PDA

View Full Version : Chilean Miners Made It Out!

NJ Stinks
10-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Amazing and heart-warming story!

To see so many people around the world so happy for the same reason is a beautiful thing.

Rookies
10-13-2010, 09:27 PM
HIP=HIP=HOORAY! :ThmbUp:

johnhannibalsmith
10-13-2010, 09:31 PM
I must agree NJ.

Though I'm inclined to watch it like I might watch basketball, the last few minutes with the highlights immediately following the conclusion - it's kind of wonderfully unique that the same thing that made it so dreadful - so many people to be rescued - also made it this ongoing celebration for tens of hours, a little undercurrent of happiness throughout the day - another miner made it! And another miner made it! And another!

ArlJim78
10-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Rarely does a human interest story cut so directly across all borders and languages like this one has. Good to see their country so proud and energized.

boxcar
10-13-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm very impressed with the Chilean president. If only this country had a leader like this guy -- and he hasn't been in office all that long and has had to deal with two national disasters, already. And he speaks extremely well, spontaneously.

Also, the last guy out was quite a leader. He kept everything together for all these weeks.

Kudos to all the miners, the rescue team and all the leaders of the world who called president Pinera personally to wish him well during this crisis. (Unfortunately, BO wasn't named as one of them. I suppose he couldn't be bothered to pick up his phone.)

I think I'll put Chile on my must see list.

Boxcar

Tom
10-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Very heartwarming to watch.
Parties, champagne, ballons.....even a mistress! :D

Reminded me a lot of watching them rescue little Jessica from the well back in what, 1987?

Hats off to Chile!

RaceBookJoe
10-13-2010, 10:00 PM
What a great ending !!!!

jognlope
10-14-2010, 07:43 AM
People in my apt. building were all in the lobby with a fire drill and I tried to raise some excitement about the fact that the 20th miner was on the verge of coming into freedom and all I got was dead stares, and one said "I bet they smell." She was sleepy from napping (and not working), perfectly able bodied person in her 20s.

Tom
10-14-2010, 09:34 AM
69 days.....33 miners......no TP. :eek:

so.cal.fan
10-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Isn't it just absolutely refreshing to see a patriotic President, Sebastian Pinero, who loves his country and loves the people of his country!

Bravo, Senor Presidente! Bravo.
Bravo , good people of Chile.
God Bless all of you! :ThmbUp:

Mike at A+
10-14-2010, 12:01 PM
69 days.....33 miners......no TP. :eek:
It's a good thing they didn't have any Activia down there.

Tom
10-14-2010, 12:24 PM
It's a good thing they didn't have any Activia down there.

Or broccoli!

boxcar
10-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Isn't it just absolutely refreshing to see a patriotic President, Sebastian Pinero, who loves his country and loves the people of his country!

Bravo, Senor Presidente! Bravo.
Bravo , good people of Chile.
God Bless all of you! :ThmbUp:

Exactly! The whole rescue operation was an extremely edifying experience to watch from the way the people handled themselves, to the professionalism of the rescue team -- but also the way the Head of State of that country comported himself. I was really impressed by him. Obviously a person with a ton of class who wasn't afraid to throw himself into the situation. He wasn't "managing" the situation from afar -- but right there in the field. He wasn't afraid to rub elbows with the common people.

And whatever it was that took the really bad turn south for those poor trapped miners, he didn't play politics with the mining industry or with the Mining Minister (who was also on site). He didn't play the blame game. Or he didn't threaten to close down all mining operations. Or he didn't threaten to get his parliament to pass sweeping oversight laws, etc., etc. Whatever went wrong -- that was all going to be sorted out after the miners were out and not before the world in public. This president is a real class act. This country would do well to have someone in the oval office half this gent's stature.

I echo SMF's sentiments. God bless this little country of Chile!

Boxcar

ArlJim78
10-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Yes el presidente looking very genuine, not a photo-op appearance, and no TOTUS required. spoke compassionately from the heart. in other words, a true leader.

I'm guessing that he probably didn't even require multiple vacations and/or numerous rounds of golf to get himself through the crisis either. he's only been president a short while too, and I didn't pick up any attempt to blame the prior leader either. You know, like Obama did with our mine disaster.

very refreshing, and uplifting, not divisive at all. strange too, he seemed to exude real pride in his country. what a concept.

boxcar
10-14-2010, 02:03 PM
very refreshing, and uplifting, not divisive at all. strange too, he seemed to exude real pride in his country. what a concept.

Increasingly becoming a novel one and doomed to extinction under our regime.

Boxcar

NJ Stinks
10-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Obama haters don't feel the love. :(

Now that's a FOX News lead story if I ever heard one. :rolleyes:

boxcar
10-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Obama haters don't feel the love. :(

Now that's a FOX News lead story if I ever heard one. :rolleyes:

But the Obama suck-ups do?

Boxcar

so.cal.fan
10-14-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm afraid you have it backwards, NJ.
It's Obama who does not feel the love. He is a sociopath, incapable of feeling love for anything or anyone but himself.
My family watched these rescues, it was wonderful to see this happening, I cried with every rescue. It really was heartwarming, you had that right, NJS.
It just kept running through my mind, why couldn't we have a President like the President of Chile?
There are several people involved in So. Cal. racing who were originally from Chile. I was so happy for them, because I know they were full of pride for their country and their people.
It's a wonderful feeling, most of us felt that way after 9/11, we were proud of our country, proud of the people of New York City.
I want to feel that pride again. God willing, we will. It's sad to realize that Obama will never feel that way about this country. I sense this man, Obama has contempt for the people of this country, and our values. He doesn't share our values, he doesn't share President Sebastian Pinera's values, nor his character.
Sorry, NJS....Obama is not capable of feeling love for any of us, or this country.

Greyfox
10-14-2010, 09:10 PM
It was a wonderful heart warming story.
Well done Chile.

But that was Chapter 1.
Some of these miners may get rich from their tales, the movie, the TV etc etc
Unfortunately, the psychological damage that has undoubtedly been inflicted on them may cause major problems as the years go on. Nightmares, anxiety, dread, depression, possible suicide, crime, divorces and who knows what can be expected.
Also, early reports are that this particular mine will likely never reopen.
These brave souls will become "yesterday's news" pretty fast.
The media and public can be very fickle.

On another note, while the TV coverage was good, it was bordering on "overkill."
Wolf Blitzer said "You can't get enough of this...it's electrifying television..."
Pshaw, I say. Not to be a spoil sport, but I had my fill of it.

so.cal.fan
10-14-2010, 10:04 PM
I hope the Chilean spirit is strong, Greyfox.
I think it is.
My point was the glaring difference between their President and our current President.
One is a patriot of good character- :) . The other (sadly, our's) is a narcissistic
megalomaniac.
:(

Tom
10-14-2010, 10:06 PM
SCF...remember when WE had a president who actually acted like one? :(

so.cal.fan
10-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Tom,
I know you and I did not vote for Barack Obama, we didn't think he was the best man for the job.

I don't know about you, Tom, but he is much WORSE than I thought he was. :(

Greyfox
10-14-2010, 10:31 PM
SCF...remember when WE had a president who actually acted like one? :(

Ike??

Tom
10-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Abe.

DJofSD
10-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Nova (PBS) airing a program tonight (Tuesday) about the rescue.

Tom
10-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Watched a few minutes of it and taped the rest - really interesting stuff.

ArlJim78
10-26-2010, 11:15 PM
thanks for the headsup. I watched the whole thing, it was good stuff. It's a miracle those guys are alive.

bigmack
10-26-2010, 11:30 PM
I didn't follow the story 'cause I figured it would turn out the way it did. "Fortunes Told for a Buck" is my new gig.

Richest story of the saga....

American rescue worker goes down, calls back up and says "How many did you say there are?" - "33" comes back the call.

He says he's made several counts and axed 'the boys' they all come up with 32. They reiterate 'up-top', "Yo, it's 33"

'Member the guy who had a wife & a mistress? He says he don't wanna go up and would prefer to "stay bellow" :lol:

Took the other cats something like 20 days to talk him into rising into his quagmire. "Come on up, Ya Moax" :D

He was hiding in the back room somewhere. From what I heard they had a lot of room to work with.

One guy ran 5 miles/day for while. :eek: "Hep me, Hep me, I gotta run another 5 miles"