PDA

View Full Version : "Bertrando is stunned"!! What are some other great race calls

Zippy Chippy
10-16-2010, 07:31 PM
I was watching the Arazi Juvenile today and I thought not only was it a great race, but the race call was terrific. Bertrando is stunned was such a great line because it was so exact with what happened.

Any other great race calls you remember, that fit perfectly with the race?

Doza
10-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Meadow Star determined, Lite Light unwavering. Here's the finish, and it is...VERY CLOSE!

harness2008
10-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Without a doubt for me, Durkins call of the 1987 Breeders Cup Classic. Watching the complete race still gives me chills.

.........................."The 2 Derby winners, hit the wire together. Ferdinand and Alysheba, in a dramatic photo finish, in the world's richest horse race."

RXB
10-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Mine is from a standard peasant race in NoCal, about 15 years ago, as the horses went into the first turn, Wrona said, "The favourite's going a little wide into the turn... and in fact she's lost the compass completely."

Second favourite: "He is moving like a tremendous machine..." Chic Anderson knew how to call a big race enthusiastically without going over the top or sounding like he was about to burst a blood vessel.

foregoforever
10-16-2010, 09:02 PM
If you're an Aussie fan, there's only one choice. Makybe Diva's third Melbourne Cup, ten days after she'd won the Cox Plate.

"Here's Makybe Diva. A nation roars for a hero. She's starting to wind up. 300 left to go now. Makybe Diva's racing up ... But Makybe Diva clear with a hundred meters to go ... a champion becomes a legend!"

Em-PsEhVlLU

Stillriledup
10-16-2010, 09:29 PM
"This......................IS...................... .......UN...........................BE...

Nevermind.

My most enjoyable classic historic calls include Easy Goer and Sunday Silence in the BC Classic at GP in 89.

WITH ONE.................FINAL............ACCELERATION!

NTamm1215
10-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Tiznow wins it for America.

thaskalos
10-16-2010, 09:57 PM
If you're an Aussie fan, there's only one choice. Makybe Diva's third Melbourne Cup, ten days after she'd won the Cox Plate.

"Here's Makybe Diva. A nation roars for a hero. She's starting to wind up. 300 left to go now. Makybe Diva's racing up ... But Makybe Diva clear with a hundred meters to go ... a champion becomes a legend!"

Em-PsEhVlLUVery nice!

nearco
10-16-2010, 10:42 PM

Best race call of all time. :ThmbUp:

MNslappy
10-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Durkin's Rags to Riches Belmont call is a great one too.

Dahoss9698
10-16-2010, 10:53 PM
My two favorite calls are Durkin's 1994 Travers and the 2001 BC Classic. After that there is a long break back to the rest.

thaskalos
10-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Durkin is a shadow of his former self.

cj
10-16-2010, 10:57 PM

He still casts a very large shadow.

Dahoss9698
10-16-2010, 11:01 PM

Maybe. But he's still the best we have in this country.

eastie
10-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Waquoit over Broad Brush in the Masscap. Thunder Gulch in the Derby.

Stillriledup
10-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Maybe. But he's still the best we have in this country.

He is. 50% of Durkin is better than most everyone else.

cj
10-16-2010, 11:08 PM
The call of Zenyatta winning the Lady's Secret...on ESPN.

Bullet Plane
10-16-2010, 11:09 PM
The Durkin call when he sang Do Re ME Fa So La Ti Doooooo......when a horse of that name won a race at Belmont. It was replayed on all the world horseracing programs- it had an international influence.

There was a great Grand National call a couple of years ago. I can't quite remember it. I'II try to look it up. Anyone out there know what I'm talking about?

keithw84
10-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Already mentioned but the 1994 Travers and 2007 Belmont are two of my favorite calls.

Here are a few other individual quotes I like:

"Curlin... COURAGEOUS, and chasing home!"
"Afleet Alex, Scrappy T... How much the best is he!"
"Lion Heart is all heart, Smarty Jones is all out!"

Cardus
10-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Vic's calls. All of them.

(Someone had to post it.)

Cardus
10-16-2010, 11:53 PM

Em-PsEhVlLU

Smartest dude here for this post.

Loved that call, Greg Miles is miles better than the next.

That said, I despise the "track announcer" threads.

nearco
10-17-2010, 12:02 AM
This one is pretty good... HYBb5jhTdJg

" The crowd shouts go Lonhro go!... but the 3yo is in front", Delzao... Lonhro, he's coming... yes he's gonna get there!!.. Yes Lonhro got there!!.. What a champion! What a way to go!"

Of course, when a horse pulls off an amazing performance like that, it sure makes it easier for person calling the race to come up with a call to match.

appistappis
10-17-2010, 12:46 AM
"and birdstone wins the belmont stakes" his tone said it all for all racing fans.

Cardus
10-17-2010, 01:09 AM
"and birdstone wins the belmont stakes" his tone said it all for all racing fans.

Except for those of us who had Birdstone on top.

Shelby
10-17-2010, 01:51 AM

To each their own, but I think he's one of the best :)

TheGrandDesign
10-17-2010, 07:03 AM
"There 's reason to be CONCERN"-The Travers Stakes Holy Bull held off the fast closing COncern!

depalma113
10-17-2010, 07:03 AM
"And here come's You, on the inside of Carson Hollow! And these two are nip and tuck. There's absolutely nothing between them! You's in so tight, Carson Hallow is unwavering. These two in a dramatic finish! It's a photo finish that doesn't deserve a loser!"

Zman179
10-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Best First Quarter Mile Call Ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS4y1nDhm3c

thaskalos
10-17-2010, 08:42 AM
This one is pretty good... HYBb5jhTdJg

" The crowd shouts go Lonhro go!... but the 3yo is in front", Delzao... Lonhro, he's coming... yes he's gonna get there!!.. Yes Lonhro got there!!.. What a champion! What a way to go!"

Of course, when a horse pulls off an amazing performance like that, it sure makes it easier for person calling the race to come up with a call to match.Amazing track announcer. Flawless!

Jasonm921
10-17-2010, 09:00 AM
"This......................IS...................... .......UN...........................BE...

Nevermind.

My most enjoyable classic historic calls include Easy Goer and Sunday Silence in the BC Classic at GP in 89.

WITH ONE.................FINAL............ACCELERATION!

You stole my thunder for the entire post :) Only Denman can make a word last a 1/16th of a mile. Boy I miss Durkins BC Calls.

Jasonm921
10-17-2010, 09:04 AM
"And don't count Flanders out yet....PAT DAY GOES TO WORK." -1994 BC Juvenile Fillies.

TheGrandDesign
10-17-2010, 09:35 AM
"History in the waiting","a picture worth a thousand words this one is worth 5 million"Imploring Real Quiet""20 years in the waiting".Classic Durkin.

jballscalls
10-17-2010, 09:35 AM
I can't think of anyone foreign or domestic i'd rather hear call a big race than Durkin, be it today or 20 years ago.

andymays
10-17-2010, 09:39 AM
I don't remember it exactly but what about Demon's Begone?

Wasn't it something about the Demon is steamin ............ look out kentucky...............

I could be wrong. Don't rember it all that well.

Zippy Chippy
10-17-2010, 10:10 AM
A couple in this 1 call from Vic

"and that wasn't thunder folks, it was the ground shaking"

"to the wire in a SHAKER"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB9d9Pk48b0

BlueShoe
10-17-2010, 10:44 AM
"and that wasn't thunder folks, it was the ground shaking"

"to the wire in a SHAKER"
Has it really been over five years since Vics earthquake call? The spontaneous calls under a unique condition that are very humerous are the ones that are memorable for me. The recent Larry Collmus "2 Wives" call at Monmouth, along with Vics, are the ones that stand out.

depalma113
10-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Of course this one can never be forgotten.

Cigar! Cigar makes his move! And he sweeps to the lead with a dramatic rush with three furlongs to go. A quarter of a mile between Cigar and perfect season... And here he is... the incomparable, invincible, unbeatable Cigar!

Jasonm921
10-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Of course this one can never be forgotten.

Cigar! Cigar makes his move! And he sweeps to the lead with a dramatic rush with three furlongs to go. A quarter of a mile between Cigar and perfect season... And here he is... the incomparable, invincible, unbeatable Cigar!

"Cigar wants to go but Jerry Bailey says no...not yet" ---Classic!!

bks
10-17-2010, 01:19 PM
"twenty years in the waiting, one furlong to go, but here comes his rival, Victory Gallop!"

Still get the chills watching that.

tucker6
10-17-2010, 02:52 PM
"Pincay goes to his whip time and time again, but Ronnie Turcotte has his whip put away, and Secretariat has them put away, he's beginning to run away."

Question: Has any other horse at a classic distance race ever made that bold a move that early in a race and still have that much left at the end??

Dan Montilion
10-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Chic Anderson's call of the Affirmed /Alydar Belmont. "We'll test these two to the wire".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZmaqszF4GA

Jasonm921
10-17-2010, 09:55 PM
"Pincay goes to his whip time and time again, but Ronnie Turcotte has his whip put away, and Secretariat has them put away, he's beginning to run away."

Question: Has any other horse at a classic distance race ever made that bold a move that early in a race and still have that much left at the end??

Not that I know of. Also I really like the Preakness call as well...poetry.

thespaah
10-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Tiznow wins it for America.
Oh yeah!! Great call..

thespaah
10-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Durkin's call of the 1990 BC classic with Unbridled's incredible surge to the wire.

NikeUnlimited
10-17-2010, 10:56 PM
"AND CURLIN... CURLIN GOLD CAP ON THE OUTSIDE... AND... LOOK... AT... CURLIN... GO!... IS THIS BELIEVABLE!?!?!"

appistappis
10-18-2010, 01:12 AM
"ohnoitsmymotherinlaw and she won't go away" love that durkin.

Pine Tree Lane
10-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Durkin's 1989 Classic is my favorite full race call. Technically perfect, catches and colorfully describes each horses' move and is very entertaining. Ebbed and flowed and his description of Easy Goer on the backstretch..."And now he's beginning to roll" is timeless.

A. Secretariat by TWELVE! Secretariat by 14 lengths on the turn. You could hear the disbelief in Chic's voice.

B. We'll test these two to the wire.

Pick6
10-18-2010, 12:17 PM
"He is moving like a tremendous machine!" Nice to have the best race caller call the greatest racing performance.

Recently ranked #6 best sports call ever. Al Michaels "Do you believe in miracles...YES!" was #1.

surfdog89
10-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Pacific Classic call by Trevor D. When Cigar got beat by Dare and Go..... was a great call........ I was at Del Mar with my dad that sad day!

PaceAdvantage
10-18-2010, 07:10 PM
"He is moving like a tremendous machine!" Nice to have the best race caller call the greatest racing performance..I believe this is the most amazing phrase ever uttered at exactly the right time. You couldn't have ASKED for a better call than that for that historic performance.

appistappis
10-18-2010, 07:21 PM
I believe this is the most amazing phrase ever uttered at exactly the right time. You couldn't have ASKED for a better call than that for that historic performance.

I couldn't agree more.

PaceAdvantage
10-18-2010, 08:21 PM
And not only that, but no announcer in the future would DARE to reuse that line...it really is perfection all around. Couldn't ask for more...

(I take that back...I can see Larry Lederman using that line to jokingly refer to a hopelessly beaten favorite... :lol: )

alhattab
10-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Without a doubt for me, Durkins call of the 1987 Breeders Cup Classic. Watching the complete race still gives me chills.

.........................."The 2 Derby winners, hit the wire together. Ferdinand and Alysheba, in a dramatic photo finish, in the world's richest horse race."

I'm late to the party here and was searching to see if someone mentioned this. A great call- no not in the pantheon of great races- but it is a great illustration of how effectively Durkin sets the stage. You cite the end, but his call going around the turn, something like (from memory) "And Alysheba begins to roll from the back of the pack, with a dramatic run towards the leaders", with that high-level angle at HollyPark, and the crowd, was tremendous.

I was watching that race in my college dorm. Nobody cared about racing, but the guys in the room were ahead of their time in the AV department, had a nice stereo hookup to the TV, and indulged me by blaring that race at high volume.

That race and of course the 1994 Travers give me the chills just thinking about them

Zippy Chippy
10-18-2010, 09:03 PM
And not only that, but no announcer in the future would DARE to reuse that line...it really is perfection all around. Couldn't ask for more...

(I take that back...I can see Larry Lederman using that line to jokingly refer to a hopelessly beaten favorite... :lol: )

If an announcer ever tried to use that line now it would probably be the last race call he made :lol:

Jasonm921
10-19-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm late to the party here and was searching to see if someone mentioned this. A great call- no not in the pantheon of great races- but it is a great illustration of how effectively Durkin sets the stage. You cite the end, but his call going around the turn, something like (from memory) "And Alysheba begins to roll from the back of the pack, with a dramatic run towards the leaders", with that high-level angle at HollyPark, and the crowd, was tremendous.

I was watching that race in my college dorm. Nobody cared about racing, but the guys in the room were ahead of their time in the AV department, had a nice stereo hookup to the TV, and indulged me by blaring that race at high volume.

That race and of course the 1994 Travers give me the chills just thinking about them

The crowd noise from NBC on track mics was outstanding...ESPN could learn alot from them.

joanied
10-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Oh, I have so many...some already mentioned here...
Tiznow wins for America!!

the incomparable, invincible, unbeatable Cigar!

Best line of all time: 'he's moving like a tremendous machine" (Don't even have to be watching it to get goosebumps)

This is un-be-lievable!!!

I probably could come up with several more...but there is one that really shines for me, if this one doesn't touch your heart...you don't have one:

Carl Nfzgar's Kentucky Derby call for Mrs. Genter:ThmbUp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDa0m-9lVY4

tubesockshakur
10-19-2010, 01:56 PM
The crowd noise from NBC on track mics was outstanding...ESPN could learn alot from them....was there on the wire that year.....had at the time my biggest wager on alysheba. was a huge punch in the gut. :bang:

PhantomOnTour
10-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Oh, I have so many...some already mentioned here...
Tiznow wins for America!!

the incomparable, invincible, unbeatable Cigar!

Best line of all time: 'he's moving like a tremendous machine" (Don't even have to be watching it to get goosebumps)

This is un-be-lievable!!!

I probably could come up with several more...but there is one that really shines for me, if this one doesn't touch your heart...you don't have one:

Carl Nfzgar's Kentucky Derby call for Mrs. Genter:ThmbUp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDa0m-9lVY4
This discussion is over and Joanied nailed it...the greatest call ever was Nafzger for Mrs. Frances Genter. No question about it :ThmbUp:

Pine Tree Lane
10-19-2010, 03:44 PM

Which followed his word fart in the Turf with Theatrical and Trempolino.

"The American.....The Europerean!"

Europerean??? Classic stuff.

joanied
10-20-2010, 06:32 PM
This discussion is over and Joanied nailed it...the greatest call ever was Nafzger for Mrs. Frances Genter. No question about it :ThmbUp:

Thanks, Phantomontour... every time I see that I get teary eyed...and to see Mrs. Genter's face...just about one of the most heart warming things ever...I loved that woman, she looked like the perfect little Grandma:)

Shelby
10-21-2010, 08:55 AM
As I read through all of these wonderful moments (and some not so wonderful, depending who bet on who ;)), I'm wondering:

Do the people who call races go over the card for that day and look for stand-out names, or do they just "fly by the seats of their pants" for lack of a better term?

And:

Has a female ever called a race? If so, who? If not, why?

joanied
10-21-2010, 09:42 AM
There is a book out...'They Call the Horses' (Edie Dickenson), pretty good read. It gives a bio on some of the best race callers and how they do their thing...you might get a copy, it'll answer your first question...of course, they all have their own way of doing things, and it's interesting to learn about it.

I wonder if a woman has ever even applied for a race calling job...funny, but men have been calling the races since forever, and I never even thought about a woman race caller...good question, Shelby.

Shelby
10-21-2010, 10:26 AM
There is a book out...'They Call the Horses' (Edie Dickenson), pretty good read. It gives a bio on some of the best race callers and how they do their thing...you might get a copy, it'll answer your first question...of course, they all have their own way of doing things, and it's interesting to learn about it.

I wonder if a woman has ever even applied for a race calling job...funny, but men have been calling the races since forever, and I never even thought about a woman race caller...good question, Shelby.

Thanks, Joanie, I'm going to see if I can get that book on my Kindle.

joanied
10-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks, Joanie, I'm going to see if I can get that book on my Kindle.

Hope you can find it for Kindle...I beleive you'll enjoy the read.
:)

Steve 'StatMan'
10-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Has a female ever called a race? If so, who? If not, why?

Christine Gabriel, the AP on-air host in her last season before her and husband, Frank, the racing secretary, left for the UAE (he became the Dubai's new racing secretary) called a race. They believed she was the first, although perhaps others have, I certainaly wouldn't mind if more women did. Like most people's first race calls, there was naturally some nervousness, I know I'd be nervous.

Steve 'StatMan'
10-21-2010, 11:32 AM
"HANSEL!!! By a desperate head!"

joanied
10-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Christine Gabriel, the AP on-air host in her last season before her and husband, Frank, the racing secretary, left for the UAE (he became the Dubai's new racing secretary) called a race. They believed she was the first, although perhaps others have, I certainaly wouldn't mind if more women did. Like most people's first race calls, there was naturally some nervousness, I know I'd be nervous.

Where did she call? I wouldn't mind a woman calling, but she'd have to have the right voice for it...some women have a voice too high pitched for such a job. Imagine a women with a voice like, say, Sara Palin (I am a fan of hers, by the way)...much too high pitched...otherwise, why not!!

v j stauffer
10-21-2010, 12:34 PM
In the 80's Hialeah's publicity director Jan Ciochetti called a race. I believe that was the first TB race called by a woman.

Steve 'StatMan'
10-21-2010, 12:42 PM
It was one race at Arlington Park. It was in the early 2000's. It as something nice to give her a chance to do - she'd done a lot of interesting things over the years. She'd battled breast cancer at least twice while there, so nice to see her get a chance to do it, because you never know.

I must admit she probably wouldn't have been the right woman to do that full-time, she often got tounge-tied during the hosting duties and would do some transformations on horse and jockey names sometimes. Very likeable person, and she was going through quite a lot at times personally while she worked there, I could understand where she might lose maximum focus sometimes.

I doubt I could do too well at it - I'm not good with multi-tasking at the same time, so trying to keep track of the horses while keeping the words and descriptions straight would be a serious challenge for me. (I like my words written out, like from the church lectionary, and the audience quiet and accepting - defintely not like horse race calling.)

Wonder which women in racing might do well at it. Jessica Pacheco can really spit the words out fast during her race analysis, and I like listening to her. Possible - though yeah, have to have her hair under more control during the call to avoid tossing head while looking through the binocs.

Steve 'StatMan'
10-21-2010, 12:44 PM
In the 80's Hialeah's publicity director Jan Ciochetti called a race. I believe that was the first TB race called by a woman.

Definitely before Christine Gabriel's call. Thanks for the info Vic! Too bad this stuff seems like obscure trivia.

Shelby
10-21-2010, 01:17 PM

Interesting.

I'd be way more than nervous. I'd pee my pants. Probably more than once.

Where did she call? I wouldn't mind a woman calling, but she'd have to have the right voice for it...some women have a voice too high pitched for such a job. Imagine a women with a voice like, say, Sara Palin (I am a fan of hers, by the way)...much too high pitched...otherwise, why not!!

I agree.....I think a woman with a husky...sort of "smokers" voice would be good....like Kathleen Turner.

joanied
10-21-2010, 04:10 PM

It's great to have a caller here for input...Vic, what would your opinion be on a woman race caller...I'm curious. Seems like that is maybe the only place in racing where women are not working.

SharpCat
10-22-2010, 12:03 PM
One of my favorites was the 1995 Breeders Cup Distaff. "But it's Inside Information who turns for home cruising on a 2-1/2 length lead Lakeway is in a full out drive but gaining no ground and Serena's Song is struggling back in 3rd it's a big break back to the rest of the field Inside Information turning into a runaway Mike Smith ask her for run and within an instant the response was devastating Inside Information wow look at this a colossal victory and Heavenly Prize her stablemate will be 2nd Inside Informatio won by a dozen lengths Heavenly Prize came on to be 2nd and Lakeway was 3rd.

v j stauffer
10-22-2010, 01:44 PM
It's great to have a caller here for input...Vic, what would your opinion be on a woman race caller...I'm curious. Seems like that is maybe the only place in racing where women are not working.

I think it would be terrific. I dated Aggie Anderson, now Aggie Ordonez the trainer in Nor. Cal. She worked intertrack at Arlington. I told her I'd teach her to call races. Thought because of the novelty she could get a mid-level track to start. Thought it would bring the track some good publicity. She had her heart set on being a trainer though. I see absolutely no reason why a woman couldn't call the races and do a great job. I'd love to see it.

johnhannibalsmith
10-22-2010, 03:42 PM
I suddenly imagine that there is perhaps the world's greatest racecaller out there somewhere and it is a she and calling horse races is the farthest thing from her mind.

I think of some of my favorites over the years and those of others, and nearly everyone, everywhere always places Luke Kruytbosch in their top several favorites. Yet you rarely see any "one" of his calls in a thread like this - I have a few of my favorite calls by Luke, but mainly obscure, clever calls incorporating the name of the winner or something comical during the winner's circle ceremony.

I guess maybe he was so broadly likable in so many ways, despite lacking that "hit single", because he was so easy to listen to.

He called a race almost like a soothing lullabye, one that effortlessly reached a climax, with a cadence and tempo and crescendo that was utterly engaging. It was as though the calls were a finished piece of music or poetry and he was merely performing them for me.

This isn't really another "I love Luke" tangent - my first reaction to the notion of a woman caller, the honest reaction, was that I really didn't think I could adjust to a distinctly female voice calling the races.

But the more I considered it, I suppose one of the most important factor to me is that tempo, cadence - the ability to make it almost sing-songy - and really, if I consider why I REALLY did enjoy Luke's calls so much, then I have to believe that in reality, that attribute may actually be more likely to be found in a woman.

KirisClown
10-22-2010, 03:51 PM
"Holy Bull winning like a champion! With devastating ease! Holy Bull toyed with the best horses in training!"

joanied
10-22-2010, 03:56 PM
I think it would be terrific. I dated Aggie Anderson, now Aggie Ordonez the trainer in Nor. Cal. She worked intertrack at Arlington. I told her I'd teach her to call races. Thought because of the novelty she could get a mid-level track to start. Thought it would bring the track some good publicity. She had her heart set on being a trainer though. I see absolutely no reason why a woman couldn't call the races and do a great job. I'd love to see it.

Of course, Vic, if you said it would be bad, the gals here would have your head on a platter:lol:
It's good that Aggie got what she wanted...being a trainer...I suppose if a woman did want to do this, she'd need the help of someone like you to get her foot in the door.
When I first started working at Belmont, there was maybe 10 total women on the backside...I like to think of myself as a sort of pioneer:) ...there was so much hell to pay for women in those days...but, look at the backsides of race tracks now...plenty of gals...so maybe in the not so far future, we'll hear the first woman to call races at a major track...like when you are ready to retire;) !!
Good to know you'd go for it...thanks.

keithw84
10-22-2010, 06:14 PM
"Holy Bull winning like a champion! With devastating ease! Holy Bull toyed with the best horses in training!"

Was this the Woodward?

Shelby
10-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Of course, Vic, if you said it would be bad, the gals here would have your head on a platter:lol:
It's good that Aggie got what she wanted...being a trainer...I suppose if a woman did want to do this, she'd need the help of someone like you to get her foot in the door.
When I first started working at Belmont, there was maybe 10 total women on the backside...I like to think of myself as a sort of pioneer:) ...there was so much hell to pay for women in those days...but, look at the backsides of race tracks now...plenty of gals...so maybe in the not so far future, we'll hear the first woman to call races at a major track...like when you are ready to retire;) !!
Good to know you'd go for it...thanks.

I guess I gotta start smoking so I can get my voice huskier ;)

KirisClown
10-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Was this the Woodward?

Yes, it's the Woodward..

http://i54.tinypic.com/2a0b42r.jpg

PaceAdvantage
10-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Yes, it's the Woodward..

http://i54.tinypic.com/2a0b42r.jpgMy most memorable and most exciting "live" experience at any racetrack....ever.....the crowd roar as he turned for home was absolutely spine tingling...still is watching it on video...

Shelby
10-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Yes, it's the Woodward..

http://i54.tinypic.com/2a0b42r.jpg

What a great picture this is. I just spent at least 3 minutes looking at it. The piercing intensity from the horses eyes, the hooves striking the dirt, the jockeys willing the horses to GO, the dust and debris...I feel like I'm there in person!

Pick6
10-24-2010, 05:08 PM
While generally regarded as adequate, Harry Henson had his moments, including this stunner.

His most notable call during the race: "...and Seattle Slew is dropping back; Seattle Slew is well-beaten..." Nobody else could ever say that about the great Slew, which resonated with the Slew supporters as a pretty hard slam.

lFmKe4t-V8s

Pine Tree Lane
10-25-2010, 05:14 PM
And he lives in the past as well......

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3016/2985158463_5df8c5625c_b.jpg

bdownes
10-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Luke's 1998 Hollywood Gold Cup call of Skip Away was outstanding.

PaceAdvantage
10-25-2010, 11:06 PM
And he lives in the past as well......

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3016/2985158463_5df8c5625c_b.jpgStill can't get over how grey/white he is now, or how freakin' awesome that picture of him snoozing is... :ThmbUp:

v j stauffer
10-26-2010, 10:59 AM
While generally regarded as adequate, Harry Henson had his moments, including this stunner.

His most notable call during the race: "...and Seattle Slew is dropping back; Seattle Slew is well-beaten..." Nobody else could ever say that about the great Slew, which resonated with the Slew supporters as a pretty hard slam.

lFmKe4t-V8s

On what planet was Harry Henson generally regarded as adequate? IMO and I believe to a generation of racing fans Harry's calls and the man himself were considered iconic. They made record albums of his calls. Going to the races at Hollywood Park or Del Mar for 30 years was greatly enhanced by the gravely voice and the passionate very accurate descriptions. Harry called in a generation that announcers were old school. No Tv. Just banging out one great call after another as crowds of 30 to 60 thousand rose to thier feet to cheer each race. If Harry was adequate then so were Joe Hernandez, Chic Anderson, Ernie Harwell, Johnny Most, Chick Hearn, Vin Scully, Jack Buck, Jack Whitaker, Gil Stratton and countless others from a great generation of announcers. Adequate SCHMADEQUATE:confused:

rwwupl
10-26-2010, 11:23 AM
On what planet was Harry Henson generally regarded as adequate? IMO and I believe to a generation of racing fans Harry's calls and the man himself were considered iconic. They made record albums of his calls. Going to the races at Hollywood Park or Del Mar for 30 years was greatly enhanced by the gravely voice and the passionate very accurate descriptions. Harry called in a generation that announcers were old school. No Tv. Just banging out one great call after another as crowds of 30 to 60 thousand rose to thier feet to cheer each race. If Harry was adequate then so were Joe Hernandez, Chic Anderson, Ernie Harwell, Johnny Most, Chick Hearn, Vin Scully, Jack Buck, Jack Whitaker, Gil Stratton and countless others from a great generation of announcers. Adequate SCHMADEQUATE:confused:

Vic,

Thanks for re- posting that race of J.O.Tobin/ S. Slew.... I was there that day, and it was a magic moment (If you liked J.O. or S.Slew) and Harry Henson gave a thrilling call, as he often did.

I total agree with your response..Thanks

rwwupl

Pick6
10-26-2010, 02:03 PM
No offense, certainly. I grew up with Henson. Hearing his voice on the PA at both Hollywood and Del Mar were great experiences. I just don't put him up there with the greats of the sport. He had a chance to call some great races: this one, Typecast/Convenience match, Dr. Fager's Californian, and many others. However many around me would joke about his frequent blunders during calling (which I recall more than a few), and his overly nervous/excited nature during the race call. I am happy to hear someone support Henson, as I think he was better than generally regarded.