PDA

View Full Version : Zenyatta is Boise St.

depalma113
10-31-2010, 10:56 AM
Plays in a weak conference and dominates the opponents (Filly Division in California).

Occasionally steps out of conference to face mid level BCS teams (Trips to Oaklawn).

Fans believe that beating one top ten opponent, Oklahoma from a big conference in a BCS game, makes them belong with the best. (Wins Classic against some of the better horses, none on their prefered surface).

The win against Oklahoma needed trick plays and overtime. The win in the Classic needed a crazy surface.

Robert Goren
10-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Will you be putting your money where mouth is?

Fingal
10-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Don't think so.

Even Zenyatta knows that grass is GREEN.

depalma113
10-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Will you be putting your money where mouth is?

Of course. I won't bet any 6 year-old in the Classic. It's never been done before. Regardless of the media hype, it won't be done this time.

She's not fast enough, she's facing dirt colts for the first time, her age is not conducive to the race and she is going to be even money. No thanks.

cj
10-31-2010, 01:02 PM
The win against Oklahoma needed trick plays and overtime. The win in the Classic needed a crazy surface.

Boise outplayed OU for most of that game, for the record.

PaceAdvantage
10-31-2010, 01:34 PM
Something tells me this did not require it's own thread... :lol:

Valuist
10-31-2010, 01:37 PM
Boise has taken more unfair criticism, IMO. The gimmick isn't their conference, however. Its their field. Nobody beats them on that blue turf. They put on the blue uniforms and with that blue turf, they are camouflaged.

cj
10-31-2010, 01:38 PM
Boise has taken more unfair criticism, IMO.

Of course they have. They beat everyone that dares play them. The big schools won't, then cry they have an easy schedule.

turfnsport
10-31-2010, 02:35 PM
I thought this was a dumb thread until I realized they both do their best work over the oddest surfaces in the history of their respective sports.

So, as a avid NHL fan, I'd like to toss in the 2009 champions Detroit Revolution of the Major League Roller Hockey League into the discussion if I could.

depalma113
10-31-2010, 03:10 PM
Of course they have. They beat everyone that dares play them. The big schools won't, then cry they have an easy schedule.

Well, that's not exactly true.

Boise St. will not go on the road and play anyone unless they get $1 million pay day. They have been offered anywhere from $300,000 - $500,000 by several schools and they have declined each time. They did get Ole Miss to cough $900,000 for next season, but again it is a mid level power conference team.

They went on the road to Athens a couple of years ago and were destroyed and the payday was well below the $1 million dollar mark. That loss cost them a shot at a much bigger bowl as their final record was 9-3 and not 10-2.

If they truely would play anyone, they would accept that half a million dollar or less payday. Unfortunately it is far easier to claim that no one will play them and than get a shot a big payday in the BCS after playing a weak schedule.

Lose for a half million and not get a shot a BCS payday. Or hold out for a million and play a weak schedule and know you will get a sympathy vote and a shot at a big BCS paycheck. Good business, but it doesn't mean they are a team worthy of it.

Now I know that is not horse racing talk, but it is very similar to the way Zenyatta's connections handle her, the big payday is far more important than proving just how good you really are.

Tom
10-31-2010, 04:00 PM
What does this have to do with racing?