PDA

View Full Version : how does this scam work exactly..?

JPinMaryland
10-13-2010, 01:39 AM
I guess Craig's List is full of scam artitsts in case you didnt know that already. I place an ad on Craig's list to rent out my basement. I get maybe 4 or 5 legit replies, people call me, people tell me their situation etc.

Then I also get about 6 or 7 very shady responses from a) women between age 23 and 27 who b) are willing to play be cashier's check, most of them sight unseen c) their employer is footing the bill so I will paid in excess and have to send some back after first month plus security d) all of them from Russia or Phillipines, and one from Mexico e) some them want to date me and show me their photo as well.

They all want information e..g address/phone and stuff but none of them ask me for my bank number yet....

So exactly how do these people intend to rip me off? Rob me? Scam my bank account? Just curious..

Dave Schwartz
10-13-2010, 02:08 AM
The check is deposited. You write them a check. Eventually, you find out their check is no good.

JPinMaryland
10-13-2010, 03:02 AM
Seems simple enough, don't people wait to see if these things clear? I guess because the scammers never set foot in US, they really have little risk..

lamboguy
10-13-2010, 03:50 AM
i actually had a girl show up to rent an apartment from me. she told me she was going to call me later on in the day and tell me if she wanted the place. i said fine, she called back and told me she wanted it, but she had an emergency in california and would send me the money, she wanted me to give her my checking account number, i said no, and never heard from her again!

delayjf
10-13-2010, 09:54 AM
I wonder if this would work - Give her a fake account # inform the police who set up a sting to track and arrest anyone attempting to access the account.

Dave Schwartz
10-13-2010, 11:23 AM
I guess that the way the scam works, the bank verifies that the check is good, and it is on the day that they check. But when the check is sent for collection it comes back no good because by that time all the funds are removed from the bank.

Apparently they do a similar scam with cashier's checks for cars.

The bank verifies the check, the title holder hands over the title and the car is shipped out of the country. Three weeks later the check actually gets returned to the deposit bank as "stop payment." (Yes, you can stop payment on a cashier's check.)

Just goes to show that cash is still king.

Dave

jballscalls
10-13-2010, 11:28 AM
i sold a guitar recently on CL and had lots of responses from the east coast, one of them even sent a check for $200 more than i was asking. the check was from an armored car company LOL

the police told me just not to cash it and dont sweat it

PhantomOnTour
10-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Help me out here...I am missing something. When one sells something on CL is it normal for the seller to issue a check or the buyer? And why in God's name would ANYONE accept a check!!?? How does the seller get talked into writing a check? How do you get scammed on an apartment rental when no goods are exchanging hands?

These scams seem to only work with the participation of a total fool on one end.

Dave Schwartz
10-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Phantom,

As Larsen Whipsnade said, "You can't cheat an honest man."

Dave

delayjf
10-13-2010, 02:36 PM
They pull this same kind of scam with jobs, rental property, items for sale you name it.

kingfin66
10-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Help me out here...I am missing something. When one sells something on CL is it normal for the seller to issue a check or the buyer? And why in God's name would ANYONE accept a check!!?? How does the seller get talked into writing a check? How do you get scammed on an apartment rental when no goods are exchanging hands?

These scams seem to only work with the participation of a total fool on one end.

A) Some people are extremely trusting and think that everybody is as honest as they are.

B) Sometime people are not half bright.

C) Some people are both A and B.

This is why scams work in general.

skate
10-13-2010, 03:58 PM

Welp, hate to but, in the example, an excess was given for rent, so then the excess was waiting to be sent back.

Many of these type, have a seller that's told "we have a sale", but we need to cover the Tax, so send us a check.

Hey, you can use Toms address when sending checks.:)

chickenhead
10-13-2010, 04:49 PM
I noticed while looking for rentals -- that many houses for rent on Craigslist are scams. People just list houses that empty and listed on the MLS, with below market rents, I assume to try to scam deposits out of people.

JustRalph
10-13-2010, 04:53 PM
craigslist should be taken down.......just my opine

JPinMaryland
10-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Yeah, Craig's List seems to have a lot more problems then ebay because ebay sellers get rated. I had one item, that did not get to my place in time specified and they refunded all the money immediately as they had a very high rating and didnt want to lose it. on my end, it was for a present so it was time sensitive; i do think that model seems to work, although for sellers it is kind of a bitch for what they take out and charge..

Pell Mell
10-13-2010, 09:27 PM
craigslist should be taken down.......just my opine

Along with facebook.