PDA

View Full Version : Today I am proud to call myself a horse racing fan

toussaud
11-06-2010, 07:07 PM
I have to go watch the arky game but I will say this. Today is what racing is about. The anticipation. The quiet nervousness, the ready to get it on. This, not slots, not rebates, not synthetics, not drugs, not pushing the triple crown back.. this... running GREAT horses against other GREAT horses when it's on the line, is what is going to get horse racing back on the center stage.

They put on an absolute show today.

mannyberrios
11-06-2010, 07:20 PM
I have to go watch the arky game but I will say this. Today is what racing is about. The anticipation. The quiet nervousness, the ready to get it on. This, not slots, not rebates, not synthetics, not drugs, not pushing the triple crown back.. this... running GREAT horses against other GREAT horses when it's on the line, is what is going to get horse racing back on the center stage.

They put on an absolute show today.Yes sir!

Tom
11-06-2010, 07:29 PM
I thought a lot of horses looked like slugs this weekend.
Nothing early, nothing late - lots of piss poor performances.
I was not impressed with the BC overall at all.

Couple of bright spots, the two big Mares, the Turf, not much else.

pandy
11-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Wow Tom, you're jaded. I loved the BC. You just witnessed two of the greatest mares in history, a promising two year old (Uncle Mo), and let's be real, the BC Classic will go down in history as one of the most significant and exciting races of all time, and Zenyatta's effort will go down as one of the greatest efforts by a champ in defeat. And Blame will long be remembered as the ONLY HORSE THAT EVER BEAT Zenyatta. Blame has become immortal.

The_Knight_Sky
11-07-2010, 12:21 AM
.....and let's be real, the BC Classic will go down in history as one of the most significant and exciting races of all time, and Zenyatta's effort will go down as one of the greatest efforts by a champ in defeat.

They'll show this race they many times over.

We needed a new highlight clip to replace Personal Ensign
wearing down Winning Colors and Goodbye Halo. ;)

badcompany
11-07-2010, 12:28 AM
With all of horseracing's problems, one thing it does do very well is "The Big Event." Whether it's the Triple Crown Races, the Travers, or the BC, they rarely disappoint (Notable exception Tom:lol: ).

teddy
11-07-2010, 12:46 AM
Mike Smith said we would see something special. I think we did. Even in defeat. I was on the finish line for Personal Ensign.. it was the same exileration that day. Same setting.. Hopelessly beaten and the big mare flying in the middle of the track.

Tom
11-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Wow Tom, you're jaded. I loved the BC. You just witnessed two of the greatest mares in history, a promising two year old (Uncle Mo), and let's be real, the BC Classic will go down in history as one of the most significant and exciting races of all time, and Zenyatta's effort will go down as one of the greatest efforts by a champ in defeat. And Blame will long be remembered as the ONLY HORSE THAT EVER BEAT Zenyatta. Blame has become immortal.

I said the two mares were the bright spot. I just don't get excited or 2yos, especially when they beat nothing. After the two mares and the turf, I found the races pretty much a waste of time and horse not really anything to get excited about.

PhantomOnTour
11-07-2010, 01:29 AM
I said the two mares were the bright spot. I just don't get excited or 2yos, especially when they beat nothing. After the two mares and the turf, I found the races pretty much a waste of time and horse not really anything to get excited about.
Yo Tommy Malice....chill cuzz.

Your Brother In Beats,
BrownButterBabyBay

Tom
11-07-2010, 01:37 AM
BBBB is now my BFF!

Tommy Malice.....:lol:

Robert Goren
11-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Overall I thought it was a disaster. Only the races by the mares and couple of rides by Garrett Gomez were note worthy. It opened with a jockey fight. Then we had horses loaded in to the wrong stall. We had a sick horse take a lot of money because the trainer, the jockey and the vet refused to scratch her. I blame the track vet most for that. He is the one that suppose to look for the public. But there is plenty of blame to go around. One horse had to be put down. Then the tv coverage disappeared because a football game ran long. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Jasonm921
11-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Overall I thought it was a disaster. Only the races by the mares and couple of rides by Garrett Gomez were note worthy. It opened with a jockey fight. Then we had horses loaded in to the wrong stall. We had a sick horse take a lot of money because the trainer, the jockey and the vet refused to scratch her. I blame the track vet most for that. He is the one that suppose to look for the public. But there is plenty of blame to go around. One horse had to be put down. Then the tv coverage disappeared because a football game ran long. :bang: :bang: :bang:

ESPN is ESPN...Can't do anything with that until the contract is up. The horse being put down was a freak thing. The horse slipped on the turf. The jockey fight made the Saturday Cover of the NY Daily News. I was in the local Bagel Store and people (not horse fans..youcan always tell) were talking about it. Can't buy that press. The Life at Ten fiasco pissed me off. I keyed her in all my bets...pick 3's, doubles, win, exacta, triples, superfectas....so yeah I think she should have been scratched. Other than that...It was a pretty good two days. They have to tweak it though it seems that the order of the races need to be revised. They need the Distaff back on Saturday. Put the Dirt Mile on Friday.

I heared a few weeks back that the Racing Secretaries were meeting to see if they could agree on race dates....I hope they do. Also they have to write more races that are aimed for the specific BC races. I don't know any 5 furlong turf stakes races of any note.

The_Knight_Sky
11-09-2010, 10:12 AM
They need the Distaff back on Saturday. Put the Dirt Mile on Friday.

They need to go one card.

One Saturday evening. Primetime. NBC Sports. :ThmbUp:

Enough with the filler races.

Bruddah
11-09-2010, 11:01 AM
In my opinion, and this does not take away from Blame's win, he didn't beat her. Her come from behind running style and CD being a strange new surface for her, were the ultimate factors that caused her to just barely miss.

In the previous 19 races her critics said she had never faced the superior animals she would see in this Classic. Some said she wouldn't hit the board. Some said her numbers (Beyers etc.) clearly showed she couldn't compete.

I think this Classic showed she could compete at any level, against any competition.

I personally detest artificial surfaces for racing. She showed the surface made just a small difference in the outcome. Run this race 10 times and I believe her consistency shows she would win six. I don't believe any horse racing today (including Blame) could do any better.

Horse of the Year, I say hell yes. Maybe even horse of the decade. I know this, give me one of her babies and you all can kiss this old man's A$$. :lol:

Grits
11-09-2010, 01:54 PM
LOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Good last line, Bruddah!!!:lol:

nijinski
11-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Icon didn't work , but Thumbs Up on Bruddah's post.
LOL it did work , it was hidden.