PDA

View Full Version : Freehold Raceway Picks: Saturday, Oct. 23

Teach
10-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Race One: I know: "If brains were taxed, I'd be due a rebate!" Yes, I'm picking "the Hornet," the pride of Holmdel, NJ, Mickey Goldin. His horse: #1 Gold Star Smokin (No, I ain't smokin' hemp). I do this with great trepidation...fear even (Thank you, Snagglepuss). Here's a man who wins two or three races every meet (usually from the inside post). You can probably tell I'm shakin as I make the key strokes. In a nutshell: It's his race to lose. He has the rail with a nondescript bunch. He shows early speed (don't, in a million years, expect a 1:56.4; his time in his last race where he closed into fast opening fractions). Yet, there just doesn't seem to be anyone else in this race. However, let's face facts: Goldin's UDR (.124) is only lower than SF's Jonathan Sanchez's ERA against the Phillies this year (1.38). If you're playing exotics: #6 Jazzy Hanover; #2 L Flaviadi; #3 Morgan Starn.

Race Two: You know what they say: "What goes around, comes around!" My pick in this race: #5 Luck Goes Around. I must admit that I'm not a big fan of provisional driver, Robert Bresnahan, Jr. Yet, I believe Bob Bresnahan has improved in recent months (his UDR,,.278, isn't too shabby). Luck Goes Around had a tough go of it against slightly better company in his last; this time he's back in with the kind he can beat. Some "punters" may overlook this horse because it's Bresnahan in the bike; yet, I believe with the right handling this horse can win. Exotics: #1 Artic Blue; #2 Prince Olympic; #3 ItTakesTwoBaby, and possibly #7 Blissfull Ball (if Baggitt leaves).

Race Three: I know...I know...Once a "chooch"...always "a chooch". This is my off-the-wall, out-in-left field longshot pick. Yes, I'm "loco". A "mishugenuh". I'm picking #3 Hunter Hylight with Alessandro Spano. This is another one of those throw-darts-blindfold races. I believe this horse was out for some fresh Freehold air last time after a qualifier that preceded a lengthy layoff. This horse has faced better at Yonkers in the past. He now moves inside to an improved striking position. Yes, in this kind of race I'm willing to shoot for some value. Exotics: #1 Kings Point (logical, if he stays flat); #2 Golden Seven; and #6 Make Me Famous N.

Race Four: I'm gonna try and beat the logical fave with the #1 Melton Multimax. For one, Jeff Gregory is capable reinsman. Second, the rail should help this veteran pacer (the last time he had the #1 hole he finished 2nd at Yonkers in 1.55.1). This horse has lifetime earnings in excess of 1/4 of million dollars; yet, his one win in 23 starts this year is concerning. Exotics: #3 Raider's Match (the logical fave) ; #2 Truly The Man; #7 Oragami Artist

Race Five: #1 Penn Turbo Ted won his last race in convincing fashion. Jim Pantaleano helps. This horse has the rail and should be closing best of all in the stretch. He has four wins in his last seven starts. Exotics: #2 The Real Dion; #3 Fritzie Rocket; #4 Cardmaster and possibly #7 YouBetterBelieveIt (if the horse gets the trip).

Race Six: I like #2 Mc Idle with Cat Manzi. This horse came up short in the stretch against tougher company at Yonkers. He may have needed that effort as a tightener. This horse has class and, on his best effort, he can win. I must admit that it's troubling that he hasn't won in at least his last ten starts. Yet, he's been racing against stiffer competition. Exotics: #1 Perdition, #5 Liberty Call; #6 Silver Sunset; #7 Redneck Outlaw.

Race Seven: I like "the inside." Particularly, the #1 Albert Street A. Foist, he's got the rail (invisible as it is); second, Jim Pantaleano is in the bike; and third, he won his last, albeit against softer, in convincing fashion. Exotics: #2 JM Rambo; #3 Fifty-Fifty; #4 Sequoiah's Spirit N

Race Eight: #2 Twin B Impact moves back down in company with the kind he can handle. He has the speed and the inside post to make this a winning trip. Exotics: #1 Marchand; #3 Keep On Flyin; and #4 AllAmerican Champ (he best shot would be to round out a superfecta).

Race Nine: I like #4 Whole Lotta Shakin with "The Pandy Man," Jim Pantaleano. This 3-year-old Rocknroll Hanover-bred gelding is stepping up in company, but I believe he can handle the class hike. This horse won last week in very convincing fashion. Exotics: #1 Pass The Deck (a veteran campaigner on the improve); #2 Tough Chip (ignore last few races); #3 Cam's Future (an in-the-money kinda horse); and #5 The Bad Deputy (he's been razor sharp, lately).

Race Ten: I'm gonna shoot for a little value with #6 Meat Loaf. This horse has faced better both at Freehold and Harrah's Chester. Mark Lewis is a most capable driver. All he needs is the trip. He may well be on the engine. Exotics: #3 Dax Hanover (won last time; should not be overlooked); #5 Gold Like Us (Has faced better; might just provide value in exotics); #7 Beliefs In Town (Made an uncharacteristic break; if sound, could round out gimmicks).

Race Eleven: #1 Tomahawk Sakra hasn't had a decent starting post in several weeks (this may just be his day). He's faced better at Yonkers. Worth a look. Exotics: #5 Real Class (he's a contender; should hit tote); #6 Hurrikane Anthony (should be able to close ground in the stretch); #8Camra Loving Shark (Might just surprise and add value to gimmicks).

Race Twelve: #4 Fox Valley Michael has been either first or second in nine of his last ten tries. Jim Pantaleano in the bike is a plus. Exotics: #2 Devil's Grin (Looks like main threat); #5 Monbak (has faced better); #8 Jasper Bob (If he leaves from post #8, he becomes a factor).

As always, these are suggested picks; do your own due diligence. Good Luck!