PDA

View Full Version : Famous Feuds in Racing: Mike Maker versus Garrett Gomez

andymays
10-24-2010, 05:50 PM
http://racing.courier-journal.com/2010/10/this-time-gomez-takes-off-makers-horses.html

Excerpt:

Gomez was on the Maker-trained Stream of Gold in Thursday's fourth race, but told the state vet at the starting gate that there was a problem with the horse. The state vet didn't see anything that merited scratching, but Gomez declined to ride. Victor Lebron came out of the jocks' room to ride the 9-1 shot, who finished seventh.

Maker subsequently took Gomez off the four horses he was scheduled to ride for the barn Friday and the one he was named to ride Saturday. Today, Gomez was to ride two horses for Maker.

garyscpa
10-24-2010, 06:01 PM
http://racing.courier-journal.com/2010/10/this-time-gomez-takes-off-makers-horses.html

Excerpt:

Gomez was on the Maker-trained Stream of Gold in Thursday's fourth race, but told the state vet at the starting gate that there was a problem with the horse. The state vet didn't see anything that merited scratching, but Gomez declined to ride. Victor Lebron came out of the jocks' room to ride the 9-1 shot, who finished seventh.

Maker subsequently took Gomez off the four horses he was scheduled to ride for the barn Friday and the one he was named to ride Saturday. Today, Gomez was to ride two horses for Maker.

Damn polytrack.

Shelby
10-24-2010, 06:11 PM

Excerpt:

I heard about all of this on TVG on Friday morning. I don't understand why Mr. Maker took Mr. Gomez off of all of his scheduled horses. I'm not a trainer, but I would not fault any jockey for speaking up if he felt that my horse wasn't feeling right. If I still felt that the horse was sound --after the vet checked him out, and if the original jockey didn't want to ride, then I'd get the replacement jockey. But, I wouldn't pull Mr. Gomez off of all other scheduled mounts. :confused::confused::confused:

andymays
10-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Damn polytrack.

Yes, damn Polytrack all day every day.

Stillriledup
10-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Famous Feud's

Joe Bravo V Julie Krone

Mike Iavarone v David Lanzman

Jerry Jam vs Richard Shapiro

Jeff Mullins vs all the Horseplayers in So Cal

Those are the ones i can think of right now, anyone want to add a few?

woodtoo
10-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Zennatta fans vs Rachel Alexandra fans :D

discodog
10-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Gomez took himself off the two Maker had him named on today, and the feud goes on.

Linny
10-24-2010, 07:53 PM
I heard about all of this on TVG on Friday morning. I don't understand why Mr. Maker took Mr. Gomez off of all of his scheduled horses. I'm not a trainer, but I would not fault any jockey for speaking up if he felt that my horse wasn't feeling right. If I still felt that the horse was sound --after the vet checked him out, and if the original jockey didn't want to ride, then I'd get the replacement jockey. But, I wouldn't pull Mr. Gomez off of all other scheduled mounts. :confused::confused::confused:

When I rider declines to ride and or calls the horse to the attention of the track vet, he is in effect saying" This trainer has sent me out here on a sore/unfit horse." and them's fightin' words.
That said, I don't blame any rider for not wanting to compete on a horse he thinks is a ticking time bomb. This horse has an odd history and his being in for $10k says alot.

Hanover1
10-24-2010, 07:58 PM
When I rider declines to ride and or calls the horse to the attention of the track vet, he is in effect saying" This trainer has sent me out here on a sore/unfit horse." and them's fightin' words.
That said, I don't blame any rider for not wanting to compete on a horse he thinks is a ticking time bomb. This horse has an odd history and his being in for $10k says alot.

I can't run a lick, yet am perfectly healthy. Guess I go in cheap.........

garyscpa
10-24-2010, 08:30 PM
don't think that one is going to work..............

It was an imported smiley and it didn't work.

Shelby
10-24-2010, 08:42 PM

Ohhhhh...

I guess that seems kind of childish to me....not trying to insult anyone by that.

For me, the safety of the horse and rider come first. Wouldn't a jockey want to keep his mount because that equals a paycheck? I would think (and again, I'm NOT smart about any of this) that if a jockey turns down a horse, that, in his mind, there is a legit reason to do so. Thus, I would take him at his word and believe him.

thaskalos
10-24-2010, 08:51 PM
I can't run a lick, yet am perfectly healthy. Guess I go in cheap.........Just don't expect Gomez to ride you...:)

Stillriledup
10-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Its all petty. The guy didnt' want to ride the horse, so the trainer made it look like the jock was just a sniveling brat (as opposed to him putting an unsound horse on the track).

nijinski
10-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Famous Feud's

Joe Bravo V Julie Krone

Gary Stevens vs Pat Day

Shelby
10-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Its all petty. The guy didnt' want to ride the horse, so the trainer made it look like the jock was just a sniveling brat (as opposed to him putting an unsound horse on the track).

I just said that, only nicer. ;)

appistappis
10-25-2010, 12:30 AM
avelino gomez vs hugo dittfach......those were the days.

eastie
10-25-2010, 01:44 AM
Gary Stevens vs Pat Day

maybe you should watch Thunder Gulch after winning the derby....what was Stevens handing off to Pat Day ?

kingfin66
10-25-2010, 01:50 AM
Todd Schrupp vs. Roger Stein

Trotman
10-25-2010, 05:23 AM
Appistappis this feud was probably the all time best and some of the most explosive moments were when the horses moved to Fort Erie. :D

Robert Fischer
10-25-2010, 12:23 PM
When i first read this i thought the vet stuff might have been BS, to cover for another reason Go-Go had to sit out a race...
however when i read it again, that doesn't really stand out to me any more, the whole thing is cloudy...

im sure a couple of you guys know what really hap.

Robert Goren
10-25-2010, 12:26 PM
When Gomez first started, It was Gomez vrs the rest of the jockeys at Fonner park. They thought he took too many chances going through small holes.

nijinski
10-25-2010, 01:33 PM
maybe you should watch Thunder Gulch after winning the derby....what was Stevens handing off to Pat Day ?
What was it he handed off to him?????

I suppose i should have added Lucas and W Stephens after Day went
after her with Forty Niner , Gary had choice words for him.

Trotman
10-25-2010, 05:33 PM
When Gomez first started, It was Gomez vrs the rest of the jockeys at Fonner park. They thought he took too many chances going through small holes.
RG on the part of the Fonner jocks it sounds like sour grapes. El Perfecto was a fierce competitor but, as is well documented was a friend to all jocks. He did well in his rides in the US so well immigration sent him packing back to Canada because he was born in Cuba and the local jocks didn't like it him getting their mounts.

affirmedny
10-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Gomez's side:

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/blog/_/name/gomez_garrett/id/5723726/saddle-instincts

PaceAdvantage
10-25-2010, 11:38 PM
maybe you should watch Thunder Gulch after winning the derby....what was Stevens handing off to Pat Day ?As much as I beat this story to death back in the day (and even a time or two after), I can't go through this again... :lol:

The answer is: we'll never really know...but it sure does look like sumptin...

JustRalph
10-26-2010, 12:57 AM
Gomez's side:

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/blog/_/name/gomez_garrett/id/5723726/saddle-instincts

I always scream that these guys never have to answer questions from reporters etc. I gotta give credit where credit is due.........that is the kind of thing we need more of in this sport. And he said it well............

nijinski
10-26-2010, 01:01 AM
As much as I beat this story to death back in the day (and even a time or two after), I can't go through this again... :lol:

The answer is: we'll never really know...but it sure does look like sumptin...

I guess those extortion photos with the supposed e.d. handed to Day well , True we'll never know .

GARY Z
10-26-2010, 06:09 AM
unless I'm mistaken Cordero vs Pincay/Bailey

As respects the feud between Maker and Gomez , Mike should lose
some lbs, and get on his horses before questrioning the knowledge
of a reknown jockey.

Had this horse broken down with the replacement Jock, plaintiff attorneys
would have a field day with Maker AND Keeneland for allowing
this horse to run, even if Gomez had been wrong.

Robert Fischer
10-26-2010, 06:18 AM
at first glance GG's agent is a good blogger, but my have p$$yd-out about the connections and taking of the extra horses.

mountainman
10-26-2010, 01:10 PM
By taking off in the post parade, Gomez is by inference asserting that Maker was violating the "ultimate insurer" rule, which holds the trainer responsible for a horse being in suitable condition to race. Trainers hit the roof when this happens. Dale Baird, in particular, comes to mind as a horseman who quickly severed ties with more than one jockey after similar incidents.

From a separate perspective, in whose judgement should a player put his faith when a rider calls off in the post parade? Do you cancel your bet on said runner, or stick to your guns? My blanket advice to viewers is to always bail, but I've been burnt by this policy when abandoned mounts went on to score. In fact, I've been somewhat surprised at how frequently these horses win.

samyn on the green
10-27-2010, 03:35 AM
Same thing happened with Jerry Bailey and Nick Zito up at Saratoga in 2005. Bailey refused to take Noble Causeway to the post of the Jim Dandy because he was sore. This was not some $10K claimer but the second choice in the Jim Dandy. Zito was very embarrassed that he would put a sore horse on the track and never rode Bailey again.

Bailey was validated when Noble Causeway returned to the races and was pulled up. Ironically Bailey won the race that Noble Causeway was pulled up in on a Frankel charge named Ice Wind and Fire.

Robert Fischer
10-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Gomez has had a weird year... 1st Baffert seemed to have a problem with GG, switching his mounts to the talented but knuckleheaded Garcia... Now this... (and i haven't even been following GG closely, may have been more) I know he went to was it monmouth? (oaklawn or was that just a few shippers?) early in the year for a fresh start and purse opportunities...

There's room to speculate and draw conclusions, but I really don't know any inside info or gossip, so i'll take it at face value here.

andymays
10-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Gomez has had a weird year... 1st Baffert seemed to have a problem with GG, switching his mounts to the talented but knuckleheaded Garcia... Now this... (and i haven't even been following GG closely, may have been more) I know he went to was it monmouth? (oaklawn or was that just a few shippers?) early in the year for a fresh start and purse opportunities...

There's room to speculate and draw conclusions, but I really don't know any inside info or gossip, so i'll take it at face value here.

Robert the kid is still very young and he came from nowhere without much of an education. All Jockeys make mistakes some more than others but I doubt Baffert would be riding him first call if he was too much of a knucklehead.

I agree with you that he is talented.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jockey rises from Bay Area deli to Preakness win

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/05/17/MNVF1DFN76.DTL

Excerpt:

Still, she decided to give Garcia a shot as a grill cook.

"He was just a super-hard worker," Terry said Sunday. "He worked at another restaurant and at mine and he was cleaning office buildings in the middle of the night. He got famous for making specials that were very spicy."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/05/17/MNVF1DFN76.DTL#ixzz13ZFheiUQ

Mineshaft
10-27-2010, 01:41 PM

Exactly right happens all the time.

Mineshaft
10-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Gomez's side:

In a way hes saying Makers an idiot for not believeing me the horse didnt seem right in the warmup.

Robert Fischer
10-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Last week alone I rode several for them. I was taken off Maker's horses for Friday and Saturday, so today[Sunday 24 October] I just took off the two I was entered to ride because I didn't want any more trouble.

didn't he take off Maker's horses on Sunday because he was pissed for being taken off on Friday and Saturday, not because he didn't want any more trouble??

It makes it sound like he lied or bent the truth for the blog.

Robert Fischer
10-27-2010, 04:01 PM

Sounds pretty crappy all the way around. Not much class from the trainer, - although i can understand them defending their cause. If GG just wasn't feeling well, and he knew that his mount wasn't going to win him any money I can see him causing the whole problem that way as well... Who knows ? Although it isn't possible I will just give EVERYBODY the benefit of the doubt(that makes zero sense but i mean well..)

- The substitute jockey in that situation needs to be eliminated by way of the Jockeys union and the Vets. - If a jock wants off for "something didn't feel right"(not even necessarily unsoundness per se ! importante' distinction) the Vet needs to back him with a "I see nothing wrong but precautionary scratch, scratch. And the backup jockey can not ride to back up a "something didn't feel right" jump-off. Problem almost solved and no need to feud for the whole weekend with that sillyness

joanied
10-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Calling Garcia a 'knucklehead' is going too far...he's young, he'll make mistakes, but the kid can ride and as time goes by, he'll become more polished....live and learn, ya know!

Gomez did the right thing...no one knows better how a horse feels than the person on his back...and, IMO, the gate vet should have scratched the horse, because the gate vet should know that the riders can feel more than a vet can see from the ground. The gate vets are there to protect the horses & riders, and to doubt a jock is asking fro trouble...the vet was wrong, Maker was wrong, Gomez was right.
I also beleive when a jock asks for a gate scratch, that another rider should not agree to take the horse...those guys out there have to protect each other, and the paycheck for one mount isn't worth taking a chance on riders and horses being hurt.

fmolf
10-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Calling Garcia a 'knucklehead' is going too far...he's young, he'll make mistakes, but the kid can ride and as time goes by, he'll become more polished....live and learn, ya know!

Gomez did the right thing...no one knows better how a horse feels than the person on his back...and, IMO, the gate vet should have scratched the horse, because the gate vet should know that the riders can feel more than a vet can see from the ground. The gate vets are there to protect the horses & riders, and to doubt a jock is asking fro trouble...the vet was wrong, Maker was wrong, Gomez was right.
I also beleive when a jock asks for a gate scratch, that another rider should not agree to take the horse...those guys out there have to protect each other, and the paycheck for one mount isn't worth taking a chance on riders and horses being hurt.Questions need answering...Was this the first time GG rode this horse...what is the horses racing history....If GG had never been onthe horse before or is not the regular rider I think i might be inclined to believethe vet......

joanied
10-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Questions need answering...Was this the first time GG rode this horse...what is the horses racing history....If GG had never been onthe horse before or is not the regular rider I think i might be inclined to believethe vet......

I have no time right now to look up the horse, Stream of Gold, but here are a couple of quotes I found under a post your comments section:

"One look at the PP's would tell you that the horse has had problems and had not been seen by KY regulatory vet's since his lone start in 09"

"based on the the PP's(not much public works, year + layoff earlier, and even finishes"

With the use of so many masking drugs, NSAIDS....it's hard for the gate vets to really 'see' something, but not so hard for the riders to 'feel' something.

Use your own judgment, but I'll go with Gomez on this one.

Mineshaft
10-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Questions need answering...Was this the first time GG rode this horse...what is the horses racing history....If GG had never been onthe horse before or is not the regular rider I think i might be inclined to believethe vet......

Doesnt matter if it was GG first time on the horse. Any jock who feels the horse is not right underneath will not ride the horse.

David-LV
10-29-2010, 07:07 PM
The most famous feud of them all was the one between The Hatfields And The McCoys. :lol::D

_________
David-LV

Stillriledup
10-29-2010, 07:14 PM
The most famous feud of them all was the one between The Hatfields And The McCoys. :lol::D

_________
David-LV

Actually the Flintstones and the Hatrocks was #1 of all time.....with this one, maybe, a close second. :jump:

toetoe
11-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Famous Feud's

Joe Bravo V Julie Krone

Light versus TLG.

Let's get ready ... ta rum-m-m-m-mble.

toetoe
11-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Gomez was having a bad day, and my source says GG admits he handled it badly. Now, one option was to break the horse last and never raise a gallop, which would be easy, as the horse was almost too slow to hurt himself. To his credit, GG did not think of this.

CryingForTheHorses
11-01-2010, 08:06 PM

LMAO at old Hustling Hugo...aka "The Slasher"..Man he would take chunks out of them poor horse runining down the stretch.I liked the competition between Hawley,Platts,Grubb and Kelly back in the day..
"

domino1891
11-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Same thing happened with Jerry Bailey and Nick Zito up at Saratoga in 2005. Bailey refused to take Noble Causeway to the post of the Jim Dandy because he was sore. This was not some $10K claimer but the second choice in the Jim Dandy. Zito was very embarrassed that he would put a sore horse on the track and never rode Bailey again.

Bailey was validated when Noble Causeway returned to the races and was pulled up. Ironically Bailey won the race that Noble Causeway was pulled up in on a Frankel charge named Ice Wind and Fire.

Zito played musical jockeys on noble causeway. 18 starts 10 different jocks.
(not counting Bailey)

Stillriledup
11-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Can someone post a picture of Calvin on this thread.

Thanks. :ThmbUp:

eastie
11-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Actually the Flintstones and the Hatrocks was #1 of all time.....with this one, maybe, a close second. :jump:

"Well I don't know what the artist got for painting that portrait, but it should have been life." Fred Flintstone

garyoz
11-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Cordero vs. Franklin

Matt Caruthers vs. Matt Caruthers (he's his own worst enemy)