PDA

View Full Version : Exterminator

Suff
09-13-2003, 04:39 AM
I got curious about the other geldings to have won the Kentucky Derby. What Path should Funncide take? Here's one story about one gelding that won the kentucky Derby and what he did after.

Last night I was reading about another Kentucky Derby Winner that was a Gelding. I fell in love with another Horse. What a story....and what a horse. I'

Exterminator. During the era of Man o' War he was another great, Exterminator, a grand gelding with an incredible record. He ran 100 times from ages 2 through 9, winning 50 and on the board 84 times, all the whole carrying great weights.

Bought simply to work with a Kentucky Derby Prospect by the name of Sun Briar. Exterminator orginally sold for $1500.00

He won Graded races at 16 different Tracks

He won for 9 different Trainers

He won 10 of 17 starts in 3 of his 9 racing years.

He won at 5 and 6 Furlongs

He won at a Mile

He set the Track Record going 2 miles at Belmont in the August Gold Cup

He set the track Record going a Mile and 3/4's to win the Saratoga cup

He won at 138 pounds many times.

In his book A Sound of Horses David Alexander wrote that starter Mars Cassidy purposely placed Exterminator next to a bad actor at the post "because the bony gelding would lean against the fractious horse and hold him still." He also mentioned the great horse's habit of bowing "politely to the crowds in recognition of the applause his winning performances received." The late writer also described Exterminator as "one of those deceptively mild-mannered, affectionate horses... Lincolnesque, completely determined, utterly dependable."

After many years of quiet retirement with his various ponies on Kilmer's lush pastures, Old Bones, age 28, made his last public appearance. Vanned from New Market, Virginia to Belmont Park (October 2, 1943), Exterminator and Peanuts paraded down the Belmont stretch and helped sell $25 million worth of War Bonds. The beloved old war horse lived to be 30.

In his autobiography Matt Winn wrote an affectionate tribute:

"When he was young, he met older horses, and he whipped them. As the years began to pile onto him, he met the sprightly youngsters, and whipped them. He received no handicapping favors in any year of his career; never needed any. He cared not abot distance, or track conditions, climate, or geography. He always knew where the finish line was, and a long distance view of it was the only inspiration he needed for a gallant stretch charge that made every audience roar: 'Here comes Exterminator.'

Bubbles
09-18-2003, 05:43 PM
I have no clue how I know this, I just do.

Exterminator not only won the Derby, but he won one of the greatest stretch duels in Thoroughbred history.

Gray Lag, a very good horse, was getting a respectable amount of weight from Ex. As they spun out into the stretch, the two hooked up, and the race was on.

Ex was on the inside of his younger rival, and neither gave in. The crowd was going crazy, as it was just those two. With seventy yards to go, Exterminator stuck his head out in front and won by the length of it. This was one iron horse, and even more respected now that horses routinely only get eight, nine starts in their careers.

Observer
09-18-2003, 10:00 PM
I'm confused ... :confused:

You say:

Originally posted by Bubbles
Ex was on the inside of his younger rival

If this was the Derby .. aren't they all the same age??? Or are you talking about in actual age, not racing age?? (Sorry, I know .. I'm a pain-in-the-butt).
:D

Edited to say .. or maybe you're not talking about the Derby .. since you also say they're carrying different weights.