PDA

View Full Version : No justice for starved horses at Hidden Meadows Equine Rescue in West Virginia

takeout
10-23-2010, 03:45 AM
http://www.examiner.com/equine-advocacy-in-national/no-justice-for-starved-horses-at-hidden-meadows-equine-rescue-west-virginia

WinterTriangle
10-23-2010, 06:53 AM
Takeout, I have no information on this rescue, but it is important to know when donating to one if they are pro-slaughter or pro-euthanization.

What I WILL say is that most people have no idea just how bad off some of the off-track TBs are who arrive at these places, coming in from other places.

Here's how they often arrive:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/5076924463_f10eacc0a1.jpg

Can't even stand up! They are already in advanced stages of starvation, and have ulcers and you can't just start feeding them heavily.

I've worked at rescues, and you see animals that have been there for months, and people willl look at the animal and see ribs showing........and think you're not caring for them........they have no idea what the animal looked like BEFFORE, which was much worse.....eyes that are dripping with infection, wounds, severe digestive disease, lameness, intestinal parasites, etc. As a matter of fact, some of them are so traumatized, they won't even eat or drink.

It can often take months and even years to get an animal back to even looking close to normal. Sometimes, they have to be euthanized because you just can't fix them.

At any rate, I'm sure there are some negligent resuces. This may be one of them. There are also some that get in over their heads, it's tremendously expensive, they rely on donations in an economic downturn that fail to materialize, etc.

My understanding is that back in the 80s when they were founded, this rescue won awards and had the best vets etc. working there, and lots of neat community events. SOMETHING HAPPENED since then, that is for sure, if this report is true.

One of the things I read is that they exist totally on donations and volunteers. They used to have 400 volunteers from the local woman's prison on work release, but there was some bru ha hah about "inmates" were loose, etc. some political stuff. So that whole program was suspended. Not sure how many donations and volunteers you need to care for 100 horses......probably a lot, and it probably stopped materializing.

A lot of sensationalized PETA stuff also will show photos of dead animals at a rescue.......but the animals have only just arrived and died within 48 hours or something. At any rate, who knows. :confused:

I just think most people would be traumatized if they saw the state of animals, dogs, cats, horses, donkeys, etc. that enter rescues. It will give you nightmares for life if you let it.

WinterTriangle
10-23-2010, 07:40 AM
Oh dear.

The horse in the photo came in from that rescue in W.V. :eek:

Nevertheless, do dilligent research and continue to donate to horse rescues. I hate to see articles like this because it might make people cynical and they will stop donating.

There's got to be more to this story. There isn't enough $$$ in starting a rescue, so that couldn't be why they got into it.

Bruddah
10-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Oh dear.

The horse in the photo came in from that rescue in W.V. :eek:

Nevertheless, do dilligent research and continue to donate to horse rescues. I hate to see articles like this because it might make people cynical and they will stop donating.

There's got to be more to this story. There isn't enough $$$ in starting a rescue, so that couldn't be why they got into it.

I am not sure if this rescue is guilty or not, but WT certainly gives an insiders view, as to why some, if not all, could be in jeopardy. I am sure that keeping their visions and purpose going is costly and difficult on a daily basis. Especially in this economy.

It's difficult to be critical of others, unless you've walked in their shoes. I just wrote a check to our local animal rescue. It doesn't matter what type of animal is rescued, we are given stewardship over them all.

Thanks WT for sharing your experiences. :ThmbUp:

takeout
10-23-2010, 06:10 PM
There's got to be more to this story. There isn't enough $$$ in starting a rescue, so that couldn't be why they got into it.Good point. Thank you for those posts. I admit to being largely enlightened. I had never really thought about how bad off many of the horses are when they arrive at a rescue place. The people that should be doing hard time are the ones that put them in that shape to begin with.

JustRalph
10-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Please refer back to the original thread for more info

http://paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75385&highlight=days+rescue

and I issue my challenge once again ........ I have donated again..........

WinterTriangle
10-23-2010, 07:00 PM
The people that should be doing hard time are the ones that put them in that shape to begin with.

Many breeders, trainers, owners are willing to take horses back. The problem is the horses never find their way back.

Animals may go thru many hands before they "end up in this shape", making it difficult to pin down a perp.

$15K is pocket change for a rescue as it goes very fast for medical stuff. Well-meaning people start rescues, having underestimated the volunteerism they will be depending on, and the $$ they don't get.

I have a feeling that's what happened to this place.

joanied
10-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Not much more I can add, Winter T's post is excellent:ThmbUp: ...and right on point. Also, as bruddah said, it doesn't matter what the animal is, horse, dogs, cats...we are their stewards. Hell, I beleive one of my purposes in life is to care for animals (I also worked rescue, back in NY at the Northshore Animal Center)...I will never understand how some people can do this to an animal...if I had my way, I'd have this farm loaded with rescues. One of our dogs is a rescue and I donate to about 10 or 12 organizations...mostly the horse rescues, but also 4 or 5 dog & cat rescue organizations...IMO, these creatures are the best gift God gave to man.

thaskalos
10-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Not much more I can add, Winter T's post is excellent:ThmbUp: ...and right on point. Also, as bruddah said, it doesn't matter what the animal is, horse, dogs, cats...we are their stewards. Hell, I beleive one of my purposes in life is to care for animals (I also worked rescue, back in NY at the Northshore Animal Center)...I will never understand how some people can do this to an animal...if I had my way, I'd have this farm loaded with rescues. One of our dogs is a rescue and I donate to about 10 or 12 organizations...mostly the horse rescues, but also 4 or 5 dog & cat rescue organizations...IMO, these creatures are the best gift God gave to man.You can learn a lot about a person's character by the way he/she treats animals...and waiters.

Trust me...

Bruddah
10-23-2010, 09:09 PM
You can learn a lot about a person's character by the way he/she treats animals...and waiters.

Trust me...

You get an Amen Bruddah! I hate to see either abused. It can ruin my day and dinner. :ThmbUp:

joanied
10-24-2010, 10:59 AM
You can learn a lot about a person's character by the way he/she treats animals...and waiters.

Trust me...

Absolutely:ThmbUp: ...and you can really take it further...by how a person treats all people and animals.