PDA

View Full Version : a little help with adwords

JPinMaryland
10-18-2010, 06:06 AM
Okay I set up my adwords account; my clients would typically rely on two key words to get traffic, lets call them: plumbing + copper. So I put these two key words into the traffic estimator on adwords and it says e.g. 17cents/click, generates 5 hits per day for plumbing and similar for copper.

I want to use both words in the same ad....Do I have to pay for each word separately? But I really only want people who want both plumbing and copper not just one. How do I combine a two word search like that? Can I do that?

gee this should be so simple and yet, the help pages dont help me and there is no phone support....
:bang:
Tx.

chickenhead
10-18-2010, 11:45 AM
by keyword they don't really mean a single word, they mean something more like "term". Just put on each line the "meat" of whatever kind of search phrase you think people would type in when they're looking for what you're site relates to.

You should probably target phrases that are already getting you traffic through google, i.e. phrases you already rank well for -- but also the other phrases you wish the site ranked for, where you are on page 2, or further down page 1, for example.

From their docs:

For search keywords, delete generic keywords on your list that could relate to a wide spectrum of products or services. One-word keywords are likely to be too generic, so try using two- or three-word phrases. For example, using the generic keyword bags to promote luggage goods could show your ad to people searching for unrelated items like tea bags and vacuum bags. To make your keywords more specific, add words that are descriptive of your goods or services. Instead of using the keyword bags, try more relevant and descriptive keywords like luggage bags, carry-on travel bags, and buy luggage online.

For Display Network keywords, avoid this by deleting keywords that aren't closely related to the primary ad group theme. Avoid creating keyword lists that could have multiple meanings. For example, creating a Display Network targeted keyword list using the terms java, java advice, java sales, etc. could cause the AdWords system to place your ads on sites related to both coffee and the Java programming language. Instead, be sure to use tightly themed keywords in each ad group that match the content your target audience will be looking at, such as programming with java, java code and java software.

chickenhead
10-18-2010, 12:09 PM
for instance on a site I have, below I can tell from my analytics are the "key words" some people use to find my site. I might go through this list, weed out the ones where the people don't hang out on the site, and focus on building more phrases around the terms where the people hang out on the site a lot (or if you're selling something, build more phrases around the ones where the people bought something)

horse racing partnerships
summit racing
american racing
sovereign stable
whitehall stables
team horseplayer
thoroughbreds
westpoint thoroughbreds
harness racing canada
fantasy lane stables
racehorse partnerships
renpher stable
dream team racing stable
stake your claim stable
mcracehorse
summit racing summit racing
summitracing
american racing logo
racing partnerships
hibiscus stables
bongoracing
thoroughbred racing partnerships
hrc logo
bongo racing
dee tee stables
horse racing logo
steve byk
at the races with steve byk
r betty graybull
horse racing partnership
horse racing
fantasy lane
thoroughbred partnerships
pocket aces racing
west point thoroughbreds
horseplayers racing club
pictures of thoroughbreds
thoroughbred
white hall stable
horse partnerships
brett lindenbaum
american racing club
logo hrc
sovereign stables
derbytrail.com
north american racing
logo racing club
american racing s200
horseplayer
north american racing academy
hrc racing
california pennsylvania
soverign stables
whitehall stable
summitt racing
deetee group
sumit racing
ronney brown
karakorum racing
sovereignstable
logo bintang racing team
racing club
west point
jeff metz
drawing away stable
jennifer bartholomew
pewter stable
thoroughbred racing
pocket aces
summit racing logo
horse racing form
summit racing.com
thoroughbred horse racing
dee tee
deetee
fantasy lane stable
paul garofalo
american raceing
north american racing team
louisiana racing commission
americanracing
louisiana horse racing
thoroughbred horse
thoroughbred pictures
canadian harness racing
american horse racing
california, pennsylvania
standardbred canada
americn racing
www.summit racing.com
great partnerships
racing horses
fantasylane
horse racing clip art
race harness
www.harnessracing.com
american racin
horse racing partnership agreement
partnerships
bull rider clip art
west point ky
horse racing winners circle
summitraceing
my horse likes you
harnessracing
racing club logo
west point, pa
little brown jug harness racing
"horse racing"
logo racing
lecesse
north america drawing
final furlong
wpt
horse logo
westpoint
texas horse
elite stables
betting on horses for dummies
own a racehorse
american racing capital
west florida louisiana
thoroughbred racehorse
steve linden
"west point"
ben root
west delaware
horse race finish line
harness horse racing
fantasy stables
americanracing.com
owning a thoroughbred

JPinMaryland
10-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Yes thanks. I was totally confused by that "keyword enter one key word OR PHRASE on a line." I just glossed over the ONE PHRASE part of that, I guess it the concept is non intuitive and it didnt seem like they wanted me to do it that way...

ANyhow I figured that out. ANother question: what does the Placement tool do on that website? is this how I see what other adverisers are paying for this phrase or word? The interface is hard to understand is there some sort of Dummy's guide to this? I hate using the Help button it almost never helps.

Thanks for the above stuff.

lukoftheenglish
07-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Yes thanks. I was totally confused by that "keyword enter one key word OR PHRASE on a line." I just glossed over the ONE PHRASE part of that, I guess it the concept is non intuitive and it didnt seem like they wanted me to do it that way...

ANyhow I figured that out. ANother question: what does the Placement tool do on that website? is this how I see what other adverisers are paying for this phrase or word? The interface is hard to understand is there some sort of Dummy's guide to this? I hate using the Help button it almost never helps.

Thanks for the above stuff.

There are help guides all over the web, the best tutorials I've used are the YT videos that go through demonstrations with you. Of course Google Adwords training is the most exhaustive resource, but it a big read, and will make you dizzy. :D

The problem with Adwords is that's it's always evolving and can be a full time job to keep on top of the changes. Even though I'm quite familiar with Adwords I hire someone else to manage my account for me.

But to go to the nooks and cranny of what you're asking placement tools are ads placed on banners on third party websites, such as the banners on at the top and bottom of this page.

Placements can be hit and miss, if you have a service that's an exact fit for a web page then it can be useful and convert well but you have to be very selective with it for it to work.

Stick to search and get a solid campaign on there and perhaps then you can branch out to placements.