PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the "Back to the Dirt" Breeders’ Cup, or "Downs and Dirty."

andymays
10-27-2010, 10:09 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/59520/back-to-the-dirt-compelling-breeders-cup

Excerpt:

The Breeders’ Cup, following two consecutive years run over Santa Anita’s Pro-Ride surface, has returned to Churchill Downs for the first time since 2006. Since then, Churchill has installed lights for night racing, and as a result the Ladies’ Classic (gr. I), to be run Friday, Nov. 5, will become the first ever prime time Breeders’ Cup race, with a 7:30 post. The lights also will be on for the following evening’s Breeders’ Cup Classic (gr. I), scheduled to be run at 6:45.

With the Breeders’ Cup back on dirt, and with the normally friendly grass surface of Churchill Downs generally having good give, a large contingent of horses from the United States and Europe is expected, including classic winners from both continents and several past Breeders’ Cup winners. Adding to the excitement and anticipation will be two strong representatives from Japan.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/59520/back-to-the-dirt-compelling-breeders-cup

PhantomOnTour
10-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Last year we all took the lessons learned from the 2008 BC and simply eliminated dirt runners in poly races...easy. Not so easy this year. It will be tougher with the poly to dirt move because they can't be thrown out, and some really improve with the move to real dirt. It'll be a challenge.

Tom
10-27-2010, 10:19 AM
From a betting standpoint, give it to me on poly.
I made a lot of really intelligent bets the last tow years and am not looking forward to reverting back to idiot savant this year! :D

andymays
10-27-2010, 10:32 AM
The Fields Are In

The Breeders’ Cup announced the pre-entries today for all 14 races in the press release below. More details to follow.

Press Release

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/the-fields-are-in/

Robert Fischer
10-27-2010, 10:43 AM
although the surfaces(yes even the turf is different, although a lesser degree) are different from the last two Breeders Cup Championships, the surface will play a very small role in your handicapping(unless we get unexpected rains).

For the minority of horses who are making dramatic surface changes, the best course of action is(once again) to apply a high level of insight about the individual horses and opportunities rather than to make generalizations.

Black Ruby
10-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Let's hope we don't have the breakdowns we had the last time the BC was at Churchill.

cj
10-27-2010, 10:52 AM
The Fields Are In

The Breeders’ Cup announced the pre-entries today for all 14 races in the press release below. More details to follow.

Press Release

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/the-fields-are-in/

This is an embarrassment:

"If Zenyatta is to repeat, she will have to do it against one of the strongest Classic fields ever assembled. "

Robert Fischer
10-27-2010, 10:55 AM

"If Zenyatta is to repeat, she will have to do it against one of the strongest Classic fields ever assembled. "

yea, thought Paulick was a no-nonsense type ?

andymays
10-27-2010, 11:00 AM
yea, thought Paulick was a no-nonsense type ?

Paulick puts up lots of nonsense.

I'm not sure that these are Paulicks words. They could be a press release from Churchill. You would think they would have a link. ??????????

Robert Fischer
10-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Paulick puts up lots of nonsense.

I'm not sure that these are Paulicks words. They could be a press release from Churchill. You would think they would have a link. ??????????

yea they looked like a "generic" statement

but no quotation marks or link that I saw... could be...

andymays
10-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Breeders' Cup Pre-Entries

BluegrassProf
10-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Let's hope we don't have the breakdowns we had the last time any race was run at any track anywhere in the country.Fixed.

andymays
10-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Let's hope we don't have the breakdowns we had the last time the BC was at Churchill.
http://www.churchilldowns.com/node/3780

Excerpt:

We’re proud that Churchill Downs maintains one of the safest racetracks in the world, but we continually look for ways to improve conditions and increase the safety of our horses and riders. Measures in place to help ensure safety on the track focus primarily on protective gear and the racetrack surface itself.

michiken
10-27-2010, 01:09 PM
From a betting standpoint, give it to me on poly.
I made a lot of really intelligent bets the last tow years and am not looking forward to reverting back to idiot savant this year! :D Reverting Back Tom? How do you know you never left? :)

rubicon55
10-27-2010, 01:14 PM

Excerpt:

We’re proud that Churchill Downs maintains one of the safest racetracks in the world, but we continually look for ways to improve conditions and increase the safety of our horses and riders. Measures in place to help ensure safety on the track focus primarily on protective gear and the racetrack surface itself.

Just checked the weather for Churchill for next Friday. 40% chance of rain. Looking for some drop outs. Maybe off the turf?

andymays
10-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Just checked the weather for Churchill for next Friday. 40% chance of rain. Looking for some drop outs. Maybe off the turf?

I'll think of it as 60% chance of no rain. ;)

The turf course can take quite a bit of water.

OTM Al
10-27-2010, 02:58 PM
You don't go off the turf for this event. Monmouth was a two day deluge and they stayed on.

Tom
10-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Who is calling the races both days?

God, don't tell me it is the horrible home-boy screamer!

Durkin?
Trevor?

FenceBored
10-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Who is calling the races both days?

God, don't tell me it is the horrible home-boy screamer!

Durkin?
Trevor?

I would assume Trevor. Isn't he now the "voice of the Breeders' Cup?" He called 2006-2009.

joanied
10-27-2010, 05:06 PM

There ya go:ThmbUp: me too...long range said very slight chance of rain on Fri. and none for Sat....around my neck of the woods, a 40% chance means we ain't getting rain...

andymays
10-27-2010, 05:20 PM
BC Officials Expecting Record Two-Day Event | BloodHorse.com

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/59532/bc-officials-expecting-record-two-day-event

BluegrassProf
10-27-2010, 06:24 PM
I would assume Trevor. Isn't he now the "voice of the Breeders' Cup?" He called 2006-2009.Tragic. :bang:

I expect to see animals taking flight en masse from the Commonwealth, wide-eyed and terrified as they flee.

Pick6
10-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Tragic. :bang:

I expect to see animals taking flight en masse from the Commonwealth, wide-eyed and terrified as they flee.
I don't recall that happening in '06.

BluegrassProf
10-27-2010, 06:51 PM
I don't recall that happening in '06.Must not've been looking. Keep your eyes open this time.

Pick6
10-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Must not've been looking. Keep your eyes open this time.
Yeah, sure.

sandpit
10-27-2010, 11:10 PM

It has rained here only twice in two months, including that big squall line that came through yesterday. You can bet CD has had the sprinklers on the every day. If you watch Keeneland, take a look at the nice green turf and then the brown grass in the infield and you'll get an idea of how dry it has been here. Unless we get substantial rain in the next week, which isn't in the forecast, the CD turf will not be as soft as usual.

Tom
10-28-2010, 09:26 AM
That could be a big factor....

BluegrassProf
10-28-2010, 11:40 AM
It has rained here only twice in two months, including that big squall line that came through yesterday.Don't you dare test karma with a comment like this. Next thing you know, we'll have a fit of tornadoes, inexplicible water spouts, and meteor showers.

I had a hell of a time getting around yesterday with those friggin' tree-trimmers eating up the roads... :bang:

rubicon55
10-28-2010, 11:51 AM
It has rained here only twice in two months, including that big squall line that came through yesterday. You can bet CD has had the sprinklers on the every day. If you watch Keeneland, take a look at the nice green turf and then the brown grass in the infield and you'll get an idea of how dry it has been here. Unless we get substantial rain in the next week, which isn't in the forecast, the CD turf will not be as soft as usual.

I hope your are right, Thanks for your local insight.

Steve R
10-28-2010, 12:33 PM

Based on figures alone this is one of the weakest fields in over a decade. I've looked at every field since 1999 and pulled out each horse's best pre-BC number (on my system) during the year of the race. Then I calculated the median best figure and the average best figure for the entire field. Assuming Crown of Thorns and Dakota Phone opt for the Dirt Mile, the rest have the worst median figure and the second worst average figure. It looks to me like this field is 3 to 6 lengths slower on average than the best fields of recent years (Tiznow in 2001, Invasor in 2006 and Ghostzapper in 2003). The only previous running on a par with this one was Saint Liam's in 2005.