PDA

View Full Version : Longing For Tom At The B.C.

samyn on the green
11-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Not the monkey that posts here but the racecaller. It would really be nice if Tom Durkin could call the Breeder's Cup again. His verbal brilliance really adds to the entertainment value of the races. Denman is a serviceable announcer with a nice repertoire of six interchangeable adjectives -sprouting wings, joined in at the 1/4 pole etc.- but Durkin is truly great. Especially on the big days Durkins prepares professionally with an infinite well of accolades and descriptions custom tailored to the race.

PhantomOnTour
11-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Could not agree more :ThmbUp:

Whaddaya think of a rotating announcer like they rotate the location? Home track announcer gets it. When the BC returns to New York is Trevor really gonna supplant Durkin?

samyn on the green
11-02-2010, 11:18 PM
They can rotate the announcers all they like as long as the all the announcers are named Durkin. He is the greatest announcer in all of sports. Could not agree more :ThmbUp:

Whaddaya think of a rotating announcer like they rotate the location? Home track announcer gets it.

beertapper
11-02-2010, 11:45 PM
it's all part of the changeover from NBC to ESPN...

when it changes again, it's up for grabs again..

thaskalos
11-02-2010, 11:57 PM
In my opinion, Tom Durkin has regressed to the point where it is painful to listen to him. Hearing him fumbling for words during the call of the race...and then elevating his voice to "booming" proportions nearing the wire - whether the race warrants it or not - is more than I can stand.

Give me Trevor Denman any day...

Tom
11-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Not the monkey that posts here

:(

KingChas
11-03-2010, 01:10 AM
Give me Trevor Denman any day...

Think you got your wish T.

Joe Tessitore will host with analysts Jerry Bailey and Randy Moss, while Kenny Mayne will work with handicapper Hank Goldberg. Nick Luck will be the European horse analyst and Jeannine Edwards, Jay Privman, and Caton Bredar (on horseback) will serve as reporters. Steve Cyphers will interview key personalities in the sport and Jeremy Schaap will report from the winner’s circle. Trevor Denman will call the races and reporter Bill Nack will contribute essays for the ESPN telecast.

ihatenyra
11-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Especially on the big days Durkins prepares professionally with an infinite well of accolades and descriptions custom tailored to the race.

His calls of the tc races and nationally televised one's have declined to the point where they are hard to listen to. I'm afraid to see how bad he'd be calling 14 of those in 2 days

Tread
11-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Durkin has made some inexcusably bad calls in some of the recent big races. I personally like Trevor, but understand he may not be the answer to suit everyone, but it is definitely time for someone other than Durkin to do it. He had a great career, but it is time for a change.

freehouse2002
11-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Both (Denman and Durkin) have regressed quite a bit in the last few years IMO, and this is from a Denman fan. I'd normally say that they should just let the regular track announcer call the races, but I don't like the guy they have at CD right now, so hopefully Denman is up for it this weekend. Let see how he handles the 5-week layoff:)

freehouse2002

DJofSD
11-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Hey, let's give Vic a shot at it. And if he can't then let's get Micheal Wrona.

Nets
11-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Hey, let's give Vic a shot at it. And if he can't then let's get Micheal Wrona.

Sharp post :D

johnhannibalsmith
11-03-2010, 03:08 PM
John Imbriale, anyone? Geez... I thought that was an easy one...