PDA

View Full Version : Irony of ironies

ElKabong
10-24-2010, 01:26 PM
SF gets home adv b/c the NL won the all star game. The losing pitcher was none other than Phil Hughes (he's an 18 game winner, you know :)

Dude had a fine year but got roughed up a bit in games that were outside the realm of regular season games.

Being home for games 6 and 7 is a nice advantage for the Giants. It should be a fun series, love the way the Giants play the game.

cj's dad
10-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Is it still 2-3-2 or have they changed to 2-2-1-1-1 ?

Ocala Mike
10-24-2010, 09:10 PM
It's still 2-3-2. As it is, the Series may not end until after Election Day. If they went 2-2-1-1-1, that would stretch it out ridiculously.

Will have to root for the NL Giants now, and I think they will surprise.

Ocala Mike

PaceAdvantage
10-24-2010, 09:15 PM
(he's an 18 game winner, you know :)Did I shit in your cornflakes recently? One really has to wonder with the amount of ball busting you seem to be sending my way.

And please don't tell me to chill, or relax, or this is all in fun. I'm as chill as can be...just curious is all...

Dave Schwartz
10-24-2010, 10:38 PM
PA,

How did you know he was talking to you?

Dave

skate
10-24-2010, 11:00 PM
i doubt that i'll be eating any corn flakes lately.:)

PaceAdvantage
10-24-2010, 11:39 PM
PA,

How did you know he was talking to you?

DaveBecause I'm good.

Steve 'StatMan'
10-25-2010, 11:37 AM

I remember that joke! Or at least one like it. :)

ElKabong
10-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Did I shit in your cornflakes recently? One really has to wonder with the amount of ball busting you seem to be sending my way.

And please don't tell me to chill, or relax, or this is all in fun. I'm as chill as can be...just curious is all...

Hell, I'm having fun. You did see the "wink" emoticon I'm sure. None of this is serious to me...so yes, Chill :)

Check out some college football boards sometime. anm and 0u fans come over to Hornfans and dish it out & take it too. Everybody lives and dies on Saturday, but in the end it's all for fun if you're not on the field.

ElKabong
10-25-2010, 08:52 PM

I know one breakfast the Yankees won't be eating for the next 12 months; Wheaties, the breakfast of Champions :)

PaceAdvantage
10-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Hell, I'm having fun. You did see the "wink" emoticon I'm sure. None of this is serious to me...so yes, Chill :) See Dave...I knew it.... :lol:

I told you I was good...

Bettowin
10-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Molina gets a ring no matter who wins. First half of the season with the Giants and the second half with the Rangers.

Valuist
10-26-2010, 01:15 PM
How about Molina?? Guaranteed a ring regardless of who wins as San Fran said they would give him a ring should they win.

OTM Al
10-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Only thing ironic here is ElKabong's thread title. Technically though he would have to know the definition of irony to make such a statement ironic though, so even that has problems. Hughes being the losing pitcher in the All-Star game is coincidence. The phrase "knowedgable Texas baseball fan" could be uttered with irony, though the phrase itself borders on an oxymoron. Here's an ironic phrase: "Ron Washington is the best manager in the AL"

cj's dad
10-26-2010, 01:38 PM
There will thousands of fans limping around Texas' ballpark due to all those sprained ankles from jumping off the U of T bandwagon.

Ocala Mike
10-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Not to mention the crush of bodies falling off the Dallas Cowboys bandwagon after last night.

Ocala Mike

Marshall Bennett
10-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Believe most had already bailed.

ElKabong
10-26-2010, 10:23 PM
. Hughes being the losing pitcher in the All-Star game is coincidence. "

Nah, Hughes lost the AS game for the same reason he lost 2 ALCS games....He sucked in the clutch.

Thus he, like you, have to watch a team other that the Jonkees play in the world series.

At the convenience of my pleasure, of course.

Toodles.

Steve 'StatMan'
10-27-2010, 01:05 PM
The Rangers currently have the chance to do what the other Texas MLB team, Houston, wasn't able to do in 2005, although reaching the World Series vs the White Sox - win a World Series game.

cj's dad
10-27-2010, 01:16 PM
I have no dog in this fight but if I were a Rangers fan, I would be concerned that in the heat of the pennant race the Rangers lost 6 of 8 games to the Orioles. There was a 4 game sweep in July in Texas and a 2/2 series in Baltimore in August, and the sweep happened before Buch Showalter took over as manager.

PS- I hope tonight's Lincicum- Lee match up lives up to its' promise.

RaceBookJoe
10-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Not to mention the crush of bodies falling off the Dallas Cowboys bandwagon after last night.

Ocala Mike

Why doesnt San Antonio have a professional football team???

Because then Dallas would want one too. :lol:

ElKabong
10-27-2010, 11:55 PM
I have no dog in this fight but if I were a Rangers fan, I would be concerned that in the heat of the pennant race the Rangers lost 6 of 8 games to the Orioles. There was a 4 game sweep in July in Texas and a 2/2 series in Baltimore in August, and the sweep happened before Buch Showalter took over as manager.

PS- I hope tonight's Lincicum- Lee match up lives up to its' promise.

That sweep was the low point of the post April 2010 season, had a lot of media types and fans thinking "uh oh, here comes the slide and the Angels will run away from the R's again"....But the team picked itself up after that series and took care of business.

SF has impressed me all yr long with their grit, sure showed plenty tonight. I'm still optimistic. It's going to be a fun series

PaceAdvantage
10-28-2010, 02:18 AM
I knew Cliff Lee was human after all...looks like it's all downhill from here for the Rangers if they can get to Lee like this in game 1.

Too bad. I was hoping to console myself with the fact that the Yankees may have lost to the eventual World Series Champs. Who knows...might still happen...

thaskalos
10-28-2010, 03:24 AM
I knew Cliff Lee was human after all...looks like it's all downhill from here for the Rangers if they can get to Lee like this in game 1.

Too bad. I was hoping to console myself with the fact that the Yankees may have lost to the eventual World Series Champs. Who knows...might still happen...The Rangers will win it in 6 games.

OTM Al
10-28-2010, 08:58 AM

Too bad. I was hoping to console myself with the fact that the Yankees may have lost to the eventual World Series Champs. Who knows...might still happen...

Would have been nice to actually have been able to see the game....I suppose I could break out a radio. Maybe once it gets down closer to the wire.

chickenhead
10-28-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm sure the Rangers will repay the favor at some point -- but that was quite a hurt they put on Lee. I know Lee's been flawless in the postseason (up to last night), but realistically, Lincecum > Lee. 2 Cy Youngs in a guys first 3 years just doesn't happen for no reason, but I still think people sleep on him. 39-0 when he gets decent run support, thats pretty ridiculous.

I'm more worried about our lineup being able to match runs as well as the Rangers as we go through the rest of the staff, they all need to stay on point.

rgustafson
10-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Would have been nice to actually have been able to see the game....I suppose I could break out a radio. Maybe once it gets down closer to the wire.

According to Steve Crist in the DRF today, just hook up your old rabbit ears antenna and you'll be just fine:)

OTM Al
10-28-2010, 03:35 PM
According to Steve Crist in the DRF today, just hook up your old rabbit ears antenna and you'll be just fine:)

Yeah, I saw that. Haven't seen any of those in years.

PaceAdvantage
10-28-2010, 05:27 PM
You can get one of those digital antennas and be watching the World Series in HIGH DEF in no time...they broadcast all of the major networks over-the-air in hi def....

cj's dad
10-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Yeah, I saw that. Haven't seen any of those in years.

Al - Dude - move into the current century !!

chickenhead
10-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Poor old Nolan. You know he wants to go Robin Ventura on the Rangers entire bullpen right now.

They should have him on the roster, he's probably still good for an out or two just on pure stubbornness.

ElKabong
10-29-2010, 12:04 AM
I thought Lincecum was very hitable in game 1...I think the R's were pissed they didn't chase him early. In fact, Tim left in the 6th.

Cain--- now there's a diffferent story. Dude is the new Cliff Lee. Fearless, and w/ an ump behind the plate tonite that is notorious for having a small strike zone.

Tonite was as good as baseballl gets...well, at least for 7 1/2 innings. CJ and Cain were awesome. I love baseball when you get 2 pitchers mowing down batters like that

PaceAdvantage
10-29-2010, 02:56 AM
Man, this has to hurt for you...hurts for me more, since we've already lost to the Rangers, who now look like nothing but little whipping boys.

OTM Al
10-29-2010, 08:55 AM
The inability to play Vlad in the NL park really hurts the Ranger's offense. You might say what does that matter given Ranger's pitching has given up 20 runs over two garmes to what was one of the weaker offensive teams, but jumping on top early has a great influence on how a game plays out. I think he has to play if they get back to San Fran. If the Texas pitchers aren't getting hit around the park he weak defense won't play too much of a role.

ihatenyra
10-29-2010, 09:58 AM
I guess somehow this will be blamed on arod for the rangers not hitting this series :lol:

Pace Cap'n
10-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Josh Hamilton hits the longest outs I've ever seen.

ElKabong
10-30-2010, 10:29 AM
PA,
Why would this hurt? Being in the World Series "hurts"? Odd way to look at things.

A lil video for you, I like the last sentence Cliff said... :cool:

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101027&content_id=15857374&vkey=news_tex&c_id=tex

PaceAdvantage
10-31-2010, 08:29 PM
PA,
Why would this hurt? Being in the World Series "hurts"? Odd way to look at things.

A lil video for you, I like the last sentence Cliff said... :cool:

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101027&content_id=15857374&vkey=news_tex&c_id=texWell, the way you were describing it to me earlier, I thought it only counted if you won...good to know an appearance is all it takes...

cj
10-31-2010, 09:57 PM
Ridiculous not to start Lee, and I'm not saying that because they are down 2-0. He had plenty of rest between the ALCS and the WS.

ElKabong
11-01-2010, 12:29 AM
Great win for the Giants, this was the one Texas needed to steal away. Bumgartner and his defense rose to the occasion like Champions.

If SF wins tomorrow nite, I hope the 52000 fans give the Giants (and R's) the standing ovation they deserve. The Giants weren't the best NL team during the season but they are built for series play (great pitching) and have come up big. :ThmbUp:

chickenhead
11-01-2010, 09:50 PM
I was going to post earlier that Renteria was my own personal MVP, just for playing -- it allowed us to move Uribe over to 3rd, get Sandoval who's been crappy all year off the field -- our defense at 3rd and SS have been excellent and a big reason why they're playing so tough this series.

With that 3 run shot he cemented it for me, just awesome.

ElKabong
11-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Renteria = MVP of the series, but he wasn't the difference imho...That HOT, great pitching staff was. They rarely made a mistake in 3 of those wins.

Congratulations, Giants. A team with a story, they'd make for a great book, ala Hoosiers. Great story, great team.

PITCHING and DEFENSE.....Makes baseball fun again! Enjoy it, you played like Champions when the lights were ON.

chickenhead
11-01-2010, 11:20 PM
I'm writing in Bochy for Governor tomorrow.

raybo
11-02-2010, 12:45 AM
Congrats to the Giants!!

I'm hurtin' a little, but knew after game 3 we were out classed in every phase of the game, at least in this Series, anyway.

I'm just happy we finally got by the Yanks (was a Yanks fan long before the Rangers existed).

The ALCS was my Series.

ElKabong
11-02-2010, 12:55 AM
Congrats to the Giants!!

I'm hurtin' a little, but knew after game 3 we were out classed in every phase of the game, at least in this Series, anyway.

I'm just happy we finally got by the Yanks (was a Yanks fan long before the Rangers existed).

The ALCS was my Series.

Same here. Beating NY was the year-maker. Going back to childhood, I liked the Yanks in the first yrs I can remember playing little league- mantle, maris, ford, howard, etc....then we had the white sox games on dallas radio in 62 0r 63 i believe, my brother and i became big sox fans.....really i liked all mlb teams before the rangers moved here in 72 except for st louis, who kept beating the giants (i was a huge mays, mccovey fan then)

Back then, GETTING to the world series was the big deal. To me, it still is. Winning is icing on the cake for fans of a team that never has been to the fall classic

bigmack
11-02-2010, 02:07 AM
I'm writing in Bochy for Governor tomorrow.
Come to your senses, man; his adoption is still pending.

Played here, coached here for a dozen.

In other news... Yippie fer the LeftCoast Giants. :ThmbUp:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/sfgiantschicken-1.jpg

toetoe
11-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Ferget blaming Vlad the Flailer --- it's the fault of those two babykillers flanking George Washington in the stands. :rolleyes: .

Good job, Mr. Bochy. :jump: .

ihatenyra
11-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Should we start calling Josh Hamilton "she" after his dismal world series .100 world series?

Rangers will be much better off once they get rid of him :lol:

PaceAdvantage
11-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Should we start calling Josh Hamilton "she" after his dismal world series .100 world series?

Rangers will be much better off once they get rid of him :lol:As far as history goes, Elkabong might agree...

ElKabong
11-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Ladies, ladies! No blame game going on here! The Rangers made it to the World f'n Series. You do remember that thing called the Fall Classic, right?

Have a beer. Yes, I know one of these couldn't be bought for $200,000,000.00 this year in NY, but one could find this for $8 in Arlington.

Spend your money wisely, ladies. We learned that lesson the hard way with A Roid, but we did learn.

Enjoy!

PaceAdvantage
11-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Ladies, ladies! No blame game going on here! The Rangers made it to the World f'n Series. You do remember that thing called the Fall Classic, right?

Have a beer. Yes, I know one of these couldn't be bought for $200,000,000.00 this year in NY, but one could find this for $8 in Arlington.

Spend your money wisely, ladies. We learned that lesson the hard way with A Roid, but we did learn.

Enjoy!Then again, you did lose...so really, how much better off are the Rangers and/or Ranger fans than Yankee fans at the moment?

Hey, revel in that WS appearance as long as you can... :lol:

cj
11-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Then again, you did lose...so really, how much better off are the Rangers and/or Ranger fans than Yankee fans at the moment?

Hey, revel in that WS appearance as long as you can... :lol:

I've never been one for moral victories. Second is great, but it still sucks compared to first. I'm still pissed the Orioles blew a 3-1 lead in 1979.

raybo
11-02-2010, 10:45 PM
I've never been one for moral victories. Second is great, but it still sucks compared to first. I'm still pissed the Orioles blew a 3-1 lead in 1979.

Yeah, 2nd does suck, but, we finally got there, anyway. That's important to me, you can't win it if you don't get there. Maybe, with the monkey off our back, it won't be so long getting there again.