PDA

View Full Version : Any regrets from the RA camp?

TheGrandDesign
11-03-2010, 07:51 PM
With BC Cup 72 hrs away,do you think RA's camp has regret retiring the filly without ever running a a BC race?

cj
11-03-2010, 07:55 PM
I doubt it. I'm pretty sure they are happy to win Horse of the Year with a 3yo filly.

BluegrassProf
11-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Not an ounce.

thaskalos
11-03-2010, 08:20 PM
With BC Cup 72 hrs away,do you think RA's camp has regret retiring the filly without ever running a a BC race?RA who...? :)

Saratoga_Mike
11-03-2010, 08:26 PM
With BC Cup 72 hrs away,do you think RA's camp has regret retiring the filly without ever running a a BC race?

Yeah, I regret that they didn't run her in the KY Derby instead of the Oaks. If only JJ had acquired her a month earlier!

Tom
11-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Sorry they didn't retire her after the Woodward?

JustRalph
11-03-2010, 09:27 PM
I doubt it. I'm pretty sure they are happy to win Horse of the Year with a 3yo filly.

I gotta agree here. Think we will ever see it again ?

This is one for the books I would think.

BluegrassProf
11-03-2010, 09:27 PM
RA who...? :)You should totally work your way onto the CHRB. You have the respect for the game and vision to fit right in there, I can tell! ;):ThmbUp:

Honestly, I know you're kidding, thask. Still, one can't help but have a whole boatload of pity for those that actually have this sort of short-sighted tunnelvision (and you KNOW they're out there, all joking aside). Such a shame.

How phenominally lucky we've been to see these two during such a short span of our lifetimes. Two different animals, each brilliant horses for the ages, each with their own respective unparalleled accomplishments, and the question of "superiority" absolutely unanswerable - for numerous reasons, each driven squarely into the ground - despite folks on both sides of the aisle feeling absolutely, positively, unequivocally convinced otherwise. Guilty as charged, though I like to think that I do, in fact, know better. ;)

It's particularly when I take a step back from the divisive discourse that I am reminded of just how great this game is, and how nicely these two fit into that grand story.

The fact is, five, ten, twenty years from now, folks will wax nostalgic about both RA and Zen, and all they watched them do. Yup, the debate will rage on, and that's fine. But make no mistake: history has saved perfectly prominent places for each of these athletes, and we got to see 'em run.

From where I sit, that's a pretty great thing.

Grits
11-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Its difficult to speak concerning Rachel. Its over. So, I let it go.

For Steve, who I never, ever dismiss, and his NY assistant, Toby Sheets, if the figures on my Bris sheets are any indicator--along with the fractions carved out in the Suburban where he was 2nd off the layoff, and his recent 4 length win at 1 1/4 in the JCGC which puts him, again Saturday, at 2nd off the layoff . . . . I'll take my chances.

FOR OUR SPORT, I HOPE SHE WINS, I DO. I'll be delighted!!! But if she tires, gets blocked, etc, etc, I hope Haynesfield is first at the wire. The one to upset her. He has the speed, the distance is not a question. Dominguez, always his rider, will know how much horse he has. Looking At Lucky, finally drawing outside with M.Garcia, too, second off the layoff. This one's middle name being "trouble, he's finally caught a break. He was in the 13 spot last year in the BCJ. The post doesn't bother me. How many of these has Baffert won? Finally, Zito's, Fly Down, doing exactly that, with LeParoux's patience. All three, for me, are significant possibilities.

At 6:45 pm Saturday, Mike, may well have to reach for that bottom we ain't seen yet; that other gear. . . . . "Z" better haul ass.

Nets
11-03-2010, 10:02 PM
You should totally work your way onto the CHRB. You have the respect for the game and vision to fit right in there, I can tell! ;):ThmbUp:

Honestly, I know you're kidding, thask. Still, one can't help but have a whole boatload of pity for those that actually have this sort of short-sighted tunnelvision (and you KNOW they're out there, all joking aside). Such a shame.

How phenominally lucky we've been to see these two during such a short span of our lifetimes. Two different animals, each brilliant horses for the ages, each with their own respective unparalleled accomplishments, and the question of "superiority" absolutely unanswerable - for numerous reasons, each driven squarely into the ground - despite folks on both sides of the aisle feeling absolutely, positively, unequivocally convinced otherwise. Guilty as charged, though I like to think that I do, in fact, know better. ;)

It's particularly when I take a step back from the divisive discourse that I am reminded of just how great this game is, and how nicely these two fit into that grand story.

The fact is, five, ten, twenty years from now, folks will wax nostalgic about both RA and Zen, and all they watched them do. Yup, the debate will rage on, and that's fine. But make no mistake: history has saved perfectly prominent places for each of these athletes, and we got to see 'em run.

From where I sit, that's a pretty great thing.

Wonderfully put. For me, I am trying to separate my feelings about some of the posters here from the horse(s) they are going on about. As you said, the last two years has been a pretty great thing.

Saratoga_Mike
11-03-2010, 10:29 PM

]

Why is it difficult for you to speak about RA? Personally, I like thinking and talking about her career. I wish she had run in the Derby.

chickenhead
11-03-2010, 10:32 PM
It's not RA so much, Grits just gets all hot and bothered any time she starts thinking about Asmussen.

thaskalos
11-03-2010, 11:05 PM
You should totally work your way onto the CHRB. You have the respect for the game and vision to fit right in there, I can tell! ;):ThmbUp:

You are still my favorite poster on this board, Professor...in spite of your repeated efforts to get me to change my mind. :)

And as usual - with the possible exception of the two sentences highlighted above - I agree with your every word.

Cardus
11-03-2010, 11:20 PM

For Steve, who I never, ever dismiss, and his NY assistant, Toby Sheets, if the figures on my Bris sheets are any indicator--along with the fractions carved out in the Suburban where he was 2nd off the layoff, and his recent 4 length win at 1 1/4 in the JCGC which puts him, again Saturday, at 2nd off the layoff . . . . I'll take my chances.

FOR OUR SPORT, I HOPE SHE WINS, I DO. I'll be delighted!!! But if she tires, gets blocked, etc, etc, I hope Haynesfield is first at the wire. The one to upset her. He has the speed, the distance is not a question. Dominguez, always his rider, will know how much horse he has. Looking At Lucky, finally drawing outside with M.Garcia, too, second off the layoff. This one's middle name being "trouble, he's finally caught a break. He was in the 13 spot last year in the BCJ. The post doesn't bother me. How many of these has Baffert won? Finally, Zito's, Fly Down, doing exactly that, with LeParoux's patience. All three, for me, are significant possibilities.

At 6:45 pm Saturday, Mike, may well have to reach for that bottom we ain't seen yet; that other gear. . . . . "Z" better haul ass.

We've seen "that bottom" on many occasions.

thaskalos
11-03-2010, 11:30 PM

From where I sit, that's a pretty great thing.Professor...I can't help but notice that whenever you refer to Zenyatta and Rachel in the same sentence, you always list Rachel's name first.

If the superiority question surrounding these two horses will forever remain "absolutely unanswerable"...why does Rachel deserve "top billing"? :)

DRIVEWAY
11-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Sorry they didn't retire her after the Woodward?

EXACTLY

Nikki1997
11-03-2010, 11:46 PM

I couldn't agreee more.

So have the 100 plus horses she ran against when they hit the wire .

They'll see it again in all its callipygian splendor Saturday .

You see what you want to see.

Even money DH chimes in here.

Happy trails to y'all---MIKKI

Grits
11-03-2010, 11:46 PM
It's not RA so much, Grits just gets all hot and bothered any time she starts thinking about Asmussen.

Chickie, you've got a fine, fine memory there, darlin'. I knew revealing my "thang" for Steve was gonna come back to me! That's ok, though, I can hang. If either of you guys looked like him, I'd feel the same way 'bout you! I would. I'm cool about Steve, though, just ask Ralph and Cjd. They know.:lol: But no, not this time . . . . . its not about "my boy, Steve." Of course, I could be so far off base--which we all are in this sport a pretty fair amount of the time, no doubt. I so rarely state who I like in a race, but this time I did. I would've put QR in the mix too, but I worry about his post position, down on the inside.

Saratoga Mike, I'll be completely honest with you. I don't talk about Rachel because I have a difficult time doing so. I almost can't because I miss her. I believe she's the most brilliant filly since Ruffian. So talented, and too, such a beautiful head, an exquisite racehorse. Her beauty was simply unreal.

From the second the gate flew open, she was the ultimate filly to me. She ran holes in the wind throughout her entire three year old season, and she kept on, not giving up, not at all as a four year old. Steve and Scott didn't give up either. Her owner gave up. And he did so for reasons of his own, reasons we'll not ever know.

She was here one day, and then, abruptly, she was gone.

I have been blessed to have been part of history," Asmussen said in the release. "We are all very fortunate that Rachel carried the banner following Curlin’s amazing success story. The fans adored her, we all did. She had the most fluid and beautiful stride of any horse I have ever seen. It’s been quite a ride."

In this, Mr.Jackson, in his twilight years of decision making, paid the greatest disservice possible to his champion HOTY, to Steve Asmussen, to Scott Blasi, and to all who loved her as you, myself, and so many others.

I'll never be able to debate the natural gift that was Rachel Alexandra--her speed and athleticism, her femininity, her record wins, her career. Until this post, Steve's quote, above, laid to rest, anything, I could ever say about this extraordinary racehorse. The memory of her, to watch her replays, to watch her run--so fast, to move at such a high rate of speed so effortlessly was something I'll never forget. Never. And I believe Steve Asmussen and Scott Blasi won't either.

This beautiful, restful piano cd playing here in my den is not helping me right now. :(

Saratoga Mike, I hope I've answered your question. I loved Rachel Alexandra--everything she was to me, and to thoroughbred racing.

Grits
11-03-2010, 11:54 PM

Cardus, babies have bottoms.

Zenyatta's got a caboose the size of the end of a 50 car Amtrack pulling into Grand Central!!!!!!!

And she'll be rollin' with it on Saturday.

FenceBored
11-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Professor...I can't help but notice that whenever you refer to Zenyatta and Rachel in the same sentence, you always list Rachel's name first.

If the superiority question surrounding these two horses will forever remain "absolutely unanswerable"...why does Rachel deserve "top billing"? :)

He does it alphabetically. "R" comes before "Z."

dccprez
11-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Professor...I can't help but notice that whenever you refer to Zenyatta and Rachel in the same sentence, you always list Rachel's name first.

THAT...

...Is too funny!

Especially when we all know that Jackson Bend is going to win the Classic.

cj's dad
11-04-2010, 09:36 AM

Thinking about him ???? You should have seen her in Hot Springs, Arkansas when we were having breakfast at the table next to him.

The damn butter on out table was melting !!

Grits
11-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Thinking about him ???? You should have seen her in Hot Springs, Arkansas when we were having breakfast at the table next to him.

The damn butter on out table was melting !!

LOLOLLLLLLLLLLLL But I didn't turn a hair, I didn't move to talk with him, interrupt him or any of that, you know I didn't! I barely looked his way, only stole a glance or two--he even looked good dirty--in a t-shirt, khakis and boots. My head didn't go face first into my eggs or any such silliness.:lol: Damn, I'm cool.

AFTER, he was done with his lunch, remember, he was eating lunch at 10:30 am while we were all eating breakfast--like normal people who don't get up at 4 a.m., I DID say, "good luck, today" as he was leaving; he smiled and said, "thank you." And yes, you're right, the butter had pooled badly by then.:lol:

Red Knave
11-04-2010, 10:08 AM
They'll see it again in all its callipygian splendor Saturday.
I admit I had to look that one up.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=callipygian

Charlie D
11-04-2010, 11:11 AM

Interesting comments regarding Haynesfield Grits.

Wonder what the ML maker saw in QR's PP that told him QR was a better EP type than Haynesfield.