PDA

View Full Version : What's the best thing about this game?

Stillriledup
11-04-2010, 04:05 PM
The best thing that i've seen in my many years around horses is that the moment a person selects a winning horse and has money on that horse to win, the winning pick transforms that person into a full fledged expert. You have to go to medical school or law school for YEARS in order to become an expert on medicine or the law, but one successful 2 dollar win bet can transform a novice horse fan into a total pro who's ready to quit his or her job and bet horses full time. No fancy college degree is necessary, pick a winner and you're automatically an expert.

I LOVE THIS GAME! :jump:

What do YOU think is the best thing about this game we call horse racing?

illinoisbred
11-04-2010, 04:11 PM
My doctor told me he's been practicing medicine for 26 years. Geez, you'd think it have it down by now.

Charlie D
11-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Best thing about horse racing is no matter how many experts there are, there are always overlays to be found.

JBmadera
11-04-2010, 04:24 PM
aside for just loving horses the best thing about this game is that you get to put your money where you mouth is

Cardus
11-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Internet Land chat rooms.

wonatthewire1
11-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Top of the stretch in turf races and horses moving for the lead; espcially like when there are a few 5 or 6 wide kicking it in at the same time

Overlay
11-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Best thing about horse racing is no matter how many experts there are, there are always overlays to be found.

What he said (and if not in straight bets, then in exotics). (Try finding any overlays in games of pure chance.)

Dave Schwartz
11-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Good question. I was just thinking about this the other day.

Last weekend I was in Hollywood FL for my 41st high school reunion. I met lots of great people that I have not seen in 40 years or more. There were a handful of guys who have made it big in the world. One guy took his step-father's electrical contracting firm public and made a gazillion, another earned his way as CEO in the health care industry.

There were lots of different stories. Being brought up in a very blue collar neighborhood, it is no surprise that we have a lot of working class guys. They retired from the power or phone company, a few became teachers, some still struggle with a job or a company.

It seemed to me that the ones who were most alive (aside from those with wealth) were the ones who were still struggling against life with companies or jobs.

But the common thread among many was boredom. They have no daily winning and losing; no excitement.

We players of horses are involved in a never-ending struggle for truth. There is excitement in our lives as we periodically go forth to do battle with each other, much as gladiators did in ancient Rome.

Ours is an intellectual battle to search for the proper application of some informational advantage.

What I like about the game more than anything else is the excitement and life it awakens in me.

Oh, and I like the money.

Dave

sandpit
11-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Watching horses, at no matter what level, that run just for the joy of it. I took care of a filly, who was graded stakes placed, that got so excited when you started getting her ready for a race; it was incredible how happy she was before and after.

JustRalph
11-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Learning it from my Dad.... was the best part.......and that memory gets better the older I get.......and every time I pick a nice one I think about how much he would have loved it.......... :ThmbUp:

KingChas
11-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Striking out one race....or day.
Hitting a Grand Slam the next race...or next day.
Each one starting anew.
The chance to have a lifetime changing experience is there,for some,
at any time.

To borrow an old phrase;
The joy of victory and the agony of defeat.

thaskalos
11-04-2010, 11:52 PM
The best thing about this game is that you can win only 2 bets out of 25...and still make a good profit for the day.

eastie
11-05-2010, 02:01 AM
The good vibes that run through the place on a big day, when it seems like everyone is winning.

cashing some 12-1 shot on whom you had a sneaky trip note, that Little Andy didn't blab all over the internet killing the price. :jump:

speculus
11-05-2010, 02:18 AM
it provides perfect occupation for people like me who abhor physical labor.

Better still, it rewards exceptionally well once you have a winning method and the patience and discipline to stick to it. :jump:

olddaddy
11-05-2010, 02:40 AM
The best part of this game is your sadness only lasts till your next bet.

pandy
11-05-2010, 08:42 AM
The best thing about this game is it keeps you mentally sharp. I have never met a senile horse player.

eastie
11-05-2010, 09:46 AM
there are plenty around, it shows more when they are not at the track though. I'm headed that way if I live long enough. I'm only at the delusional stage right now.

Tom
11-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Best thing about the game?
You can play it at home and not subject yourself to the tracks.

Stillriledup
11-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Best thing about the game?
You can play it at home and not subject yourself to the tracks.

Thats awesome! :ThmbUp:

CryingForTheHorses
11-05-2010, 03:28 PM
The greatest thing about this game from a trainers view.There is nothing more exciting to see a young horse making it to the races.Owners breeding these horses making trips every weekend on their breeze day to watch and get more excited after each breeze. Finally after months and countless dollars spent,The horse goes to the races.Every person knows the butterflies you get when your pumped up waiting.When they hear their horse name in a race thy get look and eyes are wide open.IF they get lucky and win,The whooping and hollering and then the tears is indescribable..The high fives and the "I told ya so" comments are great.They walk or drive back to the barn to see their winner.That to me is the most fulfilling part of this game along side what I have done with the horse

joanied
11-05-2010, 03:44 PM
I have to say, just about everything:ThmbUp: ...from my days at Belmont Park, through the eyes of a backside worker...walking into the barn at 5am, no sounds but horses nickering, the sounds of straw under their feet, the smell of hay, horses, leather...first rays of sunlight coming in the windows, quiet time un wrapping standing bandages, checking legs...then everyone arrives and the day begins...sets go out...

from the perspective of the races...the excitement, color, splendor of the horses as they jog past the stands before each race...the sound of the bell and the gates spring open...the sounds of each race, the characters that roam the Grandstand...

the great horses, the big race days, the breeding farm with broodmares full of personality, foals full of promise...

everything that is good about racing is good for the soul :)

tribecaagent
11-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Finding a colt off his maiden win, following him through the spring, and cashing a nice ticket with him winning the KY Derby.

Just the sight of Cigar, Rachel Alexandra, Zenyatta, and countless others...

Looking at the menu for the next two days and thinking "Man, this is gonna be great"

joanied
11-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Finding a colt off his maiden win, following him through the spring, and cashing a nice ticket with him winning the KY Derby.

Just the sight of Cigar, Rachel Alexandra, Zenyatta, and countless others...

Looking at the menu for the next two days and thinking "Man, this is gonna be great"

Like your reply:ThmbUp: ...how many other sports can produce emotions such as you get with watching great horses...over & over again...the thrill, the chill up your spine, tears in your eyes, no matter how many times you watch a great horse, a great race...your emotions take flight.

TheGrandDesign
11-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Like your reply:ThmbUp: ...how many other sports can produce emotions such as you get with watching great horses...over & over again...the thrill, the chill up your spine, tears in your eyes, no matter how many times you watch a great horse, a great race...your emotions take flight.
The best part about this game is US.No where can you find a cast of characters in any sport like ours with great stories!