PDA

View Full Version : Am I not a real fan?

CBedo
10-18-2010, 01:26 AM
I just don't give flying flip about HOY or any of the Eclipse Awards. None of them affect a current or future bet for me, so why waste the time? Does that make me a "degenerate gambler" instead of true horse racing fan? I don't think so, but some might think differently.

letswastemoney
10-18-2010, 01:34 AM
We're all fans for different reasons. If your reason is based on monetary gain, I see no wrong.

Usually, when a horse you bet makes money, you become a fan of that horse for life and root for him/her to do well and win awards. But it's not necessary to become that kind of fan..

Charlie D
10-18-2010, 01:47 AM
Some give weight to certain aspects. An award means frig all to me to be honest, but others think they are of great merit. Similar thing with a win streak.

It's a whatever shakes your tree kind of thing. Nothing wrong with any of it really.

Dave Schwartz
10-18-2010, 02:25 AM
Chris,

I am pretty close to where you are. I really love the game... and I love to watch them run. But it is all about the excitement of this race.

To tell you the truth, while I remember the great horses' names, I rarely remember when they won after a couple of years went by.

Like Let'sWaster said, I remember the bets. Like I recall betting Winning Colors at Saratoga in an allowance race at 1/2. And I recall Boston Brahmin paying $42 at GP in 1975 with $200 on the nose. (I'd love for someone to check the year that if they could.)

Same meet:

Apple Eater, $8.00
Miss Impressive $16.80 (or was that $23.80?)
Fair Rabler $62.00 to place, then won the next time at like $16.00.

I remember these and some others because they were all "tips" - 16 of them in all. 15 wins and 1 second. (And one "dog" at HKC that paid $12.) I started with $5 and ran it into $16k off these 17 races.

So, yes... I remember the horses I bet.

Dave

PS: Apple Eater was the only single-digit bet.

thaskalos
10-18-2010, 03:05 AM
I just don't give flying flip about HOY or any of the Eclipse Awards. None of them affect a current or future bet for me, so why waste the time? Does that make me a "degenerate gambler" instead of true horse racing fan? I don't think so, but some might think differently.Your viewpoint is perfectly acceptable...and in no way does it make you a "degenerate gambler" instead of a true racing fan.

I fear that a degenerate gambler would be someone like myself...

I have become completely disinterested in marquee races like the Triple Crown and the Breeders Cup...unless I have a betting interest in them. In fact, a $5,000 claiming race can generate as much genuine excitement for me as the Kentucky Derby or the BC Classic.

Sad but true...

toussaud
10-18-2010, 03:48 AM
We're all fans for different reasons. If your reason is based on monetary gain, I see no wrong.

Usually, when a horse you bet makes money, you become a fan of that horse for life and root for him/her to do well and win awards. But it's not necessary to become that kind of fan..
i made a crapload of money off big brown, i even hit his maiden race (caught my eye), and i can't think of a horse i hate more than big brown lol. I knew he wasn't as good as everyone was making him out to be, i really did not care for his owners, and he was brittle lol, but i knew no one else was going to beat him either lol and didn't let my viewpoints get in the way of sound handicapping

i could care less about awards either. i care about races. I don't care so much about name races as much as i care about good races. i don't' care about the say, travers, just becuase it's the travers, that's how the old guard seems to think. but you put 5 grade 2 winners in a non graded stakes race and i'm pretty amped. i like GOOD races.

Robert Goren
10-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Don't kid yourself. You are a gambler for sure. Whether you are a "degenerate gambler" or not depends on how much you let it run your life. It has nothing to do whether you are profitable or not. Take a good look in the mirror. If you have let your physical appearance slip, then you need to rethink your priorities.

JBmadera
10-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Your viewpoint is perfectly acceptable...and in no way does it make you a "degenerate gambler" instead of a true racing fan.

I have become completely disinterested in marquee races like the Triple Crown and the Breeders Cup...unless I have a betting interest in them. In fact, a $5,000 claiming race can generate as much genuine excitement for me as the Kentucky Derby or the BC Classic.

Sad but true...

not sad man, you're just interested (like I am) in the handicapping angle of the game. my favorite race? the next race I think I've got an edge. I leave all the zen for prez stuff for the other folks.

Steve R
10-18-2010, 02:12 PM
i made a crapload of money off big brown, i even hit his maiden race (caught my eye), and i can't think of a horse i hate more than big brown lol. I knew he wasn't as good as everyone was making him out to be, i really did not care for his owners, and he was brittle lol, but i knew no one else was going to beat him either lol and didn't let my viewpoints get in the way of sound handicapping...[snip]
Not to change the point, but I am intrigued by the statement that you knew Big Brown "wasn't as good as everyone was making him out to be". Seven wins in eight lifetime starts, $3.6 million, two classics (one of them the fastest ever according to the Sheets guys), four G1s and he defeated older horses as a 3yo on grass in his only try on turf. That field included the winners of about two dozen graded turf races. I could be wrong, but it seems to me he was one race away from being considered among the best ever.

Stillriledup
10-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Wait, doesn't everybody go to the track specifically to win money?

:eek:

Beachbabe
10-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Your viewpoint is perfectly acceptable...and in no way does it make you a "degenerate gambler" instead of a true racing fan.

Sad but true...

What he said !!!

Phantombridgejumpe
10-18-2010, 02:36 PM
at least by me...he'd have to be considered clean (and I don't think he was).

Big Brown comes close to another BB in my book, Barry Bonds

Judge Gallivan
10-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Not to change the point, but I am intrigued by the statement that you knew Big Brown "wasn't as good as everyone was making him out to be". Seven wins in eight lifetime starts, $3.6 million, two classics (one of them the fastest ever according to the Sheets guys), four G1s and he defeated older horses as a 3yo on grass in his only try on turf. . That field included the winners of about two dozen graded turf races. I could be wrong, but it seems to me he was one race away from being considered among the best ever.

His second try on turf. He won his maiden race on turf.

As a matter of fact most people didn't think BB was much good since his BSF's were relatively low ( Beyer increased his Florida Derby fig and all figs at Gulfstream at 1 1/8 miles after renovation but that was after he retired).

He was sort of like Zenyatta on this board since some people believed that he was better than his speed figures (in his case because he ran very wide in Kentucky Derby and wasn't extended in Preakness) and Curlin was sort of like Rachel Alexandra since most people here believed he would beat Big Brown by a pole.

And of course there was a steroid issue even though steroids were legal and just about all other horses were using them.

CBedo
10-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Don't kid yourself. You are a gambler for sure. Whether you are a "degenerate gambler" or not depends on how much you let it run your life. It has nothing to do whether you are profitable or not. Take a good look in the mirror. If you have let your physical appearance slip, then you need to rethink your priorities.My physical appearance slipped long before I I became serious about my horseracing! ;)

DaylightDies
10-18-2010, 03:40 PM
The people who aren't real fans are the ones who don't care about the horses, the jockeys, etc well being and only care about their ROI.

Cardus
10-18-2010, 04:01 PM
The people who aren't real fans are the ones who don't care about the horses, the jockeys, etc well being and only care about their ROI.

Joanied, Winter Triangle, and I agree.

Dave Schwartz
10-18-2010, 05:35 PM
"Don't care" is perhaps a bit harsh. That sounds like we could care less about what happens to them; jockeys in wheelchairs, horses-turned-dog food. I think I speak for all of us when I say that nothing could be farther from the truth.

Personally, I support the sport. I am pro-horse, pro-jockey, pro-racing and even pro-race track, because without them there is no sport. (The trick is to get them to see that the bettors are important as well.)

I am thinking that Derek Jeter really likes baseball. I believe that he cares about the players, even beyond his own teammates. But when he is in the batter's box, there is just him and the pitcher. This is their moment.

That is how I am with racing. Derek and I live for our moments of pressure.

Dave

highnote
10-18-2010, 05:50 PM
"Don't care" is perhaps a bit harsh. That sounds like we could care less about what happens to them; jockeys in wheelchairs, horses-turned-dog food. I think I speak for all of us when I say that nothing could be farther from the truth.

Personally, I support the sport. I am pro-horse, pro-jockey, pro-racing and even pro-race track, because without them there is no sport. (The trick is to get them to see that the bettors are important as well.)

I am thinking that Derek Jeter really likes baseball. I believe that he cares about the players, even beyond his own teammates. But when he is in the batter's box, there is just him and the pitcher. This is their moment.

Dave

Well put.

fmolf
10-18-2010, 05:57 PM
I love the pomp and circumstance of the "big race days" but i really only care about the wagering opportunities these days may afford me....pools swollen with the casual fans monies.Callous maybe,while not deriving any serious income from it yet ,i take losing very hard.

Dave Schwartz
10-18-2010, 06:09 PM
I love the pomp and circumstance of the "big race days" but i really only care about the wagering opportunities these days may afford me....pools swollen with the casual fans monies.Callous maybe,while not deriving any serious income from it yet ,i take losing very hard.

Molf-the-Wolf,

Oh, you callous guy. :ThmbUp:

Like they say at EA Sports, "It's all in the game!"

Dave

Cardus
10-18-2010, 06:14 PM

Dave

I genuinely believe that there are people in grandstands, clubhouses, the backstretch, and simulcast outlets that don't care much for the safety and well-being of the horses.

Cardus
10-18-2010, 06:21 PM

Dave

How hard were you laughing as you typed this?

Steve R
10-18-2010, 06:44 PM
His second try on turf. He won his maiden race on turf.

As a matter of fact most people didn't think BB was much good since his BSF's were relatively low ( Beyer increased his Florida Derby fig and all figs at Gulfstream at 1 1/8 miles after renovation but that was after he retired).

He was sort of like Zenyatta on this board since some people believed that he was better than his speed figures (in his case because he ran very wide in Kentucky Derby and wasn't extended in Preakness) and Curlin was sort of like Rachel Alexandra since most people here believed he would beat Big Brown by a pole.

And of course there was a steroid issue even though steroids were legal and just about all other horses were using them.
Sorry, I had forgotten about the maiden race. Speed figures aside, had he won the Belmont and retired an undefeated TC winner, I can't imagine that 20 or 30 years from now he wouldn't be considered among the all-time elites. Incidentally, Timeform rated him the co-second best 3yo of 2008, just one pound below Raven's Pass and better than the best rankings of either Zenyatta or Rachel Alexandra or Curlin as a 3yo .

fmolf
10-18-2010, 06:47 PM
How hard were you laughing as you typed this?
In a certain type of way...Our hearts are beating just as hard as an athletes and we are just as nervous with a large bet on the line as Jeter in the playoffs....GO TEXAS!!.....(disgruntled and jealous Mets fan! :mad: )........Horse and jockey safety is of primary concern.....air vests look to have some promise....

DaylightDies
10-18-2010, 07:08 PM
I genuinely believe that there are people in grandstands, clubhouses, the backstretch, and simulcast outlets that don't care much for the safety and well-being of the horses.

That was what I was getting at.

I don't think there is anybody like that here. But they are out there, big time.

bisket
10-18-2010, 07:15 PM
degenerate gambler? no way. i've been tooting zenyatta's horn all year, but i'm putting together a wager that will bet against her...

if i've got a good angle on a 5k allowance thats just as fun as watching the derby and classic. what really makes watching the derby and the classic fun is when i've got a chunk of change on 30 to 40-1 and i know the horse has got a shot. sorta like this years classic. woohooo!! da bisket finally gets a new pair of lucky underwear on the first saturday of...... november? :cool: the second saturday in june turned out to be a real disappointment. :faint:

Cardus
10-18-2010, 08:06 PM
In a certain type of way...Our hearts are beating just as hard as an athletes and we are just as nervous with a large bet on the line as Jeter in the playoffs....GO TEXAS!!.....(disgruntled and jealous Mets fan! :mad: )........Horse and jockey safety is of primary concern.....air vests look to have some promise....

I think that he was joking with using Derek Jeter and Dave Schwartz in the same sentence.

therussmeister
10-18-2010, 09:19 PM
I just don't give flying flip about HOY or any of the Eclipse Awards. None of them affect a current or future bet for me, so why waste the time? Does that make me a "degenerate gambler" instead of true horse racing fan? I don't think so, but some might think differently.
I agree with you almost completely. The only difference is I'm definitely not a degenerate gambler, because I don't like gambling either, although I do it to support myself. My motivation is entirely about improving my handicapping skills and wagering strategies. I don't ever refer to myself as a horse racing fan, because I'm not.