PDA

View Full Version : Breeders Cup has No Plans to return to Tracks with Synthetic Surfaces

andymays
11-02-2010, 03:31 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/02/2381060/breeders-cup-mulling-scheduling.html

Excerpt:

"If Delmar were to get through their state issues, licensing issues and make the necessary changes, they could be in it," Avioli said.

Though Avioli says there's really nothing off the table, the series has no plans to return to a track with synthetic surfaces. While the 2008 and 2009 events were catastrophe-free on the synthetic surface at Santa Anita, it also scared away some American trainers who aren't exactly fans of the mixture of sand and rubber.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/02/2381060/breeders-cup-mulling-scheduling.html#ixzz149eD1562

joanied
11-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Hey andy...:ThmbUp:

andymays
11-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Hey andy...:ThmbUp:

I'm laughing. :D

I sent the article to Del Mar. Hopefully this article will help them make a good decision and go back to dirt.

Tom
11-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Anything in California is as far away from the majority of racing fans as you can get. Bad location to promote the game. SA, every 8-10 year, but Delmar...NEVER!

Woodbine, I thought was a good place - great turf course.

Belmont, I can't like it there because of the one turn routes up to 35 miles. Some might like them, I don't. But they do have good turf, so maybe.

Aqueduct was ok.
Monmouth was good, I thought.
Hialeah?

Valuist
11-02-2010, 03:53 PM
How about Park X or Parx or Phillyparx?

I would love to see it at Hawthorne. I want to hear the NBC announcers talk about the majestic backdrop of smokestacks and factories and the beautiful pastoral setting.

Tom
11-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Ever been there?

KidCapper
11-02-2010, 03:55 PM
How about Fonner Park? First ever Breeders Cup on a bull ring? Would have to cancel turf racing due to no turf course though. :lol:

Mike_412
11-02-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm laughing. :D

I sent the article to Del Mar. Hopefully this article will help them make a good decision and go back to dirt.

Good job. Maybe if it gets drilled into their head enough, they'll realize the mistake known as synthetic surfaces.

gm10
11-02-2010, 04:01 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/02/2381060/breeders-cup-mulling-scheduling.html

Excerpt:

"If Delmar were to get through their state issues, licensing issues and make the necessary changes, they could be in it," Avioli said.

Though Avioli says there's really nothing off the table, the series has no plans to return to a track with synthetic surfaces. While the 2008 and 2009 events were catastrophe-free on the synthetic surface at Santa Anita, it also scared away some American trainers who aren't exactly fans of the mixture of sand and rubber.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/02/2381060/breeders-cup-mulling-scheduling.html#ixzz149eD1562

You really nailed the summary of the article :ThmbUp:

Valuist
11-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Ever been there?

Haw or Parx? Been to Hawthorne. Never been to Parx.

How about Pimlico? They can hold big crowds for Preakness day, they have a turf course & real dirt. What else is really needed?

OTM Al
11-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Haw or Parx? Been to Hawthorne. Never been to Parx.

How about Pimlico? They can hold big crowds for Preakness day, they have a turf course & real dirt. What else is really needed?

Can't run 1 1/4 mile on the dirt at Pimlico, so they need a longer chute....at the minimum.

GregReinhart
11-02-2010, 04:24 PM
I think Woodbine really had their hearts set on hosting it sometime later this decade after the Woodbine Live! project is done (hotel, entertainment area, retail space, etc.), but if this is the case, I guess it won't happen.

Stillriledup
11-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Lets not forget they were close to losing Zenyatta's services one day when John wasnt happy with the track. She was close to not running.

wisconsin
11-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Hawthorne could handle it. Seating for 15k plus SRO, and a huge apron, plus open space east of the plant around the 1/8th ploe and beyond where 25k temp seats could easily be erected. There is also a tunnel to the infield.

InsideThePylons-MW
11-02-2010, 04:46 PM
The Breeder's Cup decision makers are morons.

Just a few months ago they were talking about a long term deal with SA which had a synthetic at the time and no plans whatsoever to get rid of it.

So they went from long term deal on synthetic to no synthetic in a matter of months.......Dolts!

cj
11-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Can't run 1 1/4 mile on the dirt at Pimlico, so they need a longer chute....at the minimum.

They have run 1 1/4 miles at Pimlico in the past.

tribecaagent
11-02-2010, 05:00 PM
How about Hialeah?

cj
11-02-2010, 05:01 PM
How about Hialeah?

I'd prefer a course that can actually time turf races.

tribecaagent
11-02-2010, 05:15 PM
So I guess Saratoga is out

joanied
11-02-2010, 05:36 PM
The perfect place... Yellowstone Downs :lol:

Seriously, though...we'll have the BC at Churchill next year, so I'm not even going to think about where the next one will be...but I would not be surprised if they hold it at SA, they'd want to get back into the mix... I do beleive Belmont Park will win the date for 2012...but who knows. What they really need to do is get some 'new blood' into the BC membership club!!

jelly
11-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Churchill is the best,just about any other track is a BIG tax/takeout increase.

nearco
11-02-2010, 05:50 PM
BC should alternate between Woodbine and Belmont.

cj
11-02-2010, 05:55 PM
BC should alternate between Woodbine and Belmont.

Woodbine? Just say no to rubber.

nearco
11-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Woodbine? Just say no to rubber.

They could throw some dirt down in the parking lot for the dirt races. You gotta love that nice big turf course.

Robert Fischer
11-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Woodbine and Belmont are the 2 nice tracks that we have IMO

Robert Fischer
11-02-2010, 06:19 PM
^ ooPS opened multi-tabs n didn't remember this was a synthetic thread

woodbine is synthetic .didn't mean to be contrarian
probably my fav track and the turf races are tremendous. You actually h
ave a long enough stretch on their turf races.

their synthetic track is just mediocre. It's pretty good racing, but i prefer a bigger track than they use (it's inside the awesome turf course ... that's the tradeoff u get i guess) fair but smallish for my preferences.

I like synthetic racing as an alternative. Like it as an occasional BC destination. If there was only one track in north America I would want it to be dirt.

so sticking with the theme of the thread - BELMONT

Jeff P
11-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Churchill is the best,just about any other track is a BIG tax/takeout increase.
I'm no fan of Churchill because of what they practiced through Tracknet... and the way they continue to squeeze players by continuing the same anti-player policies (ever higher signal fees and $1 mil annual handle rebate threshhold) post Tracknet...

But I have to point out just how messed up Woodbine's treatment of Canadian customers unfortunate enough to have to play the Breeders Cup through HPI happens to be...

If you play this year's Breeders Cup through HPI you can expect Woodbine to charge you the full Woodbine takeout rate of 27% on trifectas vs. the 19% takeout rate on the same wager that everybody else pays.

That's right. If you bet this year's Breeders Cup through HPI and hit a tri, expect to be paid significantly less than if you had cashed the same bet live on track or through a US parimutuel ADW.

Anyone else besides me see how messed up that is?

-jp

Robert Fischer
11-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Anyone else besides me see how messed up that is?

thats ****ing robbery.

total disrespect to horseplayers.