 12:46 PM
I didnt mind you explaning it but the last sentence was just a subtle dig against me.

That is what the internet does...the stuff people say on here they would never say person to person. They hide behind a screen.

You're wrong there, honey, I'd look you dead in the eye in a New York minute and say every word to your face I've typed to you here.

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 12:48 PM
You're wrong there, honey, I'd look you dead in the eye in a New York minute and say every word to your face I've typed to you here.

And I would respect you even less for it. The insulting things you have said in the past? Human beings take pride in what they do...even if its insulting others.

:ThmbDown:

Grits
11-07-2010, 12:55 PM
And I could care less what you think of me. I've never put anyone here on ignore. You just became the first. You're not interested in learning about the sport of horseracing, you're interested in arguing on a messageboard about Zenyatta. Its pretty much the only time you've shown up.

Good luck with your commitment to the game and to earning the respect of others. You've got a mightly long road ahead of you.

EOC

deathandgravity
11-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Arc !!!

tucker6
11-07-2010, 01:22 PM

That is what the internet does...the stuff people say on here they would never say person to person. They hide behind a screen.Everything I said in my post I would have said in person. Why wouldn't I, I meant it?? The idea that a horse could perform better but still lose seems elementary. Thus my statement, "what don't you understand". Honestly, and I would not say this to your face, but I would be thinking it, I sometimes believe your under 18. Some of these concepts are fairly simple.

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Everything I said in my post I would have said in person. Why wouldn't I, I meant it?? The idea that a horse could perform better but still lose seems elementary. Thus my statement, "what don't you understand". Honestly, and I would not say this to your face, but I would be thinking it, I sometimes believe your under 18. Some of these concepts are fairly simple.

Thanks for being honest with me. What concept? That she ran against better horses? You think I didn't know that? :bang:

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 01:27 PM
And I could care less what you think of me. I've never put anyone here on ignore. You just became the first. You're not interested in learning about the sport of horseracing, you're interested in arguing on a messageboard about Zenyatta. Its pretty much the only time you've shown up.

Good luck with your commitment to the game and to earning the respect of others. You've got a mightly long road ahead of you.

EOC

I just won the argument so I take no offense to being put on ignore. :)

I am not here to earn respect but to treat others how I would want to be treated. Sometimes, we struggle with accepting others who are different than us. Depending on the person, we must insult, belittle or ridicule. I choose to respond to difference with more compassion.

tucker6
11-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks for being honest with me. What concept? That she ran against better horses? You think I didn't know that? :bang:
Please, allow me. :bang: :bang:

I have nothing against you. Maybe you need a break to let the emotions out of your system. The concept is that Zenyatta possibly ran the best race of her life yesterday. At the same time, she faced the best horse she'd ever faced in her life. It may be that her best ever was not enough to overcome the best horse she's ever faced. When you step up in competition like she did yesterday, you can be at your best ever and still lose. That's all I'm saying, and the concept I'm trying to explain.

I was not a Zenyatta believer until yesterday. I realized that she performed greatly while losing. Why?? Because she was finally facing the best on their track, and did so admirably. That's a mark of a true champion, win or lose. As a Zenyatta fan, you should be celebrating her accomplishment. She did more for her reputation last night over the coming years than the first 19 races combined for many of us.

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Please, allow me. :bang: :bang:

I have nothing against you. Maybe you need a break to let the emotions out of your system. The concept is that Zenyatta possibly ran the best race of her life yesterday. At the same time, she faced the best horse she'd ever faced in her life. It may be that her best ever was not enough to overcome the best horse she's ever faced. When you step up in competition like she did yesterday, you can be at your best ever and still lose. That's all I'm saying, and the concept I'm trying to explain.

I was not a Zenyatta believer until yesterday. I realized that she performed greatly while losing. Why?? Because she was finally facing the best on their track, and did so admirably. That's a mark of a true champion, win or lose. As a Zenyatta fan, you should be celebrating her accomplishment. She did more for her reputation last night over the coming years than the first 19 races combined for many of us.

Thanks for explaning your thoughts. I definitely react to her loss differently than from you and some of the others on here. To you, it doesnt make sense and I am sure its irritating to you!

And as much as I know she raced some of the best horses in her career and I am proud she did, it doesn't negate the disappointment and loss I feel as she's 19-1. There may be no race to redeem this. And that is definitely the heartbreaker of horse racing. I am a huge football and hockey fan and i know if my team loses one year, there's always next year. Not necessarily with horses. So, yeah, its tough.

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 01:44 PM
My husband has always liked these hitler videos and I never got into it. But the guy just made one about zenyatta and its pretty comical...its def. helped with the sting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YutMhv1gQ&feature=share

tucker6
11-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks for explaning your thoughts. I definitely react to her loss differently than from you and some of the others on here. To you, it doesnt make sense and I am sure its irritating to you!

And as much as I know she raced some of the best horses in her career and I am proud she did, it doesn't negate the disappointment and loss I feel as she's 19-1. There may be no race to redeem this. And that is definitely the heartbreaker of horse racing. I am a huge football and hockey fan and i know if my team loses one year, there's always next year. Not necessarily with horses. So, yeah, its tough.Well, to me, Barbaro was a tough loss, as are every one of the horses that don't make it back to the barn. After a while, a loss on the track is just a loss. Some more than others, mind you, but still just a loss. I was really rooting for Smarty, and was shocked that he lost, but ten minutes later, it was over. Besides, two months later he was on the best vacation he'd ever imagined. If he'd had known that, he would have retired earlier. ;)

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Well, to me, Barbaro was a tough loss, as are every one of the horses that don't make it back to the barn. After a while, a loss on the track is just a loss. Some more than others, mind you, but still just a loss. I was really rooting for Smarty, and was shocked that he lost, but ten minutes later, it was over. Besides, two months later he was on the best vacation he'd ever imagined. If he'd had known that, he would have retired earlier. ;)

Simply, yes, its just a loss. But I think, at least for me, I hoped too much in this one horse. I was extremely elated every time she won and I watched her replays in awe, wonder, and dedication. Mind you, I am a new fan so perhaps a more weathered individual would not react this way.

I've watched football for years now and when my team, the steelers, lose I am upset but I know that it was one game, one year. There's next year.

Like i said in my last post, you don't get this priviledge with horse racing. So the losses are more devastating and heartbreaking..especially with perfection and a 3 BCC championship on the line.

tucker6
11-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Simply, yes, its just a loss. But I think, at least for me, I hoped too much in this one horse. I was extremely elated every time she won and I watched her replays in awe, wonder, and dedication. Mind you, I am a new fan so perhaps a more weathered individual would not react this way.

I've watched football for years now and when my team, the steelers, lose I am upset but I know that it was one game, one year. There's next year.

Like i said in my last post, you don't get this priviledge with horse racing. So the losses are more devastating and heartbreaking..especially with perfection and a 3 BCC championship on the line.I'm a diehard Steeler fan too. I'll never forget 1995, but life goes on. I'm a huge Secretariat fan. He lost several times, but I'd rather enjoy the great things he did in victory than dwell on the Woodward Stakes or Whitney. 35 years later, people remember him for his great things. The same will be true of Zenyatta. They will remember her for what she did, not her one loss.

In my opinion, she is still not top 30 all time, but she is likely in the top 3-5 females of all time, and that's some great company to keep. Whether she had won last night would not have changed my opinion.

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm a diehard Steeler fan too. I'll never forget 1995, but life goes on. I'm a huge Secretariat fan. He lost several times, but I'd rather enjoy the great things he did in victory than dwell on the Woodward Stakes or Whitney. 35 years later, people remember him for his great things. The same will be true of Zenyatta. They will remember her for what she did, not her one loss.

In my opinion, she is still not top 30 all time, but she is likely in the top 3-5 females of all time, and that's some great company to keep. Whether she had won last night would not have changed my opinion.

Wow, nice to meet another steelers fan! Yeah, I was a young girl in 1995 but I cried my eyes out when they lost! I know what you mean. I had a guy at college tell me his roommate threw his christmas tree out the window when they lost it! :lol:

That's a great point about Secretariat. It's true that you only hear of his victories, esp the triple crown, and even the movie didn't focus on his losses (except his first).

I wanted her to win to quiet the critics. But, like others have mentioned, she gained a lot of respect by even being in the race and she did handily beat the other males, even from such a crappy start.

At the end of the day you want to say "undefeated" and not "19-1."

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 02:46 PM
tucker,

do you think zenyatta had the stride length for this race? watching the replay, i didnt see that massive stride run that she had for her previous 19 races. Maybe the dirt?

tucker6
11-07-2010, 02:59 PM
At the end of the day you want to say "undefeated" and not "19-1."Well, if it's any consolation, Pepper's Pride went undefeated in her career by only racing in New Mexico. She's not considered on anyone's lists as great. Nor does she probably have a website or fanclub. Nor was she great. Bottom line is that undefeated record means nothing if it isn't able to be judged against something. None of the top 30 all time greats went undefeated, so what made them great. Efforts that defied the human imagination. At certain moments in time, they strived to be the best like the great human athletes do at the Olympics. Many times they succeeded. Sometimes they failed like Zenyatta. However, does the loss mean the effort wasn't worth noting?? That's why you should get past your disappointment. A record means nothings. It's the effort in the face of adversity that people remember.

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Well, if it's any consolation, Pepper's Pride went undefeated in her career by only racing in New Mexico. She's not considered on anyone's lists as great. Nor does she probably have a website or fanclub. Nor was she great. Bottom line is that undefeated record means nothing if it isn't able to be judged against something. None of the top 30 all time greats went undefeated, so what made them great. Efforts that defied the human imagination. At certain moments in time, they strived to be the best like the great human athletes do at the Olympics. Many times they succeeded. Sometimes they failed like Zenyatta. However, does the loss mean the effort wasn't worth noting?? That's why you should get past your disappointment. A record means nothings. It's the effort in the face of adversity that people remember.

As a perfectionist, Zenyatta's loss wrecks havoc on me! But, I fully understand your points and I agree that peppers pride will be followed," she only raced in new mexico." While unbeaten, there is an asterick after it so thinking that does bring some relief.

I asked in the other post, do you think her stride length was that of her previous races?

tucker6
11-07-2010, 03:15 PM
tucker,

do you think zenyatta had the stride length for this race? watching the replay, i didnt see that massive stride run that she had for her previous 19 races. Maybe the dirt?I couldn't say. I'm surely no expert in that analysis. There are some on here that are students of the game, and could give you a better answer. Start a new thread and ask the question.

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 03:35 PM
When asked if he had watched the replay, he replied, “Well, maybe later. It was her last race. It’s all over. Why watch it again.

“She’ll go back to California,” Shirreffs continued. “She’ll be there for about a month. That’s the thing about horse racing. As a trainer you have to learn to let go. Heck, she’s been a champion for three years and she’s going to a great place.”

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/zenyatta-greets-hundreds-of-fans-sunday-morning/?utm_campaign=Paulick+Report&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

By this, it sounds like she'll probably retire. I am a little upset by this because I still think she has it in her to keep running and winning. Most fans dont want to see her leave and it will definitely be hard to let her go.

I was just hoping they would run her again.

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Fan's reaction to zenyatta's loss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8kS-bNSrtQ

cj
11-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Fan's reaction to zenyatta's loss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8kS-bNSrtQ

Can we add a poll? Who was that?

a) carlonr
b) thaskalos
c) stevie belmont
d) gm10
e) Pick6
f) all of the above

tucker6
11-07-2010, 04:05 PM

a) carlonr
b) thaskalos
c) stevie belmont
d) gm10
e) Pick6
f) all of the above
Talk about hall of fame lineup. Those are some of the great of the game right there. GM's the champ though. He tries harder than the rest.

Tom
11-07-2010, 04:47 PM
That was the TVG studio feed.

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 04:56 PM

a) carlonr
b) thaskalos
c) stevie belmont
d) gm10
e) Pick6
f) all of the above

maybe zippychippy! :)

JustRalph
11-07-2010, 05:11 PM
We know who it was.......they posted....in a thread that they were screaming "she's gonna win" I will have to do a search.......

WJ47
11-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Well, I had wanted her to retire prior to the 2010 Classic. However, I've changed my tune. Zenyatta seems to love to run. If she's healthy and competitive, why not let her keep racing? There are many geldings who stay sound and race until they are 7 or 8.

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 05:14 PM
We know who it was.......they posted....in a thread that they were screaming "she's gonna win" I will have to do a search.......

I am interested! I enjoyed the video and posted it on my facebook wall :)

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Sherriffs said today that zenyatta came out of the race "really well." So, that's great to hear. I wonder when they will make a decision...it could be as early as this week.

cpitt84
11-07-2010, 07:56 PM
“She had a great career,” Shirreffs said. “Let’s celebrate that. I’m pretty sure she’s not going to race anymore. She had a fabulous run. She’s been great for the business, a thrill to train. Look where she’s taken us. It’s disappointing, but we’ll get over it. She’s been the highlight of my career. I’ve had wonderful three years with Zenyatta. As a trainer, you have to let go.”

drf.com

I think its ridiculous that they would retire her if she was healthy and wanted to keep racing.

Ugh. Although i kind of expected it, I hope they reconsider how great she is for the sport.

I wish I could talk to john!

JustRalph
11-07-2010, 08:36 PM
I think its ridiculous that they would retire her if she was healthy and wanted to keep racing.

you really have to stop this........ you are killing me........ :lol:

Jasonm921
11-07-2010, 08:43 PM
That was the TVG studio feed.

I was laughing watching the video and then laughed harder after reading that line. Great stuff.

cpitt84
11-08-2010, 11:38 AM
"I can think of three good reasons to keep the big mare in training and virtually no reason to retire her.

1. She obviously still has it. She lost, but ran a huge race. There is no reason to believe her ability has or will fade in the immeadiate future.

2. Moss obviously doesnt need the money that she and her offspring could bring commercially.

3. Why not go out with a win? One more win gives her 20, one more win erases the bad taste in everyones mouth and a 2 or 3 race swing would even increase her legend that much further.

Moss has been generous enough to keep the mare in training since she is obviously healthy and happy, why not give it one more push? They dont have to give her a full campaign, but what about one final 6 month mini campaign early in the season? There's the Big Cap, Dubai World Cup, Donn Handicap, Oaklawn Handicap. What about a turf start?

She has given us more than we deserve, but why retire her under the premise of "having earned it". She's earned the right to keep racing, and who the hell knows if she wont be just as happy charging down the stretch as she would be carrying foals around for the rest of her life. I say continue to.... LET THE BIG DOG EAT! "

Poster from thoroughbredchampions

I hope the Mosses agree!!

cpitt84
11-08-2010, 10:33 PM
“Everyone’s asking me why he let her drop back so far,” said McCarron, figuring the listener would know the “he” was Mike Smith and the “her” was Zenyatta, who had just lost by the length of Blame’s head for the first time in her 20-race career.

“I don’t think it was his idea,” McCarron went on. “When he went by me he was niggling on her, trying to get her to pick it up a little. She must not have been all that comfortable with the surface, and that can happen. Then look what she did.”

drf.com

cpitt84
11-09-2010, 03:43 PM
"Zenyatta to Race in 2011???
I have a source, of pretty good authority in racing, that the early reaction by the Moss's to Zenyatta's narrow defeat is that she is still able to compete at the same level, as they feel she was best in the race. That in addition to the tremendous boost in both betting handle and TV-ratings (preliminary reports have the Cup telecast up 184%), are a factor in their decision, and there is a chance that she once again, may not be retired. I am not saying that she is coming back, I am saying that based on a good source, there is a possibility. Granted, this may just be an impulsive reaction to the loss that over time will subside, but that remains to be seen.
"

http://www.darinzracing.com/

joanied
11-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Well, I'm late to the ball game, but it's taken me a couple of days to digest the Classic...I have read through a zillionposts here, and we have so many threads going I didn't know where to post...this thread was on top, so here I am.So many opinions have been typed in, I hate to repeat what's already been said.
I had to take Sunday off...needed a change of venue to try and find my better side...so we drove up near Yellowstone Park, and sitting beside the river, watching our dogs play in the water, warmed by a big fire we built...my mind kept wandering back to the Classic...
in defeat, Zenyatta elevated herself in the eyes of all her doubters...in that manner, I feel good about it. I don't like to repeat, but as many have said, any other horse would have given up while Zenyatta's incredible class carried her to do something wonderful with something she didn't like...the track surface...to make up all that ground, and beat up on all those colts, was amazing...she overcame every pitfall that has gotten so many other good horses, champions, beaten, and well beaten at that...to finish half a head behind a very good colt that had a dream trip is certainly a testament to her class, courage and talent.
Of course, I was crushed after the race...going from one extreme to another within 5 seconds time is hard to deal with...but, after all is said and done...Zenyatta simply made a huge statement with her stretch run on Saturday...she is that good.

My greatest saddness after the Classic was for Mike Smith...I cannot imagine anything different he could have done...IMO, a work over the Churchill track may have made all the difference in the Classic outcome...that was the only way they, especially Mike, would have known how she'd like or dislike the surface...they really didn't know, sure, she galloped fine over it, but one work, and they would have had something to work on...Mike would have known ahead of time she didn't like the feel under her feet, and could have made adjustments...but, that's my opinion, and it's so much water under the bridge now, it matters not.
But I feel such a saddness for Mike Smith. I hope he can put this to rest, in time...and it's going to take a good long time...he should talk to Kent D...I would bet, despite what he might say, that Kent is still not over blowing the Triple Crown by a nose...no doubt, he understands what Smith is going through...
I am also very sad for her groom...from first hand experience, I know what that true horse/groom bond can be like...his life at the track will never be the same after she leaves...and my heart aches for him, it's going to be incredibly difficult for him.

I'm not sure what I feel about having Zen race again...and I'm glad I don't have to decide that one...I'm sure Zen will stay at the barn for at least a few weeks, during which, the Moss's will watch and wait...my guess is they do retire her...

I feel incredible fortunate to have been around for Zenyatta...not just her streak, but to feast my eyes on one of the most magificent race horses I have ever seen...she is simply gorgeous, so beautifully put together, her awesome personality, charisma, dancing, prancing antics, her incredible disposition, sweet, loving, affectionate, and that she and Mike Smith were a perfect couple...I am happy he will go down in race history as her rider, her friend.
In the end, all I want is for the mare to continue her happiness in life...and I'd give just as much to be there for her first foaling than I would have to see her race...she's going to be a fantastic mama.

Thanks for everything, Zenyatta and Mike:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

cpitt84
11-10-2010, 02:24 AM
Looks like decision on zenyatta's future will probably be made late Nov:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6A84QU20101109

Good news is that if they were to retire her, they probably would has said something already. At least that's my opinion.

PaceAdvantage
11-10-2010, 04:56 AM
This is nothing but Shirreffs in "campaign" mode, working the crowd for his "candidate." He's too smart a man and trainer to realistically think that Zenyatta could have had any better of a trip than she received, given her running style.

"In these kind of races you just need a break and have some luck somewhere in the race," he said. "On Saturday, Zenyatta just didn't catch a break anywhere.

"When Quality Road backed up in front of her and Mike had to alter course and take back, that was tough. She's zig-zagging down the lane, looking for a path, and has to check and go one more wide. That probably cost her."Didn't catch a break? Fast pace set up front by a group of four horses who totally collapsed and brought the race back to his lolly-gagging mare, who, contrary to his mythology reprinted above, NEVER had to check or take back...that's not a HUGE BREAK?

Did she alter course? Yes, of course, but that's to be expected when you break last and race last behind a full field of quality horses. Rare is the non-front-running horse who gets to follow that singular path to the winner's circle without altering course.

Like I said...he's in campaign mode for HOTY, and has been now for many a week.

Kevroc
11-10-2010, 05:47 AM
“She had a great career,” Shirreffs said. “Let’s celebrate that. I’m pretty sure she’s not going to race anymore. She had a fabulous run. She’s been great for the business, a thrill to train. Look where she’s taken us. It’s disappointing, but we’ll get over it. She’s been the highlight of my career.

Ken Rudulph just threw his racing form on the ground. :lol:

bks
11-10-2010, 08:54 AM
“Let’s celebrate that. I’m pretty sure she’s not going to race anymore."
--John Shirreffs

He has to say this to stay respectful to the Mosses, who will make the ultimate decision on her future. If Shirreffs had a vote, I think we know which way it would go.

PA wrote:
Didn't catch a break? Fast pace set up front by a group of four horses who totally collapsed and brought the race back to his lolly-gagging mare, who, contrary to his mythology reprinted above, NEVER had to check or take back...that's not a HUGE BREAK?

To be fair, the official chart notes that she "steadied briefly and altered course outside Quality Road near the quarter mile marker", which was consistent with what I saw on the bend before entering the stretch:

http://www1.drf.com/drfPDFChartRacesIndexAction.do?TRK=CD&CTY=USA&DATE=20101106&RN=11

But she had a good trip, overall. Someone said "B+", which is about right. And we should keep in mind that even with a slightly better trip, Zenyatta still may not have outgutted Blame that day. He was very tough and may have had a bit more to give.

cpitt84
11-10-2010, 06:06 PM
--John Shirreffs

He has to say this to stay respectful to the Mosses, who will make the ultimate decision on her future. If Shirreffs had a vote, I think we know which way it would go.

To be fair, the official chart notes that she "steadied briefly and altered course outside Quality Road near the quarter mile marker", which was consistent with what I saw on the bend before entering the stretch:

http://www1.drf.com/drfPDFChartRacesIndexAction.do?TRK=CD&CTY=USA&DATE=20101106&RN=11

But she had a good trip, overall. Someone said "B+", which is about right. And we should keep in mind that even with a slightly better trip, Zenyatta still may not have outgutted Blame that day. He was very tough and may have had a bit more to give.

And just the other day, John said Mosses have to discuss it and a decision will probably be made late Nov.

If John says she's healthy and sound, Mosses may run her.

Mike smith, on the radio show, said that zenyatta recovered just 15 min after the race. I don't see why any of them want to end her career on a loss.

joanied
11-10-2010, 06:14 PM
--John Shirreffs

I'm glad you addressed that to PA, I was gonna do it myself. I looked at the race again,in slow motion, and it's clear to see that Mike had to check when QR stopped...Blame may have won anyway, but IMO, not...that split second of checking, IMO, was all it took, since it'd take a 17.2 hand horse a bit longer to regain momentum than a horse of 16h would...I beleive that check cost her the race (you can also see that Blame was all out to beat her)

JustRalph
11-10-2010, 06:19 PM
If they race her again, and she gets hurt or god forbid worse.......they will be the biggest villains in the history of racing

Nets
11-10-2010, 06:21 PM
If they race her again, and she gets hurt or god forbid worse.......they will be the biggest villains in the history of racing

I agree. They don't owe race fans anything. They owe her everything.

cpitt84
11-10-2010, 06:30 PM

By some, yes. But, that's a risk everyone takes when you bring back a horse.

PaceAdvantage
11-10-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm glad you addressed that to PA, I was gonna do it myself. I looked at the race again,in slow motion, and it's clear to see that Mike had to check when QR stopped...Blame may have won anyway, but IMO, not...that split second of checking, IMO, was all it took, since it'd take a 17.2 hand horse a bit longer to regain momentum than a horse of 16h would...I beleive that check cost her the race (you can also see that Blame was all out to beat her)To "check" means to gather up and stop your forward momentum. At no point in the race did Zenyatta's momentum ever come close to pausing, let alone stopping. There is no way she checked. She went around a tiring rival.

That isn't checking. If Smith had to put on the brakes because there was a horse to the outside and a horse to the inside and he had nowhere to go as Quality Road was backing up into him, that would qualify as a check.

joanied
11-10-2010, 06:54 PM
IF they keep her in training, you can bet her races will be few and far between...I don't know how I feel about this topic, but I do know that Shirreff's would have to be the one that actually decides whether or not she can keep her top form through seveal more months of racing...if she stays, then they'd almost have to point for the Classic again...and it might be just a bit too much for a 7 yr. old mare...even Zenyatta.
If she goes to the farm, she'll still be as charismatic and wonderful as she is now...and I'd also bet they will keep up a web site for her so fans can keep watch and see her baby...and another consideration is her age and foaling...to have her first foal at age 7 might not be so easy...allowing her another year of racing puts her first born when she's 8...that's getting out of the comfort zone for broodmares.

PaceAdvantage
11-10-2010, 07:02 PM
IF they keep her in training, you can bet her races will be few and far between...No different than her entire career.

joanied
11-10-2010, 07:16 PM
To "check" means to gather up and stop your forward momentum. At no point in the race did Zenyatta's momentum ever come close to pausing, let alone stopping. There is no way she checked. She went around a tiring rival.

That isn't checking. If Smith had to put on the brakes because there was a horse to the outside and a horse to the inside and he had nowhere to go as Quality Road was backing up into him, that would qualify as a check.

You really didn't have to explain checking, PA...and I think we'll need to agree to disagree on this matter...but I will say that you obviously know more than the guy writting the chart:rolleyes:

cpitt84
11-10-2010, 07:20 PM
IF they keep her in training, you can bet her races will be few and far between...I don't know how I feel about this topic, but I do know that Shirreff's would have to be the one that actually decides whether or not she can keep her top form through seveal more months of racing...if she stays, then they'd almost have to point for the Classic again...and it might be just a bit too much for a 7 yr. old mare...even Zenyatta.
If she goes to the farm, she'll still be as charismatic and wonderful as she is now...and I'd also bet they will keep up a web site for her so fans can keep watch and see her baby...and another consideration is her age and foaling...to have her first foal at age 7 might not be so easy...allowing her another year of racing puts her first born when she's 8...that's getting out of the comfort zone for broodmares.

I think I am the only one that doesn't want her to be a broodmare. IT's highly unlikely any of her foals will be top contenders anyway.

Its so hard to say goodbye to the great ones :(

Beachbabe
11-10-2010, 07:37 PM
I hear Hillary is putting out feelers to see if Zen would take the 2nd spot on the Dems ticket.

Wickel
11-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Other than being a bit farther back at the start, I agree that Zenyatta had an almost-perfect trip. She hugged the rail through the turn, and even though she altered course, she never altered her stride or lost momentum. I've watched the race over and over and it almost seems like she was hanging in the final couple of yards. Midstretch, I felt she was a surefire winner. But then again, it appeared to almost re-break at the sixteenth pole. Last year's Classic win was the greatest race I've ever seen; this year's runner-up ranks way up there. I'm in the minority, I know, but I think she deserves horse of the year. Not all her wins in 2010 were true Grade I's, but she was stretched to the limit in a couple of them. Hey, she won them all and there's something to be said about that. And what a performance Saturday--win or lose.

Wickel
11-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing. I was extremely proud of Garrett Gomez and Mike Smith--both of them New Mexico products!!!

joanied
11-10-2010, 08:33 PM
I hear Hillary is putting out feelers to see if Zen would take the 2nd spot on the Dems ticket.

Zenyatta would never be a Dem :) ;)

FenceBored
11-10-2010, 08:43 PM

Sorry to nitpick. She's already looking to have her first at 8; currently 6, breed at 7, foal at 8.

joanied
11-10-2010, 08:43 PM
I think I am the only one that doesn't want her to be a broodmare. IT's highly unlikely any of her foals will be top contenders anyway.

Its so hard to say goodbye to the great ones :(

It doesn't matter if her babies turn into stakes winners, champions...although, being a top class race mare, she has a high percentage of producing some top class horses (as long as she's bred to a stallion that'll help a little:) )...so, ya never know.

I know it IS hard to say good bye to our great ones, especially one like Zen because she's so damned charismatic...but if they do send her to the farm, you'll have to hang on to memories and replays...and be grateful that you were here at the same time as she was...

and if you have never been around broodmares, maybe you don't realize how wonderful it is for them...gorgeous farms, wonderful folks taking care of them, the best of everything, and to those that will be working closely with her, the bond they form is incredible...there is just something about broodmares...and when you are there for the birth of a foal, and you are with that mare while she's giving birth, and spend your days with her and her baby...beleive me, cpitt84...it's one of the most wonderful 'relationships' you could ever have:)

cpitt84
11-10-2010, 09:17 PM
If only horses lived to be 50 years old!

Thanks joanied for your thoughts. I guess the Mosses want to be "grandparents" :D

Tom
11-10-2010, 09:34 PM
It doesn't matter if her babies turn into stakes winners, champions......just don't let them grow up to be cowboys!:cool:

cpitt84
11-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Here's a proposed schedule if Zen races next year:
Santa Anita H (G1) 3/u 1-1/4m. - early March
Gamely H (G1T) 3/u f/m 1-1/8mT - late May
Hollywood Gold Cup (G1) 3/u 1-1/4m. - early July
Pacific Classic (G1) 3/u 1-1/4m. - late August
Goodwood H (G1) 3/u 1-1/8m. - early October
Breeders' Cup Classic (G1) 3/u 1-1/4m. - early November

joanied
11-11-2010, 12:39 PM
...just don't let them grow up to be cowboys!:cool:

God forbid:eek: ...you're funny, Tom:D

joanied
11-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Sorry to nitpick. She's already looking to have her first at 8; currently 6, breed at 7, foal at 8.

Glad you did...you're right about the ages...I didn't think it through...all the more reason to get her started as a broodmare!
:)

joanied
11-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Here's a proposed schedule if Zen races next year:
Santa Anita H (G1) 3/u 1-1/4m. - early March
Gamely H (G1T) 3/u f/m 1-1/8mT - late May
Hollywood Gold Cup (G1) 3/u 1-1/4m. - early July
Pacific Classic (G1) 3/u 1-1/4m. - late August
Goodwood H (G1) 3/u 1-1/8m. - early October
Breeders' Cup Classic (G1) 3/u 1-1/4m. - early November

Nice scheduel, cpitt84...but I think you need to get ready for her retirment announcment at the end of the month.
Have you been around broodmares & foals at all? I have no doubt the Moss's want to be 'grandparents'...it's fantastic, next best thing to being the woner of a horse like Zenyatta...in fact, I hope they are there when she has her first foal...it's an other worldy experience to witness that event...no matter how many times you do it, it's always magical.

cpitt84
11-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Nice scheduel, cpitt84...but I think you need to get ready for her retirment announcment at the end of the month.
Have you been around broodmares & foals at all? I have no doubt the Moss's want to be 'grandparents'...it's fantastic, next best thing to being the woner of a horse like Zenyatta...in fact, I hope they are there when she has her first foal...it's an other worldy experience to witness that event...no matter how many times you do it, it's always magical.

No, I havent. Maybe I will someday.

Yeah, I know her retirement is probably coming up and I still clinging to that 1% chance she won't be. :(

PaceAdvantage
11-11-2010, 05:21 PM
You really didn't have to explain checking, PA...and I think we'll need to agree to disagree on this matter...but I will say that you obviously know more than the guy writting the chart:rolleyes:Right...I couldn't possibly know more than the "guy writing the chart." How so exactly? How can you possibly know this? You know nothing about me. I could easily know more than the guy writing the chart. I'm not saying I actually do, but I can't see how you could possibly know this either way.

joanied
11-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Right...I couldn't possibly know more than the "guy writing the chart." How so exactly? How can you possibly know this? You know nothing about me. I could easily know more than the guy writing the chart. I'm not saying I actually do, but I can't see how you could possibly know this either way.

All I'm saying is that she was hindered by QR when he stopped...and it says that in the chart...
don't make a mountain out of a molehill, PA...it's not that important...you just seemed so sure she wasn't checked in the slightest...but she was...that's all...like I said, we'll agree to disagree about this...I don't want to argue. You have your take on it, and I have mine...so let's call that good 'nuff.
:)

palookabox
11-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Perfection Lost But Greatness Gained
Today we lost that sports moment in time we all cherish. That thing in sports we all crave for. Something to always remember. Something unforgettable. That thing you talk about as sports fans with friends and other fans that says we will always remember that, and wasn't that great. Then the comparisons start about who was the best of all time, or what was the greatest moment. Today America had a chance to have that moment. Everything all week led up to that moment. America got a chance to catch on late with the help of magazines and Television. It was a story made from Hollywood almost Heaven sent in a time of need. A feel good story in a year of uncertain economy turmoil and tabloid gossip. The cheers, the fan fare, the dancing was all there right up to the starting gate. But when the gate opened our hearts hit our stomach's. As the first half of the race was completed we all knew it was going to have to be a real miracle for our hearts not to be broken. Yes, this was her style but not this far back and not on this track and up against this field. You could feel the race being lost coming around the turn for home. No where to go and valuable time lost. Then a small opening to the outside that will lose more time but it's the only chance we have. She breaks free and can run, but looking at the field in front of her there is no way no chance against the best horses out there. But then you see that stride. That familiar move we have all seen before that has greatness written all over it. One by One they all fall behind like a train just went by them. Our hearts lift out of our stomach's because our heads say to us we have saw this before. That phenomenal stretch drive like the other horses are standing still. Unbelievable can this be the same horse that was at least 20 lengths back. The same horse that was tied up starting around the turn. One horse left but time is running short each stride a little closer. She has caught the other horse and needs just one more stride. But this time the great Zenyatta stride is too late. She passes the other horse but the finish line photo finish shows she lost by a nose. She fought the travel, the media frenzy, the dirt track, the bad start, the 20 lengths down and still only lost by a nose. The other horse had the perfect race. No problems just had to hold on and not get tracked down. One lost stride for perfection. The other horse's owner says we had it all the way. But the film shows different. It was just a matter of time that came a stride to late. Anything can happen in horse racing that's what made this 19-0 run so remarkable. Any given day like today to many odds are against you. While the other side had everything go completely perfect. What we learned today is not about our hearts being broken but about the heart of a Champion we grew to love. Who had no chance at all and just about pulled it off. Her critics who said she couldn't run on dirt saw that she did the same thing she always had done. Even with the worst of odds this time. Again one lost stride for perfection. This race will never be about how Blame won. It will always be about how Zenyatta lost. When your perfect in sports everybody remembers and never forgets. Who remembers the New England Patriots win streak because they ended up losing it in the Super Bowl a few years ago. But they all remember the 1972 Miami Dolphins. If Zenyatta would have won I can only imagine how the media frenzy would have been. You could feel the let down from Churchill downs, the TV announcers, across America at that moment in time. The winners circle seemed like a mortuary and Gomez the jockey almost apologetic. We all knew who was the best horse out there that day. Mike Smith the jockey can replay it over and over again. If we just would have done this or that because he knew already what we all know now. She is the best thing to come along in horse racing for a long time and probably the greatest filly who ever lived and he wanted her to have this sports moment so no one would ever forget. Hopefully unlike the New England Patriots we wont forget. Tonight Andrew Beyers and Jess Jackson breath a sign of relief her biggest critics. What were they thinking when Zenyatta made her charge? Again one lost stride for perfection. What excuses will they come up with now. It took all odds against her and a perfect race to beat her. Don't you hate it when someone lucks out and doesn't have to answer for being wrong. Today in this sports moment we lost perfection but we gained greatness. It's about what we call in sports of having the heart to overcome impossible odds and not so much about winning but to give it your all and giving it your best. We should all remember this day for Zenyatta never giving up and giving it all she had. Again one lost stride for perfection. But the heart that made her the Greatest Filly of all Time.

Written by Dominic Campisi 11/6/10

Jasonm921
11-11-2010, 10:57 PM
I have a strange feeling that she will not be retired. I think the Mosses love the Zenyatta experience and don't want to let go. I could be wrong but I think they would have announced it already.

Cardus
11-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Perfection Lost But Greatness Gained
Today we lost that sports moment in time we all cherish. That thing in sports we all crave for. Something to always remember. Something unforgettable. That thing you talk about as sports fans with friends and other fans that says we will always remember that, and wasn't that great. Then the comparisons start about who was the best of all time, or what was the greatest moment. Today America had a chance to have that moment. Everything all week led up to that moment. America got a chance to catch on late with the help of magazines and Television. It was a story made from Hollywood almost Heaven sent in a time of need. A feel good story in a year of uncertain economy turmoil and tabloid gossip. The cheers, the fan fare, the dancing was all there right up to the starting gate. But when the gate opened our hearts hit our stomach's. As the first half of the race was completed we all knew it was going to have to be a real miracle for our hearts not to be broken. Yes, this was her style but not this far back and not on this track and up against this field. You could feel the race being lost coming around the turn for home. No where to go and valuable time lost. Then a small opening to the outside that will lose more time but it's the only chance we have. She breaks free and can run, but looking at the field in front of her there is no way no chance against the best horses out there. But then you see that stride. That familiar move we have all seen before that has greatness written all over it. One by One they all fall behind like a train just went by them. Our hearts lift out of our stomach's because our heads say to us we have saw this before. That phenomenal stretch drive like the other horses are standing still. Unbelievable can this be the same horse that was at least 20 lengths back. The same horse that was tied up starting around the turn. One horse left but time is running short each stride a little closer. She has caught the other horse and needs just one more stride. But this time the great Zenyatta stride is too late. She passes the other horse but the finish line photo finish shows she lost by a nose. She fought the travel, the media frenzy, the dirt track, the bad start, the 20 lengths down and still only lost by a nose. The other horse had the perfect race. No problems just had to hold on and not get tracked down. One lost stride for perfection. The other horse's owner says we had it all the way. But the film shows different. It was just a matter of time that came a stride to late. Anything can happen in horse racing that's what made this 19-0 run so remarkable. Any given day like today to many odds are against you. While the other side had everything go completely perfect. What we learned today is not about our hearts being broken but about the heart of a Champion we grew to love. Who had no chance at all and just about pulled it off. Her critics who said she couldn't run on dirt saw that she did the same thing she always had done. Even with the worst of odds this time. Again one lost stride for perfection. This race will never be about how Blame won. It will always be about how Zenyatta lost. When your perfect in sports everybody remembers and never forgets. Who remembers the New England Patriots win streak because they ended up losing it in the Super Bowl a few years ago. But they all remember the 1972 Miami Dolphins. If Zenyatta would have won I can only imagine how the media frenzy would have been. You could feel the let down from Churchill downs, the TV announcers, across America at that moment in time. The winners circle seemed like a mortuary and Gomez the jockey almost apologetic. We all knew who was the best horse out there that day. Mike Smith the jockey can replay it over and over again. If we just would have done this or that because he knew already what we all know now. She is the best thing to come along in horse racing for a long time and probably the greatest filly who ever lived and he wanted her to have this sports moment so no one would ever forget. Hopefully unlike the New England Patriots we wont forget. Tonight Andrew Beyers and Jess Jackson breath a sign of relief her biggest critics. What were they thinking when Zenyatta made her charge? Again one lost stride for perfection. What excuses will they come up with now. It took all odds against her and a perfect race to beat her. Don't you hate it when someone lucks out and doesn't have to answer for being wrong. Today in this sports moment we lost perfection but we gained greatness. It's about what we call in sports of having the heart to overcome impossible odds and not so much about winning but to give it your all and giving it your best. We should all remember this day for Zenyatta never giving up and giving it all she had. Again one lost stride for perfection. But the heart that made her the Greatest Filly of all Time.

Written by Dominic Campisi 11/6/10

My stomach's ill, too.

cpitt84
11-12-2010, 02:23 AM
I have a strange feeling that she will not be retired. I think the Mosses love the Zenyatta experience and don't want to let go. I could be wrong but I think they would have announced it already.

I hope you are right! And I've been thinking the same thing