PDA

View Full Version : Single Cat Cooking

bigmack
10-17-2010, 03:59 AM
Got a wife? Don't know how to cook?

Buzz-off. This thread is for cats that cook for themselves.

Lesson 1: Revisit the way you enter a world of the beloved Grilled Cheese Sandwich.

The Inside/Outside Technique:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlTCkNkfmRY&feature=player_embedded

This is nice.

illinoisbred
10-17-2010, 07:22 AM
That was really nice! I'll also take a side dish of macaroni and cheese. What a meal!!

johnhannibalsmith
10-17-2010, 11:55 AM
That's over my head.

3 Mama Stouffer's Spag & Meatballs
1 40 ct. box of Bagel Bite Pizza things
1 6 ct. box of White Castle Cheeseburgers
1 box Red Baron brand pizza somethin'
1 box Pepperidge Farm Cheddar Cheese Goldfish
1 box Cinnamon-sugar Pop Tarts
3 12-pack Mt. Dew
1 coffee/milk/sugar
2 6 pack Gatorade

I use this same list every week. Notice no paper plates. I will get domestic and throw a plate in the washer.

Michelle can bite me with her speeches on eating... I'm twenty-five pounds underweight... kids, print this list out and you too can be as healthy as I am.

DJofSD
10-17-2010, 12:12 PM

Lesson 1: Revisit the way you enter a world of the beloved Grilled Cheese Sandwich.

This is nice.

If there's one thing the internet has done, it is giving that guy (or girl) a chance to learn something as simple as how to make a grilled cheese sandwich without the embarrassment. Almost private one on one lessons are easily had.

BTW, Mack, Bobby Flay was in town yesterday on a book signing tour. I was able to talk to him (quickly) about T'bred racing: he's got a runner in this years BC and he'll be there, so, keep an eye out for one of the better know chefs making a quick appearence during our annual bet-fest!

chickenhead
10-17-2010, 12:17 PM
read a story bout a guy that was out of work in the East Village. So he started a grilled cheese delivery business, operated just like a drug dealer. You got the number from a friend, maybe scribbled on a scrap of paper, you call from anywhere in the East Village, dude says "how many", you say how many, he says "where", you say where. BOOM, 10 to 15 minutes later, dude is there with a bag of grilled cheeses. He was clearing a few hundy a day under the table.

I don't like cooled down grilled cheeses, but in a pinch I can see it.

I cook anything and everything, love it.

JustRalph
10-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Damn, now I am hungry again.........

By accident I clicked on the "Stouffers" in the recipe link above.

The new google dictionary extension for chrome pulls up any word your click on.....this popped right up.........gotta love google.......

bigmack
10-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Growing up in the midwest it's mandatory to know certain dishes. I roll over to a womans joint the other night, she's running late and didn't know what to make for dindin. I corral some chicken thighs, (bone in, skin on) a box of Uncle Ben's wild rice, a can of cream of mushroom soup. Throw the whole schmear in a corningwear dish, throw in oven for 45. As a native Californian she never heard of such a dish. Walked away a hero. Had broccoli on the side which gave me an opportunity to sing Choppin' Broccoli while I was cutting it. Smooth move, I says to myself.

TRW27fyvwCs

Miss Disco
10-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Big Mack, this was cool and fun. I hope your California friend appreciated it!

Grits
10-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Any man that knows how to cook is absolutely worth his weight in gold. There's nothing finer than a couple sharing space in the kitchen cooking a great dinner together. Some nights, the only decision after dinner . . . whose gonna be dessert?:lol:

bigmack
10-18-2010, 09:36 PM
I try and cover all the bases. Done gots the AM dialed-in.

Gave this a whirl a while back. Turned out to be a 'smash hit.'

1btGBuI1qCk&p

It's not the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, it's the Cinnamon-Pecan-Carmelly-Pull-Apart-Thing.

It's decadence defined in a bunt cake design. I've rolled this out a few times. Rolled back in the rack for hours afterwards. :eek:

http://www.thecookingguy.com/cookbook/recipe.php?id=258

DJofSD
10-18-2010, 09:44 PM
"Brown food is good!"

Grits
10-18-2010, 10:56 PM
Mack, you' such a tramp. An easy one with an ego the size of SoCal.:lol:

You get around. Better watch that. It'll getcha dead.

Keep cookin'.:lol:

JustRalph
10-18-2010, 11:33 PM
Any man that knows how to cook is absolutely worth his weight in gold. There's nothing finer than a couple sharing space in the kitchen cooking a great dinner together. Some nights, the only decision after dinner . . . whose gonna be dessert?:lol:

You peeking in my kitchen window tonight? :lol:

I can cook just enough to be an asset to the wife. She teaches me something every week.

Last night we made 5 lbs of fudge for her Monday Lunch with her employees. We also did Rice Krispie treats.........Lasagna and a few other odds and ends.

You make some great points.....sounds like you speak from experience :ThmbUp:

BombsAway Bob
10-18-2010, 11:54 PM
i've been cooking for +30 years at home,4-5 Days a Week,
but my weekly Menu now consists of, in one order or another,
Tues-D'Angelo's Medium Grilled Chicken & Peppers Pokket w/Finlandia Swiss
Wed- "GoodNature"Brand All-Natural Pork Loin, Mashed/veg.
Thur- 1/2 of McD's Angus Burger, 1/2 Med.FF, Whole HotFudge Sundae
Fri- Baked Chicken Breast, Baked, Veg.
Sat.-D'Angelo RoastTurkey Pokket w/Finlandia Swiss
Sun- DealersChoice- 99Restaurant SteakTips, Singapore, Texas R'House,etc
Mon- Espresso's Steak'n Cheese Sub, 3 Slices Cheese Pizza
As a traditional Mashed Potato snob, i'm thinking about making a
Flip Video for preparing PERFECT Mashed Spuds (Butter,Milk,S&P),
ones that are simple and delicious: fluffy, creamy,
& NOT ruined by "Add-Ons" Garlic, Sour Creme, Chives,etc.

Grits
10-19-2010, 12:00 AM
You peeking in my kitchen window tonight? :lol:

I can cook just enough to be an asset to the wife. She teaches me something every week.

Last night we made 5 lbs of fudge for her Monday Lunch with her employees. We also did Rice Krispie treats.........Lasagna and a few other odds and ends.

You make some great points.....sounds like you speak from experience :ThmbUp:

:lol: :lol: :lol: You think I'm going peeking in a former law enforcement officer's windows. I think NOT.

Still, THAT'S a fine relationship, J.R. And 5 lbs of fudge is a LOT of fudge. Its great that y'all do this stuff together.

Yep, 30+ years of experience, but "the former spouse" couldn't cook a lick. He just did all the grill stuff. With that he was great. He could make the biggest mess in a kitchen of anyone I've ever known. I couldn't stand him in my kitchen. I called him "Messy Marvin."

Seriously, though, a man that can cook is one fine asset in this world. Or too, one that likes to dine out. That deal of a wife cooking 5 or more nights a week is a real drag, while "honey" sits in the den having his drink, watching the 6pm news--or whatever. It sucks.:faint:

bigmack
10-19-2010, 12:18 AM
You make some great points.....sounds like you speak from experience
Don't encourage her and I am not a tramp. Case in point...

The 'chicken thigh caper' goes like this. Turns out her nephew was in town visiting from Flourida. I says "How come he ain't over at your sisters place?" Turns out she's out on the town with some schmoe. Kid's like 19, he was over last week as well. I walk in, kid shows me his new Iphone. "Wow, neat" I says. We go to the store for 20 minutes, come back... Kid is out of his mind cause he can't find his phone. I says "You just had it" - Repeating, kid is out of his mind. They both scour the crib lookin' for a phone he just had in hand. I start thinkin' the kid is goofy. I says so to him. Small altercation ensues. :rolleyes: I slow 'em down to retrace his steps. Phone found in crack of couch. Put on DVD I brought over. Knight & Day with TommyC & C.Diaz. Got it off the internet, it's not out on DVD for another month. In a pirate, underworld kinda way I'm again thinkin' to myself, smooth move. They start yappin', not watchin' the movie. I say if ya don't wanna watch the film I'm outta here. Turns out they wanted to yap s'more. I leave.

On the way back I give a call to recent divorcée that just bought a grand piano. Roll over, tinkle some tunes on the ivories, sing a little and I'm back home by 8 the next AM.

I ask you, would a tramp act in that fashion?

Grits
10-19-2010, 12:57 AM
Don't encourage her and I am not a tramp. Case in point...

The 'chicken thigh caper' goes like this. Turns out her nephew was in town visiting from Flourida. I says "How come he ain't over at your sisters place?" Turns out she's out on the town with some schmoe. Kid's like 19, he was over last week as well. I walk in, kid shows me his new Iphone. "Wow, neat" I says. We go to the store for 20 minutes, come back... Kid is out of his mind cause he can't find his phone. I says "You just had it" - Repeating, kid is out of his mind. They both scour the crib lookin' for a phone he just had in hand. I start thinkin' the kid is goofy. I says so to him. Small altercation ensues. :rolleyes: I slow 'em down to retrace his steps. Phone found in crack of couch. Put on DVD I brought over. Knight & Day with TommyC & C.Diaz. Got it off the internet, it's not out on DVD for another month. In a pirate, underworld kinda way I'm again thinkin' to myself, smooth move. They start yappin', not watchin' the movie. I say if ya don't wanna watch the film I'm outta here. Turns out they wanted to yap s'more. I leave.

On the way back I give a call to recent divorcée that just bought a grand piano. Roll over, tinkle some tunes on the ivories, sing a little and I'm back home by 8 the next AM.

Check THAT---home by NEXT 8 A.M. You're goin' door to door, only thing you ain't doin' is sellin' Fuller brushes. One's got a nephew that yaks too much so you split; the other's got a new grand--not a baby grand now, but a grand. Yeah, you're loose. You scurrilous rascal. :lol:

But, YOU CAN COOK.:lol:

mostpost
10-19-2010, 01:06 AM

This is nice.
Hey Mack,
What am I doing wrong here. I watched the video. I went to the store and picked up white bread, extra sharp cheddar cheese and real butter. (That stuff is a lot more expensive than margarine. :eek:)
I went home, sat my cat in front of the computer and let her watch the video several times. Then I sent her into the kitchen and prepared to enjoy a great sandwich. When I walked in the kitchen......disaster :eek: :eek: :eek: . I'm still picking melted cheese out of her fur.
Is your cat just smarter than mine?

toetoe
10-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Smooth move, I says to myself.

Smooth move indeed, Ex-Lax.

toetoe
10-19-2010, 05:26 PM

No hobo, Sir; you are boho. Meu heroi (:Sighing.).

P.S. The South Point lounge is dying for talent. Bring your ivory-caressing digits on up ova heah, now; wadaya say ? (:Hooked on tenters.)

ldiatone
10-19-2010, 05:35 PM
I try and cover all the bases. Done gots the AM dialed-in.

Gave this a whirl a while back. Turned out to be a 'smash hit.'

1btGBuI1qCk&p

It's not the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, it's the Cinnamon-Pecan-Carmelly-Pull-Apart-Thing.

It's decadence defined in a bunt cake design. I've rolled this out a few times. Rolled back in the rack for hours afterwards. :eek:

http://www.thecookingguy.com/cookbook/recipe.php?id=258
great stuff(?) we mix the cream cheese and (any) jelly togather then stuff.
i add a little nutmeg to the mix. (maybe some vanillia exract and heavy cream instead of milk) but what ever is easy.
i just found that bread in my local store by a "local". she does WW and Rasin also

ldiatone
10-19-2010, 05:44 PM
i've been cooking for +30 years at home,4-5 Days a Week,
but my weekly Menu now consists of, in one order or another,
Tues-D'Angelo's Medium Grilled Chicken & Peppers Pokket w/Finlandia Swiss
Wed- "GoodNature"Brand All-Natural Pork Loin, Mashed/veg.
Thur- 1/2 of McD's Angus Burger, 1/2 Med.FF, Whole HotFudge Sundae
Fri- Baked Chicken Breast, Baked, Veg.
Sat.-D'Angelo RoastTurkey Pokket w/Finlandia Swiss
Sun- DealersChoice- 99Restaurant SteakTips, Singapore, Texas R'House,etc
Mon- Espresso's Steak'n Cheese Sub, 3 Slices Cheese Pizza
As a traditional Mashed Potato snob, i'm thinking about making a
Flip Video for preparing PERFECT Mashed Spuds (Butter,Milk,S&P),
ones that are simple and delicious: fluffy, creamy,
& NOT ruined by "Add-Ons" Garlic, Sour Creme, Chives,etc.
speaking of mashed potato, was in washington dc in jan. and had dinner at a french place. the mashed pots where great the chef just used butter, s&p and i know heavy cream...and not a lot. many people want to use buttermilk--sourcream--chicken stock. but, next time one makes mashed and wants a change....."poach"(chopped) the garlic in heavy cream first then add to the 'taters

ldiatone
10-19-2010, 05:55 PM
ok cats, here is dinner w/ the wife and me to nite i'll do in 1 hr 15 mins from now.....salad mixed greens, tomatoes, purple onions, grated carrots,
radishes(my dad always loved buttered bread and radish sandwichs), dried cherries,toasted pinenuts and feta cheese.
dinner.. sauted breast of chicken w/ mushrooms, and a lite sour cream sauce topped w/ swiss cheese. roasted(baked) fingerlink(?) tarers and some veg.
dessert.. bitrhday cake as here birthday was a few days ago