PDA

View Full Version : The grading of stakes

Valuist
09-17-2003, 11:52 PM
I've got a novel idea for the powers that be that are in charge of grading the various stakes races in North America. Here's the idea: grade the stakes AFTER they've been run. How can you issue a grade when you don't know what kind of field will show up? How about a Grade 2 race for the turf that gets taken off the turf and scratches down to 5 mediocre main track entrants? Black type? OTOH, I've seen classified allowance races that were worthy of Grade 3 status and I've seen Grade 2s that have come up lighter than tough classified allowances. Seems like the whole process is ass-backwards and deceptive.

Observer
09-18-2003, 04:28 PM
You can't grade a race after it's been run ... trainers make decisions based in part by the grading on a race. Sure, some years any given race could come up weak in competition, but it's a race's history over the long run that makes them what they are, and that's why they review the grading of the races every year .. to see if any race is failing to keep its reputation .. then it will be downgraded.

Also, the guidelines have become most strict in the grading process that requires the purses to be at certain levels.

G3 needs to be at least $100,000
G2 needs to be at least $150,000
G1 needs to be at least $200,000

As for races that come off the turf .. they generally lose their graded status .. but the race in question will be reviewed by committee for an official decision.

Valuist
09-18-2003, 10:23 PM
I believe most owners and trainers make their decisions to run in a stakes race based on the purse, not the silly arbitrary rating the graded stakes committee came up with. Right now, Funny Cide's connections are looking at running in a Grade 3 (Indy Derby). It may be a Grade 3 but it has a $400,000 purse. Perfect Drift is passing up the BC Classic to run in the Gr 2 Haw Gold Cup. Sometimes you hear a trainer say they would like to get a filly or mare black-typed because it will enhance its value in the breeding shed but most of the time money talks, and those graded ratings walk.

Observer
09-18-2003, 11:02 PM
I said, "based in part" .. and if money talks .. Perfect Drift would be in the $4-MILLION Breeders' Cup Classic, and not the $500,000 Hawthorne Gold Cup.

As for Funny Cide's people, they need a race somewhere if they intend on making their goal, the G1 Cigar Mile. And Tagg has stated he wants to get a race restricted to 3-year-olds, which the Indiana Derby is .. meanwhile, they are toying with the idea of the G1 Kelso on turf against older horses as well.

Valuist
09-18-2003, 11:19 PM
Money does talk and with Perfect Drift it means almost being a lock to run 1st or 2nd in the Grade 2, or stand a good chance of being out of the money or getting a small share in the Gr 1 BC Classic.

Observer
09-18-2003, 11:50 PM
Here is the purse distribution for the $4-MILLION Breeders' Cup Classic.

First..........$2,080,000
Second........$800,000
Third............$480,000
Fourth..........$224,000
Fifth...............$80,000