PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here use skype ?

JustRalph
11-05-2010, 04:25 AM
With our without a Web Cam ?

Any tips ? Just downloaded Version 5. Just installed a Web Cam too.

Appreciate any tips and tricks

lsosa54
11-05-2010, 09:40 AM
I use a variant of version 4.2 to either video call with my son in college or sometimes just use the IM function if he's in the library or the video connection is not so hot (sometimes happens depending on the wifi connection).

Don't really have any tips and tricks for you as I really haven't played with it much as it just automatically does what I need. It recognized my laptop's webcam automatically and even though it's a crappy 0.3 mp cam, the video "as is" is fine for what I use it for. I can clearly see him, his dorm room, or wherever else he happens to be. I dial my son and once he's online, it connects pretty much instantly. Audio is pretty good without much delay. The other nice thing is it's free and helps conserve his cell phone voice minutes.

When I was in college, all we had was a shared rotary dial pay phone that I used once a week on Sundays to call home as it was pretty expensive.

plainolebill
11-05-2010, 08:20 PM
I use it a fair amount because my daughter and family are stationed in Rome, there is a little lag there but when we use it with friends in Cleveland it's like they were across the street. No real tips, it just works great.

I do keep some cash credits so I can call a land line, it's very cheap.

*I use it with my laptop so it has the built-in camera.

CBedo
11-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Like bill, I don't have any real tips except to just use it, lol.

I use it all the time, with and without video. Use it all the time to talk to family, who also have skype so calls are free. Use it for video conferencing, and now will be even better with group video chat.

I also use it when travelling internationally since the rates are cheaper than making calls in other ways.

JustRalph
11-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the info .......... I appreciate your responses. I think this product is finally starting to mature. I used to hear lots of bad things.......but not anymore. Thanks again..........

Canarsie
11-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I've been using it a long time and really never had a problem with the voice quality. In fact when cell phone cost was high I used Skype for 2 cents a minute and not a sole knew. Only was was the wacky caller ID number.

It's on my Droid use it to speak to someone in Norway and there is no quality drop off at all.

It's even one of the most reliable tools to transfer files much better then Google Talk.