PDA

View Full Version : How good was Al Khali today?

GatetoWire
10-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Completely slammed into and blocked in the stretch....backed out....angled and still only missed by a length and a half.

He would have easily ran them down with a clean trip.

gm10
10-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Completely slammed into and blocked in the stretch....backed out....angled and still only missed by a length and a half.

He would have easily ran them down with a clean trip.

That's what i thought initially but after re-watching it I'm not so sure that he was getting to the euro's in the final half furlong.

GatetoWire
10-16-2010, 06:26 PM
That's what i thought initially but after re-watching it I'm not so sure that he was getting to the euro's in the final half furlong.

I don't know how you could say that.

That trouble stopped virtually all the momentum he was starting to build.

He spotted the Euros at least 3-4 extra lengths because of the trouble and still only was beaten by no more than 2 lengths.

I think he would have needed a real clean trip to win but you can clearly see in the replay that Garcia was trying to send him in between horses before he was blocked and he was very hesitant to charge through that small opening.

I was just impressed with the fact that he came running after the trouble and got as close as he did. The last 1/8th he was clearly running faster than anyone else in the field.

woodtoo
10-16-2010, 06:38 PM
[I was just impressed with the fact that he came running after the trouble and got as close as he did. The last 1/8th he was clearly running faster than anyone else in the field.[/QUOTE]

I agree,even thou the video feed I saw was so snowy

gm10
10-16-2010, 07:14 PM
I don't know how you could say that.

That trouble stopped virtually all the momentum he was starting to build.

He spotted the Euros at least 3-4 extra lengths because of the trouble and still only was beaten by no more than 2 lengths.

I think he would have needed a real clean trip to win but you can clearly see in the replay that Garcia was trying to send him in between horses before he was blocked and he was very hesitant to charge through that small opening.

I was just impressed with the fact that he came running after the trouble and got as close as he did. The last 1/8th he was clearly running faster than anyone else in the field.

Yes it looked dramatic but I feel that in the final half furlong he managed to go by the horses who were running on empty and not really getting to the euro's. Maybe it wouldn't have been different if he had reached contention earlier on and had had some tow into the race, that I'm not denying. Weak race anyways. Those euro's were group 2 material.

GatetoWire
10-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Yes it looked dramatic but I feel that in the final half furlong he managed to go by the horses who were running on empty and not really getting to the euro's. Maybe it wouldn't have been different if he had reached contention earlier on and had had some tow into the race, that I'm not denying. Weak race anyways. Those euro's were group 2 material.

Agreed....Nothing about my post said that he was ready to beat Group 1 Euros...just that he probably would have won today with a clean trip.

Stillriledup
10-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Unfortunately, that doesn't pay my bills. Just jock error got him beat. He had a clear lane to swing very wide and around the pack but chose to try and get lucky. Jock didnt realize he was on much the best and rode as if he had to get lucky to win.

Robert Fischer
10-17-2010, 01:57 AM
:)

OTM Al
10-17-2010, 07:06 AM
Agreed....Nothing about my post said that he was ready to beat Group 1 Euros...just that he probably would have won today with a clean trip.

The problem with him has always been that he doesn't get clean trips. A horse that always finds trouble is one I'll always be against.