PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre happening at WO Race 11

Rookies
11-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Blackout half way through the race. :eek:

Declared " No contest" by the OJC and all bets refunded/reduced with Pk 3s...

First for me...

Market Mover
11-06-2010, 11:58 PM
Blackout half way through the race. :eek:

Declared " No contest" by the OJC and all bets refunded/reduced with Pk 3s...

First for me...

Please describe in more detail what exactly happened.

Rookies
11-07-2010, 12:17 AM
I was watching with one eye and suddenly both the TV & MY PC screen went virtually black, with only the the numbered runners in view. This occurred about 1/2 through the race. By the rules in Ontario, because the race couldn't be followed, the enquiry sign went up and all direct bets on the race were refunded.

I'd bet W/Ex/Tri & Super and was using a web account. ALL were refunded.

Market Mover
11-07-2010, 01:55 AM
I was watching with one eye and suddenly both the TV & MY PC screen went virtually black, with only the the numbered runners in view. This occurred about 1/2 through the race. By the rules in Ontario, because the race couldn't be followed, the enquiry sign went up and all direct bets on the race were refunded.

I'd bet W/Ex/Tri & Super and was using a web account. ALL were refunded.

Wow that is a first. It amazes me that with the technology these tracks have to keep live feeds going, that they wouldnt be able to review trackside videotapes to see if any inquiries or objections have to be investigated.

GregReinhart
11-07-2010, 03:00 AM
Anybody who watches racing at WEG on a regular basis knows this is hardly the first time this has happened - in fact, when either WEG track hosts a big stakes card, it's nearly a metaphysical certainty that it will happen.

The only thing this time was that it happened three-quarters of the way through the far turn in the last race instead of during one of the stakes races.

Sea Biscuit
11-07-2010, 03:07 AM
In 30 years of racing this was a first for me too.

I had patiently passed ten races to bet the #4 Firethorn in the 11th race.

Firethorn went first up and as the horses approached 3/4 mark the lights went out but you could clearly see Firethorn winning the race as there were lights at the finish line by a good length. He went off at a decent odds of 5-1.

Needless to say I was livid at the no contest ruling.

Watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW_y7N6xHqc

The Bit
11-07-2010, 09:18 AM
This circuit seems to have trouble paying the electric bills! This is a pretty frequent occurence, or atleast electrical issues or a frequent occurence at Mohawk and Woodbine.

Sea Biscuit
11-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Wow that is a first. It amazes me that with the technology these tracks have to keep live feeds going, that they wouldnt be able to review trackside videotapes to see if any inquiries or objections have to be investigated.

It wasn't a close finish either. From the video itself you can make out the result. In this case it was 4-3-9-1 plain as daylight.

Zman179
11-07-2010, 12:41 PM
The No Contest ruling is fair because you can tell by looking at the "chicklets" on the bottom of the replay that the majority of the drivers stopped driving as a result of the blackout. The 6 and 10 dropped off the screen and the only horse to make a move was the 4; all of the others stayed in place.

Sea Biscuit
11-07-2010, 01:39 PM
The No Contest ruling is fair because you can tell by looking at the "chicklets" on the bottom of the replay that the majority of the drivers stopped driving as a result of the blackout. The 6 and 10 dropped off the screen and the only horse to make a move was the 4; all of the others stayed in place.

It must be a terrifying feeling and a drivers nightmare come true when everything goes black when you have horses in front of you, in the back of you and on your side during a race.

Its a disaster waiting to happen and should be treated as a wake up call as far as the Woodbine admin is concerned.

It has happened too many times to ignore it.

Tom
11-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Two words for them: gener ator.

JustRalph
11-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Two words for them: gener ator.

Nascar has emergency lighting that is on all the time . Less light, but on a different localized power source (from a generator) so that if the cars are going 150pmh at Bristol and the lights go out in the middle of the race, they can still see and the caution lights can come on.

wilderness
11-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Just so everybody has something to moan about ;)

The following from the May 13, 1964 Harness Horse and Mohawk Raceway:

A power failure forced cancellation after the fourth race of last Friday's card at Mohawk Raceway, a $3,000,000 plant 22 miles northwest of Toronto.

Sea Biscuit
11-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Just so everybody has something to moan about ;)

The following from the May 13, 1964 Harness Horse and Mohawk Raceway:

A power failure forced cancellation after the fourth race of last Friday's card at Mohawk Raceway, a $3,000,000 plant 22 miles northwest of Toronto.

The guys who should really moan about are the horsemen and the drivers whose lives are on the line.

It was a first time that the power failure happened during an actual race and they should consider themselves lucky that no serious mishap occurred as a result of that.

Its time to do something about it now.

Pacingguy
11-11-2010, 06:05 AM
The guys who should really moan about are the horsemen and the drivers whose lives are on the line.

It was a first time that the power failure happened during an actual race and they should consider themselves lucky that no serious mishap occurred as a result of that.

Its time to do something about it now.

This is the second time I am aware of it; someone else said it was the third time this year. The last time, the power that ran the photo finish equipment went out. After the last time, the ORC passed a rule allowing them to stop a race in the event of no lights or a bad accident on the track.

They need to fire the person responsible for feeding the squirrels who run the generator. All kidding aside, except right near the finish line that last quarter was in pitch black. As for emergency lights, do you really think they are going to invest in putting in emergency lights on the track?

Sea Biscuit
11-11-2010, 07:43 AM
This is the second time I am aware of it; someone else said it was the third time this year. The last time, the power that ran the photo finish equipment went out. After the last time, the ORC passed a rule allowing them to stop a race in the event of no lights or a bad accident on the track.

They need to fire the person responsible for feeding the squirrels who run the generator. All kidding aside, except right near the finish line that last quarter was in pitch black. As for emergency lights, do you really think they are going to invest in putting in emergency lights on the track?

Yes they should. A lot of revenue is on the line. If there had been a blackout before the first race just imagine how much money they would have lost just in one day.

A 100 KVA generator would set them back about $50K and should be quite sufficient for all kinds of emergency lights.