PDA

View Full Version : John Nerud Visits Racing Museum to View Exhibit

andymays
10-23-2010, 01:51 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/59468/nerud-visits-racing-museum-to-view-exhibit

Excerpt:

A major part of racing history came alive at the National Museum of Racing Oct. 22 when the legendary John Nerud visited the museum to see the collection of trophies and paintings he recently donated.

Nerud, who will turn 98 in February, is the oldest living member of the Hall of Fame.

The collection included many of Nerud’s trophies, as well as paintings of Nerud and his greatest horse, Dr. Fager, who like his trainer is in the Hall of Fame

Robert Fischer
10-23-2010, 02:05 PM
sound like dude checking on his collection either for a last couple visit or so, or maybe it just bring him joy.
Good stuff. good stuff.

Pell Mell
10-23-2010, 07:27 PM
An excerpt:

In discussing some of today’s topics, Nerud said of the horses being bred today, “They’re breeding horses for the market; cosmetic horses,” he said. “When I bred horses in Ocala, I thought I had good yearlings. When I went to the yearling sales in Kentucky, those horses were bigger and rosier, and better looking. I said, ‘I must be missing something.’ But when we got to Belmont and Saratoga, I’d wind up beating those horses, so I knew something was wrong. They were giving growth hormones and anabolic steroids to those horses, which made them big, muscular, fancy-looking horses, but they didn’t improve their bone; there was too much muscle for the bone. And that’s why we’re having trouble today.

Good article :ThmbUp:

joanied
10-23-2010, 07:31 PM
IMO, that man is the dean of horse training...brilliant man and I love that he isn't affriad to say what he thinks...IMO, the entire industry would be better off today if they'd taken his advice about breeding decades ago....used to go visit the farm quite a lot when I was in Ocala.

WinterTriangle
10-24-2010, 02:00 AM
IMO, that man is the dean of horse training...brilliant man and I love that he isn't affriad to say what he thinks...IMO, the entire industry would be better off today if they'd taken his advice about breeding decades ago....

Ellen Parker has a group of articles called Unsound Breeding--The Series, but only available to subscribers of Pedlines at this time. One article in the series IS available, here: http://reines-de-course.com/breeding.htm

BTW, since I know you're into "hugs" ----- something that Nerud was into with dr. fager. Ditto, Karen Taylor with Seattle Slew. Here are two people who literally loved their horses, the way a little girl loves her pony, or as some people who have children, (which Taylor didn't have), love them.