PDA

View Full Version : The Man in Black

LutherCalvin
09-14-2003, 12:38 PM
I will miss Johnny Cash. To me he was an authentic human being, and a tremendous talent. I truly enjoyed his performances to the men behind bars. May he rest in peace.

dav4463
09-15-2003, 12:32 AM
Johnny Cash and John Ritter on the same day.....really depressing. Interesting that I went to Lone Star Park on Friday night.....a free concert by Herman's Hermits !!! They did a tribute to Johnny Cash....very cool ....and John Ritter (Jack Tripper)...you are a classic...I won't forget you.....

andicap
09-15-2003, 12:26 PM
The wonderful thing about Johnny Cash -- other than he is one of the greatest
singer - songwriter - artists of our time is his ability to attract people on all sides of the social/political/economic spectrum. Everyone seems him as their own -- liberal, conservative, poor. rich, white, black, etc.

I could listen to his stuff for hours if not days on end -- a giant of our time in many, many ways and an amazing influence on so many other
musicians of all musical stripes: rock, folk, country, blues. No one crossed over like he did -- and he had staying power, putting out great songs for years
on end.
Celebrities, musicians, artists come and go and we rarely have time
to really mourn them (even George Harrison). But I felt deeply, deeply
saddened when Cash left us and really upset that I will never get
a chance to see him live or look forward to another new Cash song or live performance on CD.
that he managed to eventually beat the devil of drug addiction shows that even great people can succumb to what is an illness and should be treated as such, just as we do alcoholism.

A real American hero.

:( :(

Tom
09-15-2003, 08:42 PM
What a guy....he left sooooo many artists behind that would not have made it without his help. He gave the gift of music to everyone.

JustRalph
09-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Johnny Cash came up with one of the greatest innovations in Country Music, and did it early and often after that.

He was one of the first to put "Horns" on a country song.

The Horn section in "Ring of Fire" came to him in a dream. He called them the "Mariachi Horns from Mexico" in an interview I saw. For the time period etc, Damn "ingenious"

ingenious:

marked by originality, resourcefulness, and cleverness in conception

Johnny Cash in a nutshell...............

superfecta
09-15-2003, 10:56 PM
Liked how he stepped into different areas of music other than just country.And how he did it,giving the establishment the finger(literally,remember the ad to the snubbing of his "alternate" album a few years ago?).Sad that it took so long for him to be recognized as still an innovator.

Hosshead
09-16-2003, 07:59 AM
JOHNNY CASH - One of the ALL TIME GREATS !!

Only had to live 3 or 4 months without his beloved June.
He was a very good friend (and former roommate) of Waylon.

They both had wives, that saved their lives.

I miss them both.