PDA

View Full Version : Zenyatta may not retire after all

cpitt84
11-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Right from Mike Smith's mouth:

Are Zenyatta's owners going to retire her after the Breeder's Cup?

Mike Smith (2:40 PM)

It's a good possibility that it's going to happen. But they haven't said and I haven't asked. They said that they'd wait until after the race to make their minds up.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/35256/jockey-mike-smith

Depending on the outcome, I hope she comes back and races next year!!!

PhantomOnTour
11-01-2010, 05:57 PM
No way she runs again after the Classic, imo.

Market Mover
11-01-2010, 06:01 PM
No way she runs again after the Classic, imo.

If she wins this year's BC Classic, there is nothing left for her to do....

EXCEPT:)

1. Face GOLDIKOVA in a match race at Woodbine (so no international bias can be claimed) at a mile and a sixteenth on TURF (assuming Goldikova threepeats in her BC Mile race)

2. Face WORKFORCE in the DUBAI WORLD CUP on TAPETA next March (assuming Workforce dominates the BC Turf)

3. Face SO YOU THINK in the Arc De Triomphe next November (assuming So You Think dominates the Melbourne Cup tonight at Flemington...)

Please rate the chances of any of these scenarios happening, in your professional handicapping opinions, and give a BRIEF explanation why (or why absolutely not) they may occur...

Fire away...

thaskalos
11-01-2010, 06:07 PM
I would bet my "bottom" dollar that Zenyatta would be as proficient on the turf as she is on the synthetic surfaces.

Bullet Plane
11-01-2010, 06:16 PM
What I'd like to see her do, if she loses the Classic, is go to Dubai and take on the boys in the World Cup. I still can't understand why they didn't do that this year. I think she would have had an outstanding shot to win. Since that race is now on the poly.

cpitt84
11-01-2010, 06:18 PM
If she wins the BCC, I would really like her to race mostly against males next year. Start the year off with the females and then go on to win the triple crown!

will never happen but that would be my dream year for zenyatta!

Market Mover
11-01-2010, 06:20 PM
What I'd like to see her do, if she loses the Classic, is go to Dubai and take on the boys in the World Cup. I still can't understand why they didn't do that this year. I think she would have had an outstanding shot to win. Since that race is now on the poly.

Tapeta. Meydan has Tapeta, not poly. They are not the same synth.

PhantomOnTour
11-01-2010, 06:20 PM
If she wins the BCC, I would really like her to race mostly against males next year. Start the year off with the females and then go on to win the triple crown! will never happen but that would be my dream year for zenyatta!
A dream indeed....

Market Mover
11-01-2010, 06:21 PM
If she wins the BCC, I would really like her to race mostly against males next year. Start the year off with the females and then go on to win the triple crown!

will never happen but that would be my dream year for zenyatta!

She cannot compete in the Triple Crown races because she is not a 3 year old..

cpitt84
11-01-2010, 06:29 PM
She cannot compete in the Triple Crown races because she is not a 3 year old..

oh yeah...i always forget that part for some reason! :blush:

CryingForTheHorses
11-01-2010, 07:55 PM
It would be great if she could keep running as she is a joy to the fans and keeps them interested in this sport.Whatever they have planned for her I just hope she stays safe.She has been a joy to watch..She will go down in history as the greatest filly ever!

cpitt84
11-01-2010, 08:01 PM
It would be great if she could keep running as she is a joy to the fans and keeps them interested in this sport.Whatever they have planned for her I just hope she stays safe.She has been a joy to watch..She will go down in history as the greatest filly ever!

how about one of the all time greats? ;)

garyscpa
11-01-2010, 09:58 PM

I thought they turned into mares when they turned 5.

MNslappy
11-01-2010, 09:58 PM
facepalm.jpg

letswastemoney
11-01-2010, 10:05 PM

will never happen but that would be my dream year for zenyatta!This is why I can't trust 90% of Zenyatta fans...

ukbro00
11-01-2010, 10:29 PM
I think she's done after the Classic, no matter what happens...If she wins, she has nothing to prove. If she loses, they will just retire her before anything unfortunate happens

PaceAdvantage
11-01-2010, 10:49 PM
It's always a good thing when a top horse stays in training. I hope they keep her running for as long as she's able. This "nothing left to prove" stuff is nonsense.

ArlJim78
11-01-2010, 11:00 PM
If she wins or is close in the BCC, I'd like to see her go over to Dubai and run in the world cup. fat chance though with the ultra conservative handling by her connections. a shot at a fourpeat in the Lady's Secret would be more enticing to them.

cpitt84
11-02-2010, 01:47 AM
It's always a good thing when a top horse stays in training. I hope they keep her running for as long as she's able. This "nothing left to prove" stuff is nonsense.

I agree. It's certainly rare for a horse her age to still be at a peak but such a rarity fits zenyatta's style.

i dont think they want to let her go. They see what she is doing for racing and I am sure, if she wins, they will think about racing her again.

olddaddy
11-02-2010, 02:32 AM
If was her owner as long as she was fit, I would run her and make some money, then bet and lose the purse money and then run her again.

BluegrassProf
11-02-2010, 02:34 AM
If was her owner as long as she was fit, I would run her and make some money, then bet and lose the purse money and then run her again.Please report to KY. We could use about 30,000 of you.

tbwinner
11-02-2010, 03:02 AM
I think she definitely will be retired.

To prove to me she's a super horse, I want to see her close the way she does on the Hawthorne turf course.

depalma113
11-02-2010, 07:34 AM
If she wins the Classic, she will have won $9.4 million in career earnings. Maybe someone can point out to Moss that still means she is behind one of Jess Jackson's horses. That should be enough to keep her running for a few more races.

Shelby
11-02-2010, 07:57 AM
It's always a good thing when a top horse stays in training. I hope they keep her running for as long as she's able. This "nothing left to prove" stuff is nonsense.:ThmbUp:

Grits
11-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Please report to KY. We could use about 30,000 of you.

So true, BP, so true, so true!!!!!:lol:

Bruddah
11-02-2010, 09:13 AM
This is why I can't trust 90% of Zenyatta fans...

Let's not be too critical. We all start gaining knowledge at some point, someway, somehow. Even when some of us who have been around for awhile think, how did they not know? It's such basic information.

I hope Zenyatta brings in many more fans, all asking questions. The professor says he would like 30k more where he bets. ummmmm? Me too professor. :D

eastie
11-02-2010, 09:35 AM
I think she definitely will be retired.

To prove to me she's a super horse, I want to see her close the way she does on the Hawthorne turf course.

as if that would stop her. not only would she close, she would close with a rush and win going away. After the race she would bite you in the ass for doubting her abilities. Beating 19 fields in a row has already established that she is super.

cpitt84
11-02-2010, 02:47 PM
If she wins the Classic, she will have won $9.4 million in career earnings. Maybe someone can point out to Moss that still means she is behind one of Jess Jackson's horses. That should be enough to keep her running for a few more races.

haha, yes curlin made over 10million i believe. :)

gm10
11-02-2010, 03:24 PM
haha, yes curlin made over 10million i believe. :)

Now we know why RA was a no-show for the $5 million purse at Oaklawn!!

Tom
11-02-2010, 03:36 PM
If she wins, I think Dubai will be strongly considered.

thaskalos
11-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Now we know why RA was a no-show for the $5 million purse at Oaklawn!!Very astute observation! :ThmbUp:

cpitt84
11-02-2010, 04:22 PM
If she wins, I think Dubai will be strongly considered.

i hope so. I just dont want to see her retire if shes in top form!

andymays
11-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Zenyatta might not retire after the Breeders' Cup Classic

http://www.nypost.com/p/zenyatta_might_not_retire_after_4pc98Wmjdf7EZ21W6W DZlM

Excerpt:

"We're not certain," Moss said. "The options are open. We're taking it race by race. There are no plans (to breed her) after the Breeders' Cup. We'll see how she comes out of it, sit down, have a nice dinner and talk it over."

cpitt84
11-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Zenyatta might not retire after the Breeders' Cup Classic

http://www.nypost.com/p/zenyatta_might_not_retire_after_4pc98Wmjdf7EZ21W6W DZlM

Excerpt:

"We're not certain," Moss said. "The options are open. We're taking it race by race. There are no plans (to breed her) after the Breeders' Cup. We'll see how she comes out of it, sit down, have a nice dinner and talk it over."

woo hoo! although i will say its confusing because 99% of commentary keep writing and saying, "this will be her final start."

Like Mike said, i dont think any male deserves her!

JBmadera
11-02-2010, 06:52 PM
all this means to me is two things, if true: more liberal use of the ignore feature here at PA and cool that an older horse gets to keep racing.

too bad all the z-freaks feel the need to make honest discussion about handicapping impossible. again, z ain't curing cancer or feeding the hungry she's just running around in a circle for $$$ like every other 2.5k claimer at los al (only faster)

cpitt84
11-02-2010, 07:05 PM
all this means to me is two things, if true: more liberal use of the ignore feature here at PA and cool that an older horse gets to keep racing.

too bad all the z-freaks feel the need to make honest discussion about handicapping impossible. again, z ain't curing cancer or feeding the hungry she's just running around in a circle for $$$ like every other 2.5k claimer at los al (only faster)

Quit being a..

JBmadera
11-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Quit being a..

outstanding come back, I take it all back....all hail "rational" z freaks..... :ThmbDown:

cpitt84
11-02-2010, 07:18 PM
outstanding come back, I take it all back....all hail "rational" z freaks..... :ThmbDown:

I just dont take it so seriously but everyone is different! :)

thaskalos
11-02-2010, 08:18 PM
too bad all the z-freaks feel the need to make honest discussion about handicapping impossible. again, z ain't curing cancer or feeding the hungry she's just running around in a circle for $$$ like every other 2.5k claimer at los al (only faster)I don't see how we Z-freaks make honest handicapping discussions impossible...we are only expressing our opinions, which is what online forums are here for.

Judging by the "traffic flow" on this board, way more people are interested in Zenyatta than in handicapping discussions anyway...don't you think?

Would you rather we Z-freaks stop posting...and leave you "Z-realists" talking to yourselves?

PS...with a 19-0 record, I'm sure Zenyatta has fed SOME hungry people along the way...

PaceAdvantage
11-02-2010, 11:00 PM
I just dont take it so seriouslyThat might be part of the problem... :lol:

KingChas
11-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Sherriffs;
“When we were flying out, I thought, ‘This is the last flight we’ll have with her,’ but I try not to focus on that; I want to focus on the race this weekend. The race is coming up great, she’s doing well, and it’s going to be a really exciting Saturday.”

Don't want to bust the bubble,but ...................... ;)

thaskalos
11-03-2010, 12:15 AM
She is gone after this one...there is no doubt about it!

cpitt84
11-03-2010, 01:18 AM
That might be part of the problem... :lol:

whats the problem?

cpitt84
11-03-2010, 01:19 AM
Sherriffs;
“When we were flying out, I thought, ‘This is the last flight we’ll have with her,’ but I try not to focus on that; I want to focus on the race this weekend. The race is coming up great, she’s doing well, and it’s going to be a really exciting Saturday.”

Don't want to bust the bubble,but ...................... ;)

I read that, too. But then other people--like Moss and Smith did not make it definitive. I mean, they did retire her last year and brought her back. It really depends on this race.

KingChas
11-03-2010, 01:29 AM
It really depends on this race.

Agree.
In my opinion if she wins,they retire her.
If she loses,depends how bad she loses.

Lotta if's................ :)