PDA

View Full Version : LM Quinones at the Mountain in Race 4

Stillriledup
10-24-2010, 08:30 PM
A rider named LM Quinones rode Lady Redchecks in the 4th tonight at the mountain. He went off at about 15-1. This filly is consistent and is a closer. Sometimes she's a stalking closer and sometimes she's a deep closer. So, anyway, i think that maybe she can get 3rd or 4th and complete a nice Tri or Super. Ya know, at 15-1 the jock is likely to ride conservative and make a few smart decisions and maybe pick off a few horses late and get into the fray.

What do you guys think LM did? I know you're thinking he grabbed a hold, angled over to the rail, saved some ground and tried to angle out in the lane and grab some money. Right? I mean, that's what Jerry Bailey or Chris McCarron might do.

No. He rushed this horse out of the gate and went 5 wide into the first turn, wrangled back but never really attempted to save any ground and was basically 5 wide all the way around the track (one mile race, two turns). This filly was hard trying and to the jock's credit, he never gave up on her and just missed 4th by a nose, finishing 5th. She raced great.

Oh what might have been had LM realized he was actually riding a big longshot and not Zenyatta.

Why do people have such a hard time with situational riding? Know your horse, know your race, know the situation. (and i don't mean Mike Sorentino)

Bullet Plane
10-24-2010, 09:05 PM
He could be bad, teaching the horse something on instructions from the trainer, or darkening the form of the horse for a betting coup.

Market Mover
10-24-2010, 09:20 PM
He could be bad, teaching the horse something on instructions from the trainer, or darkening the form of the horse for a betting coup.

Happens every day, at every racetrack, at every level. That's why they call it horse racing.

Stillriledup
10-24-2010, 10:09 PM

Its probably A. I can't imagine the trainer told him to lose a million miles of ground on both turns, yet, that's what he did anyway.

proximity
10-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Its probably A. I can't imagine the trainer told him to lose a million miles of ground on both turns, yet, that's what he did anyway.

when you spend your time handicapping and preparing for the card ahead of time it would be nice if your jockey would give the same "professional" effort to planning what he's going to do when the gate opens.

Stillriledup
10-26-2010, 08:34 PM
when you spend your time handicapping and preparing for the card ahead of time it would be nice if your jockey would give the same "professional" effort to planning what he's going to do when the gate opens.
'I'm not asking for much, the less ground you travel the quicker you get to the finish wire.

Edward DeVere
10-26-2010, 08:44 PM
'I'm not asking for much, the less ground you travel the quicker you get to the finish wire.

Except on those many nights at Mountaineer when the rail is quicksand. (Though I don't think tonight is one of those nights.)