PDA

View Full Version : Down 15 points, you score a TD, go for 1 or 2 pt conversion?

Zippy Chippy
10-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Last night OKLAHOMA was down 15 w/ about 6 mins left. They score a TD, i say to my friend, "This is a case where you would never in a million years go for 2" no sooner than i say that, Bob Stoops keeps the QB out to go for 2.

Not being result oriented, but I would always wait and go for 2 the 2nd time from a mental point of view. You have momentum, you score, cut it to 8, you yell at your defense to make 1 stop. How deflating is it getting to w/in 9 and missing the 2? Now you are still 2 scores down.

ON a side note they missed. They were down 9 with 2 mins left, no timeouts, on their own 10 yard line and they PUNTED!.. Missouri kneeled 3 times and the game was over. I know its probably 2000-1 that you come back but why wouldn't you atleast try???

eastie
10-24-2010, 12:23 PM
a no brainer. you always go for one to keep it a one score game. If you miss you're down two scores and deflated from missing. I went out for a minute and came back and thought they missed the kick. Did they really go for 2 ? If so he should immediately be canned. Reminds me of the Navy coach who was up 6 with 4th and 1 from the 8, and instead of kicking the FG to go up 9 and end the game (there was a minute left) he goes for it. Gets stopped and Army drives down the field and wins the game.

Robert Goren
10-24-2010, 12:33 PM
You should always go for 2 there. You are going to have to do it sometime. If it fails now, then you know you need 2 scores and adjust your game plan accordingly. There is no argument for not going for it.

cj
10-24-2010, 01:10 PM
You should always go for 2 there. You are going to have to do it sometime. If it fails now, then you know you need 2 scores and adjust your game plan accordingly. There is no argument for not going for it.

I think you go for one. Bob Stoops has had some very shaky coaching moments this year. The punt was ridiculous as well.

ElKabong
10-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Mack made the same mind numbing kind of decision in yestrdays loss as well. :confused:

I was flipping back n forth between the Giants-Phils, Mizzou-OU, Bama-Tenn games....I missed where OU imploded in the 4th, I'll have to see the replay this week on espn. I feel good for Mizzou, I hope they finally win a conf title this yr

Zippy Chippy
10-24-2010, 09:46 PM

Ya they adjusted accordingly by quitting and not even trying. If you kick the point from a mental point of view its much better.

slew101
10-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Find me another coach who did what Stoops did? You can't. It goes against every common sense to go for 2 on the first TD.

dav4463
10-24-2010, 11:36 PM
You should go for two only when you have to do it. There is a chart out there that tells exactly when it should be done and I think all NFL teams use it.

slew101
10-24-2010, 11:40 PM
The chart doesn't dictate common sense. Case in point. Marvin Lewis chasing 2-pointers late 3rd quarter against Atlanta. He missed both, then Atlanta hit theirs (because Cinci opened the door) and went up 7. If he kicked his extra points, Atlanta would have up 4.

You should go for two only when you have to do it. There is a chart out there that tells exactly when it should be done and I think all NFL teams use it.

Valuist
10-25-2010, 12:03 AM
I assume that the chart isn't even looked at or considered before the 4th quarter. After that point, the chart takes on meaning, but I agree with your point about Marvin Lewis.......nothing more foolish than repeatedly chasing that 2 ptr you didn't convert last time.

eastie
10-25-2010, 12:07 AM

If Tom Osbourne read this, you'd be thrown out of Nebraska. You can't be serious

Robert Goren
10-25-2010, 12:13 AM
Find me another coach who did what Stoops did? You can't. It goes against every common sense to go for 2 on the first TD.You might not be able to find another coach who would do it, but logically it still the way to go for the reason I stated. I hated when a coach doesn't do it and then miss the 2 points with 10 seconds left in the game. He put the whole games outcome on one play, a play that has a less half of chance to success. It is giving your team it best chance at winning. It is bad coaching in my opinion.

slew101
10-25-2010, 01:03 AM
The reward of getting the 2-pointer there would be huge obviously, but the down side is the game is over with a miss. The point is to keep your team in the game as long as possible.

The West Virginia-Marshall game had the same scenario earlier in the season. Down 21-6 late, WV got the TD to 21-13, then scored with 10 seconds left and got the 2-pointer, then won in OT.

The other play with Stoops punting on 4th down and no timeouts at 2 minutes was another baffling decision.

You might not be able to find another coach who would do it, but logically it still the way to go for the reason I stated. I hated when a coach doesn't do it and then miss the 2 points with 10 seconds left in the game. He put the whole games outcome on one play, a play that has a less half of chance to success. It is giving your team it best chance at winning. It is bad coaching in my opinion.

Robert Goren
10-25-2010, 09:23 AM
If Tom Osbourne read this, you'd be thrown out of Nebraska. You can't be serious Tom Osbourne and 2 point conversions is a matter of great debate among long time Husker fans as I am sure you know. Thanks for rubbing salt into a 25 year wound.

Canarsie
10-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Imo punting was far worse then going for two. I would have gone for one but maybe he was figuring if they made it the energy level would even be higher just trailing by 7. Oklahoma is the most overrated team this decade by far they always choke in big games. Throw in Bob Stoops as a great coach don't see it.

dav4463
10-26-2010, 06:35 AM
Cowboys down 12 tonight, and Wade went for two......they made it, but it was stupid. If you don't make it....game over!

PhantomOnTour
10-26-2010, 07:08 AM
Agree with previous poster; going for 2 was the wrong thing to do.

Lately it has occured to me that guys like Wade Phillips, Norv Turner, Marvin Lewis should go back to being O or D coordinators because they can't do the head coaching thing at all. They are all fantastic in their supporting roles...see Dick Lebeau, Chan Gailey, Romeo Crennel.

cj
10-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Cowboys down 12 tonight, and Wade went for two......they made it, but it was stupid. If you don't make it....game over!

They also went for TD when down 38-20...a FG gets you within two scores. It was a coaching disaster for Dallas last night.

OTM Al
10-26-2010, 01:58 PM
I watched the game last night as without Fox, it may be the last chance I get to watch the Giants this year. Not going for the FG was really dumb. The team needed 3 scores, one of which could be a field goal and they threw it away.

Going for the 2 when they did though when they did seemed reasonable. I think you have to make a judgement call about these things. It's going to have to happen anyway so I would think that if you think you really have the team on its heels, and the Giants were really playing poorly at the time, it might be the right time to do it as opposed to if the team was giving up yards, but grudgingly. You don't know if the Giants might pull it together if you give them time to regroup, so the best chance could have been right then to convert. Answers to such questions are always difficult as we only know for sure what did happen and not what might have happened.

ElKabong
10-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Find me another coach who did what Stoops did? You can't. It goes against every common sense to go for 2 on the first TD.

Mack Brown this past weekend.....down 28-6, score a td, he went for 2....still can't figure out why, neither can anyone else

slew101
10-27-2010, 01:09 AM
Close to the same situation but not the same as down 15.

Now if Mack kicked the PAT there to make is 28-13, then got the next TD with 3 minutes left, what would he have done? Go for 2 or kick the PAT to make it 28-20?

Mack Brown this past weekend.....down 28-6, score a td, he went for 2....still can't figure out why, neither can anyone else

cj
10-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Close to the same situation but not the same as down 15.

Now if Mack kicked the PAT there to make is 28-13, then got the next TD with 3 minutes left, what would he have done? Go for 2 or kick the PAT to make it 28-20?

Kick the PAT, every single time.

cj
10-27-2010, 09:54 AM

Mack was probably in shock and not responsible for his actions.