PDA

View Full Version : GoogleTV

chickenhead
10-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Posted from my TV, while watching the Giants Phils picture in picture. My TV is now officially smarter than the people watching it.

JustRalph
10-21-2010, 11:04 PM
I have been using a Roku box for about two weeks now.......works well and only 59-99 bucks........so far it is pretty good

Mostly use it to stream netflix..........to the big tv in my Family room

Very interested in Google TV
I would like to hear how you like it after a few days

www.roku.com

bigmack
10-22-2010, 12:54 AM
My TV is now officially smarter than the people watching it.
BM: Is not
chickenhead: Is so
BM: Is not

Costco is 'giving away' 46" ready to go WiFi for $1400! I got a couple.

I'm beginning to hate Google. They pumped a pile of loot into 'No on 23' in CA.

http://www.google.com/tv/

CBedo
10-22-2010, 01:00 AM
Posted from my TV, while watching the Giants Phils picture in picture. My TV is now officially smarter than the people watching it.Sony TV? Or is the Logitech box out?

chickenhead
10-22-2010, 01:36 AM
I played with both setups, I didnt like the logitech keyboard nearly as much as the Sony remote. The sony remote is very compact and ergonomic. I didnt see any of the smaller more expensive logitech remotes around to play with.

I played with it for about half hour to be sure I liked the UI and what it could do, it's pretty slick. it's not immediately obvious though, which'll probably scare a lot of people off. It took me a good 15 minutes to figure out what was going on, which is kind of a long time.

Wanted a new TV anyway, so I went with the 40'' TV rather than the BR box.

I see where they're going with this, with the UI, it puts all content in one place to find, web video, cable, DVR, puts it all on equal footing, same UI to get at it all. So far I like it a lot, look forward to seeing what they have planned.

CBedo
10-22-2010, 01:46 AM
I don't think I'll be a first generation purchaser, but I'm definitely very interested, and will be interested to see how things go for you.

I've just invested too much money in tvs in the last year to think about buying new tvs, so I'd be more interested in the Logitech Revue (or whatever it's called), and other options going forward. Currently, I just have my 27 inch iMac hooked to my 46 inch Samsung LED HD by HDMI (and lots of adapters).

Also, I think I read that there is some integration if you are a DISH subscriber. I'll be interested to hear about that. I'm currently a DirectTV guy, but as I watch less and less of the NFL package, there might be a change in the future. A couple friends of mine are going totally streaming, either through XBox, Roku, or Apple TV, and getting rid of their cable/sat connection altogether, but at least for now, I still need the feed for live sports.

serp
10-22-2010, 09:42 AM
I'm definitely going to get one but it'll probably be 2nd gen as well.

chickenhead
10-22-2010, 10:05 AM
yeah I'm not usually an early adopter -- I'm banking that the hardware they've got in place is good enough for what they have planned for several years. Already had a sw upgrade when I booted it for the first time -- I'm banking a bit on Google doing their standard fast iteration, and Sony understanding these aren't phones and need to be supported for quite some time.

The logitech has deeper ties into the DirectTV, I think you can solely use the GTv UI for everything. I have Comcast, so the Google UI dumps me into the Comcast menu for some things.

Beautiful TV, in any case.

chickenhead
12-17-2010, 09:05 PM
so they just made their first update. Has a much better Netflix app now (better than whats on my Roku at this point, altho I havent fired it up for a month or so, maybe they've refreshed that too).

Overall it's much snappier, responds better, web is faster. You can move the picture in picture around, that is much better. If I remember when they released it it was using Chrome 6, I don't think that has changed yet. So I expect further improvement when they roll up to a later version.

They also released an Android app for controlling everything, works like a champ, faster than using the remote for most things. It's fairly slick.

I'd still call it beta, but this first update makes everything noticeably better.