PDA

View Full Version : Airports -- Full Body Scanners

highnote
10-22-2010, 08:16 PM
What are your thoughts about full body scanners in airports?

Janet Napolitano of Homeland Security unveiled some new ones today at JFK, but wouldn't subject herself to them.

If she wouldn't, why should I?

boxcar
10-22-2010, 08:35 PM

Janet Napolitano of Homeland Security unveiled some new ones today at JFK, but wouldn't subject herself to them.

If she wouldn't, why should I?

It's understandable why she wouldn't. She didn't want security to see all her missing circuitry.

Boxcar

johnhannibalsmith
10-22-2010, 09:16 PM
...If she wouldn't, why should I?

Well, for one thing, you'd never see her again as long as you stayed in it.

johnhannibalsmith
10-22-2010, 09:27 PM
But seriously folks...

This is one of those things in life that I'd allow the will of the people decide for me.

I'd just assume re-raise with the attitude that having the liberty and resolve to live without airport security is best and as a sign of national pride be willing to risk our lives for that liberty, but I know that wouldn't be a popular strategy. Maybe in principal, but not in practice.

If the people decide that the intrusion is justified and won't merely be a case of locking a door so your window gets broken... then, I'm okay with it, I guess. It's one of those areas, security, where I bend a little bit on principal and feel like supporting the majority opinion is generally better than pressing on with my own irrelevant, antiquated, or idealist notions.

I don't need to fly. Anywhere I need to go to I can get to by foot, horse, or automobile, so I wouldn't have any problem simply eliminating air travel as a possibility and solving my own problem.

highnote
10-22-2010, 09:50 PM
I plan on asking for a pat down.

Last time I flew I had a baseball cap on. I was instructed to remove it before security would let me through the gate.

Right behind me was a middle eastern woman wearing a head scarf. She was not asked to remove it.

They don't ask people to take their pants off, why should a hat be treated any differently? (actually, it's worse. now they want to see you naked using a scanner.) Maybe I should strip down naked while I'm in line? :D

No one likes to be descriminated against. I certainly didn't like it.

Rookies
10-22-2010, 10:01 PM
I fly.

During the present climate, I'm okay with it.

But ZERO exemptions and no capturing of the images for posterity, other than immediate arrest. I'd have to see that.

Tom
10-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Face it, our airport security is a joke and will never be effective.
I used to fly very often, but I will never fly again. Between muslims flying, airlines losing money, and unions running maintenance and security, I will do with out it.

Take a lesson fro Israel - where security is taken seriously.

lamboguy
10-23-2010, 12:56 AM
[QUOTE=Tom]Face it, our airport security is a joke and will never be effective.
I used to fly very often, but I will never fly again. Between muslims flying, airlines losing money, and unions running maintenance and security, I will do with out it.

Take a lesson fro Israel - where security is taken seriously.[/QUOTE i don't blame you. i don't go anywhere either, i stay home all day, i don't even trust the public transportation, or a mcdonald, or the ballpark, or a wallmart. if they are going to get me at home they are going to have to be extremely tricky.

johnhannibalsmith
10-23-2010, 01:07 AM
i don't blame you. i don't go anywhere either, i stay home all day, i don't even trust the public transportation, or a mcdonald, or the ballpark, or a wallmart. if they are going to get me at home they are going to have to be extremely tricky.

I hear ya... hey, where do you live Lambo?

NJ Stinks
10-23-2010, 01:26 AM
Face it, our airport security is a joke and will never be effective.

No wonder you are so provincial.

Go somewhere for crying out loud.

bigmack
10-23-2010, 01:40 AM
I requested a photocopy of my scan. With a little help from a chum I call PhotoShop I printed up T-Shirts with my scan on the front.

I wear it to 'singles bars' & approach vulnerable freight and quietly say -

Wow, long flight. If they respond, long what?, I move to phase 2. :rolleyes:

I kid.

Robert Goren
10-23-2010, 09:26 AM
It is all Bush's fault.:rolleyes:

Rookies
10-23-2010, 10:26 AM
No wonder you are so provincial.

Go somewhere for crying out loud.

NO KIDDING!

I am on another sports site related to my beloved football team, the Buffalo Shills. ;) I never ceased to be amazed at the number of people from W.N.Y. who declare that they have NEVER been across the Canada-U.S. border (within a 20 mile radius of their homes), let alone anywhere else outside the U.S. or maybe away from Tonawanda or finally their mother's basement. Provincial ? No hidebound, insular, cloistered in their ignorance the world. What is wrong with these people?

Contrast with my b-in-law, who packed up his family from small town PA and spent 20-25 years working in Saudi Arabia. The entire family has been to a majority of countries in the world and now well retired at 55, he travels the world and lives far away from America. My better half has been to Western Ireland, Egypt and Italy in the past 3 years alone. My daughter has been to Europe 6x, including a 16 day trip a month ago featuring 7 Euro capitals and not the normal ones.

Open your horizons and smell the java!

Tom
10-23-2010, 10:51 AM
I went to Jersey once. It killed travel for me. :eek:

I used to travel a lot - not worths the hassle anymore. I used to go to Woodbine every year, but I'll be damned if I pay for a passport. I have top pay travel where I have been going for decades, but any POS with legs can waltz in over the southern border?????

Buffalo Bills, huh?
I feel sorry for you. They have been rebuilding for what, 50 years now? :lol:

chickenhead
10-23-2010, 02:47 PM
when the price comes down I plan on putting one in my foyer. I'll need to get a foyer too, but I got time I figure.

Tom
10-23-2010, 04:00 PM
when the price comes down I plan on putting one in my foyer. I'll need to get a foyer too, but I got time I figure.

So, no need to dress for dinner?
Hey, it's always good to see more of the neighbors.

prospector
10-23-2010, 04:52 PM

probably better than watching those little pay tv's...
as far as janet...how wide is the screen?

cj's dad
10-24-2010, 11:01 AM

I hate them - they are very invasive.

I do however feel some modicum of empathy for the poor soul tucked away in some room at the airport looking at me in all my glory !!

Tom
10-24-2010, 11:05 AM
I hate them - they are very invasive.

I do however feel some modicum of empathy for the poor soul tucked away in some room at the airport looking at me in all my glory !!

Keep an eye on eBay.
Would you really trust those semi-humans that pose as AP security with anything?

Never forget, it was an AP security man - in Boston, who allowed 9-11 to go on as planned by being a lazy POS and not doing his job. He let them walk right on.