PDA

View Full Version : Trevor should join The Z Girl -- Retire Now

BeatTheChalk
11-06-2010, 09:54 PM
I have heard him call a million races - but his call in the Classic was ..
beyond .. even Trevor himself. Pardon me for wasting even this small
amount of Band Width. He should do the right thing and go into
retirement -- just like The Z girl.
Oh by the way .. it looked to me as if the horse simply could not
stand the track in the early part of the race. And finally whew
What IZ the difference between LAST AND dead last? Good Nite

Bubbles
11-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Every year, I feel like we have something to complain about with the announcing. Some years, like when Street Sense made his sweeping move up the rail and it went unmentioned, it's legit. I didn't hear most of TD's call (was at Saratoga Harness and it was PACKED), but what I heard sounded OK.

garyoz
11-06-2010, 10:03 PM
I was traveling by car today and listened to Breeders Cup Coverage on Down the Stretch on XM Radio. With no video I was completely dependent on the call for all the races, and I think TD did a great job. Incidently, Johnson and Findley had a great show. Next year (assuming I'm not traveling) I'm going to mute the audio on the TV and listen to their show for the broadcast.

delayjf
11-06-2010, 10:05 PM
I was wondering today when this topic would rear its head. This year I have no compliants, I'm sure others will disagree.

Jasonm921
11-06-2010, 10:08 PM
The problem with TD is that he is not TD (Tom Durkin). You will never get that speaker rattling (ie. 2001 Tiznow or 89 Sunday Silence) call. He'll get the job done but they are not epic.

thaskalos
11-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Anybody who is complaining about Trevor should go back and listen to Durkin's call from this year's Belmont Stakes.

jelly
11-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Trevor was oozing Z-itis It was embarrassing.

Jasonm921
11-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Anybody who is complaining about Trevor should go back and listen to Durkin's call from this year's Belmont Stakes.

Agreed..
That wasn't a great call but Trevor has called over 50 breeders cup races (the equivalent of 7 traditional BC cards) so far so let's see which ones stand out as epic? Durkins calls are legendary.

PaceAdvantage
11-06-2010, 10:20 PM
The problem with TD is that he is not TD (Tom Durkin). You will never get that speaker rattling (ie. 2001 Tiznow or 89 Sunday Silence) call. He'll get the job done but they are not epic.Trevor's voice definitely seems to get "lost" during these big, loud racing events. Is that reality or am I just a Durkin fan biased against Trevor?

Zman179
11-06-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm not a big Trevor fan, I guess that's just the East Coast bias in me.

With that being said, Trevor did a fabulous job with his call in the Classic. When he called Zenyatta's name three times, you can hear the crowd's roar going up a few decibels. When he dragged out Zenyatta's name in the final yards, you were at the edge of your seat hoping to...just...get...that nose up! And when you heard him call Blame's head win with obvious disappointment in his voice, the crowd at the same time sounded like they got hit in the stomach and lost their wind.

Absolutely wonderful call. I'd say that if they created a list of the 20 best race calls ever, this one would be in the bunch.

BTW, there is no difference between last and dead last, but the latter provides emphasis. As if people don't say, "Man, my team's dead last in the standings."

Jasonm921
11-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Trevor's voice definitely seems to get "lost" during these big, loud racing events. Is that reality or am I just a Durkin fan biased against Trevor?
Durkin is part of the race. Denman is the guy talking in the background.

PaceAdvantage
11-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Durkin is part of the race. Denman is the guy talking in the background.I stated the same thing years ago on here. The part about Durkin being an actual part of the race and not just an outside observer describing the action. Funny you should say that...I obviously agree 100%

RXB
11-06-2010, 10:26 PM
My recall is that he pretty much lost Blame from the 1/2 pole to the 1/8 pole. He kept calling Lookin At Lucky from the 1/4 pole to the 1/8 pole and then all of a sudden he realized, oops, Blame, who was right with LAL all the way.

thaskalos
11-06-2010, 10:30 PM
Agreed..
That wasn't a great call but Trevor has called over 50 breeders cup races (the equivalent of 7 traditional BC cards) so far so let's see which ones stand out as epic? Durkins calls are legendary.Jason, I agree with you. Durkin WAS a great race caller...but now, it is painful to listen to him.

The loyalty that he still commands from his fans is astounding. Look at your post above concerning his call in the Belmont. "That wasn't a great call"?? Are you kidding me? His call was atrocious...in more ways than one. But his fans always downplay his shortcomings...while going out of their way to trash Denman.

I'm not saying that Trevor is the best in the business...but he doesn't deserve the criticism he gets, IMO.

toussaud
11-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Trevor, doesn't add anything to the calls. he's just there. Travesty Tom D wasn't allowed to call this race.

cj
11-06-2010, 11:03 PM

DEPUTY!

cj
11-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Why is Trevor always shocked when she is last early?

Market Mover
11-06-2010, 11:28 PM
DEPUTY!

hahahahaha!! "Deputy" was astounding...

toussaud
11-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Tom Durkins bad calls are better than Trevor's good calls

thaskalos
11-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Have you heard his famous "deputy" call?

Jasonm921
11-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Durkin was just showing all of us how forgettable the 2010 Belmont winner will be.

banacek
11-07-2010, 09:28 AM
My 2 cents - I think Tom and Trevor are both past their prime. Having said that, I thought Trevor did a very good job yesterday.

Perhaps it is getting close to the time that we have a new announcer to call the big races.

thaskalos
11-07-2010, 09:40 AM
My 2 cents - I think Tom and Trevor are both past their prime. Having said that, I thought Trevor did a very good job yesterday.

Perhaps it is getting close to the time that we have a new announcer to call the big races.I agree with you...Trevor did a very good job yesterday.

That's why I am shocked at all the criticism this man gets...even when there is no reason for it.

Is he perfect? Of course not!

Would Durkin have done a better job yesterday? NO WAY!

Tread
11-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Durkin was good 10 years ago. Anyone comparing his present state with Trevor and saying they would prefer Durkin really needs to have his/her head examined. I like Trevor just fine, but mostly wish Luke K was still around.

Zman179
11-07-2010, 10:17 AM
I agree with you...Trevor did a very good job yesterday.

That's why I am shocked at all the criticism this man gets...even when there is no reason for it.

Is he perfect? Of course not!

Would Durkin have done a better job yesterday? NO WAY!

It's the good ol' East Coast/West Coast rivalry.

Sunday Silence vs. Easy Goer
Pincay vs. Cordero
Denman vs. Durkin
Zenyatta vs. Rachel

I think it's great for the game to have had such a strong rivalry for so many decades still going strong.

Trevor could have nailed every single horse, predicted every move and made zero mistakes...and people would nitpick anyway. That's part of the game, horseracing has plenty of complainers.

chickenhead
11-07-2010, 10:22 AM
I thought Trevors call in the Classic yesterday was absolutely terrible, and I usually like Trevor. Repeating Zenyattas name over and over in anticipation of her getting there is not exactly compelling stuff, relative to the excitement of what was actually happening on the track.

Forget Durkin in his prime, Vic would have done a much better job. He'd have blown his voice out for good, but it would have been a better call.

Trevors call takes away from the race rather than adds to it.

cj
11-07-2010, 10:27 AM
I thought Trevors call in the Classic yesterday was absolutely terrible, and I usually like Trevor. Repeating Zenyattas name over and over in anticipation of her getting there is not exactly compelling stuff, relative to the excitement of what was actually happening on the track.

Forget Durkin in his prime, Vic would have done a much better job. He'd have blown his voice out for good, but it would have been a better call.

I loved when he deemed the pace of the Turf fast after about 5 strides. They were crawling. Just call the action Trevor, we'll do the analysis.

Greyfox
11-07-2010, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=cj]I loved when he deemed the pace of the Turf fast after about 5 strides. QUOTE]

Five strides? I saw the race too. That is either complete hyperbole or just plain untrue.

All in all, Trevor did just fine.

cj
11-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Sure its hyperbole, like many of his calls. When did he say it then if it wasn't five strides?

Jasonm921
11-07-2010, 10:42 AM
They couldn't be moving any quicker :lol:

cj
11-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Sure its hyperbole, like many of his calls. When did he say it then if it wasn't five strides?

It was the first thing he said after giving his break call.

cj's dad
11-07-2010, 10:50 AM
When I switched over to ABC from TVG and lost Larry Collmus' race calls;

THAT WAS PAINFUL !

TD should hang it up; both of them.

johnhannibalsmith
11-07-2010, 10:52 AM
... Repeating Zenyattas name over and over in anticipation...

The last eighth of a mile was pretty comical... It sounded like he was totally unable to actually say anything as though the adrenaline got to him...

andymays
11-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Trevor isn't close to being the best race caller. He makes a ton of mistakes and has for years now.

banacek
11-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Trevor isn't close to being the best race caller. He makes a ton of mistakes and has for years now.

Agreed, and the same can be said about Tom "Deputy" Durkin. Time for some new blood.

jelly
11-07-2010, 11:37 AM

A little over kill you think?15 times! he mentions Zenyattas name.

BeatTheChalk
11-07-2010, 12:38 PM
My take on Trevor :
1. He told us 3 times that Z girl was dead last. But he did not say :
She usually runs last in the field .. or far back
2. We never got one word about whether Z girl was handling the
track .. since she normally does not run on the dirt.
3. And his stretch call was beyond belief. I know he loves the horse
but that was over the top.
4. And not a WORD about the Fractions ! Sigh Amen Good nite

Stevie Belmont
11-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Tom Durkin is the best. Too bad he could not have called this race somewhere for someone.

Denman is Denman. He did a good job. The world was watching Zenny and he yelled her name like just about everyone else. Could he have done something different, sure he could have. I thought he did a good job calling the winner. It was Blaaaaame!

Not the result he wanted, or for that matter most everyone else.

He did miss the incident at the top of the stretch in The Marathon.

Stevie Belmont
11-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Another thing. He is yelling about her being dead last. Like that was some kind of shocker. She is always way back there.

Tom Durkin is the best. Too bad he could not have called this race somewhere for someone.

Denman is Denman. He did a good job. The world was watching Zenny and he yelled her name like just about everyone else. Could he have done something different, sure he could have. I thought he did a good job calling the winner. It was Blaaaaame!

Not the result he wanted, or for that matter most everyone else.

He did miss the incident at the top of the stretch in The Marathon.

WJ47
11-07-2010, 01:34 PM
I think Trevor was just trying to give the crowd what it wanted ---non-stop Zenyatta chatter. I commented to my son after the race that I felt a little bad for Blame's connections. In the years to come, they'll show the video of their great horse to people and Blame's name was barely mentioned and his victory was announced with such disappointment in Trevor's voice. But what are you gonna do? That's how the world works. Zenyatta was the big story and she almost pulled off what many of us said would be impossible.

I had my big fat mouth open before the race, touting Blame and refusing to put Zenyatta in my exotics. I played all my exactas and trifectas with Quality Road, Haynesfield and Lookin at Lucky. I thought Zenyatta would end up 8th beaten by 15 lengths in a race against Blame. Before the race, I thought she was a good California mare, but afterwards, I think she may be the greatest race mare that ever lived. I was really, really impressed. And I'm still mad that the exacta paid so good and I didn't bet it! :bang:

I'm not big on rating announcers. I do have my favorites; I enjoy calls made by Durkin and Stauffer; those two announcers really get into it! And they both have great and powerful voices. But in my opinion, most announcers do a great job. Maybe because I know if I ever tried to announce even a three horse race, I'd get everything all screwed up! I don't know how they do it; I have alot of admiration for race callers.

Run Nicholas Run
11-07-2010, 02:01 PM
I have felt the same for many years about T. Denman
I dont like listening to him, I dont like the foreign callers at all
like denman, mike wronga, etc. Basically they suck.

Larry Collmus should be calling the Cup if not durkin or even maybe
Sam Mckee from the meadowlands.
Boomer Wry also would be entertaining.

Denman is so bad , I rather have Dave Johnson calling and he started
going down hill in the early 80's.

sandpit
11-07-2010, 02:14 PM
The best thing about being at the track both days was not hearing CD's regular track announcer even one time http://paceadvantage.com/forum/images/UBGX/I9.gif.

Zman179
11-07-2010, 03:12 PM
I think Trevor was just trying to give the crowd what it wanted ---non-stop Zenyatta chatter. I commented to my son after the race that I felt a little bad for Blame's connections. In the years to come, they'll show the video of their great horse to people and Blame's name was barely mentioned and his victory was announced with such disappointment in Trevor's voice.

Just about the whole crowd, and many of the people watching on TV, were rooting hard for Zenyatta. Take this quote from Bob Baffert after the race:

"I've never been involved in such a big race," said Baffert, a man who has trained three Kentucky Derby winners and two Dubai World Cup victors.

"I lost my voice yelling for Zenyatta," he said. "We were all yelling for Zenyatta. I'm sad that she lost because she wanted to win - she could have easily won the race.

"She was too far back - she probably thinks she's won," he added. "Blame is a really good horse who loves this track so you can't take anything away from him.

"But after the race I was watching Garrett Gomez trying to get the crowd to cheer but nobody would cheer!"

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/breeders-cup-lookin-at-lucky-classic-zenyatta-fails-to-catch-blame-in-thriller/786633/

I cannot recall ever seeing a Breeders Cup Classic champion returning to the winners circle in near silence.

cj
11-07-2010, 03:40 PM
I cannot recall ever seeing a Breeders Cup Classic champion returning to the winners circle in near silence.

Reminded me of Victory Gallop at the Belmont.

affirmedny
11-07-2010, 04:22 PM

Did you "make that up" :)

cj
11-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Did you "make that up" :)

I guess I did, but after watching the replay even my hyperbole wasn't far off...unless of course Pick6 is measuring.

Jasonm921
11-07-2010, 08:01 PM
A little over kill you think?15 times! he mentions Zenyattas name.

This was the last 1/8th of a mile....Zenyatta..Zenyatta...Zenyatta...Zen..Baala me. Great announcing. A five year old could have been more creative. Go through all of the Classics that Durkin has done and find one that was as badly called as this one. You will not find it. Denman had all year to play this out in his head and that is what he came up with...Vic please call Espn and tell them you want to call next years races.

v j stauffer
11-07-2010, 09:32 PM
This was the last 1/8th of a mile....Zenyatta..Zenyatta...Zenyatta...Zen..Baala me. Great announcing. A five year old could have been more creative. Go through all of the Classics that Durkin has done and find one that was as badly called as this one. You will not find it. Denman had all year to play this out in his head and that is what he came up with...Vic please call Espn and tell them you want to call next years races.

You'll have to call them for me. They wouldn't even let me call her at my own track. :bang:

banacek
11-07-2010, 09:46 PM
This was the last 1/8th of a mile....Zenyatta..Zenyatta...Zenyatta...Zen..Baala me. Great announcing..

Would you prefer "Zenyatta..Zenyatta...Zenyatta...Deputy!..Baalame."?;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Yes..Vic would be a good choice.

PaceAdvantage
11-08-2010, 03:09 AM
[QUOTE=cj]I loved when he deemed the pace of the Turf fast after about 5 strides. QUOTE]

Five strides? I saw the race too. That is either complete hyperbole or just plain untrue.Watch the race again. They were barely out of the gate when he made this inexplicable proclamation.

Stillriledup
11-08-2010, 10:04 AM
My recall is that he pretty much lost Blame from the 1/2 pole to the 1/8 pole. He kept calling Lookin At Lucky from the 1/4 pole to the 1/8 pole and then all of a sudden he realized, oops, Blame, who was right with LAL all the way.

Silly you, Blame's not a California horse, why would he bother to mention him? :lol:

Stillriledup
11-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Trevor probably realizes Z is always last, but by emphasizing her lastness, her win will be just that much more impressive should she pull it off.

Personally, i wish he would have just stopped calling the race in midstretch and just started rooting for Zenyatta. Instead of CALLING Z's name 3 or 4 times, he could have just put down the binocs and started yelling "cmon zenyatta, get up, get up, come on girl, keep coming."

That's what he did anyway, he should have just let it all hang out and not disguise that he was rooting big time for Z to get up.

igiveupregistering
11-08-2010, 10:41 AM
The best thing about being at the track both days was not hearing CD's regular track announcer even one time http://paceadvantage.com/forum/images/UBGX/I9.gif.

Now THAT is 100% accurate. Voice grates on my ears.

Also, the linesmaker for the BC was awful. Looked like threw the odds on the floor and picked them up in PP order. :lol:

Greyfox
11-08-2010, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE=Greyfox]Watch the race again. They were barely out of the gate when he made this inexplicable proclamation.

They were at least 8 seconds out of the gate.

PaceAdvantage
11-08-2010, 11:28 AM
How many seconds did the race take to run?

Then let's figure out if 8 seconds can qualify as barely out of the gate. I think it does. But let's argue some more about the really silly stuff.

Greyfox
11-08-2010, 11:30 AM
How many seconds did the race take to run?

Then let's figure out if 8 seconds can qualify as barely out of the gate. I think it does. But let's argue some more about the really silly stuff.

Let's figure out if 8 seconds = 5 strides, which was my original point about hyperbole.

Bruddah
11-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Durkin is part of the race. Denman is the guy talking in the background.

You described it perfectly. While watching it on TV, I found myself asking my usual question during a Denman race call. "What the f--k did he just say" He is just irritant chatter in the background.

cj
11-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Let's figure out if 8 seconds = 5 strides, which was my original point about hyperbole.

I already said it was. Hyperbole is often used to make a point. I don't think anyone, but you of course, took the 5 strides literally.

Bruddah
11-08-2010, 11:40 AM
When I switched over to ABC from TVG and lost Larry Collmus' race calls;

THAT WAS PAINFUL !

TD should hang it up; both of them.

Daddy'O I will give this post a a damn right Bruddah! :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
03-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Trevor reached an all time high today in the 9th race. The winner, Maragarita Shot never got a call. I dont think he called the horse one time until he hit the wire. Its a bizarre call. He's screaming about Kim's leading man but just never mentions the winner.

Odd.

big frank
03-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Trevor reached an all time high today in the 9th race. The winner, Maragarita Shot never got a call. I dont think he called the horse one time until he hit the wire. Its a bizarre call. He's screaming about Kim's leading man but just never mentions the winner.
Odd. I noticed that also... But give the man credit for calling the winner. It was tight and he stepped up and called the photo. There are some many callers that say ' It is to close to call ' ,,, in races that are won by a neck or more. Nobody calls the tight ones like Trevor

Stillriledup
03-06-2011, 08:22 PM
I noticed that also... But give the man credit for calling the winner. It was tight and he stepped up and called the photo. There are some many callers that say ' It is to close to call ' ,,, in races that are won by a neck or more. Nobody calls the tight ones like Trevor

Kudos, that was a good photo to call, no doubt. Especially after he was pretty much calling kims leading man the winner...he was almost trying to will that horse home like big z !

ronsmac
03-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Trevor's been so great for so long, that I'll forgive him for an occasional mistake. He revolutionized the role of track announcer in this country. Listen to any announcer in the 70's and early 80's and none gave the detail of a race like Trevor.

Stillriledup
09-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Bad day for Trevor.

TWO seperate races he said "we're down to these 2" and some other horse won.

Note to you: If Trevor says "We're down to two" and your horse is not one of those 2, don't give up hope.

Robert Fischer
09-01-2011, 10:52 PM
i don't get tracking these guys every word and then bringing up their mistakes online...

obviously i haven't read every post or most of them in this thread, so there may be some kind of debate that someone is saying that these guys are infallible, so others are posting a few errors to show that yes, these guys are humans who are calling the sport on the fly.

yes these guys are human...

I've found that when watching volumes of races, i will go through different moods, whether I want to hear the race-call or mute it. It's nice to hear the calls when you want to glance at a couple of runners of an old race, but don't want to memorise or go back-fort constantly to memorise a full field of runners and where they are as the race develops. - For example I'm watching the 1,3,7 and 9 throughout the race but it's nice to get names and lengths@call for others as we go through the race. That's about the extent of the race call for me.

Sometimes i want to have music playing, especially instrumentals (without vocals or singing) along with it to enjoy the tempo.

Tempo is something guys like Durkin and Denman really excel at! :ThmbUp:
Also have noticed that if these guys are "a step slow" early in a race and seem to be having difficulty reading the race development, i most often enjoy muting the race at that point. And when the announcer starts off with POETRY of motion, I tend to let him "ride out" the beat to the end of the race.
And when a Denman or a Durkin are really in a zone, it really is poetry!

I also archive some of the bigger races and there are times when a really great race call never gets old. Those are the times when I still enjoy the aesthetics of the race call.

Most of the time I choose not to listen, and the aesthetics of the race are plenty. In some ways when it becomes a job things like the race-call fade to simply a matter of utility while other things illuminate

elysiantraveller
09-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Or resurrecting a thread from 6 months ago with the header:

"Bad day for Trevor"

Only 178 of them between now and today... probably could have started a new thread. ;)

dnlgfnk
09-01-2011, 11:35 PM
I didn't even catch the call regarding Good Friday Girl since she was never far back, and as soon as Trevor indicted himself, he called her challenge on the rail. I did notice the call regarding HuntingtonHarbour when she was still 4 or 5 back midstretch, since I was interested in her chances, but Trevor smoothed it with her "coming from the clouds". This suggests to me that he invests some time in what to expect generally, as part of his preparation.

As for me, Trevor has a subtle enthusiasm according to the manner in which every race develops, has a continuous dialogue except to draw a breath, and most importantly, loves horses and racing, as I do.

I hope I will always spend the greatest portion of my post race reflections comparing my expectations of horse performance with actual results, rather than finding significance in an error or two by the caller.

grant miller
09-01-2011, 11:45 PM
What happened to race callers speaking AMERICAN! nothing mutes the sound at o.t.b. like fake accents (or real english eather) -CALL THE RACE IN AMERICAN =NEW FANS !!!!!!!

craigbraddick
09-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Grant:

Must be a diverse and friendly OTB you go too!

It's cool to have an accent. Even cooler to have an accent and call races.

Even cooler than that is I can watch racing all day and listen to lots of different accents and 95% of them are foreign to me! I love it.

Can you point to*one, just one study that indicates if we got rid of ALL accented callers we would get more new fans? In my 3 years calling part time, I have had hundreds of people up to watch a race with me, probably answered the same amount of emails and used my own time to meet people taking an interest in the game to encourage them further. Many of them were new and became fans*at Arapahoe, Sandy Downs and shortly, Zia Park.

Same for lots of US callers as well. I know many who do something similar. So, I am not really sure how you drew that conclusion but would be interested if you can show me the error of my ways in this matter.

I did once try to call a race with my WV accent (I live there when not calling) and quickly felt the hands of the GM slowly strangling life from me and told not to mock the Americans who pay my wages!

Craig.

craigbraddick
09-02-2011, 12:18 AM
i don't get tracking these guys every word and then bringing up their mistakes online...

obviously i haven't read every post or most of them in this thread, so there may be some kind of debate that someone is saying that these guys are infallible, so others are posting a few errors to show that yes, these guys are humans who are calling the sport on the fly.

yes these guys are human...

I've found that when watching volumes of races, i will go through different moods, whether I want to hear the race-call or mute it. It's nice to hear the calls when you want to glance at a couple of runners of an old race, but don't want to memorise or go back-fort constantly to memorise a full field of runners and where they are as the race develops. - For example I'm watching the 1,3,7 and 9 throughout the race but it's nice to get names and lengths@call for others as we go through the race. That's about the extent of the race call for me.

Sometimes i want to have music playing, especially instrumentals (without vocals or singing) along with it to enjoy the tempo.

Tempo is something guys like Durkin and Denman really excel at! :ThmbUp:
Also have noticed that if these guys are "a step slow" early in a race and seem to be having difficulty reading the race development, i most often enjoy muting the race at that point. And when the announcer starts off with POETRY of motion, I tend to let him "ride out" the beat to the end of the race.
And when a Denman or a Durkin are really in a zone, it really is poetry!

I also archive some of the bigger races and there are times when a really great race call never gets old. Those are the times when I still enjoy the aesthetics of the race call.

Most of the time I choose not to listen, and the aesthetics of the race are plenty. In some ways when it becomes a job things like the race-call fade to simply a matter of utility while other things illuminate

Great post, Robert. Something to read when preparing for the day!

Stillriledup
09-02-2011, 12:26 AM
Or resurrecting a thread from 6 months ago with the header:

"Bad day for Trevor"

Only 178 of them between now and today... probably could have started a new thread. ;)

Gee, my computer must be doing funny things....because when i responded to this thread, it wasnt locked and it didnt give me a message that said "sorry, thread too old" I was expecting that to happen but no, it let me respond. Weird how that worked.

Robert Fischer
09-02-2011, 12:36 AM
What happened to race callers speaking AMERICAN! nothing mutes the sound at o.t.b. like fake accents (or real english eather) -CALL THE RACE IN AMERICAN =NEW FANS !!!!!!!

Welcome to the board.:ThmbUp:
you might be a great guy with a lot to offer the board. I'll try not to judge your book by it's cover and jump the gun on the ignore feature.

Your statement came across a bit harsh and even a bit ignorant, but I believe everyone is entitled to free opinion in this great country we live in.
I have other friends who do not enjoy race callers with accents. Alson know some who are fascinated by the world turf game, and find it a to be a real treat to hear some of the racecallers from those backgrounds.

Personally I am fortunate to have no trouble hearing an accent, and some of the guys that I've noticed with "foreign" accents are really good at what they do. Some of them add a little spice to the broth... And there are some All-American racecallers who are really bad. It would be much different if I felt that the American guys were all better and that the fellows with an accent were just there for the accents!

Robert Fischer
09-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Gee, my computer must be doing funny things....because when i responded to this thread, it wasnt locked and it didnt give me a message that said "sorry, thread too old" I was expecting that to happen but no, it let me respond. Weird how that worked.

adulthood and personal responsability yadayadayada...

Stillriledup
09-02-2011, 12:52 AM
adulthood and personal responsability yadayadayada...

If people have problems with old threads being revived, they need to lobby to management to have those threads locked. If a thread isnt locked im going to assume its ok to respond to.

teddy
09-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Sorry old boy but sooner or later evan Jordon lost a step. I noticed recently he was slow to see things in the race, like a huge breakdown.Till 30 seconds later. Noticed it more than once. Into the breach is still my fav tag line of Durkens. Trevor has begun to embarass himself. I hate that for him. Either concentrate on the action or take a break from racing.

DigitalDownsJoe
09-02-2011, 11:35 AM
What would you guys consider the key elements do a good race call? Please give as much description as possible..For larger fields, for longer races(1/18th plus), for sprints..what do you want to hear..

thaskalos
09-02-2011, 11:57 AM
What would you guys consider the key elements do a good race call? Please give as much description as possible..For larger fields, for longer races(1/18th plus), for sprints..what do you want to hear..
Things like accuracy, diction, articulation, vocabulary and rhythm...along with reports on any "trouble" that the horses may be experiencing during the race.

Robert Fischer
09-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Trakus would be a huge help to Durkin.

Nobody can identify every horse that slips through every time.

Trakus automates the system, so all a guy like Durkin would have to do is check the screen, and he's got the horse identified.

Also works with Breakdowns... where occasionally a horse(s) at the back of the pack breaks down, a quick glance at the screen eliminates the extended pause regarding breakdowns.

Announcers seem to sound their worst when they have to pause to identify.

Some announcers attempt to "buy time" by repeating awkward cliche's over and over. "and up on the outside is uh... 'gaining ground'.... is uh 'gaining ground' is num-ber sev-en....teen gaining ground... "