PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anyone with Aspergers?

Zippy Chippy
10-16-2010, 04:50 PM
I've always heard of this, but didn't realize how severe it was until i met someone who has it.

Within 5 mins of meeting our new coworker "Chris" I couldn't believe it. I knew he had to have aspergers (which he immediately told me he had w/in mins of the meeting) Its the most bizarre disorder I've ever experienced.

First off, he dresses in the most bizarre clothes ive ever seen. Wool sportscoats, pants with shirts tucked in and no belt, white socks with black pants and shoes, pretty much all the fashion don'ts lol. People definitely stare at him when they see him. The way he talks is like he's back in the 1920's, and he doesn't like change. He goes to the same bar every couple nights. If we try to go to another bar he gets all sweaty and has to leave. He also has no idea how to socialize. I feel bad for the guy. I don't see how he will ever meet anyone.

I was looking up traits for aspergers and believe it or not the things i listed were all common characteristics. I find it weird a disorder could be so specific.

Pretty much everything that is the norm, he is different. We all drive, he doesn't drive, we pay our bills, he doesn't, we like normal food, he loves Indian Food :lol:

jballscalls
10-16-2010, 05:54 PM
I met some folks in the mental inpatient hospital with Aspergers and i agree, it did not seem like a picnic for them.

mental illness is a very real thing for millions of people, and it's a tough battle to manage, let alone win

JBmadera
10-16-2010, 06:21 PM
wonderful book by Bashe and Kirby - The Oasis Guide to Asperger Syndrome. Like so many mental disorders Asperger's is so very painful.

pandy
10-16-2010, 06:35 PM
I just saw a great Indian film called My Name Is Khan were the main character, played by India's biggest movie star, has this disease, although that is not what the story is about. One of the best films of the year.

Greyfox
10-16-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm not sure that "disease" is the correct word for this neurological anomaly.

Many famous people in history have shown signs of it.
(Einstein, Glenn Gould (pianist), ....

Consider the list at:

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/article_2086.shtml

Rookies
10-16-2010, 08:02 PM
It certainly appears to be the case that Aspergers and Autism are on the same continuum. I know several people with Aspergers and/or Autism, most of whom are on my son's Hockey team.

That's right, they play hockey!

Not everybody skates like Gretzky or is in tune with all the plays in the game, but nor am I! Some guys have learned figure skating first and are far, far better skaters than I am.

The point is, that just like all of US, there is a continuum of behaviours, personalities, character traits, tendencies, anomalies or even annoyances that we all exhibit. One young man is kind of annoying because he's in your face a lot and his parents have him practice trying to converse appropriately. But, he's a member of the team, goes to college, dresses appropriately and has a job. IF his interest was horses rather than Hockey, he could tell you the results of all races at a particular track yesterday and what is upcoming on today's card!

At least 2/3 of the players on my son's team have been to the following places outside their own country: London, England, Washington, NYC, St. Louis, Denver, Arlington, Albany, Rochester and this year- Boston. Some PA Forum members have never been abroad.

Many so called "normal" people think that those who are disabled are incapable of many things in life- rather than capable. This is a fallacy. At least it is especially, for those born in the latter part of the 20th century.

Why ? Because, many of the parents have devoted thousands of hours to preparing their kids to act appropriately in public situations, as well as being hard line advocates for their medical, educational and social welfares.

In the end, we all appreciate human interaction, Zippy. You can assist your new co-worker greatly in that regard. :ThmbUp:

trackrat59
10-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Zippy:

Kudos to your employer for hiring "Chris".

I have a dear friend who has a son with some sort of disability. His name is Chris. Chris is 15 and will never get a high school diploma. They will give him a certificate of attendance or something like that. Anyway, my friend is sick thinking about what will become of his only son. He is worried about what Chris will do for a living if anything, and how he will become self sufficient, if he can.

We should all be thankful for what we have. If you have a Chris at work think about reaching out to them, be friendly, and help them along.

GameTheory
10-16-2010, 10:09 PM
I was reading about a German company that would recruit people with Asperger to do the boring hyper-detailed jobs (analyzing legal documents, etc) that drive "normal" people crazy. The condition makes them well-suited for certain kinds of work which most people are bad at but that they enjoy.

Rookies
10-16-2010, 10:14 PM
I was reading about a German company that would recruit people with Asperger to do the boring hyper-detailed jobs (analyzing legal documents, etc) that drive "normal" people crazy. The condition makes them well-suited for certain kinds of work which most people are bad at but that they enjoy.

Yep. And Zippy, the kid who plays Hockey on my son's team with an encyclopedic knowledge of sports events, players and stats, I'll bet HE could lead an NFL team in proper clock management, better than any of the buffoons the NFL employs as HC! ;) (See Sports Forum)

Greyfox
10-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Maybe the good foot doctor 46Zilzal can enlighten us on this subject as he seems to know everything about nothing.

46Zilzal has been somewhat silent on this forum for awhile.
I hope he's okay.

Rookies
10-16-2010, 10:45 PM
I hope he's okay.

He's on " vacation", I believe...

Robert Goren
10-16-2010, 10:49 PM
I hope he's okay.I believe he has been banned at least for awhile.

bigmack
10-16-2010, 10:56 PM
I heard the postal service has a daily job fair at every Asperger clinic in the country.

chickenhead
10-16-2010, 10:58 PM
I work with 2 guys I suspect have at least a mild form of Aspergers. Or at least many of the symptoms.

Zippy Chippy
10-17-2010, 07:27 AM

So funny. They give him data entry work to do and he loves it. Also if u tell him a year he will tell u the president and info on him

Grits
10-18-2010, 08:54 PM
So funny. They give him data entry work to do and he loves it. Also if u tell him a year he will tell u the president and info on him

Zippy Chippy, there are 15 or so replies to your post here. Some of which went to lengths to give you an answer that's appropriate in helping you with your poor decision to laugh at this young man. (ROTF emoticon included.)

You come back to the thread you started after these replies with nothing. Absolutely nothing. Managing only . . . . So funny.
Was it his skill that insterested you, or his poor choice of attire?

I'm a believer--when one wants to educate themselves, don't do anything half assed, (as you've done) go to the correct source. Instead of a horseracing messageboard to understand more about Asperger and Austism Spectrum Disorder, or worse--to laugh about it, try going here-

http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/asd.cfm

Its nice that a few gave it their best shot to help you. I hope you'll remember the quote from Rookies because one day you may find yourself in need . . . if your son is born with Asperger Syndrome, Autism, or any other numerous syndromes that cause him to dress funny, or have problems socializing, or that find him comfortable with only detailed or repetitive tasks--you may be this young man's father and he may need your guidance.

Many so called "normal" people think that those who are disabled are incapable of many things in life- rather than capable. This is a fallacy. At least it is especially, for those born in the latter part of the 20th century.

Why ? Because, many of the parents have devoted thousands of hours to preparing their kids to act appropriately in public situations, as well as being hard line advocates for their medical, educational and social welfares.

DJofSD
10-18-2010, 09:23 PM
I heard the postal service has a daily job fair at every Asperger clinic in the country.
:lol: God your killing me.