PDA

View Full Version : Giants Fiasco

cj
09-16-2003, 09:32 AM
As a NY Giants fan, I am pretty disgusted at the end of the game last night, and I'm not talking about the kicker! Granted he should have kept the ball inbounds, but it should never have came to that.

Why in the hell did Jim Fassel choose to stop the clock with :14 left to attempt the game winning field goal? It makes no sense. I understand it was only 3d down and he wanted to leave an oppurtunity to try the kick again on 4th down in the event of a botched snap, but you don't need :14 seconds to do this. 10 as a maximum, and you can probably go safely down to 7 and still have time to run it twice. I will grant that Dallas had a timeout left and could have stopped the clock, but why do it for them? If they don't have that timeout left, they don't win the game.

There is no excuse for leaving time on the clock when you have control of the game!

SAL
09-16-2003, 10:41 AM
CJ, I understand how you feel. My team, the 49ers, lost Sunday because of poor last second clock management. I think maybe the playoff fiasco that beat Fassel last year against SF has him being overly cautious. It was a bum deal for you guys. Dallas got extremely lucky.

cj
09-16-2003, 10:43 AM
I was thinking that too SAL, probably still remembers last year!

Larry Hamilton
09-16-2003, 11:02 AM
Ain't it amazing about our favorite teams. The last team I watched was the Dolphins. Griese was QB, WR was Warfield, Running backs were Csonka (my fav full back of all time) and Kiick and Morris. I dont remember anyone from the defense nor do I remember anyone from the offensive line. They won every game that year. Geeez, I dont even remember the year.

cj
09-16-2003, 11:09 AM

Pro Bowlers: Dick Anderson (db), Nick Buoniconti (lb), Larry Csonka (rb), Norm Evans (ol), Larry Little (ol), Mercury Morris (rb), Jake Scott (db), Bill Stanfill (dl), Paul Warfield (wr).

Valuist
09-16-2003, 11:40 AM
That's twice in their L3 games going back to the playoff game in SF that special teams have cost the Giants. However, unlike the playoff game, when they deserved to win, I don't think they really deserved to win last night. The fact that they were in position to win was more a result of Dallas' D tiring and not them doing anything special.

Kicking the ball out of bounds was unforgivable. Not only does Dallas get the ball at the 40, more importantly, no time came off the clock. If they squib kick, at least 7 seconds would've come off and all the Cowboys could do would be to launch a Hail Mary. This is a debilitating loss and I will go against the Giants next week.

Larry Hamilton
09-16-2003, 11:45 AM
I apologize to the team for not remembering their names and thank them for giving me a whole year of pleasure. There is nothing like being able to say, "Wonder who my team is going to beat the shit out of this week..." AND BE RIGHT.

Valuist
09-16-2003, 01:42 PM
That 1972 team should just let the whole "undefeated" thing go. They break out the champagne like a bunch of babies every time the last undefeated team loses. These guys are 55-60 years old now and still egomaniacs. Records are made to be broken; just accept it and move on. Its too bad the Bears had to lose that one game to Miami in 1985; otherwise we wouldn't have to see those sorry ass-Dolphins mugging to the camera every year.

hurrikane
09-16-2003, 01:46 PM
that was an unbelievable ending. When I saw that kickoff bouncing down the field I thought 'oh boy, looks like Parcells is going to go 50-0 if leading at the half'.

I wasn't really impressed with play calling by either team but the kickoff was a bad bad move.

It was the only real chance Dallas had and they gave it to them on a silver platter.

kitts
09-16-2003, 02:50 PM
Dallas figured to lose by 7.5 points and yet they won. Bad kicks, bad calls, bad something. They happen in every game. Dallas hung in there.

cj
09-16-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by kitts
Dallas figured to lose by 7.5 points and yet they won. Bad kicks, bad calls, bad something. They happen in every game. Dallas hung in there.

Figured to lose by 7.5 points? Please send me an email the next time a team loses by 7.5 points :)

kitts
09-16-2003, 06:50 PM
That was just my clever way of expressing the spread, Giants -7.5

At the time I thought it clever.

cj
09-16-2003, 07:54 PM
I was with you kitts, just joking, I knew what you meant...that's the smiley face.

JustRalph
09-17-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Valuist
That 1972 team should just let the whole "undefeated" thing go. They break out the champagne like a bunch of babies every time the last undefeated team loses. These guys are 55-60 years old now and still egomaniacs. Records are made to be broken; just accept it and move on. Its too bad the Bears had to lose that one game to Miami in 1985; otherwise we wouldn't have to see those sorry ass-Dolphins mugging to the camera every year.

Valuist

That was one bad ass team. I think it is great that they still get together and have that drink. They were remarkable and even though I wasn't really a Miami fan, that is one hell of a record.

Paul Warfield was an Ohio Boy and I had to root for him though.

Last nights game was pretty good too....... bad luck for the Giants, but it was the first time in a long time I watched a Monday night game all the way through. Oh yeah...... Terry Glenn and Joey Galloway are Ohio boys too...........but due to their off field antics I don't really have the respect for them that I did for the old timers. You have to admit they are a different breed than what is on the field today.

Valuist
09-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Something about those Ohio State boys. I travel thru Ohio several times a year and I listen to the various sports talk shows. There are plenty of places that do NOT emphasize "winning at all costs, even if you sacrifice your credibility." The state of Ohio is NOT one of those places. They'd sell their souls to win an extra game or two. No one can argue with the talent that has come out of Columbus in the last 10 years, but some of those characters probably cost them 2 national titles. They were the best team in the country in 1998 and in 1995.

As for the 1972 Dolphins, they played a ridiculously easy schedule. Their opponents composite win % (excluding games against them) was around 40%. There were no first place schedules back then.

Larry Hamilton
09-17-2003, 11:08 AM
NOw this is deja vue all over again. I mention I like the Dolphins and get blasted for it. I lack that intensity necessary to be a die hard fan.

My mother lacked no intensity about two teams. She loved the Cowboys and hated the Redskins. An old woman who would sit in front of the tv and curse or applaud men she didnt know. My brother saw that she got all the necessary stuff to be a true fan--cap, big finger, beer drinking batting helmet (though she didnt drink), teddy bears in uniform, a fortune in stuff. Mom really got into the game. My brother and I got great pleasure watching her emotionalize during the games but our passion was horses and only horses.

Which reminds me of mom's secret weapon. My brother once took mom to Laurel. Had to drag her as she did not like getting out. If you have ever been to Laurel, you know that there is a problem with birds. One of them dropped a load on mom's program. She bet on the one covered by the load and won. For a long time, we heard about how easy this game is and why do you two pour over that newspaper and get ink all over yourselves?

I miss her. For those of you who still can--enjoy your parents.

Valuist
09-17-2003, 11:31 AM
I wasn't blasting you; I was blasting the Dolphin players.