PDA

View Full Version : Racetrack myths

kenwoodallpromos
09-12-2003, 04:29 PM
What would you think about the idea of a book of racetrack/ handicapping mytrhs and a reason why they are true or not true, written as a thread on this board? PA could publish and sell it to defray costs of this board? Evberyone could contribute and PA could put everybody in the book! Even if only people whose ideas are in the book bought it, it would sell well!

Valuist
09-12-2003, 04:53 PM
My favorite myth: 3YOs can't beat older horses. We're getting to that time of year where this gets to be very profitable taking the 3YOs against the older horses in conditioned allowances and stakes.

kenwoodallpromos
09-12-2003, 07:46 PM
That's the format I had in minmd. There could be a special pay thread to access the thrtead here, and for sale on ebay or handicappiong book outlets, exchange banners.

Tom
09-12-2003, 08:16 PM
How much do I get? I Want the percentage to be based on total number of posts - the more posts, the more points you get!
Hehehehehehe! :p :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

B. Comin'
09-12-2003, 08:30 PM
Tom, you greedy monkee!

JustRalph
09-12-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Tom
How much do I get? I Want the percentage to be based on total number of posts - the more posts, the more points you get!
Hehehehehehe! :p :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

Can we pay you in Bananas..........

Lefty
09-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Mitchell wrote a similar book yrs ago. I'll have to "dig" it out.

kenwoodallpromos
09-15-2003, 12:31 AM
Mitchell's book probably did not have hundreds of myths exposed! Tom- the person who knows the most myths needs to recoup the most losing bets!LOL!

shanta
09-15-2003, 11:27 AM
my fav one is " the more info i can get (breeding,trn/jock, models,profiles,hoof conformation,accurate pace numbers,class rankings etc) the more money i will win at the track!

hurrikane
09-15-2003, 01:29 PM
there are a whole slew of them concerning morniing works but I've decided to just leave it alone. :D

Valuist
09-18-2003, 10:16 PM
Here's another one: "Turfway Park is all inside speed."

Reality: The inside at Turfway has been deader than Johnny Cash since the meet started. Some decent betbacks once the circuit switches to Keeneland.

kitts
09-19-2003, 02:46 PM
Mitchell's book was good for me. I had been playing horses 40 years and losing. I did not realize how many of these myths I had been holding on to.

Show Me the Wire
09-19-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
Here's another one: "Turfway Park is all inside speed."

Reality: The inside at Turfway has been deader than Johnny Cash since the meet started. Some decent betbacks once the circuit switches to Keeneland.

May have something to do with the new racing surface. Additionally, I have heard Hawthorne has a new and improved surface for the up coming meet. Another update regarding surfaces relates to Oaklawn. Oaklawn repaired the base which required the removal and replacement of the surface.

EEEKS, more information to take into account!!!!

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Valuist
09-19-2003, 03:37 PM
Actually Turfway's opening day was a great rail. But by 2 days later it became all outside. I wasn't aware of the new surface but there's something about that track that makes it very much a horse-for-course track.

I'm curious to see how Hawthorne is. Historically, speed was great until the weather started to get considerably colder. Then it would get sub-freezing and they'd put all kinds of chemicals and dump tons of sand on it. A group of horses might run 6f in 1:10 during the warm weather and then 1:13 when it was cold.

SMTW-you're an Indy guy, right? What did you think of Indy Downs? I've been to the simulcast facility twice but haven't seen any live racing there.

Show Me the Wire
09-19-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
Actually Turfway's opening day was a great rail. But by 2 days later........SMTW-you're an Indy guy, right? What did you think of Indy Downs? I've been to the simulcast facility twice but haven't seen any live racing there.

Racing myth that SMtW is from Indiana. SMtW resides in Illinois near AP and is not in attendance today due to the lousy card and weather.

To answer your question I have never been to Indiana Downs.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Valuist
09-21-2003, 11:27 PM
I live about 5 miles from AP (in Mt. Prospect). But I probably go to Oakbrook or Maywood as often as I'm at Arlington. Always so crowded at AP.

Show Me the Wire
09-21-2003, 11:51 PM
Oakbrook has a larger crowd on Wednesday than AP. With Hawthorne opening I will be spending more time in Oakbrook and South Elgin. The negative with South Elgin is the inability to obtain the next days DRF. until late at night. That will force me to patronize Oakbrook more often.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Valuist
09-22-2003, 01:47 PM
Funny story about South Elgin. Illinois OTB used to offer a Pick 5 contest every Friday. You can use 5 horses in the first leg, 4 in the 2nd, etc, etc. The OTB would have $500 in prize money to be split among the winners. Not a good deal at an OTB like Oakbrook, which is packed. But a new OTB like South Elgin, there would be almost nobody in there. A guy I know went there twice for it and was the only winner and took home the $500. He said there was probably less than 10 people he was competing against. I think they will start this contest up again when Hawthorne starts. I'll probably go to South Elgin to participate.