PDA

View Full Version : conditional bets

superskyaaa
10-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Does anyone know of a way to use conditional bets to set a maximum.
I'm interested in limiting my bets to between 3-7:1, but twinspires only allows you to set a minimum. Any suggestions on how to get around this???

Jake
10-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Does anyone know of a way to use conditional bets to set a maximum.
I'm interested in limiting my bets to between 3-7:1, but twinspires only allows you to set a minimum. Any suggestions on how to get around this???

Email Twinspires and suggest what might work here. I think that they work hard to address customer demands. Understand that it's a function of their programming framework which is currently Abode-based Flash and Flex, but I think they are trying very hard to response to customer requirements. At least, give it a shot.

Jake

DJofSD
10-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Be careful with the conditional bets facility. It is not as user friendly as you might expect it to be.

By this I mean you could end of with missed betting oppotunities when a minimum odds is briefly dipped below. You might not even see it if you are actually monitoring but the Twin Spires computers will and your conditional bet will be nullified.

I had this happen to me and when I attempted to get information about the particular race and horse to see when the minimum odds was not met, the representatives at Twin Spires only had a polite 'too bad, so sad, now go away.' There was not any proof that my wager was invalidated other than their word.

You might also be leary of the end of the betting period/0 minutes to post condition. Twin Spires will use the time the stewards have announced and not the actual off time. So, in other words, if a race has been scheduled to go off at 4:10 but due to whatever reason, it actually does not go off until 4:15, tough cookies if this messes up your conditional wager.

Caveat emptor.

PaceAdvantage
10-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Be careful with the conditional bets facility. It is not as user friendly as you might expect it to be.

By this I mean you could end of with missed betting oppotunities when a minimum odds is briefly dipped below. You might not even see it if you are actually monitoring but the Twin Spires computers will and your conditional bet will be nullified.

I had this happen to me and when I attempted to get information about the particular race and horse to see when the minimum odds was not met, the representatives at Twin Spires only had a polite 'too bad, so sad, now go away.' There was not any proof that my wager was invalidated other than their word.

You might also be leary of the end of the betting period/0 minutes to post condition. Twin Spires will use the time the stewards have announced and not the actual off time. So, in other words, if a race has been scheduled to go off at 4:10 but due to whatever reason, it actually does not go off until 4:15, tough cookies if this messes up your conditional wager.

Caveat emptor.They should have it as I have it in my program that I wrote. Once the tote reaches 0MTP (or 1mtp or whatever cutoff you set), the program starts looking to see if the bet qualifies. It will do so until the race goes off (actually, my program will do so until the race is deemed official... :lol: )

That way, I never miss a wager where the odds are where I need them to be at any point past my cutoff....say a race starts 3 minutes later because of an equipment change...

With twinspires and other conditional outlets, they only check ONCE at the exact cutoff time you specify, and that's it...they should continue checking PAST the cutoff time IMO, or at least give you that option.

cj
10-15-2010, 06:03 PM
With twinspires and other conditional outlets, they only check ONCE at the exact cutoff time you specify, and that's it...they should continue checking PAST the cutoff time IMO, or at least give you that option.

This is exactly right, and a big downfall of conditional betting.