PDA

View Full Version : Best Race you've ever seen in person?

Zippy Chippy
11-06-2010, 10:44 AM
I was lucky enough to be at the Preakness and Woodward last year. 2 gems by Rachel Alexandra. Still not sure which race was better. They were both awesome, dramatic races. Both gave me chills/goosebumps and reminds you why you love the game so much.

badcompany
11-06-2010, 10:57 AM
I was at the Rachel - Woodward race too. Not only was it the most exciting horse race I've ever seen, live, it was the most exciting sporting event I've ever seen live.

I'm a guy who can bet three harness tracks simultaneously, but that one Rachel race left me emotionally spent (but not so much so that I didn't make it to the harness track that night).

Zippy Chippy
11-06-2010, 11:02 AM
I was at the Rachel - Woodward race too. Not only was it the most exciting horse race I've ever seen, live, it was the most exciting sporting event I've ever seen live.

I'm a guy who can bet three harness tracks simultaneously, but that one Rachel race left me emotionally spent (but not so much so that I didn't make it to the harness track that night).

My girlfriend and I brought her brother and his wife, after the race we were in tears. It was so emotional and such a great race. They were looking at us like we were weirdos that we could be so emotional. Some people just don't understand what horse racing does to you. ON a side note we were in the section where the picnic tables are. When they walked them through there it was one of the most incredible things, as Rachel walked by she got a standing ovation, and chanting her name and as she walked you could hear the applause going down the line. It was something to see. Definitely incredibly emotional.

Then such a great call by Durkin, "RACHEL WON!!"

Grits
11-06-2010, 11:02 AM

Bad, you'd fit in well with us "denegrate tent crowd". Saratoga all day, followed by Saratoga harness at night.:lol:

Bruddah
11-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Smarty Jones win in the Arkansas Derby. When Smarty found another gear and looked like he could fly, I turned to my brother and said, "that horse will win the Triple Crown this year". Close, very close.

turfnsport
11-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Easy Goer & Sunday Silence in the Preakness and Belmont

Rico8812
11-06-2010, 11:16 AM
I went through an 8 year stretch where I saw every stakes race at Saratoga in person. 2009 Woodward was the best hands down.

Also the best sporting event moment i've ever seen in person and i've seen quite a lot.

badcompany
11-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Bad, you'd fit in well with us "denegrate tent crowd". Saratoga all day, followed by Saratoga harness at night.:lol:

I stopped by the PA tent in 2009 and did see some of the same guys at at the racino that night. Like me, they should be ashamed of themselves.:lol:

affirmedny
11-06-2010, 11:22 AM
1)Easy Goer/Sunday Silence BC

2)Onion/Secretariat Whitney

3)Runaway Groom beating Conquistador Cielo in the Travers

sjk
11-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Personal Ensign in the Breeder's Cup.

PaceAdvantage
11-06-2010, 12:39 PM
In person?

No doubt Holy Bull's Woodward at Belmont. Chills like I've never had before when that crowd started to roar as he turned for home. It was awesome.

GaryG
11-06-2010, 12:41 PM
John Henry/The Bart Arlington Million.

Cratos
11-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Dr. Fager’s 1968 Vosburgh and Secretariat’s 1973 Belmont; these two races set the standard for dominance that might never be achieved again.

Java Gold@TFT
11-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Pure electric atmosphere: 2009 Woodward. After 35 years at Saratoga I can't remember a buzz like that.

Awe inspiring race: Arazi's BC Juvenile

Historical stanpoint: Secretariat/Onion Whitney or John Henry's last start at the Meadowlands.

phattty
11-06-2010, 02:49 PM
dr fager's jersey derby...what dominance, fell in love him that day and still the best imho...

too bad he was dq'ed, but good for me as i wagered on the 9/2 in reality

delayjf
11-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Easy Goer & Sunday Silence in the Preakness

I was there as well.

tucker6
11-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Dr. Fager’s 1968 Vosburgh and Secretariat’s 1973 Belmont; these two races set the standard for dominance that might never be achieved again.You're a lucky man to have seen those two races in person.

Overlay
11-06-2010, 04:11 PM
1976 Marlboro (Forego (carrying 137 pounds) running down Honest Pleasure)

Ocala Mike
11-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Easy: 1973 Belmont starring Secretariat. My wife scored the exacta with Twice a Prince, while I tore up my ticket with My Gallant in the place hole. Fortunately, we kept a winning uncashed $2 win ticket on him which is in the "vault" for my grandson some day.

Ocala Mike

Bettowin
11-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Zenyatta's last race:(

appistappis
11-08-2010, 03:46 AM
secretariat's last race at woodbine.....when he turned for home in the semi darkness and cold evening air he looked like something you would never see again.....and i never have.

Stillriledup
01-13-2011, 05:08 AM
1) Easy Goer in the BC Classic vs SS.

2) Cigar in the BCC at Belmont in the Slop

3) Dehere in the 1993 Saratoga Special *see youtube link below*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0at6tTgEvNc

gm10
01-13-2011, 06:02 AM
Zenyatta in the Classic 2009
Ouija Board in the Nassau at Goodwood
Goldikova in the Jacques Le Marois at Deauville

lamboguy
01-13-2011, 06:31 AM
my favorite race that i was present for was 1982 belmont stakes with conquistedor cielo taking gato del sol to the cleaners. it wasn't such a great race, but the horse paid $10 to win and that is what made it my favorite. that was my biggest score in horseracing to date, and the way i play now i would guess it will remain that way.

Zman179
01-13-2011, 06:46 AM
The Hambletonian when Park Avenue Joe and Probe dead-heated in a race-off. You just don't see dead heats in match races, let alone one for half a million dollars.

Let's Roll
01-13-2011, 07:55 AM
I was at Santa Anita in 1991 to see Kostroma set a world record for 1 1/8 on the turf, Denman's call was fantastic.
I also saw Cigars BCC at Belmont, I have never seen a horse accelerate in the stretch like that.

Linny
01-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Forego's Marlboro Cup in 76 when he just nipped Honest Pleasure while charging down the outside of the track.

Java Gold's Travers. The race was great because everyone that should have been there was there. The anticipation all day was very high level.

I think it was the Saratoga Special that Summer Squall won by squeezing through a spot that wasn't there. Afterward everyone was sure we'd seen a monster in the making.

The Test with Carson Hollow and You was very exciting.

For drama the Woodward last year was great. The noise and excitement of the crowd was similar to Smarty Jones' Belmont but in the Woodward the crowd went home happy.

onefast99
01-13-2011, 09:04 AM
D'wild Ride in the 2009 Regret on Haskell Day. Lambo was there with us rooting her home.

keithw84
01-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Keep in mind I've only been around a couple years. Mine would probably have to be Eskendereya's dominating performance in the Fountain of Youth. The 2009 Derby would be up there, too - mostly because a friend had bet on Mine That Bird despite my pleas not to!

Bobzilla
01-13-2011, 09:26 AM
1994 BC Juvenile Fillies w/ stablemates Flanders and Serena's Song battling for a good part of the stretch.

1998 BCC because of the strength of field composition.

1991 BC Juvenile because of the dominance of Arazi's performance.

1997 BCC because of Skip Away's dominance.

The 1991 and 1998 Belmonts stick out because of the exciting finishes.

Robert Goren
01-13-2011, 09:42 AM
It was 2 yo 10k claimer at Aksarben in the summer of 1968. The winner lead all the way at 140-1. I had $5 on him.

DJofSD
01-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Two races: Marshall Law winning the SAH and Cigar losing the PC. Both still very memorable.

misscashalot
01-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Best hand ride youll ever see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWeWHgHivWk&feature=related.

Ocala Mike
01-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Tie: Ridan/Jaipur in Travers at Saratoga (1962?)/1973 Belmont Stakes (Secretariat).

Ocala Mike

Rapid Grey
01-13-2011, 10:45 AM
At the Red Mile in Lexington, sometime early 90's I think. Two pacers in a stake race hit the quarter pole nose to nose and raced that way to the wire to dead heat for the win and set, at that time, a world record for a mile. One of the horses was Laag, can't remember the other.

Bruddah
01-13-2011, 11:06 AM
The 1999 Southwest Hcp. at Oaklawn. Early season race for prospective 3 yo's. I had a trainer friend who had a 3yo by Little E. Tee (Derby winner) He told me he was certain this colt was primed and ready to run and win.

I took my younger brother and his 15 yo son with me to Oaklawn that day. Neither of whom had been to the races prior. Told them about the horse Jim'sMrTee. (my friend John Milliron was the trainer) I went to bet with about 8 minutes to go and the horse was 27-1. I bet $500 to win and place. Needless to say, I was hoping the horse would have been respected at the windows a little more. Came back to the fence at the finish line and watched Jim'sMrTee win by 3/4 lgth. I was really excited and said "I can't believe my 27-1 longshot just won". My young nephew said, "Uncle John" that horse was 52-1". Sure enough, the horse's odds had gone up dramatically in the final minutes. If I had noticed that, I don't think I would ever made the bet. The horse paid $106 to win and 33.20 to place (never understood the place price)

Needless to say, my brother and nephew have been race fans ever since that race. :ThmbUp:

DJofSD
01-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Ya, baby, Lil'ET -- wish I could have been there for that one!

Phantombridgejumpe
01-13-2011, 11:42 AM
For the T-Breds probably Bet Twice beating Alysheba and Lost Code in the Haskell at Monmouth.

I was at the harness dead heat mentioned earlier in a match race.

I was not at the Laag harness race mentioned above, but I was at his 2nd place finish in the Meadowlands pace to Frugal Gourmet. I had the cold exacta which was nice because the heavy favorite, Jate Lobell, ran out. There was even an article the following week in Sports Illustrated (yes for a harness race) called Hey Jate, Why so Late? (Jate Lobell was stuck in route 3 traffic taking in car fumes for an hour, d'oh).

I was at a number of Niatross and Nihilator races, but I also was at Abercrombie equally the world record at 1:53 flat. Now in the summer 100 horses go under 1:53, but it was something then.

Oh, throw in Cam Fella beating It's Fritz at the Meadowlands. I was young, but I realized how hard it would be to win at horse racing when both horses were 3-5 and it was not a match race. I think I said something like, "Hey dad, they seem to be taking a lot off the top if both horses are less than even-money"

Track Phantom
01-13-2011, 11:43 AM
There aren't many who would remember or know about this but....mine was the 1988 Chaucer Cup at Canterbury Downs. I was a Minnesota kid and my selections weren't exactly vast.

However, this race had a 14 horse field with 30+ time winner Who Doctor Who, still the best sprinter I've ever seen. He dueled head to head with California shipper, Don's Irish Melody. "The Doctor" lost by a nose in what was then 1/5 off the world record of 1:14.1 for 6 1/2 furlongs. (In those days, sub 1:15 times for 6 1/2 were extremely rare. Now, $2500 claimers at Yavapai run it faster).

In any event, that was such a dramatic race. I know that Todd Schrupp lists it as his favorite race of all time.

firstoffclaim
01-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Without question the Real Quiet/Victory Gallop Belmont, the atmosphere was incredible wating for the photo

joanied
01-13-2011, 12:56 PM
I have to go way back for my greatest race seen in person...and there are a lot of them, but two that stay with me are the Suburban H'cap where Foolish Pleasure beat Forego...I adored Forego (who didn't!!)...but Foolish Pleasure was special to me back then (and later in life, would be special again when we 'met up' after 20 years) and I lost my voice screaming for the little colt to hang on...one of the great stretch drives ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktKGmsOX18w&feature=related

The other was Ruffian's CCAO...I was standing on the rail at the wire...we ran a filly in there, she finished 2nd to Ruffian, it was such a thrill yelling for our filly down the stretch:jump:

Market Mover
01-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Without question the Real Quiet/Victory Gallop Belmont, the atmosphere was incredible wating for the photo

I was there. The silence after they crossed the wire was deafening, as was the initial roar when they hit the head of the stretch and Kent D opened up on RQ.

To this day, I don't know if I'd question the ride. I usually question the ride on Kent D., but then again when he brought Unrivaled Belle home in this past year's BC Ladies Classic with a bone-chilling, patient ride, I flashbacked to 12 years ago and wished he had just waited one stride more to ask RQ.

It was sad to see those pins Belmont was handing out of "The Fish" being tossed on the floor after the results of the photo came up. I grabbed some programs to keep as souvenirs, but there were pins littered across the grandstand. The Fish didn't deserve that. He tried. But the TC gods said no...

RIP The Fish

tubesockshakur
01-13-2011, 03:51 PM
1988 santa anita big cap........the loudest crowd was at belmont when smart got
beat. plus it looked like woodstock trying to get outta there.

thaskalos
01-13-2011, 04:08 PM
The 1981 Hawthorne Derby, when our local star Jeremy Jet won the race at odds of 10-1.

It proved to me that the game could be beaten through careful analysis...and this race remains as vivid in my memory as if it was run yesterday.

30 years...where has the time gone...? :)

redshift1
01-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Albatross at Hollywood Park 1972 can't find a chart of the race but remember it well.

cj
01-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Silver Charm in the Preakness over Free House, Captain Bodgit and Touch Gold was great, but probably would have to go with the Bet Twice, Alysheba, Lost Code Haskell.

Vinman
01-13-2011, 05:03 PM
In addition to Rachel's Woodward, Real Quiet/Victory Gallop, (Durkin kiddingly wanted to pre-record the announcement of Real Quiet being DQ'd out of the Triple Crown, if needed, and slip out of the building)

Easy Goer/Sunday Silence in BC Classic at Gulfstream and last but not least, the epic 1987 Haskell duel with Bet Twice, Alysheba and Lost Code.

Vinman

joanied
01-13-2011, 05:07 PM
I was there. The silence after they crossed the wire was deafening, as was the initial roar when they hit the head of the stretch and Kent D opened up on RQ.

To this day, I don't know if I'd question the ride. I usually question the ride on Kent D., but then again when he brought Unrivaled Belle home in this past year's BC Ladies Classic with a bone-chilling, patient ride, I flashbacked to 12 years ago and wished he had just waited one stride more to ask RQ.

It was sad to see those pins Belmont was handing out of "The Fish" being tossed on the floor after the results of the photo came up. I grabbed some programs to keep as souvenirs, but there were pins littered across the grandstand. The Fish didn't deserve that. He tried. But the TC gods said no...

RIP The Fish

That was maybe the saddest, most frustrating race ever...to loose the TC by a 1/2 inch just made you sick...I wasn't there, but the effect was the same...
heartbreak:faint: I was so crazy about Real Quiet, he shoulda had it.
Then he goes and dies way before his time...made me cry to read of his passing.

R.I.P, Fish...every one loved you!!

PS... I wonder if it was as quiet in the grandstand that day as it was the day of the Match Race...that was bad.

MPRanger
01-13-2011, 06:18 PM
The greatest race I ever saw in person was in 2004 when Ghostzapper won the Breeders Cup Classic. I was standing five feet away from Frank Stronach when he was awarded the trophy. I only say trophy because I looked up some pics and I see him holding a trophy. I thought I remembered him receiving a plaque. Oh well, I guess I'm losing my edge.

Broad Brush
01-13-2011, 07:52 PM
I have to go way back for my greatest race seen in person...and there are a lot of them, but two that stay with me are the Suburban H'cap where Foolish Pleasure beat Forego...I adored Forego (who didn't!!)...but Foolish Pleasure was special to me back then (and later in life, would be special again when we 'met up' after 20 years) and I lost my voice screaming for the little colt to hang on...one of the great stretch drives ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktKGmsOX18w&feature=related

The other was Ruffian's CCAO...I was standing on the rail at the wire...we ran a filly in there, she finished 2nd to Ruffian, it was such a thrill yelling for our filly down the stretch:jump:

:)
Good choice Joanied. I'm always glad when someone mentions Foolish Pleasure.
I think he is a very underrated horse. I believe I read he ended up "pasture"
breeding mares in Wyoming. Is that where you met up with him??

joanied
01-13-2011, 09:05 PM
:)
Good choice Joanied. I'm always glad when someone mentions Foolish Pleasure.
I think he is a very underrated horse. I believe I read he ended up "pasture"
breeding mares in Wyoming. Is that where you met up with him??

I used to go visit him a lot after work was done at the barn at Belmont...and got out to the track as often as I could when he worked...
but, yes, he was about an hour's drive from me here in WY. (had to drive over the Big Horn Mtns.)...his last owners pretty much rescued him from a farm in CA. Folks were affraid of him and he was mistreated...once he got to the ranch in WY., he found out what it was like to be loved and cared for like the Champion he was...you are correct, he is very underrated.
It was a wonderful re union with him...I can tell you he was a very happy horse....and kind enough to be in with the foals.
It was Foolish that gave me the chance to make a dream come true and start my own breeding operation...'Foolish Dream Farm' :)

here he is on the ranch and his grave marker (buried on the ranch)

cj's dad
01-13-2011, 09:11 PM

Agree 100 %

showbet
01-13-2011, 10:05 PM
The inaugural Breeders' Cup Classic (1984) with Wild Again/Slew o' Gold/Gate Dancer.

GatetoWire
01-13-2011, 10:45 PM
At the Red Mile in Lexington, sometime early 90's I think. Two pacers in a stake race hit the quarter pole nose to nose and raced that way to the wire to dead heat for the win and set, at that time, a world record for a mile. One of the horses was Laag, can't remember the other.

The other horse was Jaguar Spur

Track Collector
01-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Easy Goer & Sunday Silence in the Preakness and Belmont

Me too for the Preakness.

Both horses opened up a lead on the rest of the field. Then they went toe to toe for just about the entire race. The crowd roared the entire way, and the inside structure felt like it was shaking. Sunday Silence won in a tight photo, then everyone had to wait when Easy Goer filed an objection.

Unfortunately for me, it was the only winning ticket I had all day.

PhantomOnTour
01-14-2011, 01:51 AM
Afleet Alex's Preakness win was the greatest race I saw in person. Thank goodness for lousy seats...we were way up the stretch and Scrappy T & Alex were practically facing us as they came together. The crowd gasped, then fell silent for a few moments, and then erupted as Rose & Alex righted themselves and charged home.
Unreal.

By the way, sitting near the top of the stretch is an interesting place to watch races. I would love to have a spot on the outside rail anywhere btw the 1/2m pole and 1/4m pole.

eastie
01-14-2011, 02:18 AM
when Waquoit beat Broad Brush in the Masscap was a heartstopper rfor us locals. Timely Writer winning the Hopeful for Dom Impressia when everyone who made the trek to the Spa from Boston made a Touchdown.

p.s. I do remember Wait a While running past me one day at Saratoga (TLG said she had "no shot" that day.lol.) faster than I had seen a hoss go by me.

Market Mover
01-14-2011, 02:19 AM
That was maybe the saddest, most frustrating race ever...to loose the TC by a 1/2 inch just made you sick...I wasn't there, but the effect was the same...
heartbreak:faint: I was so crazy about Real Quiet, he shoulda had it.
Then he goes and dies way before his time...made me cry to read of his passing.

R.I.P, Fish...every one loved you!!

PS... I wonder if it was as quiet in the grandstand that day as it was the day of the Match Race...that was bad.

It may not have been as silent as when Ruffian broke down, or Go For Wand went down, but I do remember just the incredible roar at Belmont that afternoon started to dissipate abruptly. There were people who were simply confused, looking around to see if anyone else had gotten a better view of the photo finish. I was right at the fence at the wire, and my best friend stood right behind me. His 6'2" height gave him a better view, yet HE was unsure. After Silver Charm's heartbreaker the year before, there were some diehard fans around us who simply wanted to be alive to witness a Triple Crown Winner.

When the number flashed up, there were gasps of disappointment mixed in with some cheers of obvious Victory Gallop supporters. I remember some fans throwing programs and The Fish pins in disgust. Some were crying.

ranchwest
01-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Two Super Derby's come to mind.

Alysheba over Candy's Gold. My largest wager ever on a single race.

Wise Times from 25 lengths off. There was a DH for place and the two exactas were my only exacta plays. It is pretty comforting to wait for a photo knowing you win no matter what. Wise Times always excelled on an off track and it rained 30 minutes before the race.

ranchwest
01-14-2011, 08:49 AM
The greatest race I ever saw in person was in 2004 when Ghostzapper won the Breeders Cup Classic. I was standing five feet away from Frank Stronach when he was awarded the trophy. I only say trophy because I looked up some pics and I see him holding a trophy. I thought I remembered him receiving a plaque. Oh well, I guess I'm losing my edge.

Interesting what a difference a half mile makes. I was at the middle of the turn and barely knew there was a finish line. One of the most miserable days I ever spent at the races. Took two hours to get to my car.

Broad Brush
01-14-2011, 06:54 PM
I used to go visit him a lot after work was done at the barn at Belmont...and got out to the track as often as I could when he worked...
but, yes, he was about an hour's drive from me here in WY. (had to drive over the Big Horn Mtns.)...his last owners pretty much rescued him from a farm in CA. Folks were affraid of him and he was mistreated...once he got to the ranch in WY., he found out what it was like to be loved and cared for like the Champion he was...you are correct, he is very underrated.
It was a wonderful re union with him...I can tell you he was a very happy horse....and kind enough to be in with the foals.
It was Foolish that gave me the chance to make a dream come true and start my own breeding operation...'Foolish Dream Farm' :)

here he is on the ranch and his grave marker (buried on the ranch)

Thanks so much for the update and pics!!!
Congrats on realizing your Dream too!!

joanied
01-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks so much for the update and pics!!!
Congrats on realizing your Dream too!!

I'm always happy to post stuff about Foolish Pleasure...
I retired my mares, so Foolish Dream Farm is no longer in business, but I had a great run and sold all my babies (some before they were born)...and got top $$ for them too...and it was all because of Foolish Pleasure...I miss that horse!

I see you joined here recently...welcome:)

mountainman
01-14-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm always happy to post stuff about Foolish Pleasure...
I retired my mares, so Foolish Dream Farm is no longer in business, but I had a great run and sold all my babies (some before they were born)...and got top $$ for them too...and it was all because of Foolish Pleasure...I miss that horse!

I see you joined here recently...welcome:)

I've always suspected he had Ruffian's number that fateful day she went down. I say this with no intent to diminish the great filly.

joanied
01-14-2011, 09:00 PM
I've always suspected he had Ruffian's number that fateful day she went down. I say this with no intent to diminish the great filly.

Just between you and me...I really believe Foolish would have had her...that little colt had more grit than most...she was incredible, but I agree with you, her first race against a colt, may very well have been her first defeat.

cj's dad
01-14-2011, 09:45 PM
1998 - Victory Gallop wins by a nose !!

point given
01-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Rags to Riches beats Curlin in the Belmont was amazing and the stands shook.

You beating Carson Hollow in the Test at Saratoga , thought it was a heater as You came up the rail to win by a whisker and costing me the P6 to boot.

turkey
01-17-2011, 09:54 AM
watch it on youtube......two horses of the year against each other...

horses721
01-17-2011, 03:26 PM
At the time I didn't realize I was watching greatness but I saw Zippy Chippy break the record for most consecutive defeats. It was like watching a race between a 72 Pinto and a field of Porsche's.