PDA

View Full Version : Tail Wagging The Dog

mhrussell
09-06-2001, 07:24 PM
As an engineer by training, I love computers. I love developing and finding great software to use to assist me in solving problems both in my day job and in my handicapping. But let's all remember that every software program is just a tool we use; it should not use us. Handicapping software is a tool used to identify which horses we feel are contenders; which ones the public will like or dislike and which one(s) (if any) will be worth a bet.
I applaud the HSH group for their pioneering efforts and think their work is worth pursuing. I've worked with GA's a little in my graduate work some years ago and loved it. I went through the "Tour" and the "Enigma" segments on their web site and found it most interesting. Will I be buying their product anytime soon? No. Not because I question the soundness of the program or the integrity of the people involved, but rather I already have a computer tool that I have developed myself that is comprehensive and meets my criteria of being "good enough". Because these are horse races we are trying to analyze which are inherently random. There is a limit to how much insight and predictive capability any computer program can provide us in regards to the outcome of a horse race. If we were talking about the latest finite element structural analysis program then fighting about all these fine points and nits and getting all hot and bothered about this program vs. that program may be worth the effort. But not here. Not in horse racing. I do not care if some latest and greatest computer program rates a given race somewhat differently, or even if it is "better". And I am certainly not interested in any computer program that will generate a more "accurate" top number or odds line that would somehow try to talk me out of betting a 3rd best number horse that is going off at 40-1. The bet value factor in this game is so dominant that all these other fine points are moot.

Handicapping software has this as its primary purpose: to take the drudgery out of information management(data entry, record keeping, etc.); employ some kind of sound rational yet unconventional means of rating horses to produce output that can be easily reviewed and evaluated in order to construct good bets or else determine the race should be passed. And that's it. It's not worth debating how many angels can fit on the head of a pin when we could be out there betting 40-1 horses that have a shot. The recent posts about HSH have become a case of the tail wagging the dog. Let's exchange and enjoy discussion points on the various software products we use but let's not fall into this trap. And by all means, relax a little. This is supposed to be fun as well as profitable.

Dr.Larry
09-06-2001, 07:35 PM
Good Post

smf
09-06-2001, 07:36 PM
Well said, Matt.

crowsage
09-06-2001, 07:50 PM
Matt,

A well written and persuasive piece. In fact, I find it so persuasive and cogent that I have elected not to spend money for HSH when there apparently are several other programs out there that are "good enough" and free to the user. Thanks for the input.

Dave Schwartz
09-06-2001, 07:51 PM
MH,

I agree wholeheartedly with your post! First, anybody that can write their own software, should, if for no other reason that they can do it "their way." Heck, that's how I got into the business to begin with.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PaceGuy
09-06-2001, 10:41 PM
MHRussell-

Well said.

karlskorner
09-07-2001, 04:24 PM
Matt;

I enjoyed your post. Looking for 40-1 shots is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle, but I guess it does happen.

There is a lady ar CRC that uses something known as Kosmos 1 Biorhythm calculator. She keeps a notebook with birth dates and charts of jockeys and trainers, before each race she punches in some numbers, goes to the window and purchases several tickets. After the race I have seen her come back to her seat on numerous occasions counting some large bills. Very frustrating.

Karl

FortuneHunter
09-08-2001, 10:04 AM
Matt said (quote),

"Handicapping software has this as its primary purpose: to take the drudgery out of information management(data entry, record keeping, etc.); employ some kind of sound rational yet unconventional means of rating horses to produce output that can be easily reviewed and evaluated in order to construct good bets or else determine the race should be passed. And that's it."

Your point is well taken. This is why Handicapping information fits so well with computer databases, especially since the advent of electronic PP data files and results.

We have developed a Handicapping Worksheet attempts to provide consistent method of presenting a handful of key factors on for each entry in a race on 1 sheet of paper. Simple calculations presented in a clear, easy to read, concise format. Also included on the Worksheet are 4 selections generated by a computer program.

From time to time we query the database for performance statistics on the computer selections and other handicapping factors to try to improve the Win ROI.

Our computer selection algorithm is about to become the secondary aspect of our effort on this project. We have a decent Win%, and Win ROI on our Top 2 selections.

I coined a phrase on this board many months ago:

"Reap the Mutuel Pool Harvest"

Our next area of interest is to develop queries to analyze the ROI performance of exotic wagering strategies of our Selection Program.

We currently have Win%, Win ROI, Win Avg. Odds, and Winning (i.e. Losing) Streak performance reports.

I am currently in development of a “Query Control Panel” to allow queries such as:

“For BEL Fall meets, For Alw Turf Races with more than 10 entries,
What is the ROI of a Tri Part Wheel of: Top 2 Selections entries /with/ Top 2 Selections entries & Top 3 Pace Rank entries /with/ Top 2 Selections entries & Top 3 Pace Rank entries “

The idea is to turn the power of the computer/database towards developing profitable wagering strategies using the selection program we have developed and the database.

I think these concepts and ideas are very close to the ideas you expressed.

Stop by our commercial free, free Website: www.handicappers-datamine.com and check out our project.

Good Luck, FH

harpowitz
09-09-2001, 04:34 AM
For some reason this discussion on the role of the computer in handicapping brought to mind a story told by Harvey Pack who hosted the NYRA recap of the races.
He talked about an elderly gentleman who frequented Aqueduct regularly and stayed inside watching the races on TV.Before the raceday began, the National Anthem was played and a waving American Flag displayed on the TV. This elderly gentlemen duly noted in which direction the flag was blowing as he believed wind dirction has some effect on the way horses ran. He did not realize the flag was a videotape and the flag always blew in the same direction. There's a moral in there somewhere.