PDA

View Full Version : BrisNet Data File Format Change

thoroughbred
10-17-2010, 03:56 PM
I've heard that there may have been a recent change in the format or structure of the BrisNet, comma delimited, single file, data file.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks.

ranchwest
10-18-2010, 10:01 AM
I know that in the Multicaps files, I haven't identified the data in fields 1375, 1376 and 1377.

dartman51
10-18-2010, 01:29 PM
I know that in the Multicaps files, I haven't identified the data in fields 1375, 1376 and 1377.

According to their website, fields 1375 - 1382 are reserved. :)

michiken
10-18-2010, 01:36 PM
I wonder if they put hidden code in these fields so they can track each user ? (so that they don't resell the data).

With the way a server works these days, a unique zip file could be created for each user. Hmmmm.

DJofSD
10-18-2010, 01:58 PM
I haven't D/L any data files from BRIS since the DMR meeting ended.

When were these changes suppose to have been made? I just checked the Custom PP Generator and it is still the same version they've had up for many months. Not that it would prove anything conclusively but if a major change to the input files to the PP Generator were to be made, I would expect a new update to that BRIS program.

ranchwest
10-18-2010, 09:27 PM
According to their website, fields 1375 - 1382 are reserved. :)

There are a lot of fields that are supposed to be "reserved", but hold data. I've figured out what a number of those fields are.

When I've called BRIS, they won't tell me what's in the data that I bought. They say they don't want to disclose field contents for fields that have not been made permanent. I say that if I use such data then that's my concern, not their's. I paid for the data, I should be allowed to know what it is.

DJofSD
10-18-2010, 09:33 PM
You only rent the data. See the copyright notice used at the bottom of the PP Generator output. Ownership implies you can do anything you want with it. That's not true. And before you jump down my throat, I agree with you, I paid for it, it's located on my computer, it's mine. I'm trying to point out there is a legal aspect to downloading data from BRIS and their assertions are the data is still theirs, not yours.

ranchwest
10-18-2010, 09:43 PM
You only rent the data. See the copyright notice used at the bottom of the PP Generator output. Ownership implies you can do anything you want with it. That's not true. And before you jump down my throat, I agree with you, I paid for it, it's located on my computer, it's mine. I'm trying to point out there is a legal aspect to downloading data from BRIS and their assertions are the data is still theirs, not yours.

If I rented it, wouldn't I need to return it?

I know all about copyrights, but I'm not tryhing to violate the copyright. I'm trying to find out what I paid to get.

raybo
10-19-2010, 07:19 AM
What does the data look like?

CBedo
10-19-2010, 11:44 AM
I wonder if they put hidden code in these fields so they can track each user ? (so that they don't resell the data).

With the way a server works these days, a unique zip file could be created for each user. Hmmmm.I think you're probably giving them too much credit, but it would be easy to check. Just pick a date, and compare your data to someone else's

raybo
10-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Yeah, it's pretty much standard procedure for Brisnet to add data to previously "reserved" fields for a while, and, if enough people complain about it not being annotated in the data file structure, maybe they will update it to include the new data.

The last update they made to the MCP data file structure was in 2007 when they added the race shapes fields. There have been several additions since then and none have been updated in the structure yet.

Brisnet has not been doing too well with this kind of stuff since the big change-over. I know I used to email them and would get answers very quickly to my questions. Lately that hasn't been the case.

cj
10-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Brisnet has not been doing too well with this kind of stuff since the big change-over. I know I used to email them and would get answers very quickly to my questions. Lately that hasn't been the case.

I agree. I wrote them three days ago about a Los Al Comprehensive Chart file missing the first two races in one of the six files. I guess they'll get around to it eventually.