PDA

View Full Version : I'm off Quality Road

GARY Z
11-06-2010, 06:49 AM
After last night, and watching the L@10 debacle, I truly despise
this trainer and jock for their actions last night.

While I love this horse and still feel he has a great shot to upset Zen,
(despite his post), I'm off any Pletcher horse today.I'm not wishing any
harm to horse or Jock, just hoping that what comes around,goes around.

Yes, letting my heart overtake my brain and handicapping instincts,
but I'm happy L@10 didn't break down and hope she gets a new trainer or retires andbecomes a well respected Broodmare.

Robert Goren
11-06-2010, 08:13 AM
The only time I bet Pletcher is in Maiden races and non winners of 2. The few times I make an exception to that rule I tear up my ticket. I would not bet Quality Road with Bigmack's money.

TheGrandDesign
11-06-2010, 08:36 AM
After last night, and watching the L@10 debacle, I truly despise
this trainer and jock for their actions last night.

While I love this horse and still feel he has a great shot to upset Zen,
(despite his post), I'm off any Pletcher horse today.I'm not wishing any
harm to horse or Jock, just hoping that what comes around,goes around.

Yes, letting my heart overtake my brain and handicapping instincts,
but I'm happy L@10 didn't break down and hope she gets a new trainer or retires andbecomes a well respected Broodmare.
Wasnt he Lukas a assistant?If he was then that may explain it.Lukas raced horses like Union City,Capote,the list goes on and on that werent fit.

lamboguy
11-06-2010, 09:14 AM
i have no idea what happened yesterday. the racing game has safeguards that are in place at all times. the final say whether the horse should have been allowed to run was the state vet. he knew there was a problem and deemed the horse fine to race. this is supposed to overide a trainers or jockeys decision. often times the trainer is pressured to run the horse by the owner.

pletcher has a great record whether you like him or not. his operation is expensive and top notch. i have seen his operation, every horse has their own brush, when they are on the track 4 guys watch the horse at all times. the barn's all have great help and supervision. taking care of a horses needs is priority#1 in his operation.

i wish i could go to him, i just can't afford him, therefore i do my own work over the telephone and don't get as good a result as he does.

Valuist
11-06-2010, 09:51 AM
I think the key with Pletcher is you can bet him anytime EXCEPT the real BIG days. Breeders Cup day, Derby Day (yes, I know he won this year, but my God, how many attempts did it take?), Preakness day and Belmont day.

I wasn't crazy about Quality Road even before the Life at Ten debacle. The intangibles are all against him:

1) the inside part of the track was NOT the place to be yesterday (or according to some reports, the past 3 days).

2) he probably will not beat Espoir City out of the gate. And if he does, at what cost.

3) We know how he handled the big crowd last year in the Classic, throwing the tantrum before having to be scratched

4) Churchill is very much a "horse for course" track. He has no experience over it.

5) Pletcher was 3 for 66 in the BC before yesterday. He did win a race at a nice price with a 2YO. I always felt he was best with 2 and 3YOs anyways

6) Has Quality Road ever overcome trouble? If the BC was at Gulfstream and the distance was 1 1/8 miles, he'd probably win. It isn't, and he won't.

Charlie D
11-06-2010, 10:08 AM
7) Quality Road has been beaten by horses with the ability of Summer Bird and Blame and he is in against several with this ability today.

garyoz
11-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Everytime I cop an attitude about a trainer it costs me money and personally, I don't like to lose. I could probably cop an attitude about 90% of the trainers in the game if I thought about it.

classhandicapper
11-06-2010, 10:11 AM
1) the inside part of the track was NOT the place to be yesterday (or according to some reports, the past 3 days).

That's the way I have been playing it.

gm10
11-06-2010, 10:28 AM
That's the way I have been playing it.

Completely agree. The rail is dead. There is little chance of that changing today with Zenyatta going for nr 20.

slew101
11-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Watching the BC feed online, I had no idea what happened. I usually play against Pletcher, but started playing his turf juveniles the last couple years with some success, including Friday's winner with Gomez.

You have to remember despite his huge operation, he has to answer to his clients. They probably had a ton of people at the event, paying huge sums of money. The last thing the trainer wants is a scratch. No excuse if the horse isn't sound, but you have to realize he has to answer to his bosses.

We've seen trainers like Maker and Zito get upset with jockeys at the gate for pulling off horses for likely the same reason. They have clients in the stands.

Grits
11-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Completely agree. The rail is dead. There is little chance of that changing today with Zenyatta going for nr 20.

Yeah, there's a great chance that Churchill has this all set up for Z, denying all other entries a shot.:faint:

GM, dream on, honey, dream on for your "big mare." There's speed like she's never faced in this race, and she will have to be into it earlier, running her best ever. Remember that other gear . . . . . . Mike's gonna have to use it.

Good luck Z, I hope Haynesfiled, Quality Road, Looking At Lucky, and Fly Down, all make you reach down for it. I'll celebrate her, tremendously, if my other choice gets there first, I'll celebrate that one, as well.

DeanT
11-06-2010, 11:33 AM
QR is not in a mixed sale this month, so chances are he is not lame, imo. Welcome to the business of horse racing.

gm10
11-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Yeah, there's a great chance that Churchill has this all set up for Z, denying all other entries a shot.:faint:

GM, dream on, honey, dream on for your "big mare." There's speed like she's never faced in this race, and she will have to be into it earlier, running her best ever. Remember that other gear . . . . . . Mike's gonna have to use it.

Good luck Z, I hope Haynesfiled, Quality Road, Looking At Lucky, and Fly Down, all make you reach down for it. I'll celebrate her, tremendously, if my other choice gets there first, I'll celebrate that one, as well.

Don't be silly, none of this is set up 'for her'. It's just how it's been all week.

Charlie D
11-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Don't be silly, none of this is set up 'for her'. It's just CD in the fall. Before last time, I think the rail horses were something like 0/40 in BC dirt races. Can't remember the exact numbers, they are in Crushing The Cup.

Could that be because race dynamics in a lot of these races actually favoured other than early horses and those drawn wider.

gm10
11-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Could that be because race dynamics in a lot of these races actually favoured other than early horses.

what sort of dynamics do you have in mind?

classhandicapper
11-06-2010, 11:54 AM

To be honest, I'm not even 100% sure the rail is dead.

What I am sure is that saving ground is supposed to be an advantage and at a minimum it hasn't been. Over the last few days I would have no problem with any of my horses being 3-4 wide. Also, speed has not been that great either and that has objective data to back it up.

gm10
11-06-2010, 11:56 AM
To be honest, I'm not even 100% sure the rail is dead.

What I am sure is that saving ground is supposed to be an advantage and at a minimum it hasn't been. Over the last few days I would have no problem with any of my horses being 3-4 wide. Also, speed has not been that great either and that has objective data to back it up.

Well maybe not dead but definitely a few lengths slower.

Charlie D
11-06-2010, 11:57 AM
what sort of dynamics do you have in mind?

Race dynamics like how many of those in you sample actually were TRUE contenders in those races

gm10
11-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Race dynamics like how many of those in you sample actually were TRUE contenders in those races

Don't know or care tbh Charlie, I'm having trouble just going through the form before racing starts without trying to answer such questions!!! The ideal trip is off the rail, and you don't want to be leading too soon or be too far back once you're in the final turn - that's all I know.

The ride on Unrivaled Belle was the perfect ride!

AgainstAllOdds
11-06-2010, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't bet Quality Road with someone else's money. Gomez walked right away from a horse he felt unsound last week, and has not ridden for that trainer again. Valesquez should have done the same darned thing with Life At Ten yesterday...walked away and said he wouldn't ride.

That being said, I won't bet anything with the Looney Crazy Cajun riding it either. He made a damned fool of himself yesterday, and if anyone should have been hoping mad it should have been Garcia. I've never thought Borel was strung too tight anyway, but yesterday he about busted a blood vessel. Oh well, at least he doesn't have to worry about his teeth getting knocked out...someone already did that for him.

I'll still be betting Zenyatta, along with the 5 and 6 in an ex. I don't think she's showed her best, because she has never had too. I don't care if I'm wrong or not...I'm betting her anyway.

Charlie D
11-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Don't know or care tbh Charlie, I'm having trouble just going through the form before racing starts without trying to answer such questions!!!

If your having trouble it may be best for your bankroll if you just play on paper gm10 :)

The ideal trip is off the rail, and you don't want to be leading too soon or be too far back once you're in the final turn - that's all I know.

The race dynamics are not the same in each Match Up, so it is mistake to think there is an ideal trip imho.

gm10
11-06-2010, 12:42 PM
If your having trouble it may be best for your bankroll if you just play on paper gm10 :)

The race dynamics are not the same in each Match Up, so it is mistake to think there is an ideal trip imho.

of course they aren't is but it is a mistake to think you can come up with them before each race so let's just stick with general trends

Charlie D
11-06-2010, 12:47 PM
If there were general trends to racing GM10 it would be the easiest game in world to forecast and there would not be all the different opinions on who will win today.

gm10
11-06-2010, 01:02 PM
If there were general trends to racing GM10 it would be the easiest game in world to forecast and there would not be all the different opinions on who will win today.

yes Charlie it would be
but do you suggest ignoring them altogether?

Cratos
11-06-2010, 01:45 PM
PA, i am with you on Quality Road, but I think Looking At Lucky will finish second and Zenyatta will make her usual big move to finish third

rastajenk
11-06-2010, 04:09 PM
QR is 9-1 at the moment. That's gotta be tempting.

JustRalph
11-06-2010, 04:15 PM
I don't think Todd is going to mind...............

Tom
11-06-2010, 07:13 PM
You were right to get off him - I can't believe I was dumb enough to put a saver on him!

JustRalph
11-06-2010, 07:25 PM
You were right to get off him - I can't believe I was dumb enough to put a saver on him!

I put a few bucks on his nose too. But he stopped bad at the top of the lane

At the price, I had to play 4 of them. First time I have ever done that. Blame paid well enough to make it worth while.....it was fun to watch :ThmbUp:

I thought QR went wrong for a minute, a long year for him it seems

Tom
11-06-2010, 07:47 PM
I bet a couple, but not Blame.
I still would not bet him on the replay. :rolleyes:

bcgreg
11-06-2010, 08:43 PM
What in the world happened to Him (QR)?

bks
11-06-2010, 11:45 PM

For all that has been said about this horse, it is amazing that he has never faced a G1 route-race winner on dirt and beaten him. Haynesfield had not won a G1 route race when they met.

Market Mover
11-06-2010, 11:49 PM

There was a thread earlier where we had discussed extensively why QR was a complete throwout, based on the pace scenarios in this race. If anyone can bring that up, please post link here.

He was done before they hit the far turn.

Tom
11-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Was that Charlie D?

WJ47
11-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Has Quality Road's connections offered an explanation yet? I was just checking the complete results and he finished LAST?