PDA

View Full Version : Types of races

Harmonicaslim
10-18-2010, 03:32 PM
A recent review of my data told me what I already knew: That in Maiden sprints I seem to be able to win, and in all other types of races and distances I'm a compltete failure. In my last 800 races, I'm at 31% winners with an roi of 1.12. In every other situation, I don't even approach break even. Should I be happy that there seems to be something I can do right and concentrate on that? I don't pretend to be the expert some of you guys are, but do you concentrate on certain types of races and distances and leave the rest alone? All the best to you.

Thanks,

Slim

markgoldie
10-18-2010, 04:11 PM
A recent review of my data told me what I already knew: That in Maiden sprints I seem to be able to win, and in all other types of races and distances I'm a compltete failure. In my last 800 races, I'm at 31% winners with an roi of 1.12. In every other situation, I don't even approach break even. Should I be happy that there seems to be something I can do right and concentrate on that? I don't pretend to be the expert some of you guys are, but do you concentrate on certain types of races and distances and leave the rest alone? All the best to you.

Thanks,

Slim
Well, it's pretty simple to respond to your questions. Yes, you should stick to the maiden sprints. Why would you want to bet into negative situations?

And yes, the best players restrict their play to certain situations. These situations may be far different than simply a given class and distance. For example, the situations may evolve around a particular numbers' configuration in a certain size field. Or they may revolve around many different positive-expectation angles.

thaskalos
10-18-2010, 04:20 PM

Thanks,

SlimJust like most horses have a preferred distance, most horseplayers have a preferred bet type, or race type...they are just not aware of it because they seldom keep detailed records.

Stick with the maiden sprints and rest assured that, with full-card simulcasting, you will get all the action you can handle.

Dave Schwartz
10-18-2010, 05:42 PM
First, I will agree with what these other two learned players have said; bet what you are good at.

If you are happy being successful at just one type of race and you are getting all the action you want, then you should have a good time of this racing thing. But if you aren't...

...Beyond that I would suggest that you spend time trying to understand what is different between the approach you use in maiden sprints and other races. What makes you excel in those races?

Is your handicapping just that much better? Do you do a better job of assessing value in those races? Or is it something else?

Either you handicap the races the same way and (apparently) shouldn't, or you handicap them differently.

Yours is not an unpleasant struggle at this point.

Personally, I have struggled with maiden and turf races for quite awhile. Suddenly, with my new understanding of form, turf races have become easy to make profit from. Maiden races are still difficult for me by comparison, although I am doing much better and now understand why I didn't before.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

fmolf
10-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Yes you shouldmake the majority of prime wagers on what you do best.What I would do is pick another type of race(turf sprints or 2yo sprints)do the homework..aka..research andtry to better your game by getting a handle on this type of race whichever one you choose.

Harmonicaslim
10-18-2010, 07:48 PM
I appreciate the kind reponses. Frankly though, I don't know why I'm better at MDN sprints. I don't have any system or anything. I just try to find horses with good early pace numbers going of at decent odds. It just seems to work for MDNs.

Thanks,
Slim