PDA

View Full Version : Where would a Zenyatta BCC win rank on your all-time favorite sports moments?

Zippy Chippy
10-16-2010, 09:46 AM
** DISCLAIMER, ZENYATTA FANS ONLY **

For me personally, i think this would be my #1 favorite sports moment of all time.. (i know, pretty sad) :lol:

It would definitely be a race id be watching on a daily basis.

cj
10-16-2010, 10:55 AM
#731,268, just below the Soviet Union "upsetting" the USA in basketball in 1972.

Dahoss9698
10-16-2010, 11:04 AM
3 more weeks of this? Can't wait.

I'll save you the time. Next thread should be, if Zenyatta was a movie star, what movie star would she be?

Zippy Chippy
10-16-2010, 11:06 AM
3 more weeks of this? Can't wait.

I'll save you the time. Next thread should be, if Zenyatta was a movie star, what movie star would she be?

Well hopefully for your sake she will lose and then you will be happy.

PhantomOnTour
10-16-2010, 11:31 AM
To answer Zippy's question though....not very high. I break down sports moments into two categories: ones I watched on TV and ones I've personally witnessed.

Greatest sports moment I ever personally attended was Afleet Alex's Preakness stumble and dash to victory...amazing.

Too many to count that I've seen on TV but Zen winning the Classic again just doesn't register (at least right now :) )...that could change.

exactatom
10-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Please tell me how this would exceed the following:1. Miracle on Ice 1980 Olympics
2. Ali-Frzier fight at Madison Square Garden.
3. Larson's perfect game.
4. Ice Bowl
5. Nicklaus winning Masters at 46 years old.
6. Secretariat winning Belmont.
7. Steeler-Cowboys Super Bowls of 1970's.
8. NC State beating Houston NCAA hoops championship.
9. Hagler getting robbed against Sugar Ray Leonard.

Just a few off the top of my head. I know I omitted many, but I am pointing out the world does nto revolve around Zenyatta. Much better to take on strong opponents and lose (Muhammad Ali) vs. take the easy way out for a record.

cj
10-16-2010, 11:48 AM
9. Hagler getting outsmarted by Sugar Ray Leonard.

FTFY

PhantomOnTour
10-16-2010, 11:57 AM
I announced to everyone that Hagler was the best fighter in the world before that fight...loved him. IMO he was given a bad decision vs Leonard. I thought Hagler won, but is this 'robbery' or 'outsmarting' a truly great sports moment? Not to me.
Hagler vs Hearns was a great fight...total brawl.

andymays
10-16-2010, 11:58 AM
I announced to everyone that Hagler was the best fighter in the world before that fight...loved him. IMO he was given a bad decision vs Leonard. I thought Hagler won, but is this 'robbery' or 'outsmarting' a truly great sports moment? Not to me.
Hagler vs Hearns was a great fight...total brawl.

That was the first time I believed boxing was fixed and I think that fight was fixed. No way Leonard beats Hagler on the sqare off the long layoff.

exactatom
10-16-2010, 12:06 PM
I considered Hagler Hearns and believed the best round and best 3 rounds, but it was not the event and did not have the hype and controversy that Hagler Leonard had.

I loved Hagler as well and remember when Mustafa Hamsho said bad things about the USA in the pre fight press conference and Hagler beat him to the point that he needed 60 stitches after the fight.

Zippy Chippy
10-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Please tell me how this would exceed the following:1. Miracle on Ice 1980 Olympics
2. Ali-Frzier fight at Madison Square Garden.
3. Larson's perfect game.
4. Ice Bowl
5. Nicklaus winning Masters at 46 years old.
6. Secretariat winning Belmont.
7. Steeler-Cowboys Super Bowls of 1970's.
8. NC State beating Houston NCAA hoops championship.
9. Hagler getting robbed against Sugar Ray Leonard.

Just a few off the top of my head. I know I omitted many, but I am pointing out the world does nto revolve around Zenyatta. Much better to take on strong opponents and lose (Muhammad Ali) vs. take the easy way out for a record.

Ya the Hagler fight was unreal.
I really think the only one that would be better would be Secretariat Belmont since thats my favorite sports moment. Horse racing for me trumps all other sports. In 1996 when the Yankees won the World Series i never thought there could be a happier sports moment for me until i got into horse racing. I think just going 20-20, winning back to back BCC, and how every race is so dramatic just makes it a once in a lifetime thing. I get excited for other stuff. Celtics Championships, Patriots Super Bowls, etc, etc, but its not the same feeling in your stomach as watching these horses. Nothing compares to it.

Dahoss9698
10-16-2010, 12:11 PM
I really think the only one that would be better would be Secretariat Belmont since thats my favorite sports moment. Horse racing for me trumps all other sports. In 1997 when the Yankees won the World Series i never thought there could be a happier sports moment for me until i got into horse racing. I think just going 20-20, winning back to back BCC, and how every race is so dramatic just makes it a once in a lifetime thing. I get excited for other stuff. Celtics Championships, Patriots Super Bowls, etc, etc, but its not the same feeling in your stomach as watching these horses. Nothing compares to it.

Go back and watch some old Breeders Cup races. Tiznow winning in 2001, Da Hoss in '98, Personal Ensign in '88, Flanders in '94. Inside Information in '95. There have been a lot of unbelievable moments.

DeanT
10-16-2010, 12:12 PM
I really think the only one that would be better would be Secretariat Belmont since thats my favorite sports moment. Horse racing for me trumps all other sports. In 1997 when the Yankees won the World Series i never thought there could be a happier sports moment for me until i got into horse racing. I think just going 20-20, winning back to back BCC, and how every race is so dramatic just makes it a once in a lifetime thing. I get excited for other stuff. Celtics Championships, Patriots Super Bowls, etc, etc, but its not the same feeling in your stomach as watching these horses. Nothing compares to it.

My horse racing moments rank a ton higher as well, even if to others it is like it is from another planet.

I rank Z's win right up there for me with a feel good story and an interesting phenomenon. Sitting with a player who lost a sizeable amount of cash at the same time will always resonate with me in that moment as well. Ironically, he feels the same way about the race.

Sunday Silence in the BC was up there. There are several others. But Z's win does register.

I have harness races as moments as well like Life Sign's win in the Jug.

Things like those trump a lot of other moments. I could not care less about almost all Super Bowls people speak of, or some baseball or hockey events that people enshrine as the greatest moments ever. But horse racing? Different story for me.

Steve R
10-16-2010, 01:10 PM
My horse racing moments rank a ton higher as well, even if to others it is like it is from another planet.

I rank Z's win right up there for me with a feel good story and an interesting phenomenon. Sitting with a player who lost a sizeable amount of cash at the same time will always resonate with me in that moment as well. Ironically, he feels the same way about the race.

Sunday Silence in the BC was up there. There are several others. But Z's win does register.

I have harness races as moments as well like Life Sign's win in the Jug.

Things like those trump a lot of other moments. I could not care less about almost all Super Bowls people speak of, or some baseball or hockey events that people enshrine as the greatest moments ever. But horse racing? Different story for me.
It's not who wins or loses that determines a great sports moment, it's how the game was played, in racing and every other sport. Unless Zenyatta wins by a whisker with an impossible late rush or breaks Secretariat's record winning by 10 lengths, it will be just another race for me. A typical Zenyatta win in a slow time against relatively weak competition wouldn't register at all. here's a partial list for me.

Kelso's 1964 JCGC
Sea-Bird II's 1965 Arc de Triomphe
Damascus' 1967 Woodward Stakes
Brigadier Gerard's 1972 King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes
Secretariat's 1973 Belmont
Secretariat's 1973 Marlboro Cup
Red Rum's 1973 Grand National
The Ruffian/Foolish Pleasure 1975 Match Race (tragic but memorable)
Forego's 1976 Marlboro Cup
The Affirmed/Alydar 1978 Belmont
Exceller's 1978 JCGC (and Seattle Slew's valiant loss)
1983 Cheltenham Gold Cup (Dickinson saddles the top five finishers)
Spend a Buck's 1985 Jersey Derby
Dancing Brave's 1986 Arc de Triomphe
Alysheba's 1987 Kentucky Derby
Personal Ensign's 1988 BC Distaff
Desert Orchid's 1989 Cheltenham Gold Cup
Arazi's 1991 BC Juvenile
Silver Charm's 1997 Kentucky Derby
Da Hoss's 1998 BC Mile
Dubai Millennium's 2000 DWC
Ghostzapper's 2004 Philip H. Iselin BC Handicap
Makybe Diva's 2005 Melbourne Cup
Afleet Alex's 2005 Preakness Stakes
Vodka's 2007 Japanese Derby
Big Brown's 2008 Kentucky Derby

cpitt84
10-16-2010, 02:04 PM
As a newbie to racing, definitely pretty high up there.

Zippy Chippy
10-16-2010, 02:05 PM
It's not who wins or loses that determines a great sports moment, it's how the game was played, in racing and every other sport. Unless Zenyatta wins by a whisker with an impossible late rush or breaks Secretariat's record winning by 10 lengths, it will be just another race for me. A typical Zenyatta win in a slow time against relatively weak competition wouldn't register at all. here's a partial list for me.

Kelso's 1964 JCGC
Sea-Bird II's 1965 Arc de Triomphe
Damascus' 1967 Woodward Stakes
Brigadier Gerard's 1972 King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes
Secretariat's 1973 Belmont
Secretariat's 1973 Marlboro Cup
Red Rum's 1973 Grand National
The Ruffian/Foolish Pleasure 1975 Match Race (tragic but memorable)
Forego's 1976 Marlboro Cup
The Affirmed/Alydar 1978 Belmont
Exceller's 1978 JCGC (and Seattle Slew's valiant loss)
1983 Cheltenham Gold Cup (Dickinson saddles the top five finishers)
Spend a Buck's 1985 Jersey Derby
Dancing Brave's 1986 Arc de Triomphe
Alysheba's 1987 Kentucky Derby
Personal Ensign's 1988 BC Distaff
Desert Orchid's 1989 Cheltenham Gold Cup
Arazi's 1991 BC Juvenile
Silver Charm's 1997 Kentucky Derby
Da Hoss's 1998 BC Mile
Dubai Millennium's 2000 DWC
Ghostzapper's 2004 Philip H. Iselin BC Handicap
Makybe Diva's 2005 Melbourne Cup
Afleet Alex's 2005 Preakness Stakes
Vodka's 2007 Japanese Derby
Big Brown's 2008 Kentucky Derby

I 100% agree. If the race isn't exciting it def takes away .. Many of these races rank up there for me too. If Zenyatta had an improbable stretch drive it would be incredible. The more emotional the race, the higher its on my list.

tucker6
10-16-2010, 03:53 PM
I 100% agree. If the race isn't exciting it def takes away .. Many of these races rank up there for me too. If Zenyatta had an improbable stretch drive it would be incredible. The more emotional the race, the higher its on my list.It is plausible to say that Seattle Slew's greatness was created in the public's mind as much by his loss in the JCGC in 1978 as it was during his TC campaign in 1977. Greatness is oftentimes about heart under adversity, rising up on great occasions and doing great things, or many stirring stretch drives against stout opposition.

This to me is the missing part of the equation with Zenyatta. She hasn't yet dealt with adversity (facing an equal adversary in the stretch and gutting it out). She hasn't been put in repeated situations where greatness is built up (only been in one race, the 2009 BCC). She's had many stirring stretch drives, but against whom?? Her resume is lacking to be called great. Not her fault.

DeanT
10-16-2010, 03:59 PM
It's not who wins or loses that determines a great sports moment, it's how the game was played, in racing and every other sport. Unless Zenyatta wins by a whisker with an impossible late rush or breaks Secretariat's record winning by 10 lengths, it will be just another race for me. A typical Zenyatta win in a slow time against relatively weak competition wouldn't register at all.

You explained what a great moment is for you; however people can have a different opinion. I enjoyed last year's Breeders Cup win by her. I will remember it for myriad reasons, some of which I laid out above.

Great list by the way. :ThmbUp:

Arazi's juvenile is one which I will remember forever as well. Each race for me has a story and I remember that one. I could say the same about many races on your list.

5k-claim
10-16-2010, 05:34 PM
You explained what a great moment is for you; however people can have a different opinion. I enjoyed last year's Breeders Cup win by her. I will remember it for myriad reasons, some of which I laid out above.

Great list by the way. :ThmbUp:

Arazi's juvenile is one which I will remember forever as well. Each race for me has a story and I remember that one. I could say the same about many races on your list.

That is a great list by Steve R.

I am with you on last year's BCC. Loved it! (Definitely on my list.)

I also agree with Arazi. That one horse is the reason I finally tipped over the edge and joined the ranks of the horse lovers. Now years later, still getting up 7 days a week at the butt-crack of dawn to work with this flighty animals, there are some moments when I don't know whether to thank Arazi or curse him.

The lean is still towards thanking him.

JustRalph
10-16-2010, 05:54 PM
come on? with all the great races out there?

ronsmac
10-16-2010, 07:10 PM
It would probably be the greatest horse racing moment in about 20 yrs, but there are so many sports memories that are so much bigger.

tucker6
10-16-2010, 07:31 PM
It would probably be the greatest horse racing moment in about 20 yrs, but there are so many sports memories that are so much bigger.
greater than Rags to Riches beating Curlin in the stretch for the Belmont Stakes?? Hadn't happened in many decades to that point, and many considered Curlin the best 3 yo in years at that time. From an historical perspective, Rags' victory paved the way for the recent spat of female horses taking on the males at top levels. I could be wrong there, but my sense is that more top females have entered male races as of late than they had before her Belmont.

WeirdWilly
10-17-2010, 12:30 AM

For me personally, i think this would be my #1 favorite sports moment of all time.. (i know, pretty sad) :lol:

1. Detroit Tigers 1984 World Series
1a. Detroit Red Wings win first Stanley Cup in 42 Years
2. Kirk Gibson's L.A. Dodgers World Series Homer
3. Any time U of Michigan beat Ohio State (Once upon a time, when dinosaurs roamed the earth)
4. Almost anytime Barry Sanders had the ball :jump:
5. through 9. I'm sure they are bouncing in my head somewhere
10. Zenyatta wins 2010 Breeder's Cup Classic

Cardus
10-17-2010, 12:34 AM
I considered Hagler Hearns and believed the best round and best 3 rounds, but it was not the event and did not have the hype and controversy that Hagler Leonard had.

I loved Hagler as well and remember when Mustafa Hamsho said bad things about the USA in the pre fight press conference and Hagler beat him to the point that he needed 60 stitches after the fight.

Without researching it, do you remember the Sports Illustrated headline for this fight?

exactatom
10-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Without researching it, do you remember the Sports Illustrated headline for this fight?

Sorry I do not and I will not cheat to look it up just to appear smarter than I am. Please enlighten us.

joanied
10-18-2010, 10:55 AM
This is a really good subject for a thread...but, jeeze, there are so many great sports moments, for me, it's just about impossible to think of all of them...outside of racing, I don't have many at all...going way back, when the brooklyn Dodgers won the WS against the Yankees...then the Bronco's Super Bowl, and way back again, the jets (Namath) beating the Colts in the Super Bowl...in horse racing, just too many for me...of course for all of us, I guess Secretariat's Belmont has to rank as #1...others for me are both of Tiznow's Classic wins, Foolish Pleasure's Derby, Rags to Riches beating Curlin, Da Hoss winning after a zillion year layoff, Zenyatt's Classic last year, Beautiful Pleasure's Distaff, Personal Ensign's Distaff...the list is probably quite long...but as for the actual thread title...if Zenyatta wins the Classic again this year...that will rank up there in my top three selections...it will be very emotional and well as incredibley exciting.

gm10
10-18-2010, 12:10 PM

Probably number one, because of the way she did it, and the electric atmosphere at Santa Anita during and right after the race. Simply the best.

Pick6
10-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Zenyatta v. Rachel at Oaklawn would have ranked very high.

PaceAdvantage
10-18-2010, 06:51 PM
greater than Rags to Riches beating Curlin in the stretch for the Belmont Stakes??Most certainly.

PaceAdvantage
10-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Probably number one, because of the way she did it, and the electric atmosphere at Santa Anita during and right after the race. Simply the best.I believe the original poster is inquiring about her anticipated victory in this 2010 BCC.

PaceAdvantage
10-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Zenyatta v. Rachel at Oaklawn would have ranked very high.So NOT the question asked.

Cardus
10-18-2010, 08:16 PM
A win by Zenyatta would be the greatest moment for a horse since Ben Hur.

CincyHorseplayer
10-18-2010, 08:29 PM
I don't care what it means historically.At this point,after hearing so much venom around this girl,I want to see her win and go out in a blaze of glory.I'll be rooting for her even if the bet isn't in hand.Enjoying that notion in peace is another matter!

cj
10-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Zenyatta v. Rachel at Oaklawn would have ranked very high.

Yes, the end of the streak would have been memorable.

Valuist
10-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Forget all sports. As far as racing goes, here are some of my top memories:

1. Manila beating Dancing Brave---DB was supposed to be the best horse in Europe in 50 years. Yes I know it was a tough ship and coming off a tough race, but 10-1 or so on Manila, one of the great grass runners in the last 25 years?

2. I liked Cigar more than most on this board, who seem to be under the mistaken belief that horses like Holy Bull were superior to him (kind of like the misguided souls who believed Easy Goer was better than Sunday Silence). But a great race was one where Cigar got beat. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbcF0rz0Qgc

3. Arazi's unbelievably powerful run to win the 1991 BC Juvenile

4. Personal Ensign gutting it out to run down a loose on the lead Derby winner in Winning Colors in the 1988 BC Distaff

5. Sunday Silence prevailing in a long drive over Easy Goer in the 1989 Preakness.