PDA

View Full Version : CD Announcer....where is he?

Vinman
11-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Why is Larry Collmus handling the announcing on the non-BC races and not the regular CD track announcer?

cj
11-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

David-LV
11-06-2010, 12:40 PM
The people running The Breeders Cup pick the announcers.

_________
David-LV

Steve R
11-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Is your comment in praise of Denman, who called Shared Account "from out of nowhere" when she had been safely tucked on the rail never more than a couple or so lengths from the lead at any point in the F&M Turf? Or perhaps you are referring to his overstated misreading of Blind Luck's flat finishing move in the Ladies' Classic which wasn't going to get to the winner if they had run another quarter mile? Sometimes reputations are outlived.

Stillriledup
11-06-2010, 12:47 PM

Exactly. Im in heaven not having to listen to the trevor wannabe screamer. How this guy got the job over all the other candidates that CD interviewed is one of the most bizarre things i've seen in racing. This guy can't hold the announcing jock of some of the guy's he beat out. Go figure.

cj
Is your comment in praise of Denman, who called Shared Account "from out of nowhere" when she had been safely tucked on the rail never more than a couple or so lengths from the lead at any point in the F&M Turf?

No, my friend Larry Collmus. The thread wasn't asking about Denman.

PaceAdvantage
Is your comment in praise of Denman, who called Shared Account "from out of nowhere" when she had been safely tucked on the rail never more than a couple or so lengths from the lead at any point in the F&M Turf?I noticed that one myself. He also called R Heat Lightning "R Lightning Heat"...

Valuist
11-06-2010, 12:50 PM
I wonder why Durkin doesn't do it anymore. Trevor really can grate on one's ears.

I understand the fact the BC determines who calls it; nothing against Collmus but the first three races are NOT Breeders Cup races......if I was Mark Johnston, I'd be saying WTF??

Nets
11-06-2010, 01:20 PM
No, my friend Larry Collmus. The thread wasn't asking about Denman.

Should we read anything from this CJ? (Hope,Hope)

cj
11-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Should we read anything from this CJ? (Hope,Hope)

He is the backup announcer. Does that mean anything in the future? Your guess is as good as mine.

Vinman
11-06-2010, 02:22 PM
As a Monmouth regular, I happen to like Larry's calls. I just thought it was a bit odd that the regular announcer at the host track was not the caller of the non-BC lead in races. Since Johnston was "annointed" as CD announcer following a multi announcer tryout, it is quite a feather in Larry's cap to get the nod to call the pre-BC races over him.

I'll bet that Larry's very entertaining stretch call between Mywifeknowseverything and Thewifedoesntknow this past summer, which made the rounds on the AM talk shows, only enhanced his stature.

Maybe the BC felt they needed an "American sounding" announcer to offset Trevor.

Tom
11-06-2010, 02:37 PM
The regular announcer is doing voice-overs for slasher movies this week.

Gaelic Storm
11-06-2010, 03:54 PM
I noticed that one myself. He also called R Heat Lightning "R Lightning Heat"...
Durkin stuck with NBC so he can call the Derby.

The Hawk
11-06-2010, 11:44 PM
I wonder why Durkin doesn't do it anymore.

Because he's awful. He used to be great. He's now awful. Like Dave Johnson, only Durkin was much better in his prime than Johnson was.

Market Mover
11-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Is your comment in praise of Denman, who called Shared Account "from out of nowhere" when she had been safely tucked on the rail never more than a couple or so lengths from the lead at any point in the F&M Turf? Or perhaps you are referring to his overstated misreading of Blind Luck's flat finishing move in the Ladies' Classic which wasn't going to get to the winner if they had run another quarter mile? Sometimes reputations are outlived.

Or Trevor's failure to acknowledge Gio Ponti following Goldikova's move and still reserved as they stormed down the stretch, when Ramon realized Goldikova had gotten first run and nevertheless displayed one large swinging crack of the whip that's so patented Ramon D.

Market Mover
11-06-2010, 11:53 PM
As a Monmouth regular, I happen to like Larry's calls. I just thought it was a bit odd that the regular announcer at the host track was not the caller of the non-BC lead in races. Since Johnston was "annointed" as CD announcer following a multi announcer tryout, it is quite a feather in Larry's cap to get the nod to call the pre-BC races over him.

I'll bet that Larry's very entertaining stretch call between Mywifeknowseverything and Thewifedoesntknow this past summer, which made the rounds on the AM talk shows, only enhanced his stature.

Maybe the BC felt they needed an "American sounding" announcer to offset Trevor.

Larry did a great job covering Big Brown's runs at Monmouth. He will most likely succeed Trevor in the future, should the BC decide to make a move on announcers.