PDA

View Full Version : I still find this eerie....

PeteKoch
10-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Recently read Don Larsen's comments about Halladay's no-no.

Larsen's perfect game in '56 was not only the first (and only) in the postseason, it was the first ever perfect game by a Yankee pitcher.

In 1998, David Wells became the 2nd Yank to accomplish the feat. Wells and Larsen attended the same San Diego high school.

A bit over a year later, David Cone threw the 3rd Perfecto by a pin-striper.
The Larsen connection ? He was at the game. In fact, he threw out the ceremonial first pitch.

Spooky.....

And did you know ? Like Halladay, then-Phillie Rick Wise no-hit the Reds. It was in 1971 vs. the Big Red Machine. Wise also hit 2 HRs in the game. He is the only player in MLB history to throw a no-no and hit multiple HRs in the same game.

Even more rare than perfect games is the feat of hitting 2 Grand Slams in the same game (13? 14?). But a few were even more unique:

* Fernando Tatis (STL) hit 2 in the same inning (both off Chan Ho Park)
* Bill Mueller (BOS) hit one from each side of the plate
* Tony Cloninger (ATL) is the only pitcher to do it
* Nomar Garciaparra (BOS) is the only player to do it in his home ballpark

On the subject of Grand Slams, Robin Ventura (CHW) is the only player in MLB history with a Salami in both ends of a double header. Ventura, I believe, ranks 3rd in career Grand Slams. But for the enthusiasm of Todd Pratt, he would have become the only player to hit a walk-off Grand Slam in the postseason. As a result, Ventura was credited with a very famous 'walk-off Grand Slam single'.

And, my favorite:
Ken Holtzman is the only Jewish left-hand pitcher with multiple career no-hitters who never pitched for the Dodgers. BTW, Holtzman threw both of his two as a Cub, none as an 'A'.

skate
10-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Yah Pete you got some good stuff there

what was the Todd Platt reference?

and the no noses be something else again...yep:)

PhantomOnTour
10-23-2010, 02:14 PM
That Rick Wise no-no vs the Reds was the last time they were no hit until Halladay...39yrs or so. I think the Cubs have the longest current streak without being no-hit...goes back to the 60's I think.

ElKabong
10-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Speaking of Robin Ventrura, Jerry Grote had the funniest quote I ever heard in baseball, was about Nolan working over Ventura when Robbie charged Nolan..."Robin ventura is the first guy to ever get five hits off Nolan Ryan in a game"

JustRalph
10-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Speaking of Robin Ventrura, Jerry Grote had the funniest quote I ever heard in baseball, was about Nolan working over Ventura when Robbie charged Nolan..."Robin ventura is the first guy to ever get five hits off Nolan Ryan in a game"

now that's funny :lol: :lol:

Ocala Mike
10-23-2010, 06:32 PM
skate, it's Todd PRATT (not PLATT).

In the 1999 post-season, Pratt (who was supposed to be running the bases) was the first Met to embrace teammate Robin Ventura after Ventura hit a grand-slam to win Game 5 for New York. Since Ventura only touched first base, he was officially credited with a single, referred to jokingly as a "Grand Slam Single".

Ocala Mike

Marshall Bennett
10-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Always thought the two no-hitters by the same teams back to back was strange . Gaylord Perry no hit the Cards and the following day Ray Washburn no hit the Giants .
Also strange was that in Holtzman's first no-hitter he didn't strike out a single batter and in his second he scored the only run .

ElKabong
10-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Ken Holtzman, one of my all time favorite pitchers. The fastest working pitcher I can recall, once saw an NBC game o' the Week game where the game was played in about 2 hrs flat. He was something to watch

eastie
10-23-2010, 10:52 PM

In the 1999 post-season, Pratt (who was supposed to be running the bases) was the first Met to embrace teammate Robin Ventura after Ventura hit a grand-slam to win Game 5 for New York. Since Ventura only touched first base, he was officially credited with a single, referred to jokingly as a "Grand Slam Single".

Ocala Mike

that made the game stay under the total instead of going over. guess which side i had ?

PhantomOnTour
10-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Speaking of no hitters and perfect games...no pitcher has thrown more than one perfect game, but a catcher has caught two....

ihatenyra
10-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Speaking of no hitters and perfect games...no pitcher has thrown more than one perfect game, but a catcher has caught two....

Posada?

PhantomOnTour
10-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Ron Hassey caught Len Barker in 1980 and Denny Martinez in the early 90's I believe...both for the Indians.

NJ Stinks
10-24-2010, 12:17 AM
that made the game stay under the total instead of going over. guess which side i had ?

That could be the toughest beat of all time.

cj's dad
10-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Recently read Don Larsen's comments about Halladay's no-no.

Larsen's perfect game in '56 was not only the first (and only) in the postseason, it was the first ever perfect game by a Yankee pitcher.

In 1998, David Wells became the 2nd Yank to accomplish the feat. Wells and Larsen attended the same San Diego high school.

A bit over a year later, David Cone threw the 3rd Perfecto by a pin-striper.
The Larsen connection ? He was at the game. In fact, he threw out the ceremonial first pitch.

Spooky.....

Even more rare than perfect games is the feat of hitting 2 Grand Slams in the same game (13? 14?). But a few were even more unique:

* Fernando Tatis (STL) hit 2 in the same inning (both off Chan Ho Park)
* Bill Mueller (BOS) hit one from each side of the plate
* Tony Cloninger (ATL) is the only pitcher to do it
* Nomar Garciaparra (BOS) is the only player to do it in his home ballpark

On the subject of Grand Slams, Robin Ventura (CHW) is the only player in MLB history with a Salami in both ends of a double header. Ventura, I believe, ranks 3rd in career Grand Slams. But for the enthusiasm of Todd Pratt, he would have become the only player to hit a walk-off Grand Slam in the postseason. As a result, Ventura was credited with a very famous 'walk-off Grand Slam single'.

Jim Gentile - Baltimore Orioles May 9 1961 vs, Minn. Twins Back to back grand slams in the 1st and 2nd innings.

I am pretty certain he was the first player to accomplish this.

PhantomOnTour
10-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Jim Gentile - Baltimore Orioles May 9 1961 vs, Minn. Twins Back to back grand slams in the 1st and 2nd innings.

I am pretty certain he was the first player to accomplish this.
Correct :ThmbUp:

Another oddity...in 1968 Gaylord Perry(of the Giants) no hit the Cards and beat Gibson 1-0. The next day Ray Washburn of the Cards threw a no hitter against the Giants. Squared that deal, eh?

TRIVIA: who holds the record for the lowest batting average that won the batting title? He hit .300005 and that was good enough to lead the league.

OTM Al
10-24-2010, 11:43 AM
I think Larsen was at the Wells game. Can't remember for sure as I didn't see it on tv. Was sitting down the third base side. That was quite a year. Team was just a machine though they stumbled a bit in September.

Marshall Bennett
10-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Correct :ThmbUp:

Another oddity...in 1968 Gaylord Perry(of the Giants) no hit the Cards and beat Gibson 1-0. The next day Ray Washburn of the Cards threw a no hitter against the Giants. Squared that deal, eh?

TRIVIA: who holds the record for the lowest batting average that won the batting title? He hit .300005 and that was good enough to lead the league.
Wasn't that Yaz the year he won triple crown? Bob Gibson posted a 1.12 era that year. The following year they lowered the mound.

Marshall Bennett
10-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Ken Holtzman, one of my all time favorite pitchers. The fastest working pitcher I can recall, once saw an NBC game o' the Week game where the game was played in about 2 hrs flat. He was something to watch
Tom Browning worked very quickly. Recall several games he pitched were played in under 2 Hours. He was notorious for it. Not sure of the time of the perfect game he pitched.

Marshall Bennett
10-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Looked it up, his perfect game was only 1 hr. 51 min. long.

Ocala Mike
10-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Yaz was credited with a .301 BA in 1968. Did they "round up" in those days? Maybe they found another hit for him somewhere along the line, because I would think that .300005 is a .300 BA.

Ocala Mike

eastie
10-24-2010, 12:18 PM
That could be the toughest beat of all time.

I've had worse than that. In the Army-Navy game alone. Though on the subject kind of. Rick Wise had a good stick. He coulda Dh'ed and hit .330. Toughest baseball beat was an inside the park grand slam by Amos Otis when Reggie Jackson and Billy North collided.

Ocala Mike
10-24-2010, 12:18 PM
OK, found the discrepancy. Yaz batted .30055, NOT .30005 in 1968, so the .301 is accurate. Talk about "year of the pitcher"!

Ocala Mike

ElKabong
10-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Wasn't that Yaz the year he won triple crown? Bob Gibson posted a 1.12 era that year. The following year they lowered the mound.

1968, the yr Mcclain won 31...and then MLB made some changes to bring more offense/ runs to the game- which was unfortunate.

Pretty sure Yaz won the TC the yr before, .301 BA

among the changes i recall going into 1969 was a crackdown on the spitter, and umps were instructed to check baseballs for scuffing, etc. Biggest was lowering the mound as you mentioned.

back then one of the things i thought to be weird was the diff strike zones each league had...AL umps had the balloon protector, NL had the more mod versions..NL had the lower strk zone if i recall.

Marshall Bennett
10-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Also found this strange. Three perfect games were thrown in the American league between 1957 and 1994. Few fans showed up to watch. The attendance at Catfish Hunter's was 6298, Len Barker's was 7290, and Mike Witt's was 8375.

skate
10-24-2010, 02:13 PM

Ocala Mike

And that's why they call him Toad Splatt, why them little varments.:)

PhantomOnTour
10-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Sorry 'bout the Yaz thing...threw in too many 0's....but he's the guy.