PDA

View Full Version : HOW DO YOU ADJUST FOR THE FALSE START??

delayjf
09-11-2003, 12:28 AM
On a earlier post, I stated that I had observed that at Delmar, the run up distance at one mile was @ 70-80 yards. It occurred to me that the following scenario was possible whenever a longer that usual run up distance existed.

Horse A breaks out of the gate like a bolt and trips the teletimer 2-3 lengths ahead of the rest of the field (hense the false start), then fades and finishes up the track.

Somebody on this board correctly noted that this scenario would play havoc with the early pace times / figures. It occurred to me that the same thing would apply to the final time as well, with the speedball starting the race timing well ahead of the winner, wouldn't this have the affect of a creating an artificially slow time?

Would not a simular problem exist if a horse were to break unusually slow perhaps 5-6 lengths behind the field.

Has any figure makers out there attempted to deal with this situation?

Pace Cap'n
09-11-2003, 08:54 AM
While we are on the subject, does anyone have any idea why the "run-up distance" even exists in the first place?

Why in the world would the timing of the race not start when the gate opens?

My guess is because "That's the way it's always been done.".

Zaf
09-11-2003, 09:34 AM
It should be a constsant everywhere. I know the Sheets time the race from the start to produce their figures. Maybe they have an edge because of that. I am not willing to pay $35 per track to find out.

ZAFONIC

Zaf
09-11-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by delayjf

Horse A breaks out of the gate like a bolt and trips the teletimer 2-3 lengths ahead of the rest of the field (hense the false start), then fades and finishes up the track.

Somebody on this board correctly noted that this scenario would play havoc with the early pace times / figures. It occurred to me that the same thing would apply to the final time as well, with the speedball starting the race timing well ahead of the winner, wouldn't this have the affect of a creating an artificially slow time?

Would not a simular problem exist if a horse were to break unusually slow perhaps 5-6 lengths behind the field.

Has any figure makers out there attempted to deal with this situation?

For sure in your first scenario the horses in that field would receive a slower final figure. If the horses get to the beam in a slow manner it should have the opposite effect and enhance their final speed numbers.

The best way is to time from the gate, who runs fastest from start to finish.

ZAFONIC

Valuist
09-11-2003, 10:47 AM
I try to take into account the horse's natural running style. If its a horse who figures to be far behind, I may not give it much extra credit. But a speedball that breaks 4 behind the field is facing a very tough trip, and will likely try to rush up. I try to gauge where the horse should be after about an 1/8th of a mile. If the horse should be 2-3 lengths behind at that point and is 5-6, I'll figure it broke 3 lengths slow. Maybe there's a better way; its one of those subjective things with no one right answer.

Pace Cap'n- I think you answered your own question. It seems like so many in track management have that philosophy. Its amazing any progress ever is made.